Explain Your Avatar Here

Cultjunky

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Y'no, I never even bothered to look for a replacement, lol. But a GIANT (compared to my original) devil duck is tempting. Cheers for the link Ermintrude

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Mine is a Combat Dog, can't remember where I git it. In the past I had General Carton de Wiart, a great eccentric & warrior; Blair Mayne (Colonel Paddy), a great warrior, founder member of SAS; Thor; EFF symbol.
I really like that dog pic of yours. It suggests you're on the alert, etc.
It looks like one of those pictures included on old-fashioned cigarette cards.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I actually met him about three or four times if that. I used to work on the door at The Thekla, aka The Old Profanity Showboat, an old trawler - and then home of Viv's Stinkfoot company - which remains a nightclub and general venue to this day in Bristol. Viv owned it outright, and would very occasionally come aboard, with surprising guests (notably Sylvester McCoy, at that time still Dr Who, Neil Innes of course, and David Rappaport, who wore a big hat and dark glasses so he wouldn't get recognised.) I was a big fan of the Bonzos generally, but actually didn't know it was his gaff until I got the job.

To me and the other staff he was a thoroughly nice chap, always said hello etc, but very, very vague, probably because he was rather pissed most of the time. By about midnight we were usually asked to discreetly hail a cab, as Viv would be either rather unwell or asleep, or both. He would tip very generously. According to our manager though, in the morning, hungover and less than reasonable, he could be a bit of a bugger, but then can't we all?
Off-topic I know, but...
At one time, back in the 70s, Viv Stanshall had a houseboat moored on the Thames in Windsor. A mate of mine got to know him and had guitar lessons from him.

Ulalume

tart of darkness
I'm going to let it stay, we have a thread discussing avatars and signatures but those are website issues rather than a discussion on their significance.
Thanks for your attention to the matter, Mooksta. It's much appreciated. :)

Wow, I thought this thread would be gone when I came on tonight, but instead it's moved on quite speedily. :eek:
I'm glad to find out about those historical-type avatars that I wasn't clever enough to know and too lazy to plug into tineye.

Cultjunky, I own a very tiny, wee version of your devil-duck, but it's green.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Mine's a snap of my own face taken with my iPad a couple of years ago. Used have the bellydancing snail which I lost, although I eventually remembered that I used elsewhere and could have retrieved it, durr!

Someone kindly found the dancing snail for me but in the meantime I'd decided to attempt a more dignified image. It looks super, doesn't it? Serious. :cool:

(Stop laughing at the back!)

Not sure if folks'll recognise me without the snail though so I may revive it as a signature.
Yay! .. revive the snail .. because your current avatar, not meaning to be rude, looks like you've got a big red pimple on your head when you're online .. I miss that snail with the pink heart thingy avatar ..:)

Peripart

Antediluvian
Yay! .. revive the snail .. because your current avatar, not meaning to be rude, looks like you've got a big red pimple on your head when you're online .. I miss that snail with the pink heart thingy avatar ..:)
Some of us found the "heart" (yeah, right) quite disturbing...

Ulalume

tart of darkness
Tried to revive the old dancing snail but it seems to have failed miserably.
Scargy, I have a copy I made from your old avatar, and it does work as a gif, I know because my youngest loves to watch it belly dance. :D Perhaps I can upload it to photobucket and send you a link? Can we link to avatars on this new system rather than upload? I haven't checked...

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Did that gang make it home? Or were they penned in to go home but the series was never made?
A script was written for the final episode, but never made. In it they got back home, then opted to return to the realm of D&D because only they could stop Venger from overrunning the place. Bit of a cheat, really. The actual last episode is one of the best, but open ended in case another season was ordered. It wasn't.

I considered Ulysses from Ulysses 31 as an avatar, but decided I wasn't heroic enough, so Eric it is.

skinny

Class of 1984
John Le Mesurier?
This.

Tried to load an animated one last week - unfortunately, it doesn't work. I don't suppose there's any way the boardlords could activate the avatar options to allow this?

G

GeorgeP

A script was written for the final episode, but never made. In it they got back home, then opted to return to the realm of D&D because only they could stop Venger from overrunning the place. Bit of a cheat, really. The actual last episode is one of the best, but open ended in case another season was ordered. It wasn't.

I considered Ulysses from Ulysses 31 as an avatar, but decided I wasn't heroic enough, so Eric it is.
Now Ulysses 31, that was cool! :cool:I loved the stories, starwars like tech and those trident ships. Super Cool!

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Your artwork is beautiful, Marion. :)
Marion is very talented. We have two of her paintings which I gave to Techy as gifts.

The first one, I had it at home ready for his birthday. It's a mystical view of hares dancing in the sky...

When we were out one day he saw a more conventional painting of some hares and said 'Isn't that lovely, I'd buy one like that!'
So I gave him his gift when we got home, and he thought there was some sort of Derren Brown-type scam going on! :D

G

GeorgeP

I've tried and tried to upload the dancing snail. All I get is an unflattering close-up.

C'mon you technical people, sort me out here! :(
They dont work Im afraid as Ive tried a few animated images myself. The only way I know of to see them dancing is look at you profile page - it should be animated there.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
It has often been said by friends that Margot is my alter ego.
... but did you try to get off with Tom when Barbara was trying to get off with Jerry huh?

What about this one Esgargot ? . it's a snail, it's glamorous and it's shmexiful ..

boa-snail-a.gif

boa-snail-a.gif