Ever Met Anyone Famous?

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
According to an old mate I was chatting with on Facebook from film college years, the bloke I've got my arm around in this picture (I'm the one in the Stones T Shirt) was/is Gareth Edwards (wearing the comedy beard) who's recently directed Star Wars - Rogue One. Blimey!. I don't remember much about him, he was in the year below us and this was when I was 17. I remember doing a Terminator make-up for him once by rubbing the back of my thumbnail over some tin foil over a mannequin head, cutting it down to size, gluing some circuit board stuff on it and stipple sponging latex around before 'juicing it up'. A few of us wandered around college making students jump ..

View attachment 15154
Ask him for a job.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Relocation wouldn't be permanent.
All I could offer him is old school connections, enthusiasm on editing and practical f/x makeup prop skills that are well out of date going by the new materials used nowadays .. I doubt he'd be biting my hand off to employ me ..

Swifty

I've got one of the Blue Peter presenters staying in 'my' glamping field at the moment, I shouldn't really say who (not one of the scandal struck ones) but he's friendly and I've shown his lads our pillbox so far ..

Ladyloafer

Abominable Snowman
i met Bob Carolgees and Spit the dog when i was a kid!

I went to secondary school (long time back) with a (now) reasonably well known uk tv actor (peaky blinders amongst many things), whose dad was also a known actor. I remember gcse parents evening and everyones parents came home going' its xxx from xxx, he's famous'. none of us knew until then, his dad was an actor.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
I've got one of the Blue Peter presenters staying in 'my' glamping field at the moment, I shouldn't really say who (not one of the scandal struck ones) but he's friendly and I've shown his lads our pillbox so far ..
Right, I'll tell you an anecdote. In 1974 I was catching the London train from Crewe station. It was very crowded; I found myself in a last-minute rush for the one remaining seat beside a tall, good-looking man with collar-length hair, it was the seventies; buckaroo! I looked up and saw it was none other than Peter Purves, it was the height of his Blue Peter career. He said, "You jammy bastard" and quick as a flash, I replied, "Don't be blue, Peter!"
Needless to say, I had the last laugh, now fuck off!

Floyd1

Ephemeral Spectre
Man, you guy have lead far,far more interesting lives than I have; Working in Tv and film, travelling the world, meeting famous people....
The best I can do are these;

Met Keith Chegwin a few months before he died. Lovely chap. Said I'd love to have a chat with him one day about the Polanski film he was in in the early 70s (he said it was that long ago he couldn't remember anything about it).

Sir Michael Hordern mid 1980s. He was staying in the village I grew up in.

Christina Trevanion (Antiques tv woman) in Sainsburys. (She lives nearby).

Peter Powell at one of those 'radio one roadshow' affairs in the '80s (someone shouted ''Peter Powell is a bald B*****d'').

Helga, Gruber and Herr Flick from 'allo 'allo. Fantastic people. (Herr Flick spoke in a German accent after I thanked him for getting a photo with them).

(Benny from 'crossroads' and Ranulph Fiennes (not often you see those two names in the same sentence) both live nearby but not met them yet.)

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Sir Michael Hordern mid 1980s. He was staying in the village I grew up in.

[...]

Helga, Gruber and Herr Flick from 'allo 'allo. Fantastic people. (Herr Flick spoke in a German accent after I thanked him for getting a photo with them).
Horden is an acting hero of mine. Did you exchange words?

I've heard from somebody else who has met him that Guy Siner (Lieut. Gruber) is a really nice chap.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Right, I'll tell you an anecdote. In 1974 I was catching the London train from Crewe station. It was very crowded; I found myself in a last-minute rush for the one remaining seat beside a tall, good-looking man with collar-length hair, it was the seventies; buckaroo! I looked up and saw it was none other than Peter Purves, it was the height of his Blue Peter career. He said, "You jammy bastard" and quick as a flash, I replied, "Don't be blue, Peter!"
How old were you in 1974?

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
How old were you in 1974?
I know lying is wrong, but if the elephant man came in now in a blouse with some make up on, and said "How do I look?" Would you say, bearing in mind he's depressed and has respiratory problems, would you say "Go and take that blusher off you mis-shapened elephant tranny"? No. You'd say, 'You look nice... John.

Floyd1

Ephemeral Spectre
Horden is an acting hero of mine. Did you exchange words?

