Ever Met Anyone Famous?

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
I sort of met Nirvana once back when they were supporting Mudhoney .. I mean 'sort of' as in me and Pete Aston had invented a photocopied fanzine called GALORE!, we were there to talk to Mudhoney, the earlier (and some people still argue better) Seattle 'grunge' band and Nirvana were the supporting act, Nervermind hadn't hit the big time at that stage and we did our best to ignore the clearly wasted support act .. no words were exchanged between us although they smelled rank from memory .. so I've smelled Kurt Cobain, David Grohl etc in close proximity .. still not as cool a boast as Mytho shaking hands with Buzz Aldrin though ..

https://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~ptn/mudhoney/tourbook/1989.html

If you can last longer than 20 seconds watching this, good luck ..

Last edited:

Gwiber

Fresh Blood
Nelson Mandela AND Timmy Mallet.

Nelson Mandela I met at an EU summit thing in Cardiff in the late 90s. There was a crowd of people gathering around a hotel in the city centre and my dad, brother and me decided to see what the fuss was because the government were in town and this was before Blair had gone "full arsehole" and decided it would be a good idea to do the whole Iraq war thing so they were still held in pretty good regard. Out popped one government minister, might have been Peter Hain or Jack Straw but I don't remember that part well because they just jumped in a car without even so much as nodding at the crowd. Next out though was Mandela. He went up to everyone watching and shook them by the hand, as there were a lot of people there it took a while and I read in the papers later that he had arrived slightly late to some meeting that day. It was great that he had taken the time to ensure everyone there felt happy and that they had been part of something rather than just passively standing out there seeing people file past, that was the difference between him and the government minister before.

Timmy Mallet I met when he came into a restaurant I was working at for a meal. After he had finished, as an old fan of Wacaday I struck up a conversation with him saying how much fun my brother and I had had watching the show in the holidays. He seemed like a nice bloke. Fast forward 15 years or so and I went to see one of his art exhibitions with my wife, who I had proposed to recently. He is an amazingly talented impressionist painter it turns out. We saw one of the paintings was of the spot where I had proposed to her and we had to buy it. I told the attendant at the gallery why we were buying the panting and that I had met Timmy years back which was one of the reasons we had come to the exhibition in the first place. When we received the painting we found that he had written a lovely personal message to us on the back of the canvas which made it feel even more special.

Verbal Earthworm

_Anagrammatical_
Memory being what it is, I forgot to mention some people (probably a lot more than I currently remember):

I met Billy Bragg in a shop, several times ( I was a shop assistant in a shop around the corner from his Gran's house ).

I spent an afternoon with Aubrey Manning (we don't talk about that), sadly he died last month.

Swifty

I'm good friends with an ex band member of the infamous UK punk band CRASS if that counts as famous?, I bumped into him yesterday, he's just had one of his feet amputated .. they only wanted to take his toes off but he didn't want it spreading so he told them to take the whole foot off after he was given the choice. He's well solid.

Kryptonite

Seeker of truth, drinker of tea.
Not exactly a celebrity encounter, but I once saw two guys getting out of a transit van who were absolute dead-ringers for Tony Iommi and Chuck Norris.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I'm good friends with an ex band member of the infamous UK punk band CRASS if that counts as famous?, I bumped into him yesterday, he's just had one of his feet amputated .. they only wanted to take his toes off but he didn't want it spreading so he told them to take the whole foot off after he was given the choice. He's well solid.
Poor guy! Steve Ignorant?

Swifty

Poor guy! Steve Ignorant?
Not Steve Ignorant, no, although the two are friends .. I take it you know that Steve lives not too far from Cromer then.

Steve's a lifeboat man nowadays believe it or not ... although him and CRASS played Las Vegas last year ..

