• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

David Farrant's 'Exploring The Supernatural'

FOR JAYNE

Sorry for the slight delay in getting back to you re. the haunted Church in "Scullacoates" Lane.

You were quite right, in fact, the correct name is "Scullocoats", not "Skullgates" as I originally copied it. I mislaid the original file but see from my copied notes that it was spelt as you pointed out.

I was never able to proceed much further with any potential historical links to this account (thanks for your link by the way) as all the facts seemed a little 'jumbled' about what originally stood where, but perhaps more importantly, any accounts of supernatural activity or hauntings around them.

The book in question was revised and reprinted last summer, so I am afraid my 'misspelling' of the name seems fated to stay until the next reprint. But if you should learn anymore about any hauntings in the area (or indeed, anymore about this particular one), please let me know as I would like to extend this story if possible.

Thanks for your observations so far,

DAVID (FARRANT).

the grave of robin hood

This grave is well documented in various ancient manuscripts, such as Sloane and Grafton and is generally accepted by academia and enthusiasts as being the actual grave of Robin Hood, though possibly the actual body may be further down the hillside nearer the old road, now grassed over, as reported in the documents.As no-one has ever been allowed to do any archeological studies on the hillside, it will always be a msytery and cause of speculation, perhaps if the landowner had been more amenable then the legend might have lost its fascination instead of achieving the opposite effect with all the hush hush secrecy, which may or may not be simply a wish to keep the woods the province of the local blood sports fraternity!

Darker than Reason

DARKER THAN REASON

A PARTICULARLY MALEVOLENT ghost haunts an old wharf in Enfield, North London. This formidable building, recently closed but still extant, looms menacingly at the edge of an old canal that in days gone by was used to transport its wares; lino which was prepared in great bulk on the premises. From here, many incidents concerning ghostly occurrences have been forthcoming, although many of these may never be known, witnesses having been 'lost' with the passing of time, yet others unable or unwilling to relate their experiences.

Yet in more recent years can be more precisely defined. And some of them present a chilling picture of a sinister - if not 'evil' phenomenon.

One witness, a former employee a former who worked at the warehouse from 1977 for eleven years, is in little doubt about the existence of this sinister entity and relates that it did not only unnerve himself but also several of his workmates.
Eddie Wooll from Enfield, became aware of ghostly stories soon after he started work at the warehouse, and confirms that in view of what he later witnessed himself, that he was left in little doubt about their authenticity.

In later years, before its actual closure, the warehouse was used to pack and distribute machinery parts and building materials; the heavier boxes - after having been conveyed by lift - being stored on metal racks on the top floor. Here, running around the upper-most walls of the building was a small inaccessible ledge - or 'catwalk' - one of many features no longer in use but used in the days when the warehouse was a lino factory. Then, the building contained no floors and workers had to walk around the narrow walkway to hang huge lengths of lino out to dry on metal rollers suspended just below the roof. This procedure was followed until 1936, when the warehouse was converted into a 'modern' building and new floors and a lift were installed.

But in more recent times, there would appear to have been many strange occurrences in the building - particularly on its top floor -all events which can be confirmed by Eddie Wooll and occurred during the period that he worked there. One of these anomalies concerned the heating - or lack of it - that managed to reach the top floor.

In fact, although the building was heated by a large electric boiler that distributed hot air through large fans on each floor, none of this heat ever managed to reach the top floor, despite the fact that there was no blockage in the pipes to obstruct the main heating system. Outside contractors were regularly called in but none could explain what was causing the problem. On one occasion, two professional engineers attempted to completely overhaul the heating system but under no circumstances could they get hot air to reach the top floor. In fact, as they worked there, they actually felt the air getting colder and colder, so much so that it was a relief for them to leave that floor and return to the comparatively normal temperature of the rest of the building.

Whatever efforts the company employed to resolve this problem, the less they succeeded, and in the winter months men working on the top floor were forced to wrap up in coats and wear gloves and have electric fires on their benches in an effort to keep warm.

But an equally inexplicable occurrence seems to have involved the mysterious or dislodging of boxes containing packed materials that were stored on the top floor. It was a common occurrence, for example, for Eddie Wooll and his workmates to finish work on a Friday evening only to return on Monday to find boxes that had been previously neatly packed and stacked up having 'fallen' from their metal shelves lying open, their contents scattered across the floor. On other occasions, as well, objects were found moved from their original positions; invariably, these events occurring overnight when the building was locked up and unoccupied.
Then one day, and incident occurred which seemed to take on more sinister overtones …

One Saturday morning, one of the company's drivers named Bill, brought his small dog into work, mainly for company and to give it some exercise (the only thing drivers did on Saturday mornings was to wash down their vans).
It was a friendly creature and the subject of much fuss from the few people present. In passing, Bill remarked that the dog was very intelligent and one thing that it was capable of doing, was quickly finding him if he tried to hide anywhere. Of course, a natural place to try this out was the silent warehouse and, sure enough, wherever Bill went to hide - and no matter how well concealed he was - the dog quickly located him.

