Ever Met Anyone Famous?

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
I'm hoping other people will post their tenuous claims to brushes with famous people. So far I can brag about:

Meeting and getting David Prowes's (Darth Vader) autographed picture when I was a little nipper ... then destroying when I was older, drunk and trying to clean it

Dating a famous politician's daughter and colluding with her to hide some 'video nasties' in her parent's house .... can't go into anymore details than that, sorry

Sharing a lift/elevator with John Craven who was swearing at his pa ... something to do with taxes

Being an extra on One Foot In The Grave and being advised on the best coffee (for some reason) by Richard 'Victor Meldrew' Wilson

Nearly peeing next to Rolf Harris

Sitting in a cramped DJ booth with my mate and The Prodigy (before they were famous) at Shelly's rave club in Stoke and reassuring them that 'Charlie', even if it was about to go in the charts would not kill Rave music ... I might have been wrong about that one.

Interviewing Mudhoney when they were being supported by a not yet famous Nirvana sat in the background

Nearly ran down by one of the Queen's drivers on an otherwise empty street in Burton on Trent with Prince Phillip scowling at me and the Queen supressing a giggle

Providing crude F/X makeups and props for an Evil Dead fan film and talking the guy who worked on the original into doing the same thing

My favourite! .... I sold fish (cod loin to be precise) to the actor John Hurt about three years ago and even managed to squeeze in a chat about his films. Next time he came to my workplace he signed my DVD of Midnight Express

David Walliams instructed his 'people' to ask me to stop filming behind the scenes of his latest (next November release) Agatha Christie thing about a month ago in Cromer, Norfolk. I carried on filming anyway

I haven't got any connections with the media or any famous friends, all or most of these have either been good luck or just pure cheek :)

Swifty

I'm too much of a coward to do that ... have you ever met anyone famous Mythopoeika? ..

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I'm too much of a coward to do that ... have you ever met anyone famous Mythopoeika? ..
Well, I've met Chesney Hawkes and his Mum and Dad (if that counts). I've also met a few famous science fiction authors and artists.
I've known a few people who've met or known famous people, but I don't really tend to bump into anyone myself.

Swifty

Cool .. What's the story behind you meeting Chesney and his Mum and Dad? ...

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
I'm about to change jobs for one where I'm likely to meet famous people in a stressful situation. There WILL be photos and maybe a sacking. :D

Swifty

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Cool .. What's the story behind you meeting Chesney and his Mum and Dad? ...
Well, my Mum and Dad go to a particular church and Chesney's Mum and Dad were (at that time) also regulars at the church. Mutual friends held a garden party, and I got dragged along to it. I met them all. Chesney and his brother and sister were all very young at the time. I only remembered them because of the weird names they'd given to the kids.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
'Met' or 'was in close proximity with'?

I used to study political philosophy and a handful of other courses with a current member of the shadow cabinet - we also lived in the same block and used to chat together regularly in the bar.

Close proximity (with or without idle words exchanged):
Terry Pratchett (belongs in his own books),
David Gemmell (a warm-hearted, witty and decent man of whose early death I was sorry to hear).
Craig Charles (about the time he was wrongly accused of rape),
Simon Callow (in passing, seemed very busy),
Mark Lamarr (on a binge in Leeds),
Clive Dunn (as a child),
Captain Sensible (at a music festival - seemed peeved with the rest of The Damned,
The Levellers (couldn't name them - free backstage pass).
Kylie (as a child, asked her questions on Going Live - she's miniature).
Machine Head (at a signing - they were all wasted).

Ulalume

tart of darkness
I had an affair with an indie rock musician, but one only depressed and gloomy people would know.

*goes away to reconsider posting that* :oops:

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
I've met Neil Gaiman a couple of times at signings, Clive Barker once, also been at signings for but didn't speak to PD James and Julian Cope.

The signing I never did was Quentin Tarentino, can't stand the guy but a disabled friend was trying to mither me into taking along a replica automatic pistol to sign. Unsurprisingly I said no, and Quentin was a no show anyway.

Once got a kiss from Genesis P-Orridge at a gig. :cool:

Oddest and unlooked for encounter was with a former Ethiopian ambassador to the UN, who was engaged in adultery with a then associate of mine while his asylum claim went through, and before he imported his wife.

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Sir Bobby Charlton (gave him directions to the nearest toilet)
Ian Rankin (nice guy, very chatty and approachable)
The Queen (tiny and very bored looking)
Harry Worth (old telly comic - VERY grumpy)
Roy Kinnear (friendly and funny but had a very red face as if his head was about to explode)

Ulalume

tart of darkness
Arrgh, I can't, he'll probably sue me. And he's wealthy and I'm not. :(

But I just thought of a good one I can tell. I met Stevie Ray Vaughan when I was a young teen. It was embarrassing too, because I didn't realize who he was. He was just dressed in normal clothes, not like a pimp, so...:p
We were at this hip record store I frequented back then, and this man was standing next to me looking through CD's. I see a JJ Cale CD, and I comment to this man (with all the arrogance of an adolescent) that Cale's version of "after midnight" was so much better than Eric Clapton's, that Clapton was a fool who didn't know what he was doing. :eek: The man started to laugh. Then the store owner came over an introduced him as Stevie Ray Vaughan. I was so embarrassed. Vaughan reached over and mussed my hair, with this look like, "aw". I thought I was going to pass out.

