Ever Met Anyone Famous?

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
The very same. Fairlawns Hotel - you probably know it. Hell, you probably worked there!
Astrali Accessories on the Red Brick Industrial estate, Aldridge. I was an accounts clerk. I don't think I've been to Fairlawns was that where Leo Sayer was staying?

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Always remember Leo on Celebrity Big Brother where he had the strop to end all strops and barged his way out of the compound, attempting to beat up a security guard literally twice his size in the process. That should have been the most memorable moment, but everyone forgot him the nanosecond the contestants started a race row. Still, I'm not one who adheres to stereotypes, but that was "small man syndrome" in action, right there.

AnonyJoolz

Captainess Sensible
I used to work for a local charity in a very 'nice' Dorset town, renowned for its prettiness, running a community café venture. I had a few semi-famous customers:

Mike Harding the folk singer/comedian (who was totally lovely)
Charles Collingwood & his wife Judy Bennet, actors in The Archers (equally nice)

I've met Bob Flowerdew on a couple of occasions, and Jekka McVicar (both well-known authors of gardening tomes)

I bumped into Kevin McCloud in my local Boots - about 16 years ago now - and he was very chatty about Great Designs and asked me what my favourite episode was etc., etc., In fact I had to finally excuse myself and edge away as I had a bus to catch!

Ian Hislop used to live nearby when he had young children and we'd see him a lot at local village fetes and sales.

EDIT: My husband's had slightly more current famous person experiences, he worked in the Indian restaurant trade for many years and as they're often the only place to get a meal in rural areas after 10pm, many actors & comedians would go for some grub after performing at the local theatres or filming nearby.

His best celeb so far is Jonny Depp, whilst he was filming The Libertine in Somerset. Except he had no idea who he was until I told him. According to my dear spouse he was an 'American who looked like a homeless person' but was very polite. so much for the expensive boho look!

He also describes Roy 'Chubby' Brown as a tosser of a customer (again he didn't know who he was until someone informed him) and Ed Byrne the comedian as a pleasant scruffbag (ditto)

Last edited:

Swifty

I used to work for a local charity in a very 'nice' Dorset town, renowned for its prettiness, running a community café venture. I had a few semi-famous customers:

Mike Harding the folk singer/comedian (who was totally lovely)
Charles Collingwood & his wife Judy Bennet, actors in The Archers (equally nice)

I've met Bob Flowerdew on a couple of occasions, and Jekka McVicar (both well-known authors of gardening tomes)

I bumped into Kevin McCloud in my local Boots - about 16 years ago now - and he was very chatty about Great Designs and asked me what my favourite episode was etc., etc., In fact I had to finally excuse myself and edge away as I had a bus to catch!

Ian Hislop used to live nearby when he had young children and we'd see him a lot at local village fetes and sales.
I went to school with a lad who's Dad was in The Archers, the lad's name was Ross White but I can't be bothered to work out who is Dad was/is to be honest.

Grumpyoldwoman

Junior Acolyte
I knew Jill Dando,my godfather worked with her.

Met Sir Anthony Hopkins whilst he was filming locally,smashing bloke with the loveliest smile and eyes.

Alan Titchmarsh in a local bookshop,waiting in the queue to get him to sign one of his books,he got me to jump the queue as my son (a baby at the time) was getting bored and was whinging.

Adam Frost from Gardener's Word popped into work one day and stopped for a chat.

A local newsreader often comes into where I work.

In common with thousands of people around this area I've bought a few pints from George Ezra (of beer, not blood). He used to be a barman before chart success came calling. Nice lad.

Ogdred Weary

Resurrectionist
I went to a Talk by David Attenborough in London in 1995 just after he'd finished the Secret Life of Plants series. I know this wasn't really *meeting* him but it was a small informal lecture theatre with less than 50 people there. We had a 45 minute slide show on the making of the series, including candid shots of David being strapped into a chair and hoisted to the top of the jungle canopy (he hates heights). There also snaps of earlier expeditions and he explained the difficulties of trying to film hippos in swamp land whilst on the backs of elephants (they don't like each other). Next came 45 minutes of Question and Answer which covered everything - a 10 year old kid had been primed by his father to ask about pay and earnings. Lastly was a 45 minute Book signing session.
Everything you've heard about Attenborough being a kind, charming, friendly, patient, good-humoured, intelligent, interesting and enthusiastic person is true.
So, did you ask him about The Yeti?