Eventually, to give it one final test, Bill went to hide on the top floor, but this time, after racing around the downstairs floors and deciding he wasn't there, when the dog reached the stairway leading to the top floor, it stopped dead in its tracks and backed away whining.
By this time, Eddie Wooll and two of his workmates had reached the landing and they watched uneasily as the dog tried to brave the stairs but retreated each time as if stopped by some invisible barrier.

Hearing all the commotion, Bill appeared at the top of the stairs, but no amount of shouting or encouragement would entice the dog to go any further. Then, prompted by the others to test the animal's resolve, Bill attempted to carry the dog up the stairs, but it barred its teeth and growled and less than half way up jumped frantically from his arms.

Deciding that 'something' of a most unpleasant disposition was present - their fears enhanced by the fact that the area had turned icy cold - the group quickly retreated downstairs.

Whatever it was that had caused the dog to react in such a manner, this will only certainly remain a mystery. But from a psychic point of view, the dog's behaviour on this occasion could be a relevant factor. For it is commonly realised on psychic circles (indeed, elsewhere) that many psychic entities can have a direct effect upon animals.

But soon after this, another incident took place that seemed to give further credence to the possibility that some active force or 'presence' lurked upstairs.

It was Friday evening and Eddie Wooll was working late in a small office on the first floor. He was foreman by now and much of his time was spent in this office, sometimes working late to catch up on his book work. All of a sudden, he distinctly heard the sound of a heavy metal barrow being pushed around on the top floor. He paid little attention to this at the time as another worker called David was also with him working late, except he noticed that the barrow had a 'dodgey wheel' as there was an intermittent banging sound whilst it clanked to and fro across the floor. He thought this slightly odd, wondering why David had not chosen one of the better barrows which were stored on the top floor. This occurred around 6. 45 but a minute or two later when he left the office to check some stock, Eddie Wooll was more than a little surprised to meet David at the bottom of the stairs. His surprise, however, soon turned to disbelief when he learned that David had been downstairs for sometime. He had been working on the top floor some time earlier but for the previous 15 minutes he had been brewing some tea.

Needless to say, when the realisation dawned upon the two men that they were 'not alone' in the otherwise empty building they left soon afterwards, neither feeling inclined to venture back and turn out the lights on the top floor.

But the next morning, anxious to discover the cause of the previous evening's disturbances, Eddie Wooll and a small team of drivers ventured cautiously to the top floor.

Astonishingly, in view of the havoc discovered on past occasions and the noises heard the previous evening, they found nothing untoward. Indeed, everything was as it had been left at the close of work on the Friday and the metal barrows so frequently used to move heavy machinery were all in place.

While events such as these continued with added persistency at the warehouse, many of the current workforce (themselves having shared other personal experiences there) had become convinced that some sinister force was operative within the building.

Of course, whilst there existed no material explanation to account for many of these happenings, the 'material effects' were all too apparent; and it was perhaps as a result of this, that a decision was taken to 'hold a séance' in the building in an attempt to make contact with the entity, or whatever it was that seemingly 'lurked there'.

The séance itself (perhaps initially an ill-advised decision) essentially involved a make-shift 'ouija-board session' and eight people, including Eddie Wooll, were present. Cardboard letters of the alphabet were laid out in a circle on a polished table in an office, with two extra words reading 'yes' and 'no' inside. Everybody put their index fingers firmly on a wine glass in the middle and Don, the person mainly responsible for organising the séance, asked out aloud if … "anybody was there?" Almost immediately, the glass began to move purposefully across the table, going first to 'A', then to 'N' and on to 'D', stopping briefly each time - almost determinedly - beside each letter.

At this point, another person present called Andy exclaimed … "Its spelling out my name"; a comment that seemingly interrupted the proceedings as the glass abruptly returned to the middle of the table and stopped - the 'spell' presumably broken.

Needless to say, any further attempts to community with the entity - or 'unearthly presence' - were abandoned for the night, and, although the possibility of conducting another séance was discussed at a later date, morale never again seemed quite right and the idea never materialised.

Yet although another séance was never attempted, still inexplicable events and mysterious happenings continued to be regular occurrences. Not least, was the mysterious movement and falling of boxes, and some workers would also be startled by a distinct shadow that appeared without warning and disappeared just as quickly amidst the cold and gloom of the top floor. On other occasions - again on the top floor - lights would mysteriously turn themselves on and off and, usually after dark, a strange 'sighing sound' would echo around the building. But it was later on during his time at the warehouse that Eddie Wooll witnessed an event that convinced him that some 'ominous presence' indeed haunted the old warehouse.

It was one October, a month that saw the annual stocktake, and by this time several new staff had been employed there although significantly, perhaps (although more precisely on the directions of management who were anxious to avoid any possible lack of work performance), none were told that the premises were reputedly haunted.

