Ever Met Anyone Famous?

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
This is a bit 'Z List' compared to some of these but Leo Sayer was a regular in the record shop I worked in for the mid 1990s. He would come in most weeks and tell us all about how his new album was coming along. Nice chap but strangely out of touch with the real world where he wasn't that famous any more. Crikey, he was barely z list back then!

Oh, and I sat next to George Melly at a screening of the film Slacker once (much cooler!) We laughed.
I sat in Leo Sayer's Volvo the Tuesday before last.

Way to go, lads. To have had physical contact with a moonwalker bestows on you a very special status among us. Envious. There's but a handful surviving.
Aldrin, Scott, Duke, Scmitt.

Great men. Fearless Pioneers.

ChasFink

Ephemeral Spectre
And here is the proof - taken with my fuzzy flip-phone camera:

0405062100 (2).jpg

It's interesting to note that I'm one degree of separation from touching the Moon. Recently I also shook the hand of Cage the Elephant lead singer Matt Shultz, who later that day sang with, and hugged, Beck - meaning I am also one degree of separation from touching Beck.

Other people I have met - and other once-removed connections - are on the Six Degrees Of Separation thread.

-----
EDIT: Hey! I just remembered: I have touched the Moon - or at least a part of it. The Smithsonian Air and Space Museum has a small piece of Moon rock on display that visitors can touch. As far as I know, I haven't touched a piece of Beck.

Last edited:

gordonrutter

There must be a set character limit to this opt...
Staff member
And here is the proof - taken with my fuzzy flip-phone camera:

View attachment 19846

It's interesting to note that I'm one degree of separation from touching the Moon. Recently I also shook the hand of Cage the Elephant lead singer Matt Shultz, who later that day sang with, and hugged, Beck - meaning I am also one degree of separation from touching Beck.

Other people I have met - and other once-removed connections - are on the Six Degrees Of Separation thread.

-----
EDIT: Hey! I just remembered: I have touched the Moon - or at least a part of it. The Smithsonian Air and Space Museum has a small piece of Moon rock on display that visitors can touch. As far as I know, I haven't touched a piece of Beck.
Two degrees from you touching the moon surely? One from you to Buzzans one from Buzz to the moon? Ignoring your edit, there and similarly two degree away from Beck.

ChasFink

Ephemeral Spectre
Two degrees from you touching the moon surely? One from you to Buzzans one from Buzz to the moon? Ignoring your edit, there and similarly two degree away from Beck.
Sorry - yes, using the logic of the Bacon number (where Kevin Bacon alone has a Bacon number of 0 and someone who was actually in a movie with the man has a Bacon number of 1) you are correct. However, in my mind (also ignoring my edit above) I am one degree of separation from touching the entities in question, whereas Buzz and Matt have actually touched them. I guess y'all can number it how you please based on the facts.

BTW, I'm thinking back to that book signing with Buzz, which was on my birthday a few years ago. It attracted such a huge crowd (1,800 according to a facebook post he made) that his brief scheduled talk and Q&A was canceled to make more time for signing. I met a lot of interesting people at the bookstore, including a guy who worked on the lunar module and someone who came wearing a homemade replica of the Apollo lunar spacesuit - and it was VERY hot in that bookstore.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
I'm told I met the German goal keeper for Norwich City the other day at work, he was one of my guests I've learned. A couple of our staff got excited and posed for pics with him last night, I had no idea he was someone famous. I told another member of staff about it all later and he said yeah .. and they're acting like a pair of benders about it ..

Tempest63

Abominable Snowman
I'm told I met the German goal keeper for Norwich City the other day at work, he was one of my guests I've learned. A couple of our staff got excited and posed for pics with him last night, I had no idea he was someone famous. I told another member of staff about it all later and he said yeah .. and they're acting like a pair of benders about it ..
For the politically correct posse he meant BENDERS
0B50FA51-8863-43AA-88EE-1508CCD0FC77.jpeg

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
For the politically correct posse he meant BENDERS
View attachment 19883
No. I'm fairly sure he was describing my co workers as homosexuals .. and I sold the goal keeper two bottles of Prosecco and one of Malbec this evening .. before anyone phones the tabloids with this scoop, he was with his wife and family and disappointingly polite and well behaved.

Tribble

Killjoy Boffin
I met Ian Rankin in the bar after a Rick Wakeman gig and got him to sign my copy of Wakeman's "Return to the Centre of the Earth".
Found a pic of the evidence! Gig was in 2010. And my mistake, judging by the track listing it was Journey to the Centre of the Earth. Although my copy of Return does have a squiggle on the insert that might be RW's.

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Found a pic of the evidence! Gig was in 2010. And my mistake, judging by the track listing it was Journey to the Centre of the Earth. Although my copy of Return does have a squiggle on the insert that might be RW's.

He's been to my old workplace a few times, very nice chap.

gordonrutter

There must be a set character limit to this opt...
Staff member
Most recent famous person sort of was Vincent Prices daughter, just left her. Great stories and i feel the need to watch V P film now...

Xanatic*

Justified & Ancient
Out of the scientists I've met, the most famous is probably Kip Thorne. He recieved a Nobel prize last year.

ChasFink

Ephemeral Spectre
I actually see her on that bus from time to time - she still works at the university campus I used to work at, and the bus stops there - but this was the first time she noticed me lately, and we exchanged nods and smiles.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Two degrees from you touching the moon surely? One from you to Buzzans one from Buzz to the moon?
Being pedantic, Chas is probably closer to touching the Moon than Buzz, as Buzz would have been wearing a space suit and using a trowel to collect Moon rock, whereas Chas has actually digitally probed our nearest neighbour.

maximus otter

Last edited:

gattino

Justified & Ancient
On my travels I have.

About 15 years or so ago in New York I was walking along a surprisingly empty Madison Avenue or Park Avenue or one of those on a Sunday morning, when I saw and identified from a considerable distance Andrew Neil, prior to his stint as a BBC political anchor, coming from the opposite direction on his own. I remembered his name just in time as he got close enough to pass and asked "Andrew Neil?". He looked delighted. "Yes" he said. "Hello" says I. Hello says he. And stops and turns with a beaming smile expecting me to continue the conversation...but i had absolutely nothing to say to him so just carried on walking.

A back alley bar in Rome. Kind of place that's quiet and dark and the patrons just linger around the wall, in short no dancing is going on. A small coterie of individuals come in who turned out to be the writer, director, the something else and the male lead in some euro movie they were making. The actor was already completely pissed and came in dancing like a cossack. He tried to get my mate to stand up and dance with him. When we said we were from Liverpool he revealed himself to be an LFC fan. He had an unusual name. Literally a month or so after we got home he suddenly starting appearing in TV and movies and everywhere, out of nowhere. I recognised his name instantly. Michael Fassbender.

Oddly I came very close to meeting his fellow X man , again literally just weeks before he became a movie star. Staying with a friend in Melbourne one of his housemates was a girl playing a part in the new stage musical of Beauty and The Beast so we got free tickets. We were in the same pub as the cast after the show but thanks to a fall out with my friend in the interval (long story, don't ask) I was seething, angry and upset so paying no attention at this point. Cut ahead many years and i went to see the same musical here at home, it brought back memories of the first occasion and i found, to my slight bemusment,that every time i pictured it I pictured the same unlikley person in the role of Gaston. It was only when i mentioned it to my Australian friend online that he confirmed what somehow had never registered with me in all the intervening years. It was indeed indeed Hugh Jackman in the last thing he did before making it in Hollywood. Just like Michael Fassbender.