• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Evidence For Ancient Atomic Warfare?

A

Anonymous

In one of the East Indian epics there is a passage about a weapon that released "all the power of the universe" or some such. I can't remember the passage, or which epic, or where I read it. Do any of you know what I'm talking about and can you give me the specific quotes involved?

I know the passage you are probably thinking of. It is from the Mahabarata. I'll post the specific passages if I can find my copy amongst the mess that is my library.

Thank you very much! I've looked everywhere I know to look online and come up blank. The main reason I signed up for this message board (though I'll definitely be staying) was to ask this specific question.

The dreaded von Daniken was (rightly) intrigued by all the high tech references in Indian 'religious' literature, and quoted quite a lot of it, so you may also have read it in his books.

These books also include references to flying machines called vimanas, and other wonders that really make you wonder if conventional history is just too short-sighted.

And I've heard that most of the Maharabata thing hasn't been translated from Sanskrit. I kinda fear what we will read when it happens.

Click HERE for an interesting article about ancient atomic warfare (at least I thought so). I dunno if it's real or not but it makes one think about our past and what we are capable of.........

Link is dead. The article(s) (in 2 parts / installments) can be accessed in archived form from the Wayback Machine.

Part 1:

https://web.archive.org/web/20020201200527/https://www.nexusmagazine.com/ancatomicwar1.html

Part 2:

https://web.archive.org/web/20020207015417/http://www.nexusmagazine.com:80/ancatomicwar2.html

They can also be purchased and then downloaded from the magazine's website, which describes them as follows:

ANCIENT ATOMIC WARFARE—Part 1/2
By David Hatcher Childress.
Are the fused desert sands of Egypt and California and the vitrified ruins of Scotland, France, Turkey and India evidence of high-tech weaponry and atomic war in antiquity?

ANCIENT ATOMIC WARFARE—Part 2/2
By David Hatcher Childress.
Radioactive salt pillars in the Dead Sea and the ruins of vitrified cities in the Indus Valley give credence to descriptions in the Vedic texts of high-tech wars in ancient times.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I read this article originally I thought that it was a bit weak. It seems to cover a very wide timespan with its artifacts some of them so recent in history that it is hard to believe there is no oral record of such cataclysmic events.

I've not finished the article yet (I'll do that offline), so it may be it mentions this possibly associated point:

In Scotland and the Hebrides there are ancient defensive towers called brochs, and some of these show signs of glassification on the outside as if they'd been subjected to great heat.

Whether the heat from ordinary fires, set by invaders to smoke out the defenders, would be sufficient, I don't know.

Intaglio asks about oral records, but surely these are already incorporated and preserved in the Indian religious texts?

There's a bit of this in the Bible you know. Ezekiel gives a pretty good account of the effects of radiation on livestock and people.

I won't elaborate further but take a look for yourself. The first vew versus could be of interest to the Ufologists out there.

I'm an atheist btw.

Forgot to say: get a King James Bible, later versions are somewhat watered down.

I used to live on a place called the Black Isle in the Highlands (of Scotland). Near where we stayed was a hill fort with this kind of effect. Theres a proper name for it that i cant remember. I always supposed that it was just a sound defensive practice. When the forts/brochs were being built they placed stacks of charcoal/wood in between the stones and set fire to it. You can get some very high temps from charcoal and this would have melted the individual stones into one big stone- making it a much stronger defensive position

The stuff about the vitrified scottish forts was covered in the article referenced, and there is also discussion there about when, how and why the forts got into that condition. Still a puzzle, it seems.

I read something once about evidence of nuclear explosions taking place in the distant past.

I think that was mentioned in a Von Daniken book...

Recently, http://www.rense.com has been hot about the
layer of "fused green glass" found in both the
Sahara and in India, because of the current threat of
nuclear war in that region.