On the occasion in question, Eddie Wooll and a new Indian worker called Me Mann were both counting the contents of some boxes stored on their racks on the top floor. It was a tedious job. Mr Mann was at the top of an eight foot ladder leaning against the metal racks calling out the contents of the boxes to Eddie Wooll who was logging them from his position on the floor.

Then all of a sudden, and for no apparent reason, Mr Mann fell headlong from the ladder. His fall was cushioned by Eddie Wooll but the force was sufficient to send both men crashing to the floor. Unhurt, but quite badly shaken, they were both at pains to explain what had happened, although some of the older workforce were not surprised when Mr Mann insisted that 'something invisible' had pushed him off the ladder.

In conclusion, and perhaps as a fitting epitaph to these ghostly events, before he eventually left the warehouse I 1988, Eddie Wooll decided to put some effort into discovering some facts about the warehouse's history; facts which he hoped might have a potential bearing on the strange events that he had witnessed there.

One discovery came to light: The incident occurred in the early 1930's when the warehouse was still a lino factory. Apparently, one day, one of the drying rollers on the top floor (it may be recalled that in those days the warehouse had no floors as such, only steps leading to the narrow catwalk at the top of the building) where lino was hung out in huge lengths to dry, got stuck and two workers attempted to clear the mechanism. In fact, one of them leant over the catwalk with the other holding him around the waist for support but unfortunately, during the course of this exercise, the first man lost balance and fell taking the other with him to imminent death on the ground floor some eighty feet below.

Of course, to suggest that this incident had any connection with the warehouse haunting would be far too nebulous a statement, but it could be relevant to note that some psychic occurrences seem to be connected to events of great tragedy.
But whether providing a clue to this sinister haunting, or merely throwing speculation upon events that appear to defy the explainable, is perhaps academic.

The old warehouse now deserted and securely bolted, standing formidably as some Victorian relic, would appear to show no sign of giving up its grim secrets.

(c) David Farrant 2005

MINERS' GHOSTLY CURSES RECORDED

09:00 - 18 August 2005
Spooky goings-on at Poldark Mine, near Helston, have been captured on camera. Helston's team of paranormal investigators, Mostghosts, have begun running regular tours of the mine.

L Visitors descend into Poldark Mine, where spooky goings-on have been captured on camera.
Visitors experience strange goings-on Gareth Bartlett reports

But while they have taken numerous pictures of "orbs" which are supposed to represent paranormal activity, it was the foul language of the ghosts they encountered which surprised them the most.

"We recorded the evening on tape and when we listened back to it we heard all sorts of voices," said Amanda Holdgate, of Mostghosts.

"We couldn't believe the swearing. It was incredible."

The tours explain what Mostghosts found at Poldark during an investigation earlier this year.

It was a recording from that expedition which, when examined later, revealed a clear voice advising, in the strongest terms, someone to go away.

Anyone who has ever seen the cult TV series Most Haunted will be fairly familiar with the process.

The team uses night-vision cameras to try and detect activity while it's pitch black, and several names were picked up by a medium.

Ghostly apparitions, moving objects and paranormal hotspots were all witnessed.

"We did seven tours on Sunday night and it was fantastic. We saw lots of orbs," said Amanda.

"There was a family who had come down from Essex and they had all seen spirits, even their young little girl. In one picture we took, the girl is in the photo looking scared and there is something in front of her but we can't tell what it is.

"There is a lot of activity down there," she said.

"With many accidents and deaths in the mines it is not surprising that the Cornish miners were convinced that ghosts abounded in the mines. With unexplained noises and 'cold areas', a mine can be an eerie place."

The Mostghosts team is available for private investigations in homes, and do not charge for their services.

The guides also cover the myths and legends of Poldark Mine. Tours can be arranged through Poldark Mine on 01326 573173. Mostghosts can be contacted on 01326 560234.
WB

The Ancient Ram Inn

Hi Readers,
Regarding your two visits to the Ancient Ram Inn do you happen to know if the owner still allows such vigils and is it true that he charges £100 per person to spend the night there.

I ask because a couple of friends and myself would like to spend a vigil there.

I wrote to John Humpheries a couple months ago (enclosing a SAE) but so far have heard nothing. It's possible he didn't get the letter as I didn't know the post code.

Catherine Fearnley

Re: The Ancient Ram Inn

CathyandDavid said:
Hi Readers,
Regarding your two visits to the Ancient Ram Inn do you happen to know if the owner still allows such vigils and is it true that he charges £100 per person to spend the night there.

I ask because a couple of friends and myself would like to spend a vigil there.

I wrote to John Humpheries a couple months ago (enclosing a SAE) but so far have heard nothing. It's possible he didn't get the letter as I didn't know the post code.

Catherine Fearnley

Yes, he does allow vigils there...or at least he did last April when ASSAP held a two day vigil there. He charges £20 per person.

I don't know why John hasn't replied, but when I met him last, despite his chirpy accomodating self, he wasn't very well. I believe he has recently been in hospital for cancer treatment, so he may not be up to hosting a vigil.

Ancient Ram Inn

Thank you for your information DrPLea. David did mention the sum of £100, but he probably meant that this was for five people.

