Explain Your Avatar Here

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
My avatar shows a young film director Sam Raimi break dancing/pratting around about the same time he made The Evil Dead ... because I'm a huge Evil Dead fan and I used to break dance around that same time .. although not very well ..

edit: friendly mod time

sherbetbizarre

Special Branch
Mine's from a South Korean movie (I forget the name) of about 10 years ago. A romantic drama where the girl makes a crop circle out of lightbulbs to impress her boyfriend (as this was a South Korean movie, he was probably dying or something :) )

Last edited:

Moooksta

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
I'm going to let it stay, we have a thread discussing avatars and signatures but those are website issues rather than a discussion on their significance.

Krepostnoi

Viva la Quinta Brigada
In that case, I am delighted to introduce Maj.-Gen. Sir Henry Creswicke Rawlinson, 1st Baronet GCB (5 April 1810 – 5 March 1895). Wikipedia describes him as "a British East India Company army officer, politician and Orientalist, sometimes described as the Father of Assyriology. Rawlinson was one of the most important figures arguing that Britain must check Russian ambitions in South Asia. He was a strong advocate of the forward policy in Afghanistan, and counselled the retention of Kandahar. He argued that Tsarist Russia would attack and absorb Khokand, Bokhara and Khiva (which they did) and warned they would invade Persia (present-day Iran) and Afghanistan as springboards to British India."

So why did I choose him, apart from him being a fellow linguist? Because he died precisely one century earlier than the sorely-missed Viv Stanshall (21 March 1943 – 5 March 1995), one of whose best-known creations was, of course, Sir Henry Rawlinson. One hundred years to the day...

PeteByrdie

Privateer in the service of Princess Frideswide
My avatar is Pete Byrdie, which is just something I drew because I liked the idea of drawing a pirate albatross. In fact, his name was going to be 'Albert Ross', but a quick Googling indicated that, unsurprisingly, that had already been done. A few times. So he ended up being Captain Peter Thomas Byrdie. He's a pirate because pirates are the chosen people of His Noodliness The Flying Spaghetti Monster. He's become my online persona because you can be more open about things online if you are not using your real name, and since I had the picture I thought I may as well use it for summat. I used to go by my real name online, but always felt myself holding back talking about certain things because they were so readily traceable to me and people I know, so, oddly, I find myself more able to be myself when I'm not being myself. :)

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Mine's a snap of my own face taken with my iPad a couple of years ago. Used have the bellydancing snail which I lost, although I eventually remembered that I used elsewhere and could have retrieved it, durr!

Someone kindly found the dancing snail for me but in the meantime I'd decided to attempt a more dignified image. It looks super, doesn't it? Serious. :cool:

(Stop laughing at the back!)

Not sure if folks'll recognise me without the snail though so I may revive it as a signature.

jacolantern

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
A tree standing dead and alone, blasted by lightening, in a field. We were cutting up some of his fallen compadres that day.

Shady

Mary Queen of Scots...temping as DEATHS Kitty
Mine is Simon's Cat, cause he is great
Anyone with a cat can identify with some of the stuff he does :D

Peripart

Antediluvian
It's a close-up of a door I spotted in Oxford. I thought it would make a nice photo anyhow, but as it appears to be a Green Man, I felt it appropriate here. I used to have the cover to Roger Taylor's album "Fun In Space" as my avatar, but I reckon it's better to have something that's at least partly my own work.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Mine's a snap of my own face taken with my iPad a couple of years ago. Used have the bellydancing snail which I lost, although I eventually remembered that I used elsewhere and could have retrieved it, durr!

Someone kindly found the dancing snail for me but in the meantime I'd decided to attempt a more dignified image. It looks super, doesn't it? Serious. :cool:

(Stop laughing at the back!)

Not sure if folks'll recognise me without the snail though so I may revive it as a signature.
Who are you?
There used to be a belly-dancing snail on here with the same name.
;)

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
It's a close-up of a door I spotted in Oxford. I thought it would make a nice photo anyhow, but as it appears to be a Green Man, I felt it appropriate here. I used to have the cover to Roger Taylor's album "Fun In Space" as my avatar, but I reckon it's better to have something that's at least partly my own work.
I liked that alien pic!

skinny

Class of 1984
It's a great image.... Peripart's new Green Man, I mean.

Wow the posts come thick and fast on a Friday.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Thinking of changing to this at the next solstice. Any thoughts?
The difficult part is choosing an image which is distinguishable and complete when scaled down into a small square version. Crop and / or copy your image into a square layout, then scale the squared version down to about 100 X 100 pixels. That's how it would appear if it were made your avatar.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
(I know I've explained my avatar before, but the post / thread appears to have gone MIA ... )

I use the same avatar I'd previously used on certain other forums.

The laughing skull is a graphic taken from an 1890's-era John Deere newsletter ad or cartoon, stripped of its caption and colorized. The original caption was, "We laugh at competition!"

skinny

Class of 1984
Sure I can play with the edges. But I like the cheeky fucker look of the kid. What a fucken gurrier!

Ringo

Of no preferred gender pronoun.
Mine is obviously Steve Martin playing Ruprecht in Dirty Rotten Scoundrels and a while back someone said that I reminded them of that character.o_O So I changed my avatar accordingly.

I used to be Roger Mellie and for a brief period I was the Prince Regent from Balckadder III but for now, I'm Ruprecht. May I go to the bathroom first?

skinny

Class of 1984
Love your av, Ringo. One of the funniest things I've ever seen in film there.