• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Everything Is Spying On Us

My dad has - it was during WW2. The local gypsies would do it and my dad being about 6 at the time would join them when it came to eating. The gypsies lived just down the lane and meat was hard to come by.

This is of course before the gypsy community got into drugs-but that's another story.

Wrap in mud, throw on bonfire and after an hour or so take it out and as you crack the mud the spines come off as well! You can do your baked potatoes at the same time!
i've never eaten it or tried it but i've heard this called gypsy pie. (not to be confused with gypsy tart which is basically baked condensed milk and sugar)

speaking of pies and spying....on friday at the shop i impulse bought a peach swirl cheescake because it was reduced and i am a cheapskate. later while online i started getting bombarded with adverts for cheesecakes! i had not mentioned my purchase online or on the phone or anywhere except at home, in person. i don't generally get adverts for food. creepy, thats what it is.

Early 2000ish I was working on the refurbishment of a very old and majestic government building in Whitehall. English heritage had a big say in everything we did and when reviewing the designs for the security provision their architect had a moan about the aesthetics of the security cameras, unsightly, big and bulky. He then enquired if modern technology could disguise the cameras as pigeons...”or something less obtrusive”. A whole room of construction professionals were biting their bottoms lips to stifle the roaring laughter that was trying to escape.

but, but....that sounds awesome. i can just picture a mechanical pigeon or owl turning its camera head back and forth. maybe with red glowing eyes for extra effect?

Thumb_Bubo.jpg

Here’s one. I was talking (texting) to my friend, mentioned something. I didn’t even spell it correctly then a short while later she got an advert for it on Facebook. (She didn’t look it up as she’d seen it before.)

I would tell you what it was but it’s been haunting me ever since and I don’t want to curse you guys too.

You know what guys. I use microsoft xp. I can't afford to update software. I am unable to update any browsers, I use an ad blocker and I never get adverts.

So, I think MoringAngel may be on to something here. I have never in the past nor will I ever in the future, use social media. I think that is where the link (or should I say leak) must be.

Here’s one. I was talking (texting) to my friend, mentioned something. I didn’t even spell it correctly then a short while later she got an advert for it on Facebook. (She didn’t look it up as she’d seen it before.)

I would tell you what it was but it’s been haunting me ever since and I don’t want to curse you guys too.
You're not the only one who's had these "coincidences". Google sometimes popped up things, so I shifted to DuckDuckGo, which seems to be better.

This is a weird one. I was reading one of my old Torchwood fan fictions and accidentally selected the address bar. My phone suggested Torchwood as a replacement fair enough. But also Kai Owen, who plays one of the leads boyfriend/husband Rhys. As far as I am aware I don’t have the actors named anywhere on there (and he would be low down the list) so where did it get that from? Is my phone a Rhys fan?

Attachments

• 6409FE51-A3DD-4C1C-B977-8CE47233E2FC.png
    6409FE51-A3DD-4C1C-B977-8CE47233E2FC.png
    289 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Years ago, I found this really interesting post on a forum somewhere (and yes, got no idea where), about a MRPG where the AI appeared to have become sentient and were meeting up in a cave on the game somewhere to discuss their strategies. Might be an urban myth but was really intriguing.

FB algorithms certainly have me pegged - I'm always getting the ads for funeral plans etc ("only" in my 50s) and pictures of toothless people with faces like wizened apples trying to sell me some old person product or other.

FB algorithms certainly have me pegged - I'm always getting the ads for funeral plans etc ("only" in my 50s) and pictures of toothless people with faces like wizened apples trying to sell me some old person product or other.
A bit alarming.

If you use Firefox browsers, you can put Facebook in a 'container' which means FB can only monitor your activity whilst actively using FB. Just a small bit of kit, useful for PCs/laptops. I also monitor my cookie settings, tracker settings and don't connect my FB account with any other websites/apps. I also use a browser adblocker - it's like using the Internet in 1998 with faster pages. Lovely blank spages everywhere :)

Back