Ever Met Anyone Famous?

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Jesus, that sounds like a tough competition. A cross between Idol and The Running Man.
Apparently he filmed a similar series a couple of years back called 'Bolt of Talent' shot in Singapore, Malaysia, The Philippines & Taiwan. The winner of that show is now one of his co-judges on this new show.

michael59

Look up. Change your world perspective.
If you count a hand shake, I met Tom Selleck when he was filming 3 Men and a Baby. I lived in Toronto at the time and was taking a walk in my neighbourhood. I was walking on Danforth near Main Street subway station and saw huge lights in front of the pharmacy warehouse (can't remember the name) that I used to shop at. I wondered if it was a police stake out (my area was not an affluent area:cat:). A woman with two kids was standing on the curb so I asked her if she knew what was going on. She told me that she'd heard that Tom Selleck was supposed to be filming there that day. Since I'd lived in TO for several years and had not seen one famous person, I stood for two hours at least just to say that I'd seen someone.

By the time Tom Selleck made a showing there was a long line of people waiting to get a glimpse. The woman in front of me was invited to meet him in his trailer and then he came out and shook hands with many of us bystanders. He was also doing Magnum PI at the time and was tanned but looked very tired.

So the pharmacy scene in the movie is a pharmacy that I actually frequented. I have never seen the movie as it is not really my interest (kids and comedy)

I would have preferred to meet Ted Danson, but beggars can't be choosers.
Even though,Tom Selleck is still front and centre as a celeberty today, I still believe he never got the recognition he deserved as an amazing actor. He has also got to be the most handsome man I have ever seen. Mother Nature was more than kind to that man. lol

images.jpeg

Quigley Down Under was such an under rated movie. I recommend it. It's really good. So is the TV series Blue Bloods.

Ladyloafer

Abominable Snowman
oh just remembered, i once served bobby davro in a shop and his bank card declined and i had to ask for another payment (which he had).

also i've just found out my new boss apparently flogs our wares personnally on one on the shopping channels! does that count? i mean, he's on the telly!

henry

still speeding
Even though,Tom Selleck is still front and centre as a celeberty today, I still believe he never got the recognition he deserved as an amazing actor.
not a bad actor, watchable but without great range, didnt really do vulnerable though did he, even when magnum went weird ... i used to live on the danforth !

michael59

I had to google most of the people mentioned here because I am a Canadian. So, most of you wouldn't know the celebs. that I have encounter either. lol

I do remember one time when I was 13 years old we were crossing a busy highway in Toronto. There were about 10 or so of us and we were J walking. I was the last person to attempt to cross and they were all yelling at me to hurry up. It was scary busy when this dark green Porsche stopped and the driver waved me to cross. I made eye contact to thank him and ended up doing a double take because it was Tom Jones!

Once when I was 16, I was entering the train station in Winnipeg, Manitoba and I literally smacked face first into the chest of Pierre Elliot Trudeau who was Prime Minister of Canada at the time. He was carrying Justin on his shoulders. Justin could not have been long out of diapers at that time. Now he's Prime Minister of Canada.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
.. also I've just found out my new boss apparently flogs our wares personally on one on the shopping channels! does that count? I mean, he's on the telly!
I would argue that does count .. my boss can be found on IMDB.com because when he's not being my boss, he's also a cameraman for the BBC who films stuff for Bear Grylls and is about to go halfway up a mountain in China to film snow leopards or something .. as you do .. I'm a bit jealous to be honest.

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
I would argue that does count .. my boss can be found on IMDB.com because when he's not being my boss, he's also a cameraman for the BBC who films stuff for Bear Grills and is about to go halfway up a mountain in China to film snow leopards or something .. as you do .. I'm a bit jealous to be honest.
My old martial arts instructor is on imdb.com - he emigrated to Australia and was one of the stunt team on the Dolph Lundgren version of The Punisher.

Swifty

I've just remembered one .. my Dad used to be mates with UK car racing F1 champion Graham Hill .. when him and Graham would go out for a pint, my Mum and Mrs Hill would baby sit Damon Hill, future F1 champion. Impressive although I would have been 'a gleam in the milkman's eye' so I don't remember any of that. It was the early 70's so hopefully the girls were pissed up in charge of Damon Hill ..

