• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Experiences Of Telekinesis

Does anybody have first-hand witness to telekinesis? Or thoughts and opinions on this phenomenon.
Is there a good thread already on this? Please move me in that direction.

I am not surprised that experiences of telekinesis are so rare, unlike say UFO or ghost sightings which have many possible reasons for or against, but one simply cannot be mistaken when this type of phenomenon is witnessed, or maybe you can? Please give your ideas.

I have seen something, that with present explanations, could only be TK or a ghost, although any other thoughts would be welcome.

My father slept in his own room when this happened over twenty years ago. It happened in that room. On the middle of the mantle-piece he had put, propped up by the wall behind, a photograph of my deceased brother who had died suddenly a couple of months previously. It was unframed, so flexible and about 10 inches long and 6 inches wide. A black and white exposure of his face and upper body, close up. A nice picture that had become emotionally valuable to my dad in the wake of a difficult time.
I was attending college away from home at the time but would come home from time to time, and it was on one of these occasions that he beckoned me into his room and told me " look at this " or something similar. What I saw was the photo bending in and out, towards the wall and then outwards by about two inches either way. It was not constant but a juddering movement, sometimes not as much as two inches, but movement nonetheless derived from no obvious source. It went on for about two minutes, if I remember, not long, and lessened in effect. He told me that it had been going on for a week or so and on a few occasions, only when he was watching it, it had moved so much it flew off the mantle-piece and on to the floor. The only other person to see it move was my mother. There was no drafts or heat affecting the photo - that was checked.
When I was watching it I was quietly amazed and he kind of radiant and gratified as if confirmed of the afterlife. At the time, our emotions had been through the wringer so it was in that condition we both perceived the oddness of it - that we had all been on a cavalcade of unusual, but not 'supernatural' as such experiences, caused by a tragic death of a loved one, that this was merely another.
It went on for about two weeks or so and just petered out.

My dad thought it was my brother communicating from beyond, he thoroughly believes in 'it all' and was a Steinerist for a long time in the 70's /80's. I tend to think it was a case of TK; my father's charged emotions, thoughts and brain-waves, perhaps animal electrical -magnetism gone hay-wire but how that works I have no idea hence my question to the forum.
The normal scientific investigations require repeat demonstrations of the phenomena, but in this instance that is impossible now and I tend to think that in general, there will be much exceptionalism in each case that applying the rigours of science would miss the truth, in an area of Forteanism that suggests physical laws are elastic, so to speak.

Saw a GREAT one some years ago. Well, something moved on its own.

We were having house alterations done and our new bathroom suite was in the front room ready to be dragged upstairs and installed.
The builder was fitting hinges to a door which he'd leaned against the wall at a about a 45 degree angle, braced against his foot.

This builder was a bit of a bigot and had begun making racist and homophobic remarks. The house didn't like him and I wasn't keen either.
He was nearly finished though so I was looking forward to paying him off.

So... after the house had showed its disapproval by scaring him a few times, he finished putting the hinges on the door and left it leaning safely, then turned his back on it and said 'Anyway, if one more thing happens to me in this house I'm off and I'm not coming back!'

The door then lifted off the wall and swung outwards, hitting the builder square on the back and knocking him into the new bath, landing on top of him like a lid.

He was terrified and I was helpless with laughter. Thank you, house!

My goodness, sounds like Carry On Haunted House, especially with a homophobic bigot and slapstick action!

Very strong forces at play there. I have noticed from some of your other messages that such things have happened a lot in your life.

Have you any theories specifically about TK? Do you think it is a poltergeist phenomenon, or obscured human forces that some people have

more so accompanying their lives? It doesn't seem from stories that I have heard, that if it is a human-originated force or influence like this,

then prediction and /or control over it can occur.

Depends what you identify as telekinesis. The word conjures up images of deliberately concentrating on a thing with the intention of causing movement...and there are purported lab experiments exploring that. The whole Uri Gellar spoon bending shtick, if real, would be telekinesis too.

But I think "in the wild" the way its usually exhibited as a thing are in circumstances where its hard to differentiate between it being the mind of the individual and the hand of some disembodied something (eg a spirit). I'm thinking specifically of Poltergeist phenomena, aports at seances, and the return of lost objects on request.

I've certainly experienced the latter of those. Was that me?

Watching the movie the Medusa Touch this evening, about a man who causes death and disaster by staring angrily at people who upset him, made me think of the day i was convinced I might have been causing negative events to people around me because of my mood. The Evil Eye in effect.

