• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Evil Smiley Cult Alert

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Salford's Inspection and Advisory Service has circularized schools
in the area with an Alert dated 29th November. Text as follows:

"There are rumours circulating around the city that a gang of youths
calling themselves Smilies are targeting schools. They are reported
to place razor blades in the mouths of victims then hit them in the
face so the blades cut their cheeks.

"Information has come from The Albion High School who have been
contacted by a number of parents anxious about the rumours around
the area.

"The rumours are unconfirmed but it would be as well to be on the
alert in case there is any truth in them. Obviously the Police need
to be contacted if there is concern . . . "

This appears to be an UL, especially as there are no known victims
of the cult. Has it surfaced anywhere near you? I think the horror
element depends on the old-fashioned kind of double-sided naked
blade. Somehow a Contour Type blade would lack the same bite.

Anyway, how do you get someone to take a razor blade in their
mouth? Easier just to slash them and run, I find. :)

Excellent! I was reading an FT back issue about 10 minutes ago - about phantom slashers - then logged in and opened this thread first....

Anyway, I'm glad the notice IDs it as a rumour. Since it originated with parents I imagine it did the rounds among the kids somehow then filtered all the way back up.

I can understand the school's stance, they're damned if they do circulate it, and damned if they don't, particularly if it's proved true.

I remember hearing this one round Sheffield a while back.

The fictional skinhead slashers* of the 1970s were mentioned in the FT letters page a while back. They used to ring your school up before they did everyone, which was very considerate.

*by which I mean that the skinhead slashers were fictional, not that they slashed fictional skinheads.

It sounds like a chelsea smile, which involved having the corner of one's mouth cut with a blade and then being kicked in the groin causing the cheeks to be broadly cut open by the resulting facial contortions. Now I think about that, it doesn't make any sense whatsoever, because your face is more likely to scrunch up, rather than expand when that happens, but it was definitely the kind of thing that happens when I was at school.

I'm guessing there is a broad selection of similar baroque customs (kerb stomping, anyone?) that violent yobs are regularly perpetrating in the minds of school children everywhere.

Yes, definite urban legend...the Chelsea Smilers they were called. When I was at Senior School we were told to look out for a bunch of these guys who would be waiting outside the school gates with razors! Scary stuff at the time though.

There was the same sort of story in the mid 1970's, of a bloke who was supposed to ask people if they knew the way to the local hospital &/or casualty dept.

If they said "no" he was supposed to slash their face & tell them: "Then you'd better find out then...".

If they said "yes", he still slashed their face & told them: "So you know were to go then...".

Seems to be rumour season here in Manchester as this week's
Free Sheet - The Prestwich Advertiser - has a story about a
hoax alert being handed out to parents in Radcliffe.

Allegedly from the Metropolitan Police, it featured that hardy
perennial the LSD Tatoo. Specifically a lick and stick tatoo called
The Blue Star.

Bizarrely, DS Duncan Heywood of the Bury Police is quoted as saying
"I have no doubt that this person had good intention by sending out
these letters . . . we have no evidence of these types of drugs being
sold in the area."

The school in this case was St Mary's RC Primary School, Belgrave
Street, Radcliffe. :rolleyes:

James Whitehead said:
Bizarrely, DS Duncan Heywood of the Bury Police is quoted as saying
"I have no doubt that this person had good intention by sending out
these letters . . . we have no evidence of these types of drugs being
sold in the area."
The police don't know about those drugs being sold in the area? Very suspect. They should at least check their suppliers...

Harry Potter Ecstasy

Story on Ananova from News.com.au that drug dealers are selling tablets with Harry Potter logos. (In Australia BTW)
Smells like an UL, no hard evidence, anyone Know any more about it?

Could be either, there was a scare like this with Simpsons, Ninja Turtles and all the others. Though they did used to put cartoon characters on LSD and Es in the aciiiiiiiid house days, so who knows.

And would this be the Harry Potter lightning flash logo? Cos that's quite an ambiguous and non-specific kinda image that could be used without any neccessary Hogwartsbound intention.

This started with Superman's, acid blotters (sheets of perforated paper soaked in LSD) with the Man of Steel's logo printed on them. About the same time (early '70's), various comics started producing tatoo transfers, which you had to kind of float off of the backing paper to stick to you. The rumour has persisted ever since with each new variety of blotter.

Alright you all knew that but it makes a change from "I think I remember reading somewhere..."

For drug UL's, I thoroughly recommend

http://www.erowid.org/index.shtml

Also just as one of the most fascinating websites I've ever seen...

Yeah, erowid's a fascinating resource, and certainly one of the best drug sites. If you look at the pictures they have on that site, you'll see the 'manufacturers' stamp them with a large variety of logos. I remember at the height of the Spice Girls' popularity there was a news story to the same effect.

Back