Last edited:

Ogdred Weary

Cosmically Triggered
Just before Christmas I almost walked into Warwick Davis in Central London: we were at a corner, he was a on a (presumably children's) segway type thing and wearing a suit. I stopped and he did a manoeuvre around me, he seemed pretty adept. It was all over in a second or two, very surreal. Even on the platform, he wasn't much above me waist.

Bad Bungle

King of the Trilobites
Reading Festival 1991: Mean Fiddler Tent: my task was keeping the backstage ramp to the car-park clear for the Stage Crew moving gear in and out. The ramp was a magnet for the differently-normal, so I was fortunate to be confronted by just the one short chap with a wild beard and a pillow shoved down his front. He had a valid pass but didn’t look like the woman in the ID photo. I gave him my 2 days without sleep/ 3 days without a crap look and the bearded Lady stepped back off the ramp and disappeared. Then re-appeared some time later; same beard, same pillow, same ID, same outcome.
Come the evening and he came up to me, removed the beard and paunch and said, ‘look it was me all along!’ Well Mr Edwyn Collins (try Google), you had me there. He left for his trailer, as by my reckoning he was due on Stage in minutes - it was more than an hour later when I grabbed my torch and lead his party up the ramp.
Long story short, he got on stage late and had to be persuaded to leave at the end in a head-lock, in what was affectionately known as the 1991 Reading Riot. Rumours surfaced that Collins had filmed his Road to Reading and released a VHS (Phantasmagoria) that concluded with the Stage scenes. I know I’m on it but had no luck over the years in tracking down a copy for myself

Peripart

Antediluvian
Edwyn Collins sounds like a bit of a prat...

There are some great ones here, which I can't top. Having said that, some of the more obscure celebs, particularly in unlikely situations, are quite fun to read, so here's a couple of mine:

I've exchanged words with Alastair Reynolds (reasonably well-known sci-fi author) whilst admiring his model railway at a show. Since you ask, the model was inspired by the French version of The Office. Anyhow, thoroughly nice guy, as well as one of my favourite authors.

A little over a year ago, I chatted briefly to Steve Sims (former Aston Villa defender) concerning the whereabouts of his dentist. Another nice chap, from the short encounter I had.

Somewhere, I do have a photograph of me as a young'un, sat next to Tom Baker. Think I was probably too shy to speak to him - I would have been around 8. On that topic, but going a bit more obscure again, I managed to snag autographs from Mark Strickson and John Levene on separate occasions (these 2 were also in Dr Who for a while).

Swifty

Going with weird celebrity encounters, Charlie Chuck (weird UK comedian famous for saying donkey) once threw a hatchet into the ground inbetween me and my mate when we were lying down in the green fields at Glastonbury Festival in '92. Then he strolled off with his mate and they did it a few more times to freak out hippies around us. He was wearing a headband at the time.

acharlie.jpg

Krepostnoi

Crabbier than usual
I've exchanged words with Alastair Reynolds (reasonably well-known sci-fi author) whilst admiring his model railway at a show. Since you ask, the model was inspired by the French version of The Office.
Perfect! Close the thread, because this post won't be bettered.

brownmane

Devoted Cultist
If you count a hand shake, I met Tom Selleck when he was filming 3 Men and a Baby. I lived in Toronto at the time and was taking a walk in my neighbourhood. I was walking on Danforth near Main Street subway station and saw huge lights in front of the pharmacy warehouse (can't remember the name) that I used to shop at. I wondered if it was a police stake out (my area was not an affluent area:cat:). A woman with two kids was standing on the curb so I asked her if she knew what was going on. She told me that she'd heard that Tom Selleck was supposed to be filming there that day. Since I'd lived in TO for several years and had not seen one famous person, I stood for two hours at least just to say that I'd seen someone.

By the time Tom Selleck made a showing there was a long line of people waiting to get a glimpse. The woman in front of me was invited to meet him in his trailer and then he came out and shook hands with many of us bystanders. He was also doing Magnum PI at the time and was tanned but looked very tired.