TVgeek

from rense.com

Ancient City Found In India
Irradiated By Nuclear Blast
8,000 Years Ago...
http://www.isleofavalon.co.uk/edu/g-bank/articles/anctcity.html
This file shared with KeelyNet courtesy of Bryant Stavely.
Excerpt from the World Island Review, January 1992.
9-10-00

To read more about the amazing "air craft" ( Vimana )
recorded in ancient Hindu writings, click here
_
_
Radiation still so intense, the area is highly dangerous
_
A heavy layer of radioactive ash in Rajasthan, India, covers a three-square mile area, ten miles west of Jodhpur. Scientists are investigating the site, where a housing development was being built.
_
For some time it has been established that there is a very high rate of birth defects and cancer in the area under construction. The levels of radiation there have registered so high on investigators' gauges that the Indian government has now cordoned off the region. Scientists have unearthed an ancient city where evidence shows an atomic blast dating back thousands of years, from 8,000 to 12,000 years, destroyed most of the buildings and probably a half-million people. One researcher estimates that the nuclear bomb used was about the size of the ones dropped on Japan in 1945.
_
The Mahabharata clearly describes a catastrophic blast that rocked the continent. "A single projectile charged with all the power in the Universe...An incandescent column of smoke and flame as bright as 10,000 suns, rose in all its splendor...it was an unknown weapon, an iron thunderbolt, a gigantic messenger of death which reduced to ashes an entire race.
_
"The corpses were so burned as to be unrecognizable. Their hair and nails fell out, pottery broke without any apparent cause, and the birds turned white.
_
"After a few hours, all foodstuffs were infected. To escape from this fire, the soldiers threw themselves into the river."
_
Historian Kisari Mohan Ganguli says that Indian sacred writings are full of such descriptions, which sound like an atomic blast as experienced in Hiroshima and Nagasaki. He says references mention fighting sky chariots and final weapons. An ancient battle is described in the Drona Parva, a section of the Mahabharata. "The passage tells of combat where explosions of final weapons decimate entire armies, causing crowds of warriors with steeds and elephants and weapons to be carried away as if they were dry leaves of trees," says Ganguli.
_
"Instead of mushroom clouds, the writer describes a perpendicular explosion with its billowing smoke clouds as consecutive openings of giant parasols. There are comments about the contamination of food and people's hair falling out."
_
Archeologist Francis Taylor says that etchings in some nearby temples he has managed to translate suggest that they prayed to be spared from the great light that was coming to lay ruin to the city. "It's so mid-boggling to imagine that some civilization had nuclear technology before we did. The radioactive ash adds credibility to the ancient Indian records that describe atomic warfare."
_
Construction has halted while the five member team conducts the investigation. The foreman of the project is Lee Hundley, who pioneered the investigation after the high level of radiation was discovered.
_
_

I may be being stupid here, as I'm not a rocket scientist, but couldn't that be a desciption of a meteor strike, similar to Tungusca? Doesn't that sort of impact produce radiation? (Or maybe the meteor contained radioactive materials). The "chariots in the sky" bit could also be seen that way.
:confused:

Re: from rense.com

FraterLibre said:
For some time it has been established that there is a very high rate of birth defects and cancer in the area under construction. The levels of radiation there have registered so high on investigators' gauges that the Indian government has now cordoned off the region. Scientists have unearthed an ancient city where evidence shows an atomic blast dating back thousands of years, from 8,000 to 12,000 years, destroyed most of the buildings and probably a half-million people. One researcher estimates that the nuclear bomb used was about the size of the ones dropped on Japan in 1945.

Yet Hiroshima and Nagasaki are habitable? :confused:

Even the ground zero a very 'dirty' 15 kiloton nuclear bomb would not leave radiation for that many years.

Seeing as Daniken's inventive add-ons to Gilgamesh were put about a bit, has anyone actually read the Mahabharata, and (if so) do these tales of 'nuclear weapons' actually feature?

Posted, Not Endorsed

I just posted the article, I didn't and don't endorse its content.

DerekH, your objections are quite on target. And it's this over-stating things, and misinterpreting things to suit pet theories, rather than deducing FROM the facts, that lead to such stuff being rightfully dismissed and ignored by genuine and sober scientists.

JerryB said:
Seeing as Daniken's inventive add-ons to Gilgamesh were put about a bit, has anyone actually read the Mahabharata, and (if so) do these tales of 'nuclear weapons' actually feature?

