Explain Your Wristwatch

James_H

And I like to roam the land
Reaction score
I bought a wristwatch after I started working in a school because all the clocks in the classrooms show different times and I can't check my phone all the time. It's a Timex one, with big numbers. I thought it looked pretty stylish. Later I looked it up and it's called 'The Easy Reader' and is presumably aimed at the elderly and short-sighted demographic.

blessmycottonsocks

Antediluvian
Reaction score
The Pro-Trek is my everyday watch. Use its timer functions at work during system testing, the altimeter, barometer and thermometer are handy for cycling and hiking and the moon phase advises me on the best nights for star-gazing.
The Nautica is my holiday watch - easier to change time-zones and more waterproof than the Pro-Trek (an ingress of the Aegean ruined my previous Pro-Trek).
PSX_20171111_105246.jpg

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Reaction score

I used to have one of those. It was when I used to do voluntary work with kids with disabilities and one kid on a residential activity week was really taken by my watch and loved to play with the countdown timer.

At the end of the week, I arrived home physically and mentally exhausted and fell into bed for a long overdue sleep...only to find the little bugger had set the alarm to go off at three in the morning!

Andy X

AWOL
Reaction score
Ha ha, I'm sure the lad meant no harm. Unless he did.

Oh yes, the mighty Twin-Graph II™ AE-21W with its whizzy timer/stopwatch dial. Cool.

Let me guess: did yours fall into disuse when the plastic strap (inevitably) broke?

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Reaction score
Ha ha, I'm sure the lad meant no harm. Unless he did.

Oh yes, the mighty Twin-Graph II™ AE-21W with its whizzy timer/stopwatch dial. Cool.

Let me guess: did yours fall into disuse when the plastic strap (inevitably) broke?

I thought he had a rather wicked smile on his face as he went home.

And yes, the strap broke and it ended up in a drawer.

Andy X

AWOL
Reaction score
Fair enough then.

Thought so re. the strap. Most of the examples for sale online are strapless. Poor show, Casio.

David Plankton

I AM HIM.
Reaction score
On getting my first job between school and deciding whether to carry on in Edumacayshun I bought myself one of these as I liked the moon phase feature:

index.php

I had one very similar if not the same. I had to wait until the second night of the full moon to set the display to get it absolutely correct.
Also - leather straps vs metal. I could never wear a metal strap due to hairy wrists. And that's not a Lycanthropy thing.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
So far, my current replacement watch strap (made of woven nylon and stainless steel) has outlasted all the other straps I've had before. Definitely an improvement over resin, leather or metal straps.

Andy X

AWOL
Reaction score
I had one very similar if not the same. I had to wait until the second night of the full moon to set the display to get it absolutely correct.
Also - leather straps vs metal. I could never wear a metal strap due to hairy wrists. And that's not a Lycanthropy thing.

Yes, I remember the moon dial being a bit fiddly. The design (especially the strap) looks decidedly of its time now, in a good way. For some while I'd find metal straps left an interesting sort of verdigris effect on my forearm - due to a poor choice of materials, no doubt.

David Plankton

I AM HIM.
Reaction score
The design (especially the strap) looks decidedly of its time now, in a good way.
Mid to late 80's was when I had one. It was a conversation starter with a significant girlfriend, who was wearing a similar watch.

Andy X

AWOL
Reaction score
Yep, late 80's vintage.

A nice example of how a relatively minor decision such as choosing a wristwatch can end up altering the course of peoples' lives!

David Plankton

I AM HIM.
Reaction score
A nice example of how a relatively minor decision such as choosing a wristwatch can end up altering the course of peoples' lives!

Well it got me and you talking Andy, didn't it? :loveu:

On a more serious note, I often think that my entire life's course was determined by a single comment from a teacher at secondary school. Really, if he hadn't paid me a certain compliment then I know I wouldn't be where I am, with the people I know today. That is weird, thinking of what might have been in another life.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
, I often think that my entire life's course was determined by a single comment from a teacher at secondary school.

Yup, I was discussing my dissertation subject with a tutor when he casually mentioned a theory that was the latest thinking on the subject.

I thought WHAT? and went off and looked up all the most recent papers on it, and rejigged everything to include it, and the diss went well. Without that offhand comment it wouldn't have looked half as clever!