I am personally very interested in spending a nightly vigil there as I did not accompany David on the last two vigils. It probably won't be until the Spring now however, although I understand that the place is cold enough as it is in the Autumn.

I am sure the figure of £20 he quoted is correct, which is not much when you think about it, as some reputedly haunted places charge much more than that.

Thanks again
Catherine

Midnight Vigil For The Lydford Spectre

Among the many ghosts reputed to haunt rural Dartmoor, many of which have been the subject of investigation by the British Psychic and Occult Society, perhaps none holds as much interest in the Moor’s ‘ghostly heritage’ as the evil devil-like spectre said to lurk in the ruins of Lydford Castle. Lydford was once a thriving community and headquarters of a powerful hierarchy of tin-miners who virtually ruled Dartmoor.

The castle was built in Norman times on the site of an earlier castle (the old moat still encompassing the present ruin) for centuries afterwards used as a Court house, prison and execution chamber for unfortunate victims who managed to incur the wrath of their feudal masters.

These included member of Parliament, Richard Strobe, who at that time was imprisoned in the castle dungeons for daring to introduce a bill to which the tin-miners objected.

This grim ruin still holds today an atmosphere of intense cold and despair – and there are stories of a devil-like-creature with glaring red eyes who drives away or possesses anyone foolish enough to venture into the ruins at night.

Local legend also has it that this same spectre also haunts the nearby Lydford Gorge, this time apparently in the form of a sinister woman draped in black who lures unsuspecting travellers to their deaths on the rocks some 200 feet below.

Whatever the foundation of these beliefs, is perhaps now impossible to tell; but it remains a fact, albeit taking into account earlier atrocities at the prison that may have given rise to such stories (for example, a band of brigands who terrorized the district in the 17th century from their hideouts in the gorge and who supposedly cast to their deaths any who came in pursuit), that there exists in the present day a firmly established belief in some hostile presence manifest within the ruins.

A recent investigation by the BPOS may bear out this view. In fact, Society investigation into the Lydford case has revealed that some psychic manifestation, whether recent or otherwise, does exist within the ruin and has almost certainly been effectual in creating a base for the current local stories.

As part of this investigation, members of the Society recently spent an all-night vigil inside the ruins at full moon (a time when psychic forces are most potent) and the results were, to say the least, intriguing.

Perhaps most apparent from the onset of this vigil was the decidedly cold temperature in the old dungeons in the ruin; added to this the fact that a trained alsatian dog ‘froze’ at the top of the wrought-iron staircase leading to the dungeons and barked repeatedly at something unseen below. When eventually carried down the stairs, it whined continually and cringed in a corner, ignoring all attempts to be pacified.

The next incident occurred at exactly ten minutes to three when a dark shape, resembling a large bear, was seen to materialize in an adjacent room and appeared to glide for several feet before promptly disappearing just below a stone archway leaving behind an intense atmosphere of overbearing evil and icy coldness. Notwithstanding an attempt to photograph this apparition, the negatives when later developed were blank despite a thorough check of the area, there was nothing to indicate that the witnessed phenomenon could be anything other than psychic by nature.

While some may argue that these occurrences do not produce irrefutable proof as to the existence of paranormal activity, it may be reasonably stated that the Society investigation, still only in its initial stages, has succeeded in establishing that local stories about an evil presence in Lydford Castle are not entirely without foundation.

Copyright David Farrant 2006,
Photograph Copyright The British Psychic and Occult Society

Investigations001.jpg

Beyond The Mental Realm

AS SO MUCH HAS BEEN RAISED HERE ABOUT RELIGION, THE PARANORMAL, WITCHCRAFT AND VAMPIRISM, WHITE AND BLACK MAGIC (MAINLY BLACK), THE DEVIL AND GOOD AND EVIL, I THOUGHT I MIGHT SHARE MY THOUGHTS ON THESE MATTERS – ONLY BRIEFLY, OF COURSE, BECAUSE SUCH SUBJECTS ARE ALMOST INFINITE BY NATURE. THAT IS BUT ONE THING. PERHAPS EQUALLY IMPORTANT IS ATEMPTING TO UNRAVEL THE MASS OF MYTH THAT HAS SURROUBDED THIS ENTIRE SUBJECT; IN MANY INSTANCES, MYTH AND SIMILAR FALACIES THAT HAVE ARISN OUT OF IGNORANCE OR RELIGIOUS BIAS. OFTEN BOTH.

IN THIS RESPECT, I THOUGHT I WOULD POST UP A REPLY I MADE TO A MEMBER OF A FAIRLY LARGE PAGAN ORGANISATION A YEAR OR SO AGO. THIS REPLY MIGHT ALSO BE RELEVANT HERE AS IT RAISES A COUPLE OF POINTS THAT MIGHT HAVE GONE GENERALLY UNREALISED OR BEEN OVERLOOKED. IT IS, OF COURSE, ANYBODIES’ PREROGATIVE TO AGREE OR DISAGREE. IN FACT, YOU DON’T EVEN HAVE TO READ ON. BUT SHOULD YOU DO SO, YOU MAY CARE TO SHARE YOUR OWN THOUGHTS . . .