20 years ago, Melbourne Australia. Visiting a friend and, long story short i didn't feel as welcome there as I expected. So a lot of unable to be expressed anger, disappointment, awkwardness etc on my part when I left the house and headed into the city. In the course of the day i counted maybe half a dozen separate incidents of misfortune hitting the nearest person to me, in each case obliging me to help them. On the tram into the centre as i got off the woman in front of me left her purse.. i had to retrieve it and call after her. I got off the tram and crossing a road the woman passing to my right somehow buckled or collapsed and I had to pick her up. I went into MacDonald's for lunch and witnessed (not realising it till it had happened) the elderly lady to one side of me have her bag stolen..i had to say what had happened. A few minutes before or after this one of the staff dropped a full milk shake all over the floor to my right and had to mop it up. Sitting on a bench at the tram stop back a child climbed up on it next to me...and somehow fell down the back of it and got stuck..i had to lift her out. As i was getting off the tram back near the house, the shopping bag of the only other passenger burst and her apples rolled down the aisle to my feet. I had to pick them up for her.

It all seemed too much of a coincidence. I hadn't been walking round consciously seething, i don't think, but was the unexpressed and unexpressable negativity in my unconscious mind somehow escaping by other means and effecting the world?

My dad thought it was my brother communicating from beyond, he thoroughly believes in 'it all' and was a Steinerist for a long time in the 70's /80's. I tend to think it was a case of TK; my father's charged emotions, thoughts and brain-waves, perhaps animal electrical -magnetism gone hay-wire but how that works I have no idea hence my question to the forum.

I've only just properly read your account.. its probably not had as many replies as it deserves because its in parapsychology rather than the more visited "It Happened To Me" forum.

Although none of us can know what the cause was or how any of these things work in practice even if they are paranormal, my take on it would be to say that I'm not sure that the PK hypothesis is any improvement over the "spirit of your brother" theory. In either case it implies the mind of an individual was effecting material objects. Materialist/sceptical science gives no more credence to PK than it does to survival. In effect they both require the same "unacceptable" precondition..that the human mind is not confined to the physical brain. If you accept that to be true then the principle reductionist objection to survival goes out the window...a mind not confined tothe brain cannot be assumed to die with the brain. So if the mind can escape the brain, and it can effect the material world, why not the mind of your brother rather than your father? And instinctively i would imagine the completely unconfined psyche of the deceased would be more likely/able to exhibit such influences on a photograph than the mind of the still living.

It's not to say that it was your brother. Just that it may "feel" more logical or scientific to appeal to telekinesis by the living, but there's no real reason that it should be so.

Depends what you identify as telekinesis. The word conjures up images of deliberately concentrating on a thing with the intention of causing movement...and there are purported lab experiments exploring that. The whole Uri Gellar spoon bending shtick, if real, would be telekinesis too.

But I think "in the wild" the way its usually exhibited as a thing are in circumstances where its hard to differentiate between it being the mind of the individual and the hand of some disembodied something (eg a spirit). I'm thinking specifically of Poltergeist phenomena, aports at seances, and the return of lost objects on request.

I've certainly experienced the latter of those. Was that me?

Watching the movie the Medusa Touch this evening, about a man who causes death and disaster by staring angrily at people who upset him, made me think of the day i was convinced I might have been causing negative events to people around me because of my mood. The Evil Eye in effect.

20 years ago, Melbourne Australia. Visiting a friend and, long story short i didn't feel as welcome there as I expected. So a lot of unable to be expressed anger, disappointment, awkwardness etc on my part when I left the house and headed into the city. In the course of the day i counted maybe half a dozen separate incidents of misfortune hitting the nearest person to me, in each case obliging me to help them. On the tram into the centre as i got off the woman in front of me left her purse.. i had to retrieve it and call after her. I got off the tram and crossing a road the woman passing to my right somehow buckled or collapsed and I had to pick her up. I went into MacDonald's for lunch and witnessed (not realising it till it had happened) the elderly lady to one side of me have her bag stolen..i had to say what had happened. A few minutes before or after this one of the staff dropped a full milk shake all over the floor to my right and had to mop it up. Sitting on a bench at the tram stop back a child climbed up on it next to me...and somehow fell down the back of it and got stuck..i had to lift her out. As i was getting off the tram back near the house, the shopping bag of the only other passenger burst and her apples rolled down the aisle to my feet. I had to pick them up for her.

