Explain Your Avatar Here

Graylien

As if!
Reaction score
It's a grey alien as I used to have a huge interest in all things alien/UFO when I originally joined the forums. I don't really care a monkey's about them anymore, but I'm used to being an alien now.

stu neville

Commissioner.
Staff member
Reaction score
I chose that avatar because I like anime and manga. I've been into anime & manga since the 1990s when I was in my mid teens.
So you like Anime and Manga? You should have said.

Anyhoo - mine is Snidey Whiplash from Dudley Do-Right. At the time when he was adopted, c, 2006, I was being accused of all manner of pantomime villainy, including moustache-twirling bastardry, so it's kind of stuck. However prior to that..
In that case, I am delighted to introduce Maj.-Gen. Sir Henry Creswicke Rawlinson, 1st Baronet GCB (5 April 1810 – 5 March 1895). Wikipedia describes him as "a British East India Company army officer, politician and Orientalist, sometimes described as the Father of Assyriology. Rawlinson was one of the most important figures arguing that Britain must check Russian ambitions in South Asia. He was a strong advocate of the forward policy in Afghanistan, and counselled the retention of Kandahar. He argued that Tsarist Russia would attack and absorb Khokand, Bokhara and Khiva (which they did) and warned they would invade Persia (present-day Iran) and Afghanistan as springboards to British India."

So why did I choose him, apart from him being a fellow linguist? Because he died precisely one century earlier than the sorely-missed Viv Stanshall (21 March 1943 – 5 March 1995), one of whose best-known creations was, of course, Sir Henry Rawlinson. One hundred years to the day...
Prior to Snidey, mine was Trevor Howard in full Sir Henry Rawlinson "wets". Further, Viv Stanshall was my indirect boss for a while. The Rawlinson/ Stanshall connections have never been lost on me. Sir - your taste is saluted.

Graylien

As if!
Reaction score
I used to have a quote from Rawlinson as my signature before I turned it into a plug for my Gef site: "Do you know what a palmist once said to me? She said, WILL YOU LET GO!" Not sure if that made it to the film, but one of my favourite lines from the album.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
I've been thinking that I don't really like this one too much - the photo, not Wingate. It's too dark against the blue and white backgrounds.

Ought I return to Jack Hawkins or find a good one of John Le Mesurier?

MercuryCrest

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Fascinating stories, all of you.

Mine is a Stephen Gammell illustration for the series "Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark". They royally buggered the books recently by releasing the newest editions with totally different artwork. The original images are enough to haunt your dreams well into adulthood.

I picked this one because I've seen a few disturbing avatars on here and I wanted to join the secret club.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Prior to Snidey, mine was Trevor Howard in full Sir Henry Rawlinson "wets". Further, Viv Stanshall was my indirect boss for a while. The Rawlinson/ Stanshall connections have never been lost on me. Sir - your taste is saluted.
You wouldn't happen to have seen a wrinkled retainer while working for ol' Viv, would you? ;)

rynner2

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
G

GeorgeP

Mine is a Stephen Gammell illustration for the series "Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark". They royally buggered the books recently by releasing the newest editions with totally different artwork. The original images are enough to haunt your dreams well into adulthood.

I picked this one because I've seen a few disturbing avatars on here and I wanted to join the secret club.
I love those illustrations :cool:

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
Reaction score
The One Winged Bird motif comes from the anime Umineko no naku koru ni or literally When the Seagulls Cry.

It appealed to me because it's an impossible thing, also because the plot of the anime is completely bonkers with layers of unreliable narration that can interfere with each other and an unrelentingly bleak quality to it where characters who have no more existence than pieces on a game board can flit between life and death.

Also the song of the same name that was written for the anime, which is gorgeous:

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
Reaction score
Anyhoo - mine is Snidey Whiplash from Dudley Do-Right. At the time when he was adopted, c, 2006, I was being accused of all manner of pantomime villainy, including moustache-twirling bastardry, so it's kind of stuck.
I'll confess I'd mistaken him for Dick Dastardly. :oops:

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Mine is Eric the Cavalier, the cowardly loudmouth from the 80s Dungeons & Dragons cartoon.

Graylien

As if!
Reaction score
You can't go wrong with Jack Hawkins. Was it from League of Gentlemen? I love that film! Your present avatar reminds me of a hipster barber, I'm afraid.

marion

Ungnoing.
Reaction score
Mine is currently a part of a painting I did a few years back. It may change.