FOR ARCHRAVEN:

Thank you for making the important point about the relation between the subconscious mind and the conscious one. I say ‘important’ because to me personally, it is an essential point and one that needs to be seen as such before any questions about the paranormal (i.e things that are seen to exist or occur beyond the conscious mind) can even begin to be investigated seriously. When we started this thread and called it “Beyond the Mental Realm”, it was really intended to apply to the whole field of paranormal phenomena (or the ‘supernatural’), but the point you make is essentially valid because without a conscious mind to realise that such a thing as paranormal activity might really exist, the whole thing would really be a ‘non-starter’ in the first place! Having said that, I realise that I might be very much on my own here in that I am not attempting to speak on behalf of anybody else (Catherine, for one, is at a loss to see that such a topic is really relevant while Gareth would probably not agree with me) or attempting to ‘cloud’ normal reality with issues normally regarded as ‘intangible’.

Your question of “How do I define the Unconscious”, is really unanswerable, as such. I cannot define it, simply because it is not possible to define levels of conscious that might lie beyond the normal ‘everyday thinking’ mind with the conscious mind. It would be rather like trying to interpret some compelling dream that has since disappeared into realms unseen leaving only some vague consciousness recollection of it. Of course, you could get dozens of conscious interpretations (meanings) about it, but all would basically amount to conjectures on the part of the conscious mind itself.

I sought to find some answer to this problem many years ago now (and am still trying to do so!); basically, how to interpret, or at least, begin to understand deeper levels of consciousness that lie beyond ‘normal’ or superficial consciousness. It is, of course, a vast question, and one to which no forthcoming answers can be expressed in simple form.

I can only really express a little of what I began to understand at the beginning about the whole question:

To begin with, why is it that so many people automatically accept standard definitions about consciousness. For example, we are taught basically that there exist three basic levels of consciousness; the conscious, the subconscious and the unconscious, which can be defined by conscious theories or other interpretations (which, in turn, are subject to ‘consciousness learning processes’ or other very human theories). This is the commonly accepted view (put very simply); but is it necessarily true?

By this I mean, that could there not exist dozens upon dozens of levels of consciousness, all maybe ‘interactive’ in a way that certainly lies beyond normal (or normal conscious) interpretation? Further than this, could there not exist much deeper levels in human consciousness that are beyond normal ‘thought processes’ and which cannot possibly be ‘reached’ by utilizing them (active thought processes?).

Of course, this is where the esoteric (magic) comes in with all its usual deeper symbolisms, sigils, dream interpretations and so forth (and I’m not ’knocking’ magical practices having been involved in them); but can even this provide any real answer?

You can go much deeper, of course, but at the end of it, you are only left paddling in the shallows of an infinite ocean.

So to me, that leaves (and left) an inevitable question; how is it then possible to glimpse (let alone see clearly) deeper levels of consciousness with relying upon normal (’everyday’) consciousness to bring this about? Or even, is this possible at all whilst in our normal human state? It is difficult to put into words. It is rather like saying; if you can somehow go beyond ‘normal consciousness’, you might be able to ‘reach’ THAT which might lie beyond it, but in doing so, you would first have to disguard the very rational mind that would be capable of recognising IT.

I can not attempt to expound this view on paper. It is hard enough to do so in person, so normally I avoid this subject. I touched upon this once in a talk I gave (which was originally supposed to be about the paranormal and “ghosts”) and the latter point somehow came up. Somebody pointed out that it was all really a waste of time and there could be no answer because all you were left with was a ‘chicken and egg’ situation - one that could never really satisfactorily answered.

I could only reply that maybe that question could indeed be answered: Maybe ‘what came first’ was the consciousness or ‘life force’ that first created and formed both of them.

Maybe we would be best devoting our energies to that, then some of the rest of it would fall into place automatically.

David Farrant

The Spectre of Highgate Woods

For some years now (nay decades) there have been reports of a tall dark figure (often described as a sinister looking man) appearing and disappearing amongst the trees in Highgate Woods. It’s appearances seem mainly confined to the top of the small hill which was once the site of a Roman Settlement. This is historical fact but fairly recent modern evidence was found when, in 1967, archeological excavations found the remains of kilns, pieces of Roman potter, and arrow heads.

It would appear that the ‘spectre’ itself is still active. Only in recent months three independent people have testified to witnessing the figure and in this vicinity and experiencing inexplicable changes in temperature.

It may be significant that the site of the old settlement lies directly on a major ley line which passes through an ancient nunnery in North Hill, the Old Gatehouse and Flask Pubs further on and ends in the middle of Highgate Cemetery.

Whether or not ‘ghosts’ and earth bound phenomena have a connection with ley lines, is of course another question. But it is a question that will probably go unanswered at this period in time, when science itself (or certainly the majority of it) will not even concede the existence of psychic energy.

