Ever Met Anyone Famous?

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
When we were students, one of us, not me, scored some tickets or whatnot to go and watch the tv show Blockbusters being filmed at CENTRAL TV in Birmingham ..

We'd had a drink on the train so were a bit drunk when we got there and in a twist that normally only happens in films, someone asked us to stand in for some students who'd let them down at the last second.

To fast forward, we were taken to some interview room where we shouted out answers instead of putting our hands up, I accidently damaged a wall messing about with my push button umbrella and Justin started nodding off.

We were allowed into the audience though. Rob stood on the hot spot and did his impression of an outboard motor, I'd sobered up Justin at this stage and Bob Holness came up to thank us at the end of the show for the good laugh after they'd stopped filming.

aBob-Holness-007.jpg

Tribble

Killjoy Boffin
When we were students, one of us, not me, scored some tickets or whatnot to go and watch the tv show Blockbusters being filmed at CENTRAL TV in Birmingham ..

We'd had a drink on the train so were a bit drunk when we got there and in a twist that normally only happens in films, someone asked us to stand in for some students who'd let them down at the last second.

To fast forward, we were taken to some interview room where we shouted out answers instead of putting our hands up, I accidently damaged a wall messing about with my push button umbrella and Justin started nodding off.

We were allowed into the audience though. Rob stood on the hot spot and did his impression of an outboard motor, I'd sobered up Justin at this stage and Bob Holness came up to thank us at the end of the show for the good laugh after they'd stopped filming.

View attachment 20392
Did you ask him to do a saxophone riff?

Swifty

I've just learned today that the Mrs has just taken a BBC booking for Bob Mortimer and Paul Whitehouse to stay with us on the 4th of November .. EVEN the young staff know who they are .. I'm a bit excited would be an understatement ...............

Last edited:

Swifty

We await the signed photo of you posing with them.
I'm on it man .. although it would have to be me printing off photo paper pics of them without me until the Mrs takes a photo and then I don't know what they'll be filming in Comer the next day. Anything they want to. It's Bob Mortimer and Paul Whitehouse after all :badge:... weirder still, my 'big boss' is also a freelance cameraman for the BBC and is currently about to climb half way up a mountain in China to film snow leopards .. so we are short staffed at the moment ..

I've just learned today that the Mrs has just taken a BBC booking for Bob Mortimer and Paul Whitehouse to stay with us on the 4th of November .. EVEN the young staff know who they are .. I'm a bit excited would be an understatement...
My ex works in film and TV and spent quite a bit of time with Paul Whitehouse; she's a hard as nails lowland Scot, has no time for bullshit or starry eyed fan worship, but absolutely adored him. I've worked with a lot of comedians over the years (when wearing my entertainment industry work hat) and the difference between chirpy onscreen persona and grindingly drab offscreen is - to put it bluntly - something like the norm; apparently Whitehouse is a genuinely funny bloke, who happens to be even funnier on camera. He's also a talented writer - Nurse, is an overlooked gem, which managed to give the subject of mental health an absolutely central role and make it entertaining, without undermining the desperately serious nature of the subject.

Incidentally, I may have to upgrade my opinion of daytime TV a little - that's a great little interview, which covers (albeit with a light touch) some really important issues in regard to men's health, both physical and psychological. As a comedian, I can take or leave Bob Mortimer - but I've always thought he comes over really well in interviews.

Swifty

As a comedian, I can take or leave Bob Mortimer - but I've always thought he comes over really well in interviews.
Fair enough. I have to admit that when Vic And Bob's Big Night Out first aired ... apart from wondering about what the fuck it was I was watching .. Vic made me laugh without exactly knowing why more; and it's about this time in the evening that I like to slip a petri dish under a squirrel ..

Bob's definitely a pro story teller though ..

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
I've just learned today that the Mrs has just taken a BBC booking for Bob Mortimer and Paul Whitehouse to stay with us on the 4th of November .. EVEN the young staff know who they are .. I'm a bit excited would be an understatement ...............

They were up in my neck of the woods a while back filming their fishing programme and made a very positive impression on the locals. By all accounts, two very nice chaps.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
I think I've only ever watched one episode .. I'll have to give it another go.
Is there a lot of fishing in Cromer? Great news if they're doing a third series, it's such a lovely show and they always come across like top blokes.

Swifty

Is there a lot of fishing in Cromer? Great news if they're doing a third series, it's such a lovely show and they always come across like top blokes.
The Mrs has dealt with the booking and taken the payment this morning from a lovely woman on the phone from the BBC .. three grand she tells me, the PA woman wanted to know if Bob would be in a single or a double room .. double. Two directors for this booking are also staying with us, one who's bringing their dog and Lisa Clarke who's apparently won a BAFTA in the past. The BBC are notorious for having to be chased up for paying up in our experience but the cash is secured.