I think he mentions in 'Broca's Brain' ..... Carl Sagan was discussing Von D (or similar) with a professor of comparative religion/hindu studies (something like that - what a memory, eh?) and they'd agreed that 'it' was interesting.

'Of course,' says Sagan, 'the science is complete bobbins, but the religious stuff is good' (I'm paraphrasing somewhat...)

'Oh,' says t'other guy, 'it's the science that impressed me, 'cos the religious stuff is poorly translated, mis-quoted, or fabricated....'

Which left....... :rolleyes:

Quick post

Difference between the Indian site as opposed to Hiroshima/Nagasaki... H/N were air strikes. The India description sounds like a very low altitiude burst/ground strike (look at the low level burst results form the Manhatten Project etc) In a ground strike, there as a lot more residual radiation. Air strike most damage is blast wave/ fire storm related. Mininmal radiation. Also, Big Boy and Little Boy were small nukes.

Not saying its true...

8¬)

JerryB said:
........has anyone actually read the Mahabharata, and (if so) do these tales of 'nuclear weapons' actually feature?

I read it some time ago, (R.K Narayan's Translation) can''t remeber any details, other than it was extremely fantastical, Heroes chucking moutains at each other, Flying, Supernatural weapons etc. which could, i suppose, be read as the product of an ancient, technologically advanced Civilisation, if you're that way inclined. Which i'm not. I don't remember thinking that at the time. Just thought it was a bit mad.

Both bombs dropped on Japan were, IIRC, 15 or 25 kilotons. The report compares the 'weapons' effect in India to those at Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Even a ground burst would still not leave that much radiation after all of these years, particularly from such a (relatively) small nuclear explosion.

No bomb could leave such an amount of radiation, for such a long time, to do so, it would have made a bigger impact on the world(i.e, it would be torn asunder)..however nothing should be dissmissed as these "Ancient Anolomies" are wide spread, and fairly well documented,Much more intriguing are the stories of human artifacts, encased in 100 million year old rock(more time travel cock ups???), and the sandal print on a "trodden" on trilobite(?).......and many more,m suggest reading Micheal Cremo

Ancient Atomic War

Link to Nexus Magazine
The Evidence for Atomic Warfare by David Hatcher Childress

~Religious texts and geological evidence suggest that several parts of the world have experienced destructive atomic blasts in ages past.~

Consider these verses from the ancient Mahabharata:

...(it was) a single projectile
Charged with all the power of the Universe.
An incandescent column of smoke and flame
As bright as the thousand suns
Rose in all its splendour...

..it was an unknown weapon,
An iron thunderbolt,
A gigantic messenger of death,
Which reduced to ashes
The entire race of the Vrishnis and the Andhakas.

..The corpses were so burned
As to be unrecognisable.
The hair and nails fell out;
Pottery broke without apparent cause,
And the birds turned white.

After a few hours
All foodstuffs were infected...
...to escape from this fire
The soldiers threw themselves in streams
To wash themselves and their equipment.

I found this article fascinating. Not only does it talk about ancient nuclear weaponry, but relates to many sites all over the world affected by what seems to be nuclear damage.

But is this stuff actually from the Mahabarahta? As i noted before, Daniken added fabriactions to the Epic of Gilgamesh. I wonder if these tales of ancient nukes arene't simply copies of copies of fabrications, endlesses repeated because no-one's bothered to check...

Hot Glass Deserts

Ah, but the ancient nuclear battle scenario makes such a lovely cover story for illicit nuclear bomb tests, doesn't it?

How deep the perfidy, how wide the acceptance.

NOTE:

The links and discussion above mostly address vitrified hill forts and / or fused materials.
Since this thread began, a separate thread has arisen that more directly focuses on the vitrified hill forts:

Vitrified Forts?
http://forum.forteantimes.com/index.php?threads/vitrified-forts.19364/

IF YOU WISH TO DISCUSS VITRIFIED FORTS / STONEWORKS, PLEASE DO SO IN THAT OTHER THREAD.

Last edited:
Back