Ever Sent Yourself A Message?

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
This encapsulates anything...

So... maybe realise you really need to have a word with yourself...

...this just simply can't go on...

Might relate to:

- a personal relationship, or maybe one you wish for and just can't ask the other person because you're not entirely sure they feel the same way

- problems at work you know you should have dealt with

- you know you're drinking far too much, or whatever related and it's something you'll 'sort out' when 'the time is right'

...and so on.

Could have been a text or e-mail to another account you hold, or.... perhaps more intriguingly, voicemail or the voice recorder/'Dictaphone' many of us have installed on our mobiles these days..

Just a thought, as I was recently going to do so via said mobile voice recorder...

...and then realised that, no matter the good intentions..

...it would absolutely freak the bejesus out of me!

If this isn't regarded as Fotean related, I do apologise and doubtless dealt with accordingly.

I just wasn't sure.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
(1) In response to your question ...

Yes, I've deliberately messaged myself, but not for personal or self-lecturing reasons.

There have been occasions when I've messaged myself from a remote location using a public means or someone else's account to ensure something important (e.g., data; addresses; note for future reference) was recorded and preserved for later access at my actual or virtual 'home' location.

If I feel the need to have a heart-to-heart talk with myself, I do it in the non-tech old school fashion - i.e., verbally.

For example, I've conducted lengthy conversations with myself while driving for hours cross-country. I've also found that withdrawing to a private place and talking to myself (especially in a mirror) can be a constructive way to sort through complicated or chaotic issues.

It works best if you're able to shift into a sort of 2-in-1 role play mode, but it almost always helps (at least for me).

(2) This strikes me as more of a Chat than a General Forteana topic (absent examples of its inducing weirdness), so I'll move it to Chat.

(If you object, please PM me with at least a cursory explanation why you think it should be moved back here or some other place within the forum.)

Last edited:

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
I recorded a cassette message to myself when I was about 13 to be listened back to in the future (the year 2000) but unfortunately I lost the tape (or taped something over it by accident).

onetwothree

Sigils, Prosecco and crying are my main talents.
Reaction score
I took part in an immersive art project thingy a few years ago and one of the things we had to do was to write an email which was to be sent to us at some unspecified time in the future. It hasn't shown up yet...

Anonymous-50446

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
There have been occasions when I've messaged myself from a remote location using a public means or someone else's account to ensure something important (e.g., data; addresses; note for future reference) was recorded and preserved for later access at my actual or virtual 'home' location.
I do this a lot, I email myself notes from the office to home and vice versa.
For example, I've conducted lengthy conversations with myself while driving for hours cross-country. I've also found that withdrawing to a private place and talking to myself (especially in a mirror) can be a constructive way to sort through complicated or chaotic issues.
I've found it more effective to use a pen and write about the said chaotic issues and how I feel about them and why.

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
...If I feel the need to have a heart-to-heart talk with myself, I do it in the non-tech old school fashion - i.e., verbally...
So, you never leave yourself a message for the next morning?

Would that maybe because... especially a voicemail/mobile sound recorder might be slightly disconcerting...

... after much thought here... perhaps a realisation...!

...that's the fellow, isn't it... mucha gracia!

It's actually a thought about leaving yourself a *voice* message, playing it back and then hearing yourself speaking to yourself... giving yourself a good 'talking to'!

No chance... not happenin'...

Swifty

Reaction score
I sometimes use the send message function on other forums (yes, there are other forums) to store stuff I like, music videos, TV reminders or links by sending them to myself but I don't seem able to do the same thing here which is a shame.

INT21

Antediluvian
Reaction score
I could never see the point in doing this.

leave short aides memoir by all means (just remember where you left them).

But what the idea here seems to be is a form of self psycho analysis.

The problem is that you will only see it from your point of view. And you already know that.

Analysis requires an outside body to interject into your narrative some aspect that you yourself have not considered. Or even subconsciously are blocking out.

INT21

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Would you - anyone else here! -be comfortable leaving yourself an intentionally *overnight* voice, profoundly heartfelt, message that you know will implore, say, 'look, listen, this needs to sorted out and you're just not dealing with it...'?

