Ever Sent Yourself A Message?

Spookdaddy

Cuckoo
Reaction score
I recorded a cassette message to myself when I was about 13 to be listened back to in the future (the year 2000) but unfortunately I lost the tape (or taped something over it by accident).
I'm not sure how useful mine would have been:

Paul French is a fat bastard. Mr Evans smells oddly of peeled potatoes. Girls - I think I might quite like them. Cider tastes like dolls piss (but I'm going to work at it). The Ruts are ace - but my mum won't let me listen to them on dad's Hi-Fi. My mum is a cow. I hate cigarettes - does that really mean I'm gay, like Paul French says? Is it physically possible to eat too many Mars bars? I'm really, really bored of Top Trumps; when are they going to invent PlayStation?

Spookdaddy

Cuckoo
Reaction score
I leave notes on A5 bits of paper, hand written in bold and always with an asterix and exclamation mark next to them so I'll notice it's something important the next day .. hopefully ..
I find such things temporarily satisfy an immediate desire to feel organised - but largely fail in the longer term (say, any time after five minutes). What I find more effective, if it's something I really need to sort, is putting something physical in an odd place, but one I know I can't help but encounter in the morning. Like a sock on the kettle!

Seriously, if I read a post-it note first thing in the morning my mental response is, 'yeah, right...that's interesting' - followed by '.........'.

If there's a sock on the kettle I do whatever shit the sock on the kettle is there to remind me of there and then.

Hold on. I think I've just had an idea for a self-help book.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
I find such things temporarily satisfy an immediate desire to feel organised - but largely fail in the longer term (say, any time after five minutes). What I find more effective, if it's something I really need to sort, is putting something physical in an odd place, but one I know I can't help but encounter in the morning. Like a sock on the kettle!

Seriously, if I read a post-it note first thing in the morning my mental response is, 'yeah, right...that's interesting' - followed by '.........'.

If there's a sock on the kettle I do whatever shit the sock on the kettle is there to remind me of there and then.

Hold on. I think I've just had an idea for a self-help book.
My Dad used to do the same thing, he'd put a salt shaker (for example) somewhere weird so he'd think "why did I do that?" ..

Spookdaddy

Cuckoo
Reaction score
My Dad used to do the same thing, he'd put a salt shaker (for example) somewhere weird so he'd think "why did I do that?" ..
Exactly! And it works. As counter-intuitive as it sounds I have a vague hunch that it's a more effective way of sending yourself a message than actually writing something down down - and maybe even a healthier one for your brain. A bit like walking to work, rather than getting in the car.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
Exactly! And it works. As counter-intuitive as it sounds I have a vague hunch that it's a more effective way of sending yourself a message than actually writing something down down - and maybe even a healthier one for your brain. A bit like walking to work, rather than getting in the car.
I've been walking to work or bike riding there for years now after I used to drive there, it's way healthier and more relaxing, almost zero stress plus you get time to notice small changes on your route through the year. I think you should write that book.

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Come on, note the intentional exclamation mark - never intended to be taken that seriously...

Anonymous-50446

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
I've done the same, I leave something in front of the door or on my keyboard.

oldrover

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I tried this recently, I was going round in circles with my research into the tiger and decided to start a video diary to summarise where I'd left off at the end of everyday I'd done any work on it. Those days coincided with days off, which themselves coincided with a sharp increase in alcohol intake. It didn't go well, lot of eye rolling, repetition, and struggling to remember the point I'd wanted to make. I stopped.

Kryptonite

Stanley Unwin enthusiasty. Deep joy!
Reaction score
Does anyone remember that around 2006, they temporarily had Tom Baker's voice reading out text messages sent to a landline?

I spent a whole evening texting stupid stuff to my own landline just to hear Tom Baker reading it out. Even typed out the lyrics to Stairway to Heaven, which sounds incredible in Doctor Tom's voice!

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Once wrote myself a stern letter about a bad habit I had, and hid it. The idea was that next time I was tempted to do the thing I'd retrieve and read the letter and slap some common sense into myself.

The first line was 'Remember how you feel right now.'
How I felt was humiliated, ashamed and lucky to still have a roof over my head and a family. That's how bad it was!

It worked, insofar as I'd dropped myself in it so badly that last time - hence the letter - that just the fact that I'd had to write it kept me on the straight and narrow. Never since then have I done the thing and I have learned to live amicably with the temptation.