Ever Met Anyone Famous?

Lizard King

Ephemeral Spectre
I was on the train from London to Newcastle some years back. The train was busy and I ended up sharing a table seat with a really familiar face. I knew he wasn't someone I knew personally, but I knew his face from somewhere. I racked my brain. Was it a film, a soap or a drama series? I couldn't place him. I actually waited until we reached our destination before I plucked up the courage to ask him, if was he on the telly. He smiled and looked quite chuffed.
"Yes I'm on the telly"
Bingo!
"I'm sorry what have you been in?"
"I'm the sign language man on the news, current affairs..."
Not to detract from his worthwhile profession but I couldn't help look how deflated I felt.
We both left the train feeling deflated.I was amazed though how things stick in your sub concious, as I've never really paid the sign people that much notice.

Graylien

Justified and Ancient
Never met anyone famous myself, but when I lived in London as a student in the 90's I once saw a guy who looked remarkably like Roger Waters wearing sunglasses sitting outside a trendy pavement cafe.

I did not approach him, since my only comment would have been that I considered Radio KAOS a tad shite.

A college lecturer claimed she was friends with Dave Gilmour. Apparently he's a really nice chap.

I have also seen Rick Wakeman a couple of times quietly drinking coffee by himself in a local cafe. I believe he lives fairly locally. Again, I didn't bother him. I dare say he's thoroughly fed up with people ranting about Yes to him.

Lastly I once briefly met Aled Jones. At the time he seemed tiny. He since seems to have filled out.

Graylien

Justified and Ancient
Was he ranting about globalist snowmen?
He did sing his Snowman song. He played the original recording he made as a boy treble and sang over it with his current light tenor voice, thus creating a slightly irritating duet.

According to Wikipedia and much of the internet, Jones is now a baritone.

I refuse to believe this. I have sat through an entire Aled Jones concert as well as listening to recitals by professional baritones.

There is a distinct difference in timbre IMO.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
"I'm the sign language man on the news, current affairs..."
Not to detract from his worthwhile profession but I couldn't help look how deflated I felt.
We both left the train feeling deflated.I was amazed though how things stick in your sub concious, as I've never really paid the sign people that much notice.
He should really have been proud and you impressed, since he'd obviously been doing his job so well! He'd delivered the news unobtrusively. Damn fine work!

Lizard King

Ephemeral Spectre
He should really have been proud and you impressed, since he'd obviously been doing his job so well! He'd delivered the news unobtrusively. Damn fine work!
I tell this story tongue-in-cheek and do think he does a fantastic job!I had viral meningitis a coupe of years back and went completely deaf for 3 weeks. It gave me a little insight as to how few programmes there are that cater for deaf or hard of hearing. So few programmes with subtitles etc.Not that I can read sign language. No offence meant.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
I tell this story tongue-in-cheek and do think he does a fantastic job!I had viral meningitis a coupe of years back and went completely deaf for 3 weeks. It gave me a little insight as to how few programmes there are that cater for deaf or hard of hearing. So few programmes with subtitles etc.Not that I can read sign language. No offence meant.
Nobody's taking offence! My comments were genuine praise.
I bet there's a Twitter feed where you could express your appreciation. He'd like that.

Krepostnoi

Popular orange vegetable
My goodness, it wasn't the beardy Richard Stilgoe looky-likey from the halcyon days of See Hear, was it? That guy's a legend!
He - sign-language guy, not Stilgoe - came to our school to give a talk. I remember him being a very engaging speaker. He was got up in full Highland dress, presumably as a counterpoint to his theme, which was... - any guesses?

Tempest63

Abominable Snowman
I worked in Egton house back in the 80’s which was the offices and studios of Radio 1 so a lot of famous DJ’s met me before they started getting accused of immoral things with kids. Later I had about 5 years on the redevelopment of Broadcasting House so a lot more celebrities met me. At that time I shared a table in The George Pub with Bob Hoskins. On top of that I did a stint on the ITN studios at Grays Inn Road where a number of famous news readers met me and the refurbishment of The Old Vic where Paul Nicholas met me when he wasn’t Dancing with the Captain, needless to say we were never “Just Good Friends”. (That will sort the old timers out)

GNC

King-Sized Canary
He - sign-language guy, not Stilgoe - came to our school to give a talk. I remember him being a very engaging speaker. He was got up in full Highland dress, presumably as a counterpoint to his theme, which was... - any guesses?
Confusing?