Krepostnoi

Almost uniquely humourless
Reaction score
Further, Viv Stanshall was my indirect boss for a while.
Now there's a big part of me that is prepared to be really rather jealous of that fact, but also a little voice that says he must have been a nightmare to have as a boss. Please tell that voice it's wrong :confused:

I'll confess I'd mistaken him for Dick Dastardly. :oops:
Um, ditto.

Krepostnoi

Reaction score
I used to have a quote from Rawlinson as my signature before I turned it into a plug for my Gef site: "Do you know what a palmist once said to me? She said, WILL YOU LET GO!" Not sure if that made it to the film, but one of my favourite lines from the album.
Hah, I applaud that choice, that was my first signature on here :D The Russian text under Sir Henry there is a calque translation of "English as tuppence".

Krepostnoi

Reaction score

I like it, but this is the first I hear about Stephen Gammell. I thought it might have been by Mervyn Peake - there are worse artists to be mistaken for.

stu neville

Commissioner.
Staff member
Reaction score
I always think of you as a yeti thing. Or was that someone else?
IIRC a long time ago Yith was an orangutan. Someone was a yeti but can't think who atm.

Orde Wingate - what a bloke. Visionary, tactical genius, outright lunatic. Had an alarm clock strapped to his wrist. They don't make 'em like that any more. Weren't you Denholm Elliott for a while too, Yith?
Now there's a big part of me that is prepared to be really rather jealous of that fact, but also a little voice that says he must have been a nightmare to have as a boss. Please tell that voice it's wrong :confused:
I actually met him about three or four times if that. I used to work on the door at The Thekla, aka The Old Profanity Showboat, an old trawler - and then home of Viv's Stinkfoot company - which remains a nightclub and general venue to this day in Bristol. Viv owned it outright, and would very occasionally come aboard, with surprising guests (notably Sylvester McCoy, at that time still Dr Who, Neil Innes of course, and David Rappaport, who wore a big hat and dark glasses so he wouldn't get recognised.) I was a big fan of the Bonzos generally, but actually didn't know it was his gaff until I got the job.

To me and the other staff he was a thoroughly nice chap, always said hello etc, but very, very vague, probably because he was rather pissed most of the time. By about midnight we were usually asked to discreetly hail a cab, as Viv would be either rather unwell or asleep, or both. He would tip very generously. According to our manager though, in the morning, hungover and less than reasonable, he could be a bit of a bugger, but then can't we all?

stu neville

Commissioner.
Staff member
Reaction score
No, not nearly angular and pained enough to be Lawrence. He had an earnestness that hipsters can only aspire towards.

Vardoger

YOLO
Reaction score
I change mine's once in a while.

The one I am using right now is a logo KLF used on one of their albums in the late 80s(What The Fuck Is Going On).
They went by the name The JAMs then.

Been a fan of KLF since 1989.

Attachments

G

GeorgeP

I change mine's once in a while.

The one I am using right now is a logo KLF used on one of their albums in the late 80s(What The Fuck Is Going On).
They went by the name The JAMs then.

Been a fan of KLF since 1989.
KLF made some cracking tunes :cool:

G

GeorgeP

Mine is Eric the Cavalier, the cowardly loudmouth from the 80s Dungeons & Dragons cartoon.
Did that gang make it home? Or were they penned in to go home but the series was never made?

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Reaction score
No, not nearly angular and pained enough to be Lawrence.
This is true. :oops:

I was trying to find a half remembered short story (about a semi-haunted bed room and the ghost of the blossom on the tree?) and I think I did the selective perception trick. Very appropriate that it isn't him and I haven't fund the story either!:p

Edite to add: at least I thought it was DH and not TE!

dejanmikic

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
I hope mine is obvious.... It's so brilliant that I named my boy Ian... no, really

I also hope you all know where the signature came from... if not, I will be very very sad

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
I was Fungus and Brian Blessed, briefly.
I think I was an Orangutan in 2002!

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
I've been thinking that I don't really like this one too much - the photo, not Wingate. It's too dark against the blue and white backgrounds.

Get a better one of Wingate!

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Mine is a Combat Dog, can't remember where I git it. In the past I had General Carton de Wiart, a great eccentric & warrior; Blair Mayne (Colonel Paddy), a great warrior, founder member of SAS; Thor; EFF symbol.