• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Expressing Measurements Via Analogies & Comparisons

How big is New York in old Yorks?
Depends on whether you mean the City or the State though, doesn't it?
The city is 300.46 square miles in area.
So going by Max's estimate of the area of York, that would make it about 17.6 old Yorks.

So going by Max's estimate of the area of York, that would make it about 17.6 old Yorks.
How many Yorkie bars to an Old York?

Sorry made a minor mistake I should have taken York's area as 17 sq miles not 17.6 so its only 9,749,474,743 Yorkie bars to cover York not 10,093,573,851.

New York is about 275 “old” Yorks:

New York = 4,669 square miles

My Google Earth estimate of York’s area = 17 square miles

No, l didn’t have anything better to do. lsn’t my life great?

maximus otter

Actually, the 4,669 sq. mi. figure is the New York metropolitan area, which is more a concept of "The City of New York and environs" than it is New York itself. The City of New York land area is, as Trev says, 300.46. The state: 47,126.

I would do the equivalents, but I'm confused. Wikipedia says the City of York has a size of 105 square miles, but I agree that the size of the city looks more like 17 on Google. Can someone familiar with the political geography of the U.K. explain this to me?

How many Yorkie bars to an Old York?
I was going to figure this out, too, but @feen5 beat me to it. But how many Yorkie dogs equal one old York?

Wikipedia says the City of York has a size of 105 square miles
The Wikipedia entry is including the whole of the area defined by the district borders, not just the built up area of the City itself.
The City itself is (roughly) 3.3miles x 5.5miles.
See this map of the relevant boundaries.
(The pink line being the boundary of the city district, the green area being the City itself plus it's green belt, the built up area of the City itself are the grey central areas)
1648477331812.png

According to Google:
"The original Yorkie bar weighed 58g back in the 1970s, and over time shrunk to 52g, before increasing to a whopping 70g in the 2000s before settling at its current weight of 46g. They were biggest in the noughties but we do get a little more from our four fingers than we used to."
But not sure how this affects the area of the bar!

According to Google:
"The original Yorkie bar weighed 58g back in the 1970s, and over time shrunk to 52g, before increasing to a whopping 70g in the 2000s before settling at its current weight of 46g. They were biggest in the noughties but we do get a little more from our four fingers than we used to."
But not sure how this affects the area of the bar!
Not sure but I just went with the first figure I found which was 7 sq inch's. What I'm more worried about is whose going to skin several Yorkie dogs to get the average surface area of a small dog in order to do the calculation

What I'm more worried about is whose who's going to skin several Yorkie dogs to get the average surface area of a small dog in order to do the calculation
(FTFY)

Silly - you don't need to skin several Yorkie dogs - any similarly sized dogs would do. Or an equivalent sized mammal. Maybe one of those large rabbits? Or a combination of smaller mammals. Maybe 6 ferrets, or a dozen Guinea Pigs, multiplied up accordingly.

I watched another episode of 'Colossal Machines' last night.
This one dealing with 'Sea Monsters'.
Not as much of a bucket of delights as I was expecting but I did glean a few nuggets.
An Oil Platform (floating 'spar') which is 339 metres from top to bottom, making it taller than the Eiffel Tower.
The USS Nimitz Aircraft Carrier which is 330 metres long making it longer than The Titanic (however they did not make the comparison to the similar length of the oil platform or the Eiffel Tower, so now we'll never know which is larger. Maybe it's a government secret).
The nuclear reactors on the Nimitz produce enough electricity to power 200,000 homes (however they did not clarify what sort of homes, 'normal homes' or otherwise - what a lack of effort by the researchers there).
And then finally, The USS Zumwalt 'Stealth Destroyer' which, despite it's size, has a radar signature of a small fishing boat.
Below - The USS Zumwalt.
1648634572723.png

Picked up another couple from another episode of Colossal Machines last night - this episode dealing with aircraft.
The C5 Galaxy military cargo transport plane has over 880 cubic metres of cargo capacity, so it could hold 6 school buses (hopefully not filled with schoolkids, that'd be an unusual school trip).
Or it could carry the weight of 2 'battle ready' tanks (but they don't say if the tanks could actually fit in the cargo space, or which type of tanks).
The CH53 King Stallion helicopter has main rotor blades which are 24 metres across, twice the length of a standard telephone pole.

What about washing machines & "freedom units".?

The Space Needle
T-rex
Asian elephant
Washington monument

All in the same article, and all for the same object.
That's brilliant.
It also included (talking about another object);
"...this asteroid was very small, just about half the size of an average male giraffe"

So the next instalment of 'Colossal Machines' (Sub Zero) has not been as fruitful as I was hoping for, but it did manage to re-use a few of our old favourites in new ways.
So we learned that the 'rotary snow plough' used on trains in snowy places can remove 77,000 tonnes of snow per hour, which is equivalent to the weight of 35,000 cars (but no mention of which type of cars, not even clarifying with 'average' or 'normal').
We also learned that Arctic sea ice can be 5 metres thick, the height of a double-decker bus.
And the 'Arktika' ice-breaker ship is the length of 2 football fields at 170 metres, and as wide as a 10 storey building at 34 metres (I guess they mean as wide as the building is tall).
Also, each of it's 3 motors weighs 270 tonnes, as much as the average house.

I haven't seen a Top Trumps card like that before - what's the 'a-d' bit at the bottom about? It looks like it relates to the 8/b at the top?

Do you also have to guess which plane it is?

I haven't seen a Top Trumps card like that before - what's the 'a-d' bit at the bottom about? It looks like it relates to the 8/b at the top?

Do you also have to guess which plane it is?

It is the card format I grew up with.

The numbers/letter format, in this instance, groups together types of planes.

These are cargo/transporter planes.

My guess is that this helps you learn ore about planes rather than anything to do with winning the game, I never used them as part of competing, but perhaps if one had all of set B (or any other set) they could earn bonus points?

IIRC every single 'top trumps' pack we ever played with always had one 'killer' card with which you could win the game, unless it came up against something really weedy that had that one, single, stronger, obscure stat.

Anyway...as you were.

On the radio earlier, the comet approaching Saturn was described as having a 'diameter the same length as Cornwall' (I think that was the exact, and very clunky phrase, used!).

Why not just say xxx miles/kilometres, which would be more helpful? I can picture Cornwall but its length? Sixty miles or so at a guess...

The online version in the Mail (? i think) referred to it as 'the size of Wales'. I have posted it in the Comets thread.

Back