• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Expeditions.

A

Anonymous

Rightio. I'm bored and I feel like going out. Far out. Now, the Mongolia thread went a bit funny, so if that expedition wants to live in here for a while, that's cool, but if anyone else has any ideas then stick them in too.
I'm serious, by the way. I don't have any terribly pressing plans for the next year or so at the moment and I do so dislike sitting around here collecting dust like one of my weird foreign nik-naks...

Antarctica.

I want to see penguins, a different bit of sky and go to that desert which is so cold, it's dry and there is no snow.

Not terribly fortean, though...might be hard to find backing.

How do you know they don't exsist eh? You can't prove it because you've never actually seen one.

Oh, alright then smarty pants. If I wasn't such a lazy cow I'd quite like to climb Everest and look for the Southern Yeti's Eastern cousin.

Had I a starship I'd have both your names high up on my list of crewmembers...

What like John Tracey in Thunderbird 5?

Always in space because Jerry Anderson couldn't stand him?

If you head far enough into the Amazon rainforests you're bound to find something interesting.

Nonny

Well we could start closer to home. How about the Big Grey Man of Ben MacDui?

It's a start. Been up there a couple of times and never spotted him. Might have another shot.
He was joined, briefly, by the Big Grey Wreckage and Big Green Helicopters of Ben MacDui not long ago, too.

A little further from home, but none the worse for that, is Tasmania. Why not join the fray looking for the elusive (and supposedly extinct) thylacine down there?

Another Oz option ... how about obtaining some definite proof (i.e. a living or dead specimen) of the Oz bush panther? This is a mainland project so you won't be distracted by the people with two heads. (OK, a bad local joke at Tassie's expense - think: "Deliverance").

The good thing about these projects is that you can time your trip to escape the northern winter and the beer isn't too bad either. And if you get sick of the bush you can always retreat to the bright lights of Sydney or Melbourne for a bit of clubbing or whatever takes your fancy. Just don't mention the rugby! :D

the Gran Sabana of Venezuela has many fortean mysteries and a different sky to see if you are up for that voyage.

Inverurie Jones said:
Not terribly fortean, though...might be hard to find backing.

Think At the Mountains of Madness.

Actually, this post was just a device to post the phrase 'giant albino penguins' again...

Not very fortean, I suppose, but I always fancied following the old Silk Road route and taking in a side trip to see the mummies of Urumchi.

Carole

You could go to loch Ness (I know) but it would be cheap to get there

I second the Silk Road expedition... would like to see that, and we can stop off to check out the Chinese mummies/pyramids, and probably some of the more obscure creatures of Central Asia.
Or, staying closer to home, a hunt for a thylacine or bush panther sounds interesting...

We have a panther down the bottom of my village if `thats` what you fancy.

(It was seen in the street over from me. Was it John Keel who said that fortean stuff isnt just something that happens in the wilderness, it happens in the place that you live too?)

But Asia sounds good. What part? its so big!!

The more obscure areas of China, perhaps, or a theological tour of Iran (see how long it is before someone attempts to sell you a carpet...) They have Skiing there too. I would like to see the still interesting site of the Tunguska explosion.

Me too for the Silk Road trip. I might get a chance to meet Grand Master Yee (my Sifu's Sifu) if he's still in China.

cujo

Cujo said:
Well we could start closer to home. How about the Big Grey Man of Ben MacDui?

I'm planning a trip up there next spring! A long weekend's camping...See what I can find...

Ive been wanting to take a cryptozoological trip for donkeys years.

And make a film as well - slightly humourous but not a huge piss take.

I tried to muscle in on the guys at extreme expeditions next trip but they didnt seem to want any of that!! :rolleyes:

Mongolia is good. The old death worm or what?

Im well up for it if your serious.
I have about 8.96 at the moment though.

Yes, theres good money in dino eggs Ive heard.

(seen them on sale in a local shop at several hundred pounds each...)

But my cats still on offer, and unlike the mongolian death worm, he dont spit poison.

I've never been on a "serious" cryptozoological expedition, but I would love to spend some time in Papua New Guinea to see if I can't find any evidence of the pterosaurs that are supposed to be flitting about. If you believe the creationists then you can't throw a stone on Umboi Island without hitting a Ropen, Duah, Orang-Bati, or other flying monstrocity! Plus I heard you can trade for women with the natives if you bring a pig or two...

Pah! You dont need a pig for me, just some pork chow mein...

Back