Explain Your Wristwatch

dreeness .

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
(This is a thread to explain andor describe your current wristwatch.)

My watch is not one of these: https://torgoen.com/
or one of these: http://swissmilitary.ch/
or even one of these: https://www.breitling.com/en/

No, my watch is almost exactly like this:
https://www.terapeak.com/worth/vintage-timex-expedition-indiglo-wr-30m-watch-1025-cell/221999047652/

I bought it at a little shop located about a mile North of here along the train tracks. (A shop called "Variety + Live Bait".)
I paid $7 for it, a long time ago. It keeps perfect time, anyway. Yay.

Many times, I have resolved to buy a decent watch. But each time, a small inner voice says "Don't you dare buy that watch! You'll wreck it for sure! Inside of a week you'll wreck it! You'll never wear it! You'll be too afraid of wrecking it to even touch it! You always wreck anything expensive, you clumsy oaf! You hamfisted klutz!"

:dcloud:

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
Many times, I have resolved to buy a decent watch. But each time, a small inner voice says "Don't you dare buy that watch! You'll wreck it for sure! Inside of a week you'll wreck it! You'll never wear it! You'll be too afraid of wrecking it to even touch it! You always wreck anything expensive, you clumsy oaf! You hamfisted klutz!"

:dcloud:

That's the same reason I only wear one of these, my first casio for about 30 years so I had to remember how to programme it. I'm fond of it and it's comfortable to wear:
casio.jpg

It'd been in the lost property box at the Mrs workplace for longer than 6 months so she asked her boss if she could have it, he said yes so she gave it to me .. in a world full of polyphonic ring tones going off every where these days, it's surprised some of the youngsters when the alarm goes off. I've got a couple of posh watches as well, one with a titanium strap that I would need to send off to Japan for a replacement part on the strap, English jewellers just don't seem able to work on titanium straps for some reason.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
Over the decades I found I had the worst luck with the 'best' (most expensive; fanciest; most feature-laden) wristwatches. Circa 30 years ago I switched to watches with the following specs:

- Simple / cheap (but not junk)
- Analog display (with hands; no digital readouts)
- Black body / black face
- Decently water resistant
- Low profile (not a lot of thickness / weight; no major extensions or protuberances)
- Simple nylon strap with velcro closure (even if I have to transplant it onto a new watch)

My original standard watch was a Timex - the black faced version of the one you cited.

Circa 15 - 20 years ago I shifted to the Casio 'Forester' model (same thing).

https://www.terapeak.com/worth/casio-men-s-ft500wvb-1bv-black-casio/222029778449/

If I recall correctly, I changed to Casio because the Timex finally failed (the only failure since I standardized), I couldn't find a Timex replacement meeting the specs, and I had come to believe that Timex quality was in decline.

I prefer the rounded contours of the Casio (it doesn't snag or scrape, etc.).

SIDE NOTE: Over the last 20 or so years two of my long time close friends abandoned their much fancier watches and bought my model after theirs failed (or sufficiently frustrated them). One of them - my late best friend - wore and extolled his Casio for years until his death. At last notice the other one was still wearing his ...

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
Not had a watch since childhood.

It's no phobia, but I prefer to be unencumbered--the only thing I wear on my body are clothes, even sunglasses irk me when I need to wear them.

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Reaction score
When I was a lad in Dundee there was a Timex factory in town which meant that almost everybody in town had a Timex watch that had been "acquired" by a friend or relative. And they were crap, never lasted very long.
That led to one of my favourite insults aimed at my mate Dave who was talking about his employment record (or rather lack of one). "I've had Timex watches that have worked longer than you have!"

My longest serving watch has been a Citizen solar powered watch that's been on the go for about 9 years now.

When I retired I treated myself to a Samsung smart watch thingy which is quite handy - I like being able to choose different displays, the timer is useful when I'm cooking (I used to rely on the smoke alarm) and a step counter shows how active I'm being. On the negative side, the battery life isn't overly impressive.

David Plankton

I AM HIM.
Reaction score

It's no phobia, but I prefer to be unencumbered--the only thing I wear on my body are clothes, even sunglasses irk me when I need to wear them.

Same here. I do like looking at nice watches mind you.

When I was younger I would adorn myself with all sorts of jewellery and piercings. It just became annoying for me sometime in my twenties. The last watch I used to wear was one of these that I bought in the early days of the internet from a guy in America. We had some builders in once and I found it encrusted in plaster, it still worked but I couldn't clean it so chucked it.

