• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Extremely Unusual Dream Experiences

Awestruck_

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
I watched "Waking Life," (highly recommend), the other night. It got me thinking about some of the unusual dream experiences I've had. (I'd like to share later if that's OK.) I would love to hear other's experiences involving really unusual dream experiences. Particularly things like visiting other's dreams, shared dreams, prolonged lucid dreaming, encountering people/beings that you believed were not "regular" dream characters, major social (not personal) premonitions, or any others that are truly out of the norm.

A number of years ago I had a really clear dream that I was in my flat with my daughter and another child. The flat had slight differences, such as windows in places where I haven't got them and a glass door that opened onto a balcony over-looking a petrol garage that doesn't exist in reality. Well, I could smell gas, so I grabbed the children ran down the stairs and across the road. I turned to see the build explode and then woke up. Shortly after I tell my other half about it. Two days later a report on the news stated that a family, with small children, managed to escape a block of flats just before a gas explosion.

As a child I dreamt that my Dad was sitting in a chair, with my Mother sitting on the arm. She had a large blue plastic box on her lap and was talking about the gas bill. I got up and went down stairs to be greeted with exactly the same scene.

Really interesting! The second experience sounds so much like a sleep-exit out of body experience. Sweet dreams...

I know you can have recurring dreams, but what about recurring characters in dreams? Three times I've met a guy in a dream who was tall and had dark hair, but I can never make out his face, I never know what his name is. I haven't seen him for a long time though! I thought it might have been some sort of premonition thing when I met a guy in real life who's tall has dark hair and due to my myopic status and not wearing my glasses I couldn't make out his face, I was convinced he was the "man of my dreams" [literally] and started -mentally- organising my wedding [like you do!], but he persistantly gave me the bums rush and after a couple of years I gave up and haven't spoken to him since ... then one night I had a dream where I was at my own wedding reception, I was getting cross because I hadn't chosen my dress, my bridesmaids, the cake, any of it, I demanded to know why and was told the groom had organised everything [without consulting me!], so I marched off to tell him what I thought of him, I started to wake up, but I wanted to know who I'd "married" so I fell back asleep, and picked up marching over to the groom, when I got face to face I jumped so hard in shock that I woke myself up ... the dream groom was the guy I'd hoped to marry in real life. I'm sure there's some sort of Freudean explanation ... :)

You'll hopefully meet him Lobelia. I used to dream about my hubcap when he was just a co-worker. he was always behind me and to the right. When we finally started going out, he was then by my side in dreams, and there he stayed (ahh). Before I even met him, I would dream about a blond man in a top hat (no, it wasn't Tom Petty :cross eye ), and I was told it was my animus, that is the male counterpart of me. When I dreamed about my Hubcap, I realised it was him all along. Sick making, but true.

If I ever remember dreams, it's usually because they have odd imagery involved. One of these I once shared with my mum. Basically, I was walking around a scrapyard at night and found alot of old cabinet freezers lying around. Every time I opened one, flames would leap out, which were cold instead of hot. In amongst the flames was a human body curled up.

Gawd knows what that one meant!

If you'll accept an interpretation from a middle aged woman the worse for drink (is there anything sadder?:p )
I think it means you have something you're hiding. You have guilt about something, it may be misplaced guilt, but you need to dig it out and deal with it.
On the other hand, you may have eaten cheese.

TO ALL

Thank you all for sharing some of your dreams. They are all interesting. Something else I'd love to hear about. Does anyone believe they have had an out-of-body experience via their dreams? Please share.

For my part, I've had several interesting dreams, but the one that I think is the most interesting is when I visited someone else's dream. I wonder if this happens more often than we might think, but we're unaware of it?

In this dream I was just going about my dream business, walking down a road to someplace, when I was "pulled" to a small hill that I was passing by in a country landscape. I climbed the hill, and when I was near the top I felt a strong need to hide behide a bush before looking to see what was on the other side. I parted the branches and looked. It was rather dark, but I could see a group of people dressed in skins, some holding things in their hands, singing and dancing in a circle around a fire. I was too far away to make out individual faces. All the time I was watching I had the feeling that I was doing something wrong. The feeling became so strong that I stopped watching and made my way back down the hill. I felt ashamed, although I didn't understand way, and then continued on with the rest of my regular dream.

I remembered this dream in the morning, but didn't think much about it, and didn't share it with anyone. Later that day my ex and I were driving somewhere when she started telling me about the dream she had the night before. Yes, it was what I had seen from the top of the hill.

I had the most appalling dream about a week ago.

I dreamed that there was a severed hand, a womans, with long fingernails, in my bedroom running around. It was about to kill me and I had that awful sensation where you wake up in the dream and saw it coming to get me.

As it came to get me I woke up (again still dreaming) and this happened a few times before I actually woke up.

When I finally did wake up I was in such a state that my partner had to walk with me around the house looking behind doors, in the bath and in cupboards to check that it really wasn't there and it really was a dream.

Still, a large mug of milk and honey and a box of tissues later I went back to bed, with all the windows and doors shut!

Still creeps me out!

I posted on the Dreams thread in Chat about a dream i had a week or so ago that I was dead. That was pretty awful.

Oh, and welcome back Emmy, where ya been?

Dont know if this is more a dream experience or an instance of hypnogogic/pompic (forget which is which) imagary.

I have a very vivid memmory from when i was a child where I 'saw' in my sleep a spider crawling towards me. It was just a grey image in front of a dark red background (the colour you get when you close your eyes)

I then woke up and opened my eyes to find said eight legged freak scrabbling up my duvet towards me, cue much screaming and summoning of my Dad to remove it.

I hate spiders now, but I was terrified of them as a kid and I can only think that I sensed it somehow and my subconcious was trying to warn me. Anyone have any other explanation?

Dream déja vu?

Does anyone else have what I call "dream déja vu"?

Occasionally I'll have dreams where I'm vaguely aware that I'm dreaming, but convinced that it's either a continuation or variation of something I've dreamed days or weeks previously.

Even upon waking I'll think "oh, I dreamt something similar before" despite not being actually able to place when. Then I'll get very confused and have to have a lot of coffee.

So. Is it just me?

I've had serial dreams wherein the dream's story is concluded or continued a few nights later. In one memorable occassion the episodes were dreamt out of sequence (resulting in my wish to be able video my own dreams).

I also dream in multiple formats from sequential art through to psychedelic multicolour...

Niles "Dream-meister" Calder

I had a prettty nasty one about a week ago that involved a train crash.

From what I can recall there were 2 sections, one where I was on the train and one in a station.
The first part was where I seemed to be in a compartment looking forward. I could see through the people and the train and onto the track ahead, where a figure was standing. The thing was it was at the point of impact I saw this. Chaos ensued in the compartment.
The second part was in a huge station with multiple terraced levels and staircases. Hundreds(or a least a lot) of people (injured) where laying around moving and generally acting like 'walking wounded'. I remember seeing a severed leg in a white sock poking out of a container or pile of something. I also remember running round a lot.

:confused:

Lucid or Not? Can't decide.

I had an inexplicable dream last night. (We had been discussing lucid dreaming and watching "Annie Hall"), so I was walking in NY in the dream, looking at Brooklyn Bridge, which was being dismantled. I said to Hubcap "why do I always dream about bridges being dismantled?" At which point I realised I was dreaming and could turn it into a lucid one! So to cut a long story short, I jumped off a bridge, deciding to try flying. Then I woke up. Except I didn't, I dreamed I woke, and was telling someone about the dream, and how it was rare for me to lucid-dream, and how pleased I was. Then I really woke up.
So, was I really directing the jump from the bridge? Or was it the dream me? Would I have flown? Or would I have plunged to my death? :madeyes:

I've had a sort of dream deja vu in that I have gone some places or been in certain situations that have triggered a memory of a dream. Rather than normal deja vu's sense of having been there before, I have fully remembered a dream that I have previously had. I suppose it could be an over active imagination or something but I have often experienced normal deja vu too, and both experiences are distinct.