So the pharmacy scene in the movie is a pharmacy that I actually frequented. I have never seen the movie as it is not really my interest (kids and comedy)

I would have preferred to meet Ted Danson, but beggars can't be choosers.

Swifty

I met Don 'Lofty' Estelle from It Aint Half Hot Mum in a Burton on Trent shopping centre once, he was singing and selling cassette tapes of himself singing opera, he had a good voice if you like opera. I might have already mentioned this encounter.

adon.png

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I met Don 'Lofty' Estelle from It Aint Half Hot Mum in a Burton on Trent shopping centre once, he was singing and selling cassette tapes of himself singing opera, he had a good voice if you like opera. I might have already mentioned this encounter.

View attachment 14801
A few years before he died, I saw him in the gardens of an old mansion (can't remember where it was). He was there singing karaoke and selling cassettes. Myself and my friends were the only people passing by and stopping to watch. One of my friends asked who he was. It was all a bit sad.

James_H

And I like to roam the land
Just before Christmas I almost walked into Warwick Davis in Central London: we were at a corner, he was a on a (presumably children's) segway type thing and wearing a suit. I stopped and he did a manoeuvre around me, he seemed pretty adept. It was all over in a second or two, very surreal. Even on the platform, he wasn't much above me waist.
I met the secretary from 'life's too short' at a party once (Matt 'dr who' smith was also there!) And she talks like that in real life.

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
I got a kiss from punkette chanteuse Hazel O'Connor after a gig once.

Also a handshake and a chat with Russ Abbott, after I bumped into him out shopping. An absolute gentleman, who seemed genuinely pleased that I remembered enjoying his Madhouse show.

Lord Lucan

Ephemeral Spectre
I've met a lot of famous people over the years. Australia's a (relatively) small place so it's not too hard to bump into someone, sometimes literally, well known in their various field, once in a while.
Just off the top of my head I've met:
Former Prime Minister Billy McMahon
Former Prime Minister John Howard
Former leader of the Liberal Party John Hewson (my wife & I are friends with his wife).
Sarah Murdoch (O'Hare) - married to Rupert's son Lachlan.
Danny Greene - world champion boxer.
Gary Meaghan - Masterchef host.
Leo Sayer, he lives just a couple of towns away and comes into our shop once in a while. Looks just the same, just not as skinny.
Jimmy Barnes - Cold Chisel lead singer.
Peter Garrett- Midnight Oil frontman & politician. His daughter & my eldest son went to school together so we'd chat at presentation nights.
John Waters - actor. He's been in a million shows but best known as one of the hosts of Playschool.
Pat Lovell- director of the original 'Picnic at Hanging Rock'.
Noeline Brown - Aussie actress & comedian
Col Joye - Australian music legend. Lived next door to him when I was young.
David Williamson - Australian playwright.
Mick Jagger. Met him in Bali just after he broke up with Bianca (1978).

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
I've met a lot of famous people over the years. Australia's a (relatively) small place so it's not too hard to bump into someone, sometimes literally, well known in their various field, once in a while.
Just off the top of my head I've met:
Former Prime Minister Billy McMahon
Former Prime Minister John Howard
Former leader of the Liberal Party John Hewson (my wife & I are friends with his wife).
Sarah Murdoch (O'Hare) - married to Rupert's son Lachlan.
Danny Greene - world champion boxer.
Gary Meaghan - Masterchef host.
Leo Sayer, he lives just a couple of towns away and comes into our shop once in a while. Looks just the same, just not as skinny.
Jimmy Barnes - Cold Chisel lead singer.
Peter Garrett- Midnight Oil frontman & politician. His daughter & my eldest son went to school together so we'd chat at presentation nights.
John Waters - actor. He's been in a million shows but best known as one of the hosts of Playschool.
Pat Lovell- director of the original 'Picnic at Hanging Rock'.
Noeline Brown - Aussie actress & comedian
Col Joye - Australian music legend. Lived next door to him when I was young.
David Williamson - Australian playwright.
Mick Jagger. Met him in Bali just after he broke up with Bianca (1978).
I know six of those names!