Personally, if I ever did... (reason for highlighting this topic... came darned close to doing so!), all that would happen over breakfast...

Message from myself last night... can't remember that...?:...

'Right mate, you really need to get a grip of all this and I mean SERIOUSLY...'.

'Away you you to $€∆¥...I've got have enough problems already'...

Anonymous-50446

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
I could never see the point in doing this.

leave short aides memoir by all means (just remember where you left them).

But what the idea here seems to be is a form of self psycho analysis.

The problem is that you will only see it from your point of view. And you already know that.

Analysis requires an outside body to interject into your narrative some aspect that you yourself have not considered. Or even subconsciously are blocking out.

INT21
Technically true.

But as the often sage Mrs Coal pointed out, it's often not the main thing which upsets you it's the last thing.

It can sometimes take a while to figure out what the main thing was...and a nice pen and good quality paper and a ramble though the subject often sorts it out. And, surprisingly, you then feel better.

Swifty

Reaction score
Would you - anyone else here! -be comfortable leaving yourself an intentionally *overnight* voice, profoundly heartfelt, message that you know will implore, say, 'look, listen, this needs to sorted out and you're just not dealing with it...'?

Personally, if I ever did... (reason for highlighting this topic... came darned close to doing so!), all that would happen over breakfast...

Message from myself last night... can't remember that...?:...

'Right mate, you really need to get a grip of all this and I mean SERIOUSLY...'.

'Away you you to $€∆¥...I've got have enough problems already'...
Reminds me of that bit it Shaun Of The Dead

aboard.jpg

INT21

Antediluvian
Reaction score
leaving yourself 'to do' notes during the comfort of an evening is all very well, but in the cold light of day things look very different.

INT21

Swifty

Reaction score
I leave notes on A5 bits of paper, hand written in bold and always with an asterix and exclamation mark next to them so I'll notice it's something important the next day .. hopefully ..

INT21

Antediluvian
Reaction score
There is also the fact that most of us are part of some kind of group. Family etc.

So whatever we do we have to consider the effect of this on the others. Maybe it is a benign change (don't drink so much) which has to be good.

Unless, like myself, you are a total abstainer from dink. In this case it would be 'maybe I should go out with the others and have a few beers'. They may like this change, although it would be against my instincts, , but they may also think 'hold on a minute, he doesn't normally drink. What is going on ?' .

INT21

INT21

Antediluvian
Reaction score
'fake news': they don't exist.

INT21

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Technically true.

But as the often sage Mrs Coal pointed out, it's often not the main thing which upsets you it's the last thing.

It can sometimes take a while to figure out what the main thing was...and a nice pen and good quality paper and a ramble though the subject often sorts it out. And, surprisingly, you then feel better.
So... basically.... you're another one who's scared to phone yourself!

INT21

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Comfortably Numb.

..it would absolutely freak the bejesus out of me!..

Why should it do that ? Surely you will know you sent it.

INT21

INT21

Antediluvian
Reaction score
So... basically.... you're another one who's scared to phone yourself!..

What if you you refuse to take the call ?

INT21

Note, I have Caller ID on my phone.

Swifty

Reaction score
Swerving off topic slightly but I once worked for someone for a while who refused to accept hand written notes or even read the whiteboard in the office if anyone made notes on it .. so I'd say something like "The staff toilet's run out of toilet paper, do you want me to nip to the shop over the road and buy some, I can get it out of petty cash and bring the receipt? .. erm, I wrote it on the board?" .. "I don't ever read that board, text requests to me instead" .. (he's stood right next to me, the business was only the size of a semi detached house, the shop's only over the road) .. "But my phone is pay as you go?" .. twat .. I refused to text him, I still would have refused even if I'd had a contract phone.

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Comfortably Numb.

..it would absolutely freak the bejesus out of me!..

Why should it do that ? Surely you will know you sent it.

INT21
What if you can't remember you sent sent/left yourself a message though..

...and suddenly find yourself reading the proverbial riot act to yourself...especially if you were heavily partying night before...!

Tigerhawk

Dazed and confused...
Reaction score
Usually "To Do" lists, and reminders to bring something or other into work the next day...