• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Expensive & Exclusive Food

In Japan the ultra-premium mandarin oranges are now coming to auction ...
Crate of oranges sells for $9,600 in Japan

How many mandarin oranges can you buy with one million yen -- or roughly $9,600?
For one fruit-loving buyer at an auction this week in Japan, the answer is just 100.

A single, 20-kilogram crate of 100 Japanese mandarins (also called mikan) hit the auction block on Thursday at Tokyo's central wholesale Ota Market.

It was the year's first auction of satsuma mandarin oranges, a famous citrus species from Ehime prefecture, on the island of Shikoku in southern Japan. ...

FULL STORY: https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/one-million-yen-japan-mandarin-oranges-auction/index.html

I love anything remotely salty so caviar is right up there on my favourite food list. When I was working/living in Samara Russia we had a little grocery store near our site who sold both red and black caviar in the standard sized plastic pots you see taramasalata, hummus, coleslaw sold in here in the U.K.
Black or Red, it was roughly $5 USD a pot. Outside the affordability of most of the locals, but equivalent to a bottle of Bud or Canadian Moose Beer So easily within reach of us expat’s.
I felt like a millionaire eating Caviar on toast for breakfast Back in those days. Moscow airport at that time was selling small tins of the cheapest caviar at about $80 USD a pop.

The first 2021 Japanese premium food auction saw a bluefin tuna (singular) sell for US$202,197.

The punch line? This is a fall from recent price points, indirectly linked to avoiding attracting diners to high-end restaurants while COVID restrictions are in effect.
Tuna goes for $200,000 at Tokyo market's New Year auction

A bluefin tuna sold for 20.8 million yen ($202,197) in the first auction of the new year at Tokyo’s Toyosu fish market on Tuesday when it reopened after the holiday break. ...

This was sharply down from the 193 million yen the highest-selling tuna fetched at last year’s first Toyosu auction.

One major bidder, Kiyomura Corp, said they had refrained from bidding high this year out of fear that a large number of customers would be inspired to flock to their restaurants since high bids for high quality tuna usually attract media attention.

The government has said eating and drinking out is one of the major causes of coronavirus infections. ...

FULL STORY: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...-tokyo-markets-new-year-auction-idUSKBN29A0TO

In case you wondered ... The world's most expensive honey now comes from Turkey.
Cave-harvested Turkish honey dubbed world's most expensive

A Turkish company set a Guinness World Record for the world's most expensive honey with a cave-harvested variety priced at over $5,400 per pound.

Guinness said Centauri Honey, which is harvested from a cave more than 8,000 feet above sea level, is priced at $5,409 per pound, making it the most expensive honey in the world. ...

The honey is dark in color and is said to have a bitter flavor. It is prized for its medicinal value, being high in magnesium, potassium, phenols, flavonoids and antioxidants.

Centauri said the honey can only be harvested once a year, as opposed to two to three times a year for most commercial honeys, to ensure the bees that make the nectar are not disturbed. ...

FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2021/0...ve-honey-Turkey-Centauri-Honey/8331615927546/

Apparently today (13 July) was National French Fry Day here in the USA, and a New York restaurant recognized it by setting the Guinness record for the world's most expensive fries.
New York restaurant's $200 fries certified as the world's most expensive

A New York restaurant broke its tenth Guinness World Record with its latest menu item: a plate of French fries that costs $200.

Guinness announced Serendipity3, a restaurant on the Upper East Side in Manhattan, created the world's most expensive French fries to coincide with Tuesday's National French Fry Day. ...

The dish, titled Creme de la Creme Pommes Frites, features ingredients including Chipperbeck potatoes, Dom Perignon Champagne, J. LeBlanc French Champagne Ardenne Vinegar, cage-free goose fat from France, Guerande Truffle Salt, truffle oil, Crete Senesi Pecorino Tartufello cheese, shaved black summer truffles from Italy, truffle butter, organic A2 A2 100% grass fed cream from Jersey Cows, Gruyere Truffled Swiss Raclette and a topping of 23-karat edible gold dust. ...