I've heard from somebody else who has met him that Guy Siner (Lieut. Gruber) is a really nice chap.
No, we just said 'Hello'. I was only 12 or 13. He was off walking into the grounds of Chatsworth House. He would have been mid 70s then. To be honest, I'm now wondering how I even knew him at that age. None of my friends would have done. Mind you I was a bit ocd (if that's the correct term) back then and had to read the Radio Times from cover to cover. If I watched a film I had to know everything (that was available at that pre-internet time) about the film. Directors, producers, year it was made (most important) etc, so maybe I'd read an article/interview about him. Of course I now know all the work he's done.
Yes, Guy Siner was great as were they all. Richard Gibson (Herr Flick) was talking to someone else when I asked Guy and Kim Hartman (Helga) for a photo, so I didn't want to interrupt him, but as soon as he saw us lined up to have our photo taken he came over to be in it, which I though was a great thing to do. Pity that René wasn't there though. He had died earlier that year.

Floyd1

Ephemeral Spectre
There's a time travel book by a local (Cheshire) writer, Alan Garner, called 'Red Shift'. It was inspired by some graffiti he had seen at Crewe station written in lipstick; "Not really now not any more". That was around 73/74. At least we know who did it now.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
There's a time travel book by a local (Cheshire) writer, Alan Garner, called 'Red Shift'. It was inspired by some graffiti he had seen at Crewe station written in lipstick; "Not really now not any more". That was around 73/74. At least we know who did it now.
Coincidentally I was reading about that book last night--it was mentioned in an essay on the concepts of 'the weird' and 'the eerie' alongside, among other things, the work of Nigel Kneale. I'm obviously aware of Garner, but I've never read any of his books.

The universe is clearly telling me to rectify this!

Swifty

Our celebrity guest had an interview and photo shoot in the grounds today, I was thanked for showing someone where an electric point was except I didn't, I've no idea what they're on about and I would have been a bit pissed off if they had tried to get me involved, I was busy training up a woman I've just hired instead and I only got about 5 hours sleep last night going over everything in my brain so as to not f**k anything up ..

skinny

HARD AS NAILS
Our celebrity guest had an interview and photo shoot in the grounds today, I was thanked for showing someone where an electric point was except I didn't, I've no idea what they're on about and I would have been a bit pissed off if they had tried to get me involved, I was busy training up a woman I've just hired instead and I only got about 5 hours sleep last night going over everything in my brain so as to not f**k anything up ..
You're famous here. For that.
And for being our representative in Norks. Be representative at all times. You don't need to meet the obligatory 110%, just be our rep over there.

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
You're famous here. For that.
And for being our representative in Norks. Be representative at all times. You don't need to meet the obligatory 110%, just be our rep over there.
Fortean Ambassador to Norfolk - sounds good. Wait a minute, that might come with diplomatic immunity and who knows what Swifty might get up if he has that :freak:

Peter Powell at one of those 'radio one roadshow' affairs in the '80s (someone shouted ''Peter Powell is a bald B*****d'').
I saw Noel Edmonds at a Radio One Roadshows way back in the 80s. A woman was dragging her kid over to see "that man from Swapshop" and the kid was screaming "NO MUM NO!!! I HATE HIM!!!"

Floyd1

Ephemeral Spectre
Fortean Ambassador to Norfolk - sounds good. Wait a minute, that might come with diplomatic immunity and who knows what Swifty might get up if he has that :freak:

I saw Noel Edmonds at a Radio One Roadshows way back in the 80s. A woman was dragging her kid over to see "that man from Swapshop" and the kid was screaming "NO MUM NO!!! I HATE HIM!!!"
Classic!

Ogdred Weary

Sooner than expected.
Coincidentally I was reading about that book last night--it was mentioned in an essay on the concepts of 'the weird' and 'the eerie' alongside, among other things, the work of Nigel Kneale. I'm obviously aware of Garner, but I've never read any of his books.

The universe is clearly telling me to rectify this!
The Mark Fisher one?

Naughty_Felid

No longer interesting
That's common if you have any tips on how to turn your brain off I'm all ears.

Spudrick68

Justified & Ancient
I apparently had a pee next to Steve Ignorant out of Crass in Clouds in Preston in the mid '80's. I was oblivious until people kept coming up to me and asking me what he said!

I chatted with Captain Sensible in a bar a few years ago and found him to be a polite, personable bloke to talk to.

But I don't recall meeting anyone hugely famous.