• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Everything Is Under Control

AgProv

Doctor of Disorientation Studies, UnseenUniversity
too North to be Midlands, too south to be North
This isn't about any one conspiracy per se; it's a digression into an interesting book I picked up by one Robert Anton Wilson, pretty much an overview of what he considered were the most prevalent, or at least interesting, conspiracy theories doing the rounds at the time of writing, 1999. Everything is Under Control is a pretty good read. As part of his research, he got a co-researcher called Miriam Joan Hill to open a website for people to post their favourite conspiracy theories, on the off-chance new ones would come up that he hadn't heard of.

This one emerged:

"...the government is trying to introduce aliens into our society, gradually... I think they will choose somebody who is famous and in the public eye and it will not really alarm anybody when he reveals the truth... Anyway, if you think about it, Michael Jackson is gradually turning into his alien form. His skin is lightening, his nose is shrinking, and his eyes will begin to get larger soon." (this was in 1998-99)

This is Robert Anton Wilson, the man who coined the phrases "Convictions make convicts" and "Reality is what you can get away with".

Later in the book there is a tantalising snippet in the discussion concerning Jack The Ripper and conspiracy theories therein. R.A. Wilson reveals he was in correspondence with "English author and criminologist Colin Wilson." (who was a bit more dogmatic in his assumptions and appeared to believe "everything mysterious or seemingly inexplicable always resolves as an Outsider using Faculty X").

Now - the two Wilsons in correspondence. That would have been a wall to be a fly upon! (must be in the papers left behind by both deceased authors?)

And Fortean Times gets an entry, too. Not as part of any conspiracy theory - but as a reporter of them, a place for "thinking about the unthinkable".

1609716071255.png

Ah. A conspiracy between the author and the editors of FT to publish RAW in FT23 so as to spread the idea that the number 23 is in some way special... NOW it makes sense. Colin W's been in FT as well, as I recall?

Ah. A conspiracy between the author and the editors of FT to publish RAW in FT23 so as to spread the idea that the number 23 is in some way special... NOW it makes sense. Colin W's been in FT as well, as I recall?
CW has been written about and mentioned in FT many times but not sure off the top of my head if he ever wrote anything for it.
The “specialness” of 23 was around before the article, I assume Bob felt it was fitting to have it in issue 23.

FT23 must have been really early on. Early 1980's? I do recall CW was interviewed for FT shortly before he died, can't recall which number. I also recall a member of the FT prduction team might have reviewed a book CW wrote or edited, gave it a really stinking review, noted Wilson was in a precarious financial position, unable to retire, and having to do hack-work that was way beneath his abilities - as memory serves, on behalf of FT he said "if you need paid work, why not approach us?"

FT23 must have been really early on. Early 1980's? I do recall CW was interviewed for FT shortly before he died, can't recall which number. I also recall a member of the FT prduction team might have reviewed a book CW wrote or edited, gave it a really stinking review, noted Wilson was in a precarious financial position, unable to retire, and having to do hack-work that was way beneath his abilities - as memory serves, on behalf of FT he said "if you need paid work, why not approach us?"
1977 for issue 23.

The interview was issue 188 in 2004, conducted by Gary Lachman.

A most welcome thread indeed. I think that a reminder of Colin Wilson's optimism is to be welcomed, and got a great deal from reading some of his work, though not so interested in his books on crime. I would recommend 'Super Consciousness -the Quest for the Peak Experience' very highly, seems to be an excellent summing up of Colin Wilson's essential ideas in his own words.
Currently reading Robert Shea and Robert Anton Wilson's 'The Illuminatus Trilogy' which is jolly good fun .

Back