502-2391-thickbox.jpg

RaM

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Tick a Tick Timex tra la larr.
Was that the timex christmas add?
Got a Casio wave ceptor got it cheap had it for years but a button or two play up now n then.

Shady

DEATHS Kitty
Reaction score
Had a black watch and strap and in the centre was a hologram of the Hammer and Sickle, i loved it, cant find another like it or I would snap it up, not sure if it was a Soviet, I have at the moment a Storm watch and a Fossil one, also a cheap one with a dinosaur in the centre
https://www.geeky-gadgets.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/storm_navigator_watch_1.jpg

I have had watches in the shape of a pyramid and my first watch was a Timex, deep blue one and one of the old ones that light up red when you press the button, loved that one
I have been eyeing up the storm watches at the moment

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Reaction score
Tick a Tick Timex tra la larr.
Was that the timex christmas add?

Got a Casio wave ceptor got it cheap had it for years but a button or two play up now n then.

When I was at school, we had a teacher called Mr Jolly (the most inappropriate name ever). His catchphrase was "Take a telling!" which he would scream constantly.
Ans so every Christmas the school resounded to our very own Christmas Carol
"Now's the season to be Jolly
Take a, take a telling tra la la."

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
Casio Pro Trek PRG-40B-2V:

PRG-40-3V_7m.jpg

Explain it? Bombproof, waterproof, accurate, a couple of whizzy features which I use e.g. a compass, cheap (I bought it second-hand via an outdoorsy forum).

maximus otter

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Mine's an Alice Cooper watch.

(When I was a young teenager, if you weren't wearing a watch you were actually wearing an Alice Cooper watch as Alice Cooper never wore one.)

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
There were a couple of periods back in the 1970's and 1980's when I went watch-less, even though timekeeping was much more critical for me then than it is now.

Still, if there wasn't a watch on my wrist I would still be carrying one of these just in case ...

ab21b48d5c51e46cf8c86fd5130ba0c6.jpg

:evillaugh:

RaM

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
About 40 years back I used to fly in light aircraft quite a bit, anyway one day my mate
rings "are we going flying at weekend?" no I could not go anyway on the Sat it was
not that good, then on the car radio come news the a blue and white aircraft had
crashed in the area I had a sinking feeling but put it behind me as I did not think they
would fly in that weather, but early next morning I was knocked up with the bad news
it was them and all had been lost. the aircraft just a total ball of scrap.
I visited my mates mother from time to time and one day about 5 or 6 years after
the accident she showed me a box and in it was his watch, strap had gone, it was a
really flashy thing one of the first very expensive led types and this one was supposed
never to need a new battery, it had been through a air crash and looked it but when
I pressed the button it lit up and showed right time.

RaM

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
There were a couple of periods back in the 1970's and 1980's when I went watch-less, even though timekeeping was much more critical for me then than it is now.

Still, if there wasn't a watch on my wrist I would still be carrying one of these just in case ...

View attachment 7041

:evillaugh:
Love it

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
This is the watch I wear most. I have a sort-of posh Mondaine - classic, simple Swiss lines - but mainly wear my cheap Lorus. I wear it at football, cycling, pretty much all the time, and if I lost or broke it I'd get a replacement without it costing me a fortune. I've got quite smallish wrists and those oh-so-fashionable watches with big faces just don't suit me. And I really hate ostentatious bling-y watches, hence the Lorus.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I wear a watch with a HUGE face for work as I need to keep time well and am always looking at it.

T'other week someone said 'Are you sure that's a big enough watch?' and I said 'Well I used to wear Big Ben but it's being fixed and now they're telling me it'll cost twice as much!'

That shut them up! Sometimes I scare myself.

RaM

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Many moons ago I had this fake Omega it looked the D's B's I went to a customs
and excise exhibition they showed us all sorts of things but the first watch they pulled
out was one just like mine, on the way out the person with me said "I Saw you pull
your sleeve down when he brought that watch out".
A few weeks later one of the wife's brothers ended up very poorly in hospital,
having to be resuscitated several times lucky to survive but during his time in
hospital we visited a few times and he was constantly asking the time every
2 or 3 min he could see the clock but could not make sense of it and every time
I looked at the fake watch he said how he liked it, so I said the day you get out of this
place you can have the watch, it was several months but he got his watch.
He has never fully recovered but a year or two back was awarded the MBE for his
charity work, wounder if he still has the watch.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
This is the watch I've been using for several years now (Casio 3091). I've replaced the strap 3 times so far.
It was a cheap watch with nice looks and a 10 year battery life. Keeps time well.