It all seemed too much of a coincidence. I hadn't been walking round consciously seething, i don't think, but was the unexpressed and unexpressable negativity in my unconscious mind somehow escaping by other means and effecting the world?

Years ago I was arguing with my then-teenage son along the length of the hall of our house. He was beside the front door and there was a picture on the wall level with his face. We were really shouting when suddenly the picture shot off the wall and landed at Son's feet.

He stared in surprise and I bellowed 'LOOK WHAT YOU'VE MADE ME DO NOW!'

We immediately calmed down and decided to sort out our differences over a nice cup of tea and never spoke of it again.
I actually reckon he made the picture jump off the wall.

We were really shouting when suddenly the picture shot off the wall and landed at Son's feet.
That presents an interesting aside...why do the apparent displays of this always seem to be triggered by negative emotions and provoke negative or destructive consequences. What - taking pk for granted - chose the photo as its target? Or was it just some negative "energy" hitting the closest object, as it appears to be the case in my examples. But in my case - if it is the same thing - the negativity didn't take the form generally of object movement but of "bad luck". Are we to then imagine that luck is also an actual "thing" to be effected and shaped?

The biggest question is...can positive bursts be given off by joyous thoughts and feelings?Do people ever report being the opposite of a jinx and causing unexpected luck and good fortune to the people they pass?

I've only just properly read your account.. its probably not had as many replies as it deserves because its in parapsychology rather than the more visited "It Happened To Me" forum.

Although none of us can know what the cause was or how any of these things work in practice even if they are paranormal, my take on it would be to say that I'm not sure that the PK hypothesis is any improvement over the "spirit of your brother" theory. In either case it implies the mind of an individual was effecting material objects. Materialist/sceptical science gives no more credence to PK than it does to survival. In effect they both require the same "unacceptable" precondition..that the human mind is not confined to the physical brain. If you accept that to be true then the principle reductionist objection to survival goes out the window...a mind not confined tothe brain cannot be assumed to die with the brain. So if the mind can escape the brain, and it can effect the material world, why not the mind of your brother rather than your father? And instinctively i would imagine the completely unconfined psyche of the deceased would be more likely/able to exhibit such influences on a photograph than the mind of the still living.

It's not to say that it was your brother. Just that it may "feel" more logical or scientific to appeal to telekinesis by the living, but there's no real reason that it should be so.

What an excellent summation. You have described what I felt, but could not be so succinct. I cannot add to that. Thanks very much.

I wonder if your Australian experiences suggest, but not exactly, the idea that if you consciously plant the seed in your unconscious then more effects occur?
It has given me an instinct to try and let the idea grow and see if anything happens - see if one can develop that weird muscle, so to speak. The idea being to encourage coincidences, anomalies etc, to try to tune in more intently and see if I notice oddities. Thanks for your replies.

This is absolutely fascinating - I'm puzzled that I've not ever heard of this specific girl's strange (and semi-documented) powers before:

The Mysterious Case Of Angelique Cottin

This is absolutely fascinating - I'm puzzled that I've not ever heard of this specific girl's strange (and semi-documented) powers before:
The Mysterious Case Of Angelique Cottin
Ah yes - the famed "Electrical Girl" ...

The video is somewhat misleading in its treatment of the events involving the Académie des Sciences during Ms. Cottin's visit to Paris.

Ms. Cottin's remarkable abilities were not observed by Académie members at all. Instead, the secretary Arago read written accounts of her remarkable abilities written by reputable men from her village / area. The academics were sufficiently interested to appoint a committee to examine and test Ms. Cottin the following day. The next day Ms. Cottin was unable to demonstrate any of the abilities attested in the documents, and the Académie members summarily closed the case.

This March 1875 Popular Science article provides a detailed report on the case:

https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Popular_Science_Monthly/Volume_6/March_1875/The_Electrical_Girl

This left the case in limbo, with two opposing explanations. The first was that the original incidents were hoaxes. The second was that whatever powers Cottin possessed had faded after a few weeks of dramatic effect.

Some accounts claim she continued to demonstrate her powers around Paris after the Académie rejection. This allegation has been cited as evidence it was all a hoax.

However, Cottin exhibited specific observable symptoms (e.g., warmth on her left side) associated with the original incidents. I haven't seen any account that claims she was ever tested for these symptoms after the Académie visit (so as to lend credence to the notion the powers had simply faded).

Back