David Farrant
President of the BPOS

CathandDavid~ said:
JIMA asks if a copy of the film made at Robin Hood's Grave will be made available? I would imagine it would be as this American film crew went to considerable time and trouble to record the whole history of the alleged grave at Kirklees. They did not only film us, but many other people besides so I can only say that they were serious in this enterprise and the film will be shown. I am not sure where at the moment, but when I am certain, I can post it up on FT Announcements...

DAVID FARRANT.

Hi David

Any news about the film?

Nice to read more about the Highgate Area, thanks for the article. :yeay:

Re: The Spectre of Highgate Woods

CathyandDavid said:
in 1967, archeological excavations found the remains of kilns, pieces of Roman potter, and arrow heads.
Which pieces of this poor unfortunate potter did they find? :shock:

;)

Reactions: Ger
Re: the grave of robin hood

barbara green~ said:
This grave is well documented in various ancient manuscripts, such as Sloane and Grafton and is generally accepted by academia and enthusiasts as being the actual grave of Robin Hood, though possibly the actual body may be further down the hillside nearer the old road, now grassed over, as reported in the documents.As no-one has ever been allowed to do any archeological studies on the hillside, it will always be a msytery and cause of speculation, perhaps if the landowner had been more amenable then the legend might have lost its fascination instead of achieving the opposite effect with all the hush hush secrecy, which may or may not be simply a wish to keep the woods the province of the local blood sports fraternity!

I visted the grave today, along with a few other folks from the Northern Earth Walks group, on a guided tour organised by the landowner.
(I think I may even have seen you, Barbara, at the entrance to the estate, selling your booklets?).

As you say, the actual resting place of the body is thought to have been down near the old Turnpike.
A folklorist attending the trip told us that the site has actually been investigated (I'll try and get dates and names), and that no remains were found, which contradicted what the estate's Guide told us!

Here're some pics-

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v480/ ... Grave1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v480/ ... Grave2.jpg

Inside the walls, the old stone that was once famed for curing toothache (people chipped bits off of it, to use as a remedy):-
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v480/ ... Grave4.jpg

The feelings of our group about the grave were mixed. Some found it vaguely spooky, others felt it had no atmosphere at all...

Robin Hoods Grave

For Gyrtrash, It was indeed, Barbara and myself who were picketing at the entrance of Kirklees Estate on October 1st in the process of which we were selling Barbara's booklets and other items of interest. Another reason for our presence was really to make a protest about the fact that the grave as a historical monument is not open to the public all the time and also the fact that the Yorkshire Robin Hood Society (a genuine historical Society) is not allowed to share information and research with members of the public who might be interested.

For people who might not know the story the grave is reputedly to contain the remains of the legendary Robin Hood. It is also supposed to be reputedly haunted by a 'hideous spectre' with 'glaring red eyes' that frightens anyone stupid enough to venture near the grave at night. This ghost is said to be that of the evil prioress who supposedly bled Robin Hood to death. Some other rather ridiculous accounts allege that because of this this spectre must be a 'vampire'!

Out of interest I attended the grave with David Farrant, Gareth Medway, and others on April 20th last year. I had a letter of permission to visit the grave and we all performed a exorcism ritual there that night.

You also pointed out that you experience no atmosphere at the grave. Well, a foreboding atmosphere was certainly regularly reported up until the time we performed the exorcism, so maybe this really had some effect!

Catherine Fearnley

David.

Are you aware of the very short article about your involvement in the Highgate situation which features in Smoke Issue 8?

If so, do you know the author?

I'm curious.

For Yithian

In answer to your query Hester Sweete, a writer for Smoke magazine, contacted me by email and phone at the end of last year to request the published interview. The magazine was originally due to come out in February but for some reason there was a six week - two month delay.

I have not met the author in person but, as I said, spoke to her at some length on the phone.

I often find that this procedure is fairly routine for example, I did an interview for TNT Magazine for Halloween last year and this again was done over the phone without my having met the news editor in question.

Anyway, I hope that this anwers your query,

for the moment,

David

It does, thank you David.

Incidently, it's not a bad little piece - a tip of the iceberg-type teaser and very much in the magazine's style of showing the city as a palimpsest.

robin hoods grave

It is quite true that we ahd to picket the site as we were no allowed on due to the feudal system operating there. More later!

greensky

for gyrtash

I hope I have spelt your name correctly, and sorry we did not get to meet you. For further information please see www.robinhoodyorkshire.co.uk

we have had trouble with Kirklees from the word go in the 1980s and only recently have they reluctantly allowed public access! As they once again refused to allow us on the land we did the picket and it was in the local press. There has been many strange goings on there over the years which is why they w ere unwilling to allow anyone to visit--Catherine ahs told you about the blessing we did in secret,

regards barbara

The Mysterious Silent Pool

Does anybody happen to know about any ghostly experiences that have affected anyone who has visited the Silent Pool near Shere in Surrey. There are two Pools actually very close together (a higher one and a lower one), but it is the upper Pool, which once used to be a Medieval chalk pit, that is reputedly haunted. Its ghost is supposed to be that of a young maiden who drownwed there centuries back (yes, I know, this is really only repeating unsubstantiated legend!), but it is a fact that this spectre is still closely associated with the Pool in the present day.