You can probably guess which.

(I really should have known a seventh, but to be honest I didn't).

Ideasman

Junior Acolyte
During the late 1980s I literally ran into Roy Hattersley. A friend and I were in Edinburgh for the Fringe and were running down West Bow towards Cowgate to make a gig we'd booked when Roy and his wife suddenly emerged from a side door in full evening dress. I collided with him and he fell back against the wall and I ended up on the pavement. We were both OK so just apologised and carried on. My friend and I turned to each other and said 'That was Roy Hattersley!'. Not collided with any Shadow Home Secretaries since though...

Lb8535

Ephemeral Spectre
I worked most of my life in theater and my job was principally dealing with the people, many of them successful. So I guess I've met many. But it's really true that they're almost all like anyone else - had more luck than most. The ones who are not just like anyone else have worked hard at thinking that they're special and in general they were a serious pain to deal with - that's where you earn your salary. One of the most pleasant that I remember was Jerry Orbach, who was a regular friendly person.

Peripart

Antediluvian
I've exchanged words with Alastair Reynolds (reasonably well-known sci-fi author) whilst admiring his model railway at a show. Since you ask, the model was inspired by the French version of The Office. Anyhow, thoroughly nice guy, as well as one of my favourite authors.
Perfect! Close the thread, because this post won't be bettered.
I hardly think so, but thanks for saying it! I guess the combination of the mundane and the slightly surreal is quite amusing. I won't go into just how Mr Reynold's railway was connected with the French Office, unless anyone really wants to know...

I've met a lot of famous people over the years...

I'd forgotten about him (and had no idea he lived in Australia, for that matter) - a couple of years back, we sat at the next table to him in a restaurant in Aldridge. Same hair, same face (and still very short!), just not quite so thin, as you say. He was eating with a couple of mates, and sounded very down to Earth, although I didn't speak to him myself. One of his mates obviously fancied himself a bit, and had spiky hair and was clearly trying to look like 80s popster Limahl. Actually, could it have been him? Anyway, I think Mr Sayer was probably the only one in the room wearing trainers, but that's fine, of course.

Swifty

I hardly think so, but thanks for saying it! I guess the combination of the mundane and the slightly surreal is quite amusing. I won't go into just how Mr Reynold's railway was connected with the French Office, unless anyone really wants to know...

I'd forgotten about him (and had no idea he lived in Australia, for that matter) - a couple of years back, we sat at the next table to him in a restaurant in Aldridge. Same hair, same face (and still very short!), just not quite so thin, as you say. He was eating with a couple of mates, and sounded very down to Earth, although I didn't speak to him myself. One of his mates obviously fancied himself a bit, and had spiky hair and was clearly trying to look like 80s popster Limahl. Actually, could it have been him? Anyway, I think Mr Sayer was probably the only one in the room wearing trainers, but that's fine, of course.
When you say Aldridge, that's Aldridge near Birmingham? .. I used to work there.

Bad Bungle

King of the Trilobites
I went to a Talk by David Attenborough in London in 1995 just after he'd finished the Secret Life of Plants series. I know this wasn't really *meeting* him but it was a small informal lecture theatre with less than 50 people there. We had a 45 minute slide show on the making of the series, including candid shots of David being strapped into a chair and hoisted to the top of the jungle canopy (he hates heights). There also snaps of earlier expeditions and he explained the difficulties of trying to film hippos in swamp land whilst on the backs of elephants (they don't like each other). Next came 45 minutes of Question and Answer which covered everything - a 10 year old kid had been primed by his father to ask about pay and earnings. Lastly was a 45 minute Book signing session.
Everything you've heard about Attenborough being a kind, charming, friendly, patient, good-humoured, intelligent, interesting and enthusiastic person is true.