I used to dream about being chased through a badly lit multi story car park, scared the life out of me, you know how you can never run when you're dreaming? Well one night I somehow or other realised it was a dream [while I was dreaming] and I told myself to run ... and run I did! I never had that dream again, but I frequently realise I'm dreaming and "take control" and do what I darn well please!! :D it's great fun ...

A good many of the dreams I have seem to have a highly violent theme: things like blood, gore, murder, death, chaos, suicide, inescapable death....that sort of macabre thing. A very good example is the dream I had last night of a killer indiscriminately murdering people around him, and one of these people he killed that were trying to flee him was my father (and I can still hear me shouting in my dream "You utter, utter b@stard!!!"). Another one I had was of me dying horribly by some unknown bugger who chased me thru the dream until he finally trapped me in a public toilet stall and shot me several times. I awoke as a died, but the horrible thing was that I felt every single one of those bullets go thru me...and my entire torso hurt like hell upon waking up. Then of course, the dream from which I'd awoken from which I was so certain that I'd gone and murdered my entire family in my sleep. I was convinced that I'd find bloody sheets and hands and a bloody knife in the kitchen sink. Further to that, I was also certain that something was standing just outside my door, waiting for me to exit. I pretty much kept myself tied to the bed for the next 2 weeks while I slept. Guess who has pretty frequent panic attacks due to awakening from a particularly harrowing dream. I was heavily traumatised for the duration fo that month and deadly scared of the darkness for a while after that (slept with a night light on, something I hadn't done since I was 6).

If anyone wishes to offer ANY suggestion I'd be VERY welcome to hear them because I'm pretty much at my wits' end about my dreams. These aren't normal nightmares because they lack the internal nonsense that are inherent to dreams; I have the odd nightmare to know the difference....I'm not scared of what happens in these dreams until after I wake up. And no, I don't consume either coffee or cheese before bed ;) I've started a course on lucid dreaming to try and help me thru these but we'll see how that goes, won't we?

Sweet dreams....

I used to have very vivid dreams when I was in very restrictive and stressful circumstances. The less freedom of movement, thought , or action I had, the more vivid and active the dream.

In some circumstances, where no `real world' solution was possible, expiation and outlet came in the dream world.

I remember one dream, when I'd just got out from under, in a situation where I'd felt very trapped and unhappy, I had a ultra vivid dream about being taken aboard the Nautilus by a female work colleague and travelling by submarine to an island fairground. The fairground hid rotting cardboard and vomit behind the bright lights and paint.

The underwater trip represented a tour into my subconscious, guided by my anima, showing me the falsity and illusion of the `real world.' It was a kind of release valve, a psychic sigh of relief. I was relieved to be free, but also leaving security for uncertainty!

Oedipal dreams are the stuff of Freud. In the restrictive, suppressive and repressed world late 19th, early 20th century Vienna, they must have been very vivid, violent, frequent and common.

Perhaps personal circumstances are just too restrictive and it is time to make a break. However, seemingly comfortable the circumstances. Time to step into a new relationship with the world. To become the grown up?

Life is also pretty relentless. It comes at you and yours like a truck. Part of the whole deal.

I was supposed to be going on a sponsored walk yesterday, but didn't because [as I insisted] I'd had a call on my mobile early in the morning from the organiser saying the walk had been postponed due to the bad weather. My phone has no numbers listed under the "recieved call" thingy, therefore it must have been a dream ... but it was sooo real :confused: and several years ago, I didn't speak to a [female] friend of mine for weeks after she threw me out of her house during a heated argument [that she was losing! :) ], she phoned me one day to enquire as to where I was, and after a bit of muttering and mumbling, I agreed to meet up with her for coffee, and turns out the heated argument had been an all-too-real-dream :eek!!!!:
Oh and/ Fayyaad, have you ever tried regressive hypnosis? Either you were a victim of a gangland/mob hit in a past life, or something else entirely :)

when i eventually got to sleep last night I had a weird dream about walking around Doncaster(thats possibly weird enough) and climbing down a hole near the north bus station and fining myself hanging on the roof of a large swimming pool deciding whether to dive:confused:

punychicken said:
I had a prettty nasty one about a week ago that involved a train crash.