The restaurant previously landed Guinness World Records for foods including the world's largest wedding cake and most expensive ice cream sundae.
FULL STORY: https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2021/0...sive-French-fries-Serendipity3/5531626192594/

This sampling of insanely expensive food items is excerpted from a news article in which it was an aside ...
According to Luxury Columnist, Coffin Bay King Oysters retail for about $77, and one pound of a seafood delicacy called gooseneck barnacles will set a person back $125 for only a pound. Then there's The Golden Boy burger, available at a Dutch diner called De Daltons. Per HypeBeast, this take on the traditional hamburger costs nearly 5,000 euros (approx $5,200) and includes ingredients like king crab, white truffle, beluga caviar, and gold-coated hamburger buns infused with luxe Dom Perignon champagne.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddr...r-was-charged-1-820-for-a-footlong/ar-AAZL0H9

They're at it again. The Choco Taco (think ice cream in a "waffle" cone with chocolate on it, but taco shaped) is being discontinued, so...
New York City eatery Serendipity to serve golden Choco Taco, for a limited time and price
Serendipity, best known for their frozen hot chocolates, made their own version of the fan-favorite snack.

A golden Choco Taco. It's topped with edible gold and will cost a cool $100.

The treat will only be available on October 4th to celebrate National Taco Day.
https://abc7ny.com/choco-taco-klondike-ice-cream-serendipity/12097629/

Being not that familiar with eating gold, according to wikipedia the practice goes back thousands of years.

Basically when someone is eating gold is like “ bragging “ in front of people.

Eat gold is saying that I am great and rich and you are not.

Supposedly gold is not absorbed from the G I track so your poop could be valuable ?

Being not that familiar with eating gold, according to wikipedia the practice goes back thousands of years.

Basically when someone is eating gold is like “ bragging “ in front of people.

Eat gold is saying that I am great and rich and you are not.

Supposedly gold is not absorbed from the G I track so your poop could be valuable ?
It has no taste, no nutritional value & passes straight through you. Just adds bling & cost to a meal. Utterly pointless other than as you say, advertising & boasting about your wealth.

It has no taste, no nutritional value & passes straight through you. Just adds bling & cost to a meal. Utterly pointless other than as you say, advertising & boasting about your wealth.
I just think it's a disgraceful idea.

Salt Bae is just a showman. He's no better at being a chef than any other experienced chef.
His prices are just ridiculous and I'm surprised anybody is willing to pay them.

This specimen may be destined to be a contender in the most expensive crab cake category ...
Snow crab auctioned for record $46,000 in Japan

This particular delicacy is poised to become much more expensive. For the first time ever, Alaskan authorities have cancelled the 2022 winter snow crab season in the Bering Sea. Snow crab populations there have catastrophically collapsed over the last 2 years.
Alaska snow crab season canceled after an estimated 1 billion crabs disappear

In a major blow to America’s seafood industry, the Alaska Department of Fish and Game has, for the first time in state history, canceled the winter snow crab season in the Bering Sea due to their falling numbers. While restaurant menus will suffer, scientists worry what the sudden population plunge means for the health of the Arctic ecosystem.

An estimated one billion crabs have mysteriously disappeared in two years, state officials said. It marks a 90% drop in their population. ...

Ben Daly, a researcher with ADF&G, is investigating where the crabs have gone. He monitors the health of the state’s fisheries, which produce 60% of the nation’s seafood.

“Disease is one possibility,” Daly told CBS News.

He also points to climate change. According to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, Alaska is the fastest warming state in the country, and is losing billions of tons of ice each year — critical for crabs that need cold water to survive. ...
SOURCE: https://wtop.com/food-restaurant/20...after-an-estimated-1-billion-crabs-disappear/

4 years ago I was given 125g pack of Beardsville coffee from St Helena Island. My uncle claimed it cost well over £20 quid. We have not dared to open it to drink in case we don't like it., our palates being unused to anything more pricey than £4.50 for 250g

Back