Explain Your Avatar Here

PeteByrdie

Privateer in the service of Princess Frideswide
My avatar is a colorized version of one of Elizabeth Klarer's Drakensberg UFO photos from 1956. Elizabeth was a little nutty but the photo always intrigued me.
I don't really believe in the 'flying disc' style UFO. As has been pointed out, it seems to stem from a misunderstanding of Kenneth Arnold's description of his sighting. But if the popularity of the flying saucer in popular culture is down to anything, it's what a striking image it creates. Good choice, @SkepticalX

As a 14-year-old, a friend and I observed a silver disk flying in and out the clouds (had it in sight for 20-30 seconds). The object had all the hallmarks of a classic flying saucer - it looked like a coin and appeared to be metallic with sun glinting off its surface. Frankly, I don't know if our observations were influenced by cultural archetypes or not. My biggest problem is that, fifty years after the fact, I've come to second-guess my own recollections. I don't know how we could have misidentified a conventional object that was so plainly in our field of vision - but I suppose anything is possible.