Ulalume

tart of darkness
Not me and not "met," but my husband was pretty sure he saw Reese Witherspoon gassing up her car one afternoon. This is not something one expects to see in a small town, so he ended up staring, trying to make out if it was really her. A few minutes later, he bumped into a friend who said she'd just been catering a party for a big celebrity - though she was sworn to secrecy as to their identity. Hmmm.

So we don't know if it was truly Reese Witherspoon, but if it was, my husband is now worried she thinks he's a creepy-staring-in-the-parking-lot guy. :watch::p

Peripart

Antediluvian
Astrali Accessories on the Red Brick Industrial estate, Aldridge. I was an accounts clerk. I don't think I've been to Fairlawns was that where Leo Sayer was staying?
Staying? Not sure. We'd gone for a meal and Mr Sayer's small group just happened to be on the next table.

I think I know the industrial estate you worked on. Could it be called Brickyard Lane, or something like that?

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
I knew Jill Dando,my godfather worked with her.

Met Sir Anthony Hopkins whilst he was filming locally,smashing bloke with the loveliest smile and eyes.

Alan Titchmarsh in a local bookshop,waiting in the queue to get him to sign one of his books,he got me to jump the queue as my son (a baby at the time) was getting bored and was whinging.

Adam Frost from Gardener's Word popped into work one day and stopped for a chat.

A local newsreader often comes into where I work.
I've a friend in America who has done some extra work on movies and she played an out of focus person in the background of the shopping mall scene in Hannibal, she said Hopkins was really nice to everyone, very chatty and with a great sense of humour. Her other favourite was Christopher Plummer who she described as a "proper gentleman."

The opposites were Brad Pitt ("a jerk") and Sandra Bullock ("don't get me started on that nasty ***!!*!*!")

Swifty

Staying? Not sure. We'd gone for a meal and Mr Sayer's small group just happened to be on the next table.

I think I know the industrial estate you worked on. Could it be called Brickyard Lane, or something like that?
It was on Anglian road, next to the Eddie Stobart truck place.

Xanatic*

Justified & Ancient
I saw a local celebrity at the subway, who performs under the name Timbuktu. Sadly I think I also stared a bit too much trying to figure out if it was really him.

I've also met and chatted with a few famous scientists but I guess most people would have no idea who they are.

James_H

And I like to roam the land
I met Kevin Shields of mbv together with J Mascis after a witch gig. Kevin, counter to his reputation, was very friendly and absolutely lovely - J seemed shy and probably very stoned.

I'm going to be very lazy and quote myself from the RIP thread some time back:

...One of the several ways I earn my keep involves the entertainment industry - but, like most people who work in that area and who aren't 'names' themselves, I am utterly immune to other people's fame.

Well...mostly.

Some years back I was about to finish a shift when someone mentioned, breathlessly, that John Hurt was in the members bar. Yeah, whatever - I thought, as I shouldered my bag and headed towards the door.

But - erm, hold on, I thought, as my stride appeared to slow down under its own volition - just, hold on: John...Hurt?

Okay, maybe I need a pint.

So I headed to the bar - walked in the door, and bumped into (literally) William Hurt. Oh, bollocks - I though - they got it wrong...it's only William Hurt. Fuck it, I'm going.

But - erm, hold on, I thought - just, hold on: William...Hurt?

(This was the same bar where I once found myself ordering a guinness when the lady next to me asked me to hold her bag for her. It had a dog in it. The lady was Britt Ekland. I stood there with a bag with a dog in it in one hand and a pint of the black stuff in the other while Ms Ekland took an inordinate amount of time to do whatever it was that prevented her from holding a a bag with a dog in it. At one point I caught the eye of the lady on the other side of me, who raised her eyebrows in amusement: it was Julie Christie.

Sometimes I love my job(s)).

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
(This was the same bar where I once found myself ordering a guinness when the lady next to me asked me to hold her bag for her. It had a dog in it. The lady was Britt Ekland. I stood there with a bag with a dog in it in one hand and a pint of the black stuff in the other while Ms Ekland took an inordinate amount of time to do whatever it was that prevented her from holding a a bag with a dog in it. At one point I caught the eye of the lady on the other side of me, who raised her eyebrows in amusement: it was Julie Christie.