I only found out that Vaughan and Clapton were friends when Vaughan died, then I was mortified all over again. I've always wondered if he'd ever mentioned to Clapton that some pubescent girl had called him a fool. :oops:

Arrgh, I can't, he'll probably sue me. And he's wealthy and I'm not. :(

But I just thought of a good one I can tell. I met Stevie Ray Vaughan when I was a young teen. It was embarrassing too, because I didn't realize who he was. He was just dressed in normal clothes, not like a pimp, so...:p
We were at this hip record store I frequented back then, and this man was standing next to me looking through CD's. I see a JJ Cale CD, and I comment to this man (with all the arrogance of an adolescent) that Cale's version of "after midnight" was so much better than Eric Clapton's, that Clapton was a fool who didn't know what he was doing. :eek: The man started to laugh. Then the store owner came over an introduced him as Stevie Ray Vaughan. I was so embarrassed. Vaughan reached over and mussed my hair, with this look like, "aw". I thought I was going to pass out.

I only found out that Vaughan and Clapton were friends when Vaughan died, then I was mortified all over again. I've always wondered if he'd ever mentioned to Clapton that some pubescent girl had called him a fool. :oops:
Clapton would have you Knocking At Heavens Door!

Swifty

.. but Vaughan didn't argue with you so maybe he secretly agreed?

I want to know about that indie rock musician !! .... sounds like Ritchie Manic to me .. or Ian Curtis .. or whatshisface out of Coldplay ... they're the only downer indie rock musicians I can think of at the moment ..

A few of us subcontracted as roadies to work at a Beastie Boys gig at the N.E.C. in Birmingham (the Intergalactic Planetary tour, I still have the crew T-Shirt) interrupted some idiots who were playing basketball when we were walking in and were shouted at .. so we told them to f**k off and they laughed .. and then we found out they were The Beastie Boys :oops:

Simon

Devoted Cultist
I had an affair with an indie rock musician, but one only depressed and gloomy people would know.

*goes away to reconsider posting that* :oops:
Was it one of (deep breath) Morrissey, Robert Smith, the Gallagher brothers, the Stone Roses, Radiohead, Paul Weller, Wayne Hussey, Ian McCulloch or Pete Doherty?

Ulalume

tart of darkness
.. but Vaughan didn't argue with you so maybe he secretly agreed?
Well, I don't know if he agreed that Clapton was a fool, but I suspect he agreed about JJ Cale. :)

I want to know about that indie rock musician !! .... sounds like Ritchie Manic to me .. or Ian Curtis .. or whatshisface out of Coldplay ... they're the only downer indie rock musicians I can think of at the moment ..
Ooh, this is probably one of those politician things where you try to get a confirmation through denial, but I can't rest having anyone think I got romantic with Chris Martin. Just...no. :eek:
(you're closer with Ian Curtis, but about 20 years too early and in the wrong country. There, that's enough to figure it out. Now I really will say no more.)

A few of us subcontracted as roadies to work at a Beastie Boys gig at the N.E.C. in Birmingham (the Intergalactic Planetary tour, I still have the crew T-Shirt) interrupted some idiots who were playing basketball when we were walking in and were shouted at .. so we told them to f**k off and they laughed .. and then we found out they were The Beastie Boys :oops:
That's not hard to imagine! :D

My Other Half had a similar experience when he mistook AC/DC for a bunch of drunken roadies.

Edited to add - SImon, Morrisey is the only really gloomy fellow in that bunch and he's asexual. :p

Last edited:

Krepostnoi

Popular orange vegetable
I've been told to get out of the way by Roland Rivron, I've had John Parrott refuse to get into a lift with me, and I'm in danger of being typecast as a Russian in David Jason productions...

David Jason, in my experience, is a true gent, being quite affable even with the lowest of the low: us extras. I was a Russian bouncer in one episode of Diamond Geezer, and he was to stare me down as I made to search him. As we waited for the scene to begin, he was chatting away to his co-star, but including us in the conversation. Action was called, and his transformation from genial old buffer into hard-faced ex-gangster was instantaneous - mesmerising to experience at such close hand.

Like that with the stars, me :p

GNC

King-Sized Canary
"Mirror, mirror on the wall, who's the fairest of them all?"
"Krishnan Guru-Murthy."

There's an obscure reference, but he did ask me for directions at a railway station. I told him where to go.

marion

Ungnoing.
Had to rack my brains, Princess Alia of Jordan, is she famous? Met her a few times when she was at school in the UK, she lived round the corner too us when I was a kid. Edit - she was the loveliest natured human being I have ever met.

Spudrick68

Justified & Ancient
I met the singer from Terrorvision as his sister was doing a PHD when I was at Uni and I knew her. Tyson Fury heavyweight boxer) is in the supermarket lots. I had a chat with Captain Sensible at the bar before a Damned gig, I think i was the only person who recognised him without a beret on. He was very well spoken and polite. I'm related to Phil Vickery (the chef, not the rugby player) so I've obviously met him!

Swifty

(you're closer with Ian Curtis, but about 20 years too early and in the wrong country. There, that's enough to figure it out. Now I really will say no more.
... sooo .. 20 years after Ian Curtis would be about 2000 .... Jarvis Cocker of PULP fame ? ...