• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Exit Earth

skinny

Nigh
The solar system exit. Here's the very first launch of a Saturn 5. Full stages. Got human people to a close planet we call Moon but others have different names for. Where do we go from here? Most posit Mars but I suspect the Pioneers desire Europa.

It really depends on the goal. If you just want to move out, you can establish colonies on the Moon, Mars or Europa. For my money it'll come down to power, that is the generation of power.

Wherever and for whatever reason you pitch permanent base, you'll need electricity and a lot of it - small fission reactors will get things moving. Even if you're going for mineral reserves, you'll need to mine and smelt and that takes a lot of juice. Never mind the amount of power, long term, needed to run a self sustaining colony of say 20 individuals.

Given the current economic imperative to not make thing safe at all costs, we'll lose a good few colonies before 'fail-to-safe' gets through the thick heads of the business's (because it will be business) leading the missions.

By 'leading' I mean "sitting on nice safe earth while some other poor saps take all the risks".

Sadly, I suspect you're right. China has the moolah but none of the moxy. Get set for dread news on this front.

It really depends on the goal. If you just want to move out, you can establish colonies on the Moon, Mars or Europa. For my money it'll come down to power, that is the generation of power.

Wherever and for whatever reason you pitch permanent base, you'll need electricity and a lot of it - small fission reactors will get things moving. Even if you're going for mineral reserves, you'll need to mine and smelt and that takes a lot of juice. Never mind the amount of power, long term, needed to run a self sustaining colony of say 20 individuals.

Given the current economic imperative to not make thing safe at all costs, we'll lose a good few colonies before 'fail-to-safe' gets through the thick heads of the business's (because it will be business) leading the missions.

By 'leading' I mean "sitting on nice safe earth while some other poor saps take all the risks".
It will be some time (a long time) before the US (or anybody else) colonizes any other celestial bodies. Where’s the money coming for all that? I know China’s catching up but I believe they still a ways to go, plus their own internal concerns.

Basically NASA’s goal continues to be to explore and continue to develop technologies, within it’s restricted budget as (compared to say the 60’s and 70’s).

The solar system exit. Here's the very first launch of a Saturn 5.

Excellent! Don't think I've seen all that before.

Talk about the March of Technology! Rocket, control, and media technology have all come a long way since the 60s.

The solar system exit. Here's the very first launch of a Saturn 5. Full stages. Got human people to a close planet we call Moon but others have different names for. Where do we go from here? Most posit Mars but I suspect the Pioneers desire Europa.

Could Europa be terraformed? Would it be possible to settle there prior to that?

I don't know but last night I encountered a guy rocking backwards and forwards shouting: Fuck Europa!

Back