Krepostnoi

Popular orange vegetable
...Sign language...?
Islam. He was a convert. It seems weird that a school in Bradford couldn't find anyone local to talk to us. Mind you, both staff and pupils were largely white - I guess they thought we'd find him more congenial.

Anyway, he was terrific. His analysis of the spiritual value of Ramadan, for example, has stayed with me all these years.

Ogdred Weary

Fhtagntastic.
Buskers doing their thing and then the famous original musician who happens to be walking by joining in Pt 1 .. some of it might be staged ..

Aren't there (possibly apocryphal) stories of artists appearing with cover artists and people not believing they are the real thing?

On a separate note, the other day I moved out of the way of an eccentrically dressed old-ish lady the other day who was on her way into pub toilets. I thought she looked familiar and it was only when she said "cheers love" that I realised it was Sue Pollard. I'd recognise that voice anywhere.

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
I heard a story back in the early 70s of a local TV presenter who was in a shop and a little old lady was looking at him. She said, I know your face from somewhere son, I can't quite place it."
He gave a smug grin and said, Television perhaps?"
She said "That's it! You put up my aerial!"

Schrodinger's Zebra

Waiting and watching and seeking a sign..
Years (and years) ago, I waved to Brian May at a concert (I was on the second row) and he looked at me. Does that count?

I was so shy it took me ages to muster up the courage to wave (like a lot of people around me were doing) so I was fairly (ok very) chuffed :D

I like to think he wasn't thinking "who's the looney over there"?

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Years (and years) ago, I waved to Brian May at a concert (I was on the second row) and he looked at me. Does that count?

I was so shy it took me ages to muster up the courage to wave (like a lot of people around me were doing) so I was fairly (ok very) chuffed :D

I like to think he wasn't thinking "who's the looney over there"?
Brian May told a story about when he was a teenager and met his hero Rory Gallagher after a show. Gallagher was obviously knackered after the show but spent time with the young May talking about music and giving him advice. May later said that Gallagher taught him two important things - how to set up his guitar and not to be an arse to his fans.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Aren't there (possibly apocryphal) stories of artists appearing with cover artists and people not believing they are the real thing?

On a separate note, the other day I moved out of the way of an eccentrically dressed old-ish lady the other day who was on her way into pub toilets. I thought she looked familiar and it was only when she said "cheers love" that I realised it was Sue Pollard. I'd recognise that voice anywhere.
Couple of years back I met, well, briefly served Ruby Wax. She was beautifully polite.

I recognised her voice and asked around, and yup it was indeed she! I wanted to sit her on my lap and tell her how wonderful she is but instead I did the dignified thing and left her alone.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Couple of years back I met, well, briefly served Ruby Wax. She was beautifully polite.

I recognised her voice and asked around, and yup it was indeed she! I wanted to sit her on my lap and tell her how wonderful she is but instead I did the dignified thing and left her alone.
I remember watching a Ruby Wax TV show where she was meeting off beat people or something .. she went to meet an artist who did incredible Michelangelo type giant paintings of contemporary people ... his whole studio warehouse was full of them, genuinely breath taking stuff and then, in true Ruby Wax style and when they went into his bedroom? .. she lifted up his pillow and asked him why he had a toilet roll under his pillow, the artist visibly blushed and was stunned into a 'I don't wank! awkward silence .. lol ..

I know a few celebrities from going to AA. Obviously can't name names but within the walls you are all meant to be equal which makes for a bit of a surreal situation. Standing in a dusty old church hall washing up mugs with the guy that my wife used to fancy in the 80's.

EDIT: AA is not Automobile Association smart-arses

gerhard1

Abominable Snowman
I saw Eisenhower and Charlton Heston although I can't claim to have actually met them. I spoke to NRA President Wayne LaPierre once in Kansas when I lived there, and Congressman Brock Adams one time at the University of Washington. He later became Carter's Transportation Secretary. I have met and spoken with several sheriffs.

My niece's wedding took place at the location where they filmed the Stephen King miniseries Rose Red. I said to my then fiance that it wouldn't surprise me if King himself walked through the door delivering pizza like happened in the film.

I saw a man there and did a double-take, as he had a strong resemblance to King,. It wasn't him, of course, but it turned out to be the groom's father. He was in the entertainment business in Philadelphia, and it turned out that he has met King on a few occasions,.

Ringo

Of no preferred gender pronoun.
He's there for a month filming a show called 'Asian Dream', a singing show where contestants are eliminated until they have their winner.
Jesus, that sounds like a tough competition. A cross between Idol and The Running Man.