Andy X

AWOL
Reaction score
Well it got me and you talking Andy, didn't it? :loveu:

On a more serious note, I often think that my entire life's course was determined by a single comment from a teacher at secondary school. Really, if he hadn't paid me a certain compliment then I know I wouldn't be where I am, with the people I know today. That is weird, thinking of what might have been in another life.

I say, steady on old chap :)

I have to say I've always been a bit preoccupied by how life would be quite different if I hadn't walked into a certain pub at a certain time, for example.

It can make your head spin this kind of thinking, but we are fortunate to have the good old wristwatch to reassure us with its reliable display of order and linearity.

dreeness .

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
Casio Pro Trek PRG-40B-2V:

PRG-40-3V_7m.jpg

Explain it? Bombproof, waterproof, accurate, a couple of whizzy features which I use e.g. a compass, cheap (I bought it second-hand via an outdoorsy forum).

maximus otter
I bought it second-hand via an outdoorsy forum
Without my glasses, I read that as
"I bought it second-hand via an autopsy forum"

:eek:

dr wu

Doctor Prog
Reaction score
Not much to tell...the wife bought it for me several years ago.....brown antique face with a dark brown strap. Bulova Frank Lloyd Wright design.
5d2b2c09a205eea32ff2c4638c5465de--interesting-gifts-designer-watches.jpg

Shady

DEATHS Kitty
Reaction score
It has a clear circle and two circles show in it, one is solid the other is empty, solid one is hours the other is mins

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
It has a clear circle and two circles show in it, one is solid the other is empty, solid one is hours the other is mins
Seconds?

GerdaWordyer

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
When my former watch conked out in 2013 I went to Target for another cheepo watch and found a Hello Kitty watch that's still going strong and is cute.

dreeness .

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
When my former watch conked out in 2013 I went to Target for another cheepo watch and found a Hello Kitty watch that's still going strong and is cute.

When I was a young student in Toronto, I wore a cheap "Mickey Mouse" watch from Eaton's. One night when I was walking home, a homeless guy asked me what time it was, and I said "Here, you can have my watch." He said "Thanks pal".
As I was walking away, he said "What the fuck is this?" and the watch hit the back of my head with appreciable force.

:dunno:

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
He was a high-class homeless guy. Probably expected a Rolex.

skinny

aka Wuluwait, Boatman of the Dead
Reaction score
Used to wear Fossil.
Then I went practical and got a Casio explorer version with compass direction and shit. Now it sits in my bag. I don't wear anything. No jewellery of any kind. Unadorned.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Techy buys me watches in bulk, about £6 each from China. I go through a few a year at work.

The watches have very large faces so I can easily see the time, which is essential in my job. I'm often complimented on them. I like to show them to my posher colleagues when they brag about owning a Rolex.

A Rolex! More money than sense. Sometime recently I was clicking through on TV and found a reality-type cop show, where the police were discussing the theft of a Rolex (possibly by street robbery) worth tens of thousands of pounds, which they reckoned the thief would flog for about three grand. Seriously, I don't own anything worth the three thousand, never mind the Rolex.

Ringo

I like to not get involved in these matters
Reaction score
Used to wear Fossil.
Then I went practical and got a Casio explorer version with compass direction and shit. Now it sits in my bag. I don't wear anything. No jewellery of any kind. Unadorned.

I like Fossil too - dark leather straps with a chunky metal body. My only problem is that Fossil leather straps like hell when they get old/warm. I've had 3 of them - maybe it's my own body chemistry that doesn't mix well with their straps.

This sort of thing:
ch2891-mens-coachman-brown-leather-chronograph-watch.jpg

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I have a number of watches that I've bought over the years, but I really only have three I wear on a regular basis. One for work as I don't mind if it gets knocked around a little and two others that I change depending on what I'm wearing.
This one's my favourite.
watch.jpg

Automatic and keeps great time, elegant, has a look I like, attracts attention (though that's not why I bought it) and didn't cost the Earth.

Ringo

I like to not get involved in these matters
Reaction score
Automatic and keeps great time, elegant, has a look I like, attracts attention (though that's not why I bought it) and didn't cost the Earth.

It looks a little Steam-punkish but not in an over the top way. It makes me think if aviation by balloon, the dawn of a new age etc. I can see Day and Date, does it tell you the month also?