I recently spoke to a lady who told me that when she visited the Pool in 1992 the owner of a refreshment stall (I don't know if that's still there) told her adamently that he'd seen the apparition of a young girl gliding over the edge before disappearing into the clear water. And he said that several other visitors had reported this to him before he'd actually seen 'her' himself.

I visited the Pool with a friend in 1979. We did not actually see anything but were struck but the sense of 'timelessness' that seemed to hang over the immediate area.

I just don't seem to be getting anywhere on this one.

Thanks anyone,

David (Farrant)

No. They don't let anyone do "overnighters" there any more ... because too many people were wandering around, running into walls and generally being wazzocks instead of staying put (or under guidance) and investigating the location. The insurance was too much.

Sculcoates Lane

With regard to the earlier discussion of Sculcoates Lane, Hull.

Firstly, it isn't a canal which runs nearby, it is the River Hull. However, I can well believe that it may have flooded in the past, because it is tidal, and they have only recently added a tidal barrier (a sort of mini version of the Thames one) at its confluence with the Humber Estuary.

The church was originally the parish church of Sculcoates parish and in the 19th century this whole area was one massive slum with squalid streets of terraced houses surrounding factories mainly dedicated to the oil seed crushing industry which grew phenominally in the mid 19th century as Hull expanded with the railway links. The area was such a health risk generally that they had cholera and stuff like that, and in the early 1900s when the board of health were looking for typical examples of slums to photograph in order to basically set the yardstick for the type of housing that must never be allowed again, the example they chose was ... Sculcoates.

Nowadays the area is primarily full of light industry, but still in some cases on the old street pattern. Much of the housing was damaged in the War. Hull was very badly blitzed and the close proximity of the houses to factories meant that many were destroyed. What was left was mopped up by the city council in the 1960s who finished off what the Luftwaffe had started by flattening whole streets and bundling people off to high rises. A familiar story UK wide.

The old churchyard stands on the bend of Sculcoates lane and it is indeed very overgrown and neglected. There could be almost anything in there. Plus, as it's no longer a residential area, I wouldn't recommend wandering around there at night.

Equally spooky are the two (historically) later Sculcoates public cemeteries, which lie further along Sculcoates Lane, one on the northern side and one on the southern. These originally contained many Victorian gravestones - some of them quite grand in a mini-Highgate sort of a way. The city council had a lot of them broken and used as crazy paving to create pathways. Fortunately the local genealogical society was able to record such details as were still visible, before the council were allowed to vandalise them. Both these cemeteries, the North and the South, are sadly neglected these days, with broken glass, dog shit and head-high brambles in some places. My great great grandfather (d 1928) is buried in the Northern one.

I've wandered around in alone in daylight, but I would think twice about doing the same in the dark. They definitely have the air of something sad and angry being transmitted from them, unnoticed by the many people who speed along Sculcoates lane in their cars every day and never give them a glance.

Datchworth ghosts

This is a news story in today's Times:
Datchworth village remember the Eaves family who were allowed to starve
Jack Malvern

Even in 1769, the Eaves family’s deaths in abject poverty were so shameful that fellow villagers tried to hide the tragic circumstances.

James Eaves, his wife, his son and daughter “perished from want of food, rayment, attendance and a habitable dwelling” in a house on the green in the Hertfordshire village of Datchworth, according to a contemporary account.

Eaves’s wife had been seen crawling to the village pond for water but was too weak to carry the filled kettle home.

That was the last time that any member of the family was seen alive.

When finally discovered, the Eaves’s bodies were “emaciated beyond any conception, lying on a very small quantity of dirty peas straw spread on the bare earthen floor”.

Now descendants of the villagers who allowed the family to starve to death 240 years ago are to right their forebears’ wrong by putting up a memorial plaque.

Parish officers had tried to cover up the deaths and the tragedy would have been forgotten had it not been for Philip Thicknesse, a former soldier who discovered villagers attempting to bury the bodies before an inquest could take place.

Thicknesse began a campaign to highlight the plight of the family, but no memorial was ever built.

However, a pamphlet in which he described the deaths was rediscovered recently at the British Library by the Royal Society of Chemistry, which was conducting research into the relationship between chemistry and food. The society contacted the local vicar and suggested a plaque.

The Rev Coralie McCluskey agreed.

She said that the family’s details would be recorded and that she would preach a sermon on the story: “We should have a memorial plaque in place in a few months hence, in our garden of remembrance,” she said.

“We will record the family names and the date of their deaths. I think that by doing this the village will be showing its respect and will also be able to lay to rest a ghost.”

Villagers still tell ghost stories about a cart transporting the bodies along the local lanes.