w-211-1a.jpg

Dinobot

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
That's the same reason I only wear one of these, my first casio for about 30 years so I had to remember how to programme it. I'm fond of it and it's comfortable to wear:
View attachment 7033
It'd been in the lost property box at the Mrs workplace for longer than 6 months so she asked her boss if she could have it, he said yes so she gave it to me .. in a world full of polyphonic ring tones going off every where these days, it's surprised some of the youngsters when the alarm goes off. I've got a couple of posh watches as well, one with a titanium strap that I would need to send off to Japan for a replacement part on the strap, English jewellers just don't seem able to work on titanium straps for some reason.
I used to have one of those! Growing up, we had to be ten before we could have a watch (and twelve for an umbrella, we had to be old enough to be responsible enough) and that was my first watch. Brings back memories just seeing it. Sadly, that watch didn't last past my teen years for some reason or other...

Krepostnoi

Confronting the challenge of porcine fragility
Reaction score
View attachment 7033
Does it do the two beeps on the hour thing? When I was a lad, I had a Casio watch that did this. We were once following a car along a country lane near Leeds/Bradford airport. It slowed to go round a sharp bend, and to warn any oncoming cars, the safety-conscious driver beeped out "shave-and-a-haircut". To my abiding delight, my watch marked the hour in perfect rhythm: "two-bits".

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
Does it do the two beeps on the hour thing? When I was a lad, I had a Casio watch that did this. We were once following a car along a country lane near Leeds/Bradford airport. It slowed to go round a sharp bend, and to warn any oncoming cars, the safety-conscious driver beeped out "shave-and-a-haircut". To my abiding delight, my watch marked the hour in perfect rhythm: "two-bits".

No it doesn't thank fuck, that would drive me mad ... I was a bit excited to find a mint in packaging vintage 007 Casio watch a couple of years back at a car boot though, my mate had one in the day and the alarm is the 007 theme but in 8 bit :cool: ... sadly when I opened it with my fingers crossed that I'd be able to get the back open to stick a new battery in it, the back of the watch was completely sealed shut although otherwise mint .. otherwise I'd be wearing it right now :(

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
My all time favourite watch was one with 256mb of memory with a usb connection hidden in the wrist strap. I was on windows ME in those days and when my pc died, I could actually boot up my system from it.

Gave one of those to my son for xmas one year. He loved it! I believe he wore it at CERN.

Andy X

AWOL
Reaction score

I never thought I was that interested in watches, but thinking about it I've had a few. I didn't wear a watch between about 1997 and 2007 as the strap had broken and I got out of the habit. When I put one on I found it quite irritating - not in the sense of it causing a rash or anything - just finding it, as you say Yith, irksome. And we had mobile phones by then.

My first watch I found in a playground when I was about seven - a basic child-sized analogue affair. Finders keepers.

As part of equipping me for the grown-up world of Secondary School my parents bought me something very similar to this. I found digital watches very exciting at the time. It's in a drawer somewhere still:

09110009.jpg

On getting my first job between school and deciding whether to carry on in Edumacayshun I bought myself one of these as I liked the moon phase feature:

vintage-retro-axcess.jpg

A later phase of a different kind - i.e. an interest in cyberpunky things - led me to purchase these two that lit up futuristically and stuff:

images.jpg

C-008.jpg

And now I have one of these, which I inherited and wear most days. The strap still irritates me a bit!

30354013-882-640x964.jpg

Andy X

AWOL
Reaction score
I have a Timex Expedition Indiglo.
I took out the battery and have kept the hands at 8 minutes past 10 because it’s just a happy smiley face... like I see on all the other watch ads.

Forgot that one, despite been trying to recall the name of the range - I also have an Indiglo which an ex-girlfriend kindly bought me years ago. As per usual, it's in a drawer. Somewhere.

RaM

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
When my cousin gave up diving he gave me his watch, a proper old diving watch like wearing a lump of lead on your wrist, it was mechanical and self winding, inside it had a big half moon shaped
weight that moved as you did and wound the thing up, anyway we had this works van that had this horrendous vibration and the watch did not like it and would fall to bits inside, had it mended a few times than one day it broke again, to my lasting shame I placed it on the anvil got out Big Jimmy out biggest sledge hammer and gave it my mightiest whack, the watch survived surprisingly well though it was scrap it was much better than you would expect, but the anvil had and probably still has a perfect indentation of the back of the watch, makers name serial number the lot.

Last edited by a moderator: