• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Expressing Measurements Via Analogies & Comparisons

How about the phrase "I was having a whale of a time"?
If you are just slightly amused, should you compare that to a smaller animal? "I was having two elephants of a time;

You could use different species of whale to connote different levels of enjoyment, thus a "Beluga Whale" of a time was only moderately distracting whilst a "Blue Whale" of a time would be the apex.

The least said of a "Sperm Whale" of a time the better.

You could use different species of whale to connote different levels of enjoyment, thus a "Beluga Whale" of a time was only moderately distracting whilst a "Blue Whale" of a time would be the apex.

The least said of a "Sperm Whale" of a time the better.

A 'narwhal' could describe something that was good fun, but somewhat hazardous if handled carelessly. Such as crystal meth, chainsaws, or a plus size vibrator.

And when I hear all of these random comparisons, especially related to sports or theatre venues, my response is "oh, that's much clearer".:roll:

I am often underwhelmed.

We had two sisters frequent our local several years ago, both very,very big. Not obese or disproportionate in any way, just very tall, very broad and heavy chested.
A visiting friend got into conversation with them and afterwards, when there was a suitable distance between he and they he summed up their size by stating, “Christ! You wouldn’t know whether to F**k em, or fight em”

We had two sisters frequent our local several years ago, both very,very big. Not obese or disproportionate in any way, just very tall, very broad and heavy chested.
A visiting friend got into conversation with them and afterwards, when there was a suitable distance between he and they he summed up their size by stating, “Christ! You wouldn’t know whether to F**k em, or fight em”
Perhaps both, leaving the rest of the night free.

How many Indias are you away from India?

FkhEaLiXwAICEH_.jpeg.jpg

This article is rather misleading, as the Carlos numerical system is the only one in existence where number 2 is the first integer after zero.

This system evolved around the important problem of differentiating between the numerical value of ‘one Carlos’ and the former king of Spain. (King Juan Carlos’ nominal value is actually Carlos X 100 - this equates to only Carlos X 99 in other numerical systems, due to the absent one Carlos.)

The proper formula in this instance would be:

1 x big fuck off old turtle = (3X Carlos) minus (2X Carlos)

Franco solved the problem by having all the mathematicians shot and then introducing the Pedrocimal system, which only went up to nine until his death in 1975 (or the year Pedro X 9 X 9 X 8 X 3 + 31 Pedros, as it would have been written at the time.)

Edit: And to anyone who picks up on the obvious anachronism in the above - I grant that some of the historical detail is open to interpretation.

Last edited:
Was he Carlos Fandango?
(Famous for his 'wonder wheels')
*** see underneath for additional info on this advert.

My dad made this car for the advert when he worked in film and tv.

According to the article stopping asteroids from hitting Earth doesn't involve emperor penguins.

Well what bloody species of penguin are you going to use then? I need to know.

Well, there are 18 species of Penguin and none of them appear to have any kind of astronomical deflection capability.
But have they tried?

Good point.
I figure it's highly unlikely.
AFAIK the nearest 'they' have got is firing chickens into jet engines. And in the battle between chicken and jet engine there is no winner.
Jet-fried chicken? Winner, winner...

I'm not so sure about 'jet fried'...more likely 'jet mangled'

If an average pug weighs about 7kgs I wouldn't like to be hit by 100 of them travelling at around 18km/s.

Was your visiting friend an Aussie...by perchance?

How big is it really? Opinions seem to differ.

small lorry-sized asteroid
An asteroid the size of a delivery truck
An asteroid about the size of a giraffe
An asteroid the size of a double decker bus
An asteroid the size of a van
the same size as the largest African elephants
Tiny asteroid to pass close by Earth today

Back