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Even if you have no interest in fishing, it's a very pleasant and enjoyable way to spend your time.

I shook hands with Princess Anne when she came to open our new school.

My father was once manager of a 60s rock group. I met all the band members. They cut a record. When I let my friends hear it there was an embarrassed silence because the group were so awful. So, the band might have become famous only they didn't. So guess that doesn't count, then, eh? Pity.

Oh, I also saw HRH Prince Charles. Didn't meet him, just saw him. I remember thinking how small he was, like his sister Anne.

Oh, and Paul McCartney's first wife, Linda (second name?) bought some clothes for her kiddies in my father's shop in Campbeltown. Was out of the shop on an errand so I guess that doesn't count either......oh, well......

gordonrutter

There must be a set character limit to this opt...
Staff member
Oh, and Paul McCartney's first wife, Linda (second name?) bought some clothes for her kiddies in my father's shop in Campbeltown. Was out of the shop on an errand so I guess that doesn't count either......oh, well......
Linda McCartney? Joking, it’s Linda Eastman.

I have remembered more famous people that I met:

First, a then well known Scottish author, well known in Scotland that was, was introduced to me by my mother. He kissed my hand. His name was Angus McVicar (his father was not a vicar, but he was a Church of Scotland minister). He wrote a memoire called Salt In My Porridge about his life in Kintyre. He also wrote some children's sci-fi stories which I loved.

I met the now deceased Scottish poet Norman McCaig. He was giving a poetry reading in a hotel in a village near his own favourite in the area, Lochinver. Being a small place the audience was small. I attended with my sister. McCaig's recital had us laughing so much we were nearly ending ourselves. The rest of the audience were rather more po-faced. At the end of the recital, McCaig approached myself and my sister and thanked us for being so appreciative of his humour. We retired thereafter to the bar where not a few whiskies were consumed...…....

I have shaken hands with James Clerk-Maxwell. Well, not the scientist J C-M, but a great-great-great-grand-something-or-other of the scientist who is my GP.

I have never to my knowledge danced with the man who danced with the girl who danced with the Prince of Wales, but I have shaken the hand of the woman who shook the hand of a man who shook the hand of Jean Sibelius. Does that count? Does it count that, although I have never shaken his hand let alone met him, I am a distant relative of Sir Alex Gibson? He and the former SNO (now the RSNO) are the only conductor and orchestra I have ever heard who can do justice to Sibelius. I saw him conduct Sibelius Symphony No 3. (The entire Gibson/SNO Sibelius symphonies are available to buy on Amazon for a mere £800. To think that a few years back I had them all but threw them out before a big house move!)

Actually, my grandmother did some research into the family tree and discovered that my family were directly in line to the throne. She later revised this and downgraded it to claiming that we were still aristocracy, but this time had had our position usurped by the Duke of Hamilton and his rotten family. So, it's not who I and my family know, but who should lay claim to having met any of us..........

I did mention that my grandmother was a nutter, didn't I?

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
I have shaken the hand of the woman who shook the hand of a man who shook the hand of Jean Sibelius. Does that count? Does it count that, although I have never shaken his hand let alone met him, I am a distant relative of Sir Alex Gibson? He and the former SNO (now the RSNO) are the only conductor and orchestra I have ever heard who can do justice to Sibelius. I saw him conduct Sibelius Symphony No 3. (The entire Gibson/SNO Sibelius symphonies are available to buy on Amazon for a mere £800. To think that a few years back I had them all but threw them out before a big house move!)
Amazon puts big money on any out-of-print records but try getting it! I have most of Sandy's Chandos Sibelius cycle on LP and very good too. Also the early coupling he did of Nos.3 & 7 for Saga. He was a fine musician! :salute:

Amazon puts big money on any out-of-print records but try getting it! I have most of Sandy's Chandos Sibelius cycle on LP and very good too. Also the early coupling he did of Nos.3 & 7 for Saga. He was a fine musician! :salute:
Ah, yes. I remember some of our LPs which were then replaced by cds. I'd forgotten he was called Sandy!

Swifty

I met The Really Wild Show's Chris Packham at a careers convention at the NEC in Birmingham in the late 80's, he was supposed to be there promoting something that I can't remember now. He was wearing a cool Hawaiian looking flowery shirt, I told him I liked his shirt then he said rather bizarrely "You can buy it from me if you want." .. ? .. I didn't buy that shirt on the spot that Chris Packham was still wearing but I've sometimes regretted not saying "Yes please" ..