Sometimes I love my job(s)).
I too have met Britt Ekland, although in my case, like your encounter with William Hurt, I literally bumped into her. She was doing a promotion for her newly released fragrance in a large department store (David Jones) in Parramatta, Sydney. I has been shopping for clothes and was in a hurry to leave, walking briskly for the escalators. Her people were setting up her small stage for her and she was standing to the side as I came rushing around the corner of a large pillar heading for the escalator and bumped right into her. I apologised to her immediately and she smiled and said "No problem." I have to say that she was stunningly beautiful. This would have been in 1986/7.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Lots of cyclists: I've interviewed Chris Boardman, Bradley Wiggins and Nicole Cooke (Olympic and multiple world champion), met Chris Hoy before he was famous, 1999 or 2000. I've ridden 60km with Francesco Moser (cycling royalty), and met Eddy Merckx (cycling god!), David Millar, Jan Ullrich, Stuart O'Grady, Sean Kelly, Stephen Roche, Hugh Porter, TV scientist and keen rider Adam Hart Davis...

Spent a day on a charity bike ride with ex-cricketer Michael Vaughan, and the evening in the bar with him later; post-Strictly, he's a hit with 'women of a certain age' who all wanted their picture taken with him, and he didn't let them down. The next day we spent 30 minutes in the Test Match Special commentary box with him and Geoffrey Boycott, who was lovely - got him on a good day. Had literary lunches with Boycott and David Gower, both times I was on the top table (I'm on good terms with my local bookshop!). David Gower is a real joy, a man who seems to live a charmed life, which he appreciates.

I used to volunteer on the Bath Fringe in the 1980s, and met Caroline Quentin, Jeremy Hardy, RD Laing (yep, that one, performing as a jazz pianist with Jeff Nuttall and Michael Horovitz; my brother picked them up from the station, having to drag Nuttall from the bar...), Gerry Sadowitz, Arthur Smith, John Hegley and many others. Best evening was a friend and me going for a drink in the pub with Graham Fellows (AKA Jilted John/John Shuttlewort, just the three of us.

I appeared as a talking head 'expert' on cult TV on a Granada Men and Motors programme with Frank Sidebottom (I've tried on his head, it reeked of beer and fags) and Jenny Powell – I gave her a kiss. I've interviewed Ian Rankin and John Connolly, and when I worked on a sci-fi mag met Andy Serkis and Steven Moffat among others. Serkis was very, very drunk!

The most famous people I've met are probably Paul and Linda McCartney, George Martin and Peter Blake at a private opening of a Linda McCartney exhibition at the Royal Photographic society. Paul and Linda were genuinely lovely and friendly.

I've also met the Mahathir bin Mohamad, prime minister of Malaysia. He launched a bike race in Malaysia I was covering for a magazine. Although his politics are anathema to me, he was warm, funny and genuinely 'charismatic', an often misused word. I also briefly met Alistair Campbell - I passed him backstage at a cycling event and said hello as I recognised the face, assuming he was a fellow journo, it took a few seconds for me to register who he was. Amusingly, he was roundly booed by the velodrome crowd when he was presenting the medals.

Sundry musicians include Robert Smith and Simon Gallup of the Cure – my brother was videoing an interview and I went along as location assistant. Had a good chat with Robert too.

Swifty

Best evening was a friend and me going for a drink in the pub with Graham Fellows (AKA Jilted John/John Shuttlewort, just the three of us
He used to be a lecturer at Tamworth college in the late 80's you know. I nearly met him but I'd be lying if I said I did. I was taught audio studies at Nuneaton college by Paul 'Snaker' Spear though who used to play with Dexy's Midnight Runners from time to time, he had a band called Expresso Bongo when I knew him and told us that Garry Glitter once tried to get off with him (he told us this years before Glitter was ousted as a paedo).

Swifty

I used to know someone else who was also taught by him.
Was that at North Warwickshire College Of Technology & Art in Nuneaton? .. Pam West was the drama teacher there, she used to star in very early episodes of Coronation Street and took me on location to a BBC2 drama once.