Bigphoot2

Another one (sort of). There's a scene in Hannibal where Lector is being followed around a shopping mall. As he leaves the mall, a blonde woman walks past him - that's my pal Suzanne! She did a lot of extra work in movies. Hannibal was her favourite as she said Hopkins was really nice, friendly and was happy to pose for pics and chat with everyone.

Tempest63

Abominable Snowman
I knew Olly Murrs when he was young as he played football with my eldest son. I introduced him to my current wife just as he was becoming well known. We had been to a funeral that day and it cheered my wife no end to meet him. I must say fame hasn’t gone to his head and he remains a nice bloke.
EE24439D-9097-41B2-9E70-55D74A18D20A.jpeg

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
I knew Olly Murrs when he was young as he played football with my eldest son. I introduced him to my current wife just as he was becoming well known. We had been to a funeral that day and it cheered my wife no end to meet him. I must say fame hasn’t gone to his head and he remains a nice bloke.
View attachment 19664
Who he?

INT21

Antediluvian
Sir Leonard Hutton.

The first company I worked for did some tree work in his garden.

michael59

One time, when I was training in a remand centre in Winnipeg. Can't remember how old I was, late teens, early 20's. I was behind the desk observing when the police brought in Burton Cummings, the lead singer for The Guess Who, for possession of hashish. Does that count?

Swifty

One time, when I was training in a remand centre in Winnipeg. Can't remember how old I was, late teens, early 20's. I was behind the desk observing when the police brought in Burton Cummings, the lead singer for The Guess Who, for possession of hashish. Does that count?
I reckon so, yes. In a hotel the Mrs used to work at, after Janet Street Porter and "a big black man" checked out, house keeping found a large lump of hashish while cleaning the room just left on a table. She thinks it might have been left deliberately as a tip. The police weren't called, it ended up in the hands of the delighted chefs as she tells me.

Ronnie Corbet also used to stay at her old place. She tells me he was a proper wanker.

michael59

I reckon so, yes. In a hotel the Mrs used to work at, after Janet Street Porter and "a big black man" checked out, house keeping found a large lump of hashish while cleaning the room just left on a table. She thinks it might have been left deliberately as a tip. The police weren't called, it ended up in the hands of the delighted chefs as she tells me.

Ronnie Corbet also used to stay at her old place. She tells me he was a proper wanker.
No one recognized Burton Cummings that was dealing with him. I didn't say anything to them until he was finished being booked. lol

Lucky chefs, haha. It's very rarely seen anymore. At least not around here.

James_H

And I like to roam the land
Showing my age! but once met Henry Moore at a party (I was at Art School and unfortunately very drunk)!

Janet Street-Dealer more like.

Bigphoot2

I've heard similar from a guy who used to work at a golf course that hosted a lot of pro-celeb events. Mind you he had a pretty low opinion of most of the celebs but Corbett seemed to inspire the most wrath ("nasty, foul-mouthed, permanently angry little-man") - followed by Connery ("arrogant *[email protected]#") and Forsythe ("tight-fisted old misery"). He was, however, full of praise for Micheal Douglas, he was expecting him to be a bit abrasive like his film roles but described him as a "top bloke."

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Showing my age! but once met Henry Moore at a party (I was at Art School and unfortunately very drunk)!
I've met Peter Blake a few times (he's very lovely) and my favourite meeting-an-artist anecdote... years ago my girlfriend worked for a company that owned a warehouse at which Scottish dancer Michael Clark had the world premiere of one of his ballets – and I ended up in the VIP seats next to Lucien Freud, who borrowed my programme (if only I'd got him to do a little doodle in it...)

Tapeloop

Junior Acolyte
This is a bit 'Z List' compared to some of these but Leo Sayer was a regular in the record shop I worked in for the mid 1990s. He would come in most weeks and tell us all about how his new album was coming along. Nice chap but strangely out of touch with the real world where he wasn't that famous any more. Crikey, he was barely z list back then!

Oh, and I sat next to George Melly at a screening of the film Slacker once (much cooler!) We laughed.

SkepticalX

Devoted Cultist
When I was in my 20s, I was a local radio and television reporter (back when it was still a marginally respectable profession). I didn't meet a lot of truly famous people but I did meet and interview the late Peter Tork of the Monkees (a very witty, intelligent man). More germane to this site, I met and interviewed Dr. J. Allen Hynek. I still recall his office at the Center for UFO Studies, cluttered with papers and books, just as you would expect it to be.