In his pamphlet Thicknesse wrote: “These four unhappy persons died a more miserable and cruel death than the felons who we broke on the wheel or those who are tortured to death by the Inquisition in Spain or Portugal.”

Thicknesse concluded that the narrative was “so shocking to humanity and so alarming in this Christian country”.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/u ... 891986.ece
Earlier in this thread there is another Datchworth story:
This is a short article taken from David Farrant's book, Dark Journey (C) David Farrant 1999

GHOSTS, THE WATER CONNECTION
~BY DAVID FARRANT~

WHEN INVESTIGATING haunting and other types of para-normal activity, or speaking to witnesses who may have experienced them, it is surprising how many cases share remarkably similar characteristics, notwithstanding that many given incidents occur many mils apart and the witnesses are unknown to each other. Not all cases are identical, of course, but it can be said that the symptoms of given cases seem to share a common effect.
One factor that seems to link many cases of ghostly phenomena is a sudden change of temperature that often precedes - or accompanies - outbreaks of psychic activity; another is the frequent tendency of ‘ghosts’, or the psychic energy present, to affect electrical systems or even move material objects.
As most psychic investigators know, the ability of many animals to sense preternatural ‘presence’s’ is fairly well known, but one aspect that might not be generally realised is that many sightings of ghosts and other apparitions tend only to occur under certain climatic conditions. The humid atmosphere preceding a thunder storm, for example, when the air is charged with electricity, has brought many a report of ghostly sightings and it is worthy to note that a large proportion of ghostly phenomena reported world-wide occur in conditions conducive to a damp atmosphere or in the immediate vicinity of water.
Perhaps water - or damp conditions - is an essential ingredient that can actually activate psychic energy and ‘replay’ it to be seen in the form of ghostly images or pictures. More likely, any possible connection between the tangible and intangible, is likely to evade description. Nonetheless, the following are just a few cases of ghostly phenomena that appear to be directly linked to the element of water …

Datchworth is a small village, three miles from Welwyn, in Hertfordshire, and here, more precisely in the vicinity of a small lake opposite Mardlebury Manor, the ghostly figure of a woman has been seen on the roads at night suddenly emerging from the darkness and disappearing in the paths of approaching cars. She is also seen disappearing into the lake.
According to legend, the ghost is that of a young woman drowned in the lake some 200 years ago after attending a grand party at the manor house. As she was leaving the party in her carriage, her coachman (who was possibly drunk) lost control of the horses and veered into the lake. Since this time, she appeared spasmodically to lonely travellers, and in more recent times, to startled motorists who have swerved violently to avoid hitting her.

Research into this case turned out to be especially interesting; especially as it corresponded uncannily with a number of other cases that involved ghostly figures confronting motorists on roads at night, seemingly, with the intention of causing death or serious injury. Whatever, circumstances prompted members of the British Psychic and Occult Society to spend an entire night by the lake, hoping to view and possibly photograph this apparition. This vigil took place in January 1984 on the night of the full moon - a time when psychic forces can be especially active.
Nothing untoward happened, although in the early hours of the morning, a definite ‘whitish mist’ was seen ‘hovering’ over the water at the far end of the lake. An attempt was made to photograph this ‘apparition’ but when later developed, the negatives were blank.

In an attempt to obtain further information, an appeal was made to a local newspaper requesting any first hand accounts from anyone who might have witnessed this apparition. This request was rewarded when one local resident, Mr Gratham Young from Welwyn, stated that a few years before, in 1978, he had actually ‘hit’ a ghostly lady in his car one night, although he had kept quiet about this for fear of being ridiculed. He wrote …

“ About five years ago in the late summer, I was driving home from my girlfriend’s house in Tewin to my parents house in Knebworth. Around 11:30p.m., at the bottom of Whitehorse Lane (near Mardlebury Manor), a woman ran in front of my car. I hit her steered off the road and ploughed into an old oak tree on the left hand side of the road. I rushed back to the spot where I had ‘hit’ the lady, only damage to the passenger side-wing where I had hit the tree. Even to this day, there is a chunk out of the tree where I had hit it.”

When asked if there were any details he might have overlooked, Mr Young replied…

“All I can remember after turning a bend at the bottom of the land, is running into a low mist and then this figure ran from right to left across the path of my car. The figure was that of a lady and I seem to recall that she was wearing a flowing gown or some sort of cape.”

etc....

http://www2.forteantimes.com/forum/view ... 984#434984
Compare and contrast! Ghostly activity said to originate in the same time period, but one connected to the dirt poor and the other to the horse-and-carriage set. There's also a water connection in the stories, a "village pond" and a "lake".

Any comments, especially from locals in the area?

PS: the modern Ordnance Survey map of the area shows a Mardleybury Farm (note spelling) about 1km west of Datchworth. The farm has a lake alongside, but there's no sign of a pond in Datchworth now.

And FWIW there is a Roman road just to the south of both.

http://tinyurl.com/ctjfrc

The first excerpt made me think of The Fog.
Perhaps the modern villagers are worried about a sneak revenge attack from the ghostly faily!

Back