James_H

And I like to roam the land
Was that at North Warwickshire College Of Technology & Art in Nuneaton? .. Pam West was the drama teacher there, she used to star in very early episodes of Coronation Street and took me on location to a BBC2 drama once.
Couldn't be sure, sorry, it's a very vague memory.

Okay, I'm being lazy again. From the RIP thread back in 2014:

As a teenage stagehand I once walked in our crewroom to find Kate O'Mara gargling hot water in nothing but her bra and pants.

She said something like: 'Ah, that's better - I have to do that in the morning to get my throat to wake up.'

I answered something like: '......errrrmmmmmm....furblewibblewubbleshhhottthhhinl...etc'

My mum did B+B at the time and it was only when I bumped into Ms O'Mara on our landing wearing a very short silky dressing gown (her, that is - not me) that I realised said lady was staying with us.

She said something like: 'Oh, hey - you get everywhere, don't you?'

I answered something like: '......errrrmmmmmm....furblewibblewubbleshhhottthhhinl...etc'

Krepostnoi

Almost uniquely humourless
Lots of cyclists: I've interviewed Chris Boardman, Bradley Wiggins and Nicole Cooke (Olympic and multiple world champion), met Chris Hoy before he was famous, 1999 or 2000. I've ridden 60km with Francesco Moser (cycling royalty), and met Eddy Merckx (cycling god!), David Millar, Jan Ullrich, Stuart O'Grady, Sean Kelly, Stephen Roche, Hugh Porter, TV scientist and keen rider Adam Hart Davis...

Spent a day on a charity bike ride with ex-cricketer Michael Vaughan, and the evening in the bar with him later; post-Strictly, he's a hit with 'women of a certain age' who all wanted their picture taken with him, and he didn't let them down. The next day we spent 30 minutes in the Test Match Special commentary box with him and Geoffrey Boycott, who was lovely - got him on a good day. Had literary lunches with Boycott and David Gower, both times I was on the top table (I'm on good terms with my local bookshop!). David Gower is a real joy, a man who seems to live a charmed life, which he appreciates.

I used to volunteer on the Bath Fringe in the 1980s, and met Caroline Quentin, Jeremy Hardy, RD Laing (yep, that one, performing as a jazz pianist with Jeff Nuttall and Michael Horovitz; my brother picked them up from the station, having to drag Nuttall from the bar...), Gerry Sadowitz, Arthur Smith, John Hegley and many others. Best evening was a friend and me going for a drink in the pub with Graham Fellows (AKA Jilted John/John Shuttlewort, just the three of us.

I appeared as a talking head 'expert' on cult TV on a Granada Men and Motors programme with Frank Sidebottom (I've tried on his head, it reeked of beer and fags) and Jenny Powell – I gave her a kiss. I've interviewed Ian Rankin and John Connolly, and when I worked on a sci-fi mag met Andy Serkis and Steven Moffat among others. Serkis was very, very drunk!

The most famous people I've met are probably Paul and Linda McCartney, George Martin and Peter Blake at a private opening of a Linda McCartney exhibition at the Royal Photographic society. Paul and Linda were genuinely lovely and friendly.

I've also met the Mahathir bin Mohamad, prime minister of Malaysia. He launched a bike race in Malaysia I was covering for a magazine. Although his politics are anathema to me, he was warm, funny and genuinely 'charismatic', an often misused word. I also briefly met Alistair Campbell - I passed him backstage at a cycling event and said hello as I recognised the face, assuming he was a fellow journo, it took a few seconds for me to register who he was. Amusingly, he was roundly booed by the velodrome crowd when he was presenting the medals.

Sundry musicians include Robert Smith and Simon Gallup of the Cure – my brother was videoing an interview and I went along as location assistant. Had a good chat with Robert too.
Nice try, but you'll never outdo Peripart! ;)

Swifty

According to an old mate I was chatting with on Facebook from film college years, the bloke I've got my arm around in this picture (I'm the one in the Stones T Shirt) was/is Gareth Edwards (wearing the comedy beard) who's recently directed Star Wars - Rogue One. Blimey!. I don't remember much about him, he was in the year below us and this was when I was 17. I remember doing a Terminator make-up for him once by rubbing the back of my thumbnail over some tin foil over a mannequin head, cutting it down to size, gluing some circuit board stuff on it and stipple sponging latex around before 'juicing it up'. A few of us wandered around college making students jump ..

early rbfc.jpg