From what I can recall there were 2 sections, one where I was on the train and one in a station.
The first part was where I seemed to be in a compartment looking forward. I could see through the people and the train and onto the track ahead, where a figure was standing. The thing was it was at the point of impact I saw this. Chaos ensued in the compartment.
The second part was in a huge station with multiple terraced levels and staircases. Hundreds(or a least a lot) of people (injured) where laying around moving and generally acting like 'walking wounded'. I remember seeing a severed leg in a white sock poking out of a container or pile of something. I also remember running round a lot.

:confused:

Wonder if this a premontition of the Bali bombing?

Concentrating on switching that light on...

I first experienced lucid dreaming after reading one of Carlos Castaneda's early books.

Just reading the descriptions of the sjaman, Don Juan, guiding his apprentice on dream flights, was enough to trigger the whole experience off. Perhaps, just knowing it's possible, is enough to wake up inside, and start taking control.

Always remember to look down at your hands, you're running the ship! :cool:

I'm alway to bloody tired to remember the bloody things these days, never mind pilot them. :(

When I was a kid, I'd used to have recurring dreams about a large black dog chasing and cornering me. I told my mom, and she said it was the devil coming to get me because I was a bad girl. Sigh, and they wonder why I needed therapy.

I also used to dream that I had an enormous thumb. Like, it was gigantic, the size of my entire body, and I just had to live with it.

A few nights ago I had one that had a recurring theme: I have to get to a certain floor (in this case it was the 15th) and I take the elevator, but for some reason it only goes up to a certain floor (this time it was the 14th) and I always end up wandering around this floor that almost always appears to be a hospital wing smack in the middle of a hotel/mall/whatever till I wake up.

I don't like these dreams much.

Edited to add: My brother had a dream that rather unnerved him at the start of summer. Our family had just recently moved into a new house my folks had built out in the middle of the woods, dirt road, deer in our yard, the whole thing. Well, in his dream the walls suddenly started dripping blood, and he had to get everyone out. He drove our van, but as hard as he pressed the gas petal, it would only go about 2 MPH, and the he felt like the vehicle was sinking into the driveway. When he looked back at the house, lights were going on and off in weird patterns. Then our cousins showed up with some sailors, but that's an entirely different story. :)

Even upon waking I'll think "oh, I dreamt something similar before" despite not being actually able to place when. Then I'll get very confused and have to have a lot of coffee.

So. Is it just me?

WTF that happens to me all the time...no shit it realy does ..kinda wierd aint it?

I often get dreams where I'm in a fight but can't put any force behind my punches, I've had this so often now I've trained myself in dreams to pick up something sharp to hit people with so the lack of force makes no difference...this scares me!

The short sighted members of the forum - do you dream as if you had your glasses on, or as if you were without?

Thanks

Up to the age of about 15 I had a certain dream probably every 2-3 days, I could never remember what happened, it was just incredibly scary and it sometimes got to the point where I would be scared to sleep. Basically all I could ever remember of it was me stood somewhere, and something was getting closer and closer that would of harmed me (in the dream at least) had it got any closer before I woke up. I can't remember exactly what but I always remember it involved some sort of blocks, but it may of been something like the floor falling away or something, thats the idea, but I've never been able to explain exactly what it was, it would always get progressively closer and more intense in stages. I never discussed it with anyone, but every so often whilst enjoying my waking life I would experience something that reminded me of the dream. When the dreams stopped I still occasionally experienced things that would remind me of the dream. At 18 I finally mentioned it to someone, my Girlfriend, without me saying much she immediately knew what I was talking about and could explain how it felt, she too had experienced these dreams. Neither of us have since experienced these dreams to this day (I'm still with her) but very occasionally we (individually) experience things that remind us of those dreams.

Ioethe said:
The short sighted members of the forum - do you dream as if you had your glasses on, or as if you were without?

Always have 20/20 vision in dreams, despite becoming shortsighted in reall ife. Can't have everything, I suppose...!

Ioethe said:

Thanks

Funny...I've never thought abt it... and now that I DO think abt it.. I seem to have perfect vision in my dreams. My glasses never seem to appear in dreams, which leads me to suspect that glasses don't dream...

Back