• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Eyes As Witness (Final Retinal Image Retained; Optography)

A

Anonymous

i cant put me hand on it now but i remeber reading a crime report in a Cillin WIlson book probably of a Murder where the murderer shot out the eyes of his victim, as it was a prevelent belife at that time (i think it was 40's or 50's) that the eyes retained an image after death... i seem to remeber one of the ripper victims being examined for this as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
sidecar_jon said:
i cant put me hand on it now but i remeber reading a crime report in a Cillin WIlson book probably of a Murder where the murderer shot out the eyes of his victim, as it was a prevelent belife at that time (i think it was 40's or 50's) that the eyes retained an image after death... i seem to remeber one of the ripper victims being examined for this as well.

This belief was also popular in Kenya a few years back, when critics of those in power often died in 'car accidents' and lost their eyes in the process.

My two cents

The belief that the eyes retain the final image on the retina, and that it could theoretically be photographed is of Victorian origin. I suspect its got some roots in the folk belief that a murdered corpse would bleed in the presence of the killer.

I'm astounded that I cannot find any reference within the FTMB regarding optography (I presume this subject, perhaps under a different name, must have been discussed on the forum, though I only remember reading of it in the magazine). (EDIT we have of course discussed it here. It is, at least in part, a Mythopoeikon, is it not @Mythopoeika ?)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optography

Optography is the process of viewing or retrieving an optogram, an image on the retina of the eye. A belief that the eye "recorded" the last image seen before death was widespread in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, and was a frequent plot device in fiction of the time, to the extent that police photographed the victims' eyes in several real-life murder investigations, in case the theory was true. The concept has been repeatedly debunked as a forensic method.

I find it ironic (but, hardly-admissible in any sense, other than the context of our discussions) that reportedly the only instance of Optography upon a human subject allegedly shows an non-witnessed pre-mortem virtual visualisation (Reif's eyes being covered pre-execution, the shaky implication being that he 'thought' the image into his own eyes).

A more detailed review of optography's history appeared in this article:

Arthur B. Evans, Optograms and Fiction: Photo in a Dead Man’s Eye,
SCIENCE-FICTION STUDIES, XX:3 #61, (Nov. 1993): 341-61

... which is reproduced on this 2007 webpage:

http://jv.gilead.org.il/evans/optogram.html

The main problem with the concept is that it naively equates the eye's operations with those of a camera. This is, of course, a useful analogy as far as lenses and focusing are concerned. It completely breaks down when one gets to the image capture aspect.

The retina is not a photographic plate, nor is it an organized pixel array, that provides a one-to-one point mapping between incoming light and a coherent image produced upon it (the retina). The image you consciously perceive is a construction of 'back end' brain processing on the neural signals from the retina (which, in effect, is merely the virtual antenna).

In the late 19th century the notion of optograms and optography reflected analogies presumptively drawn between current technologies and the current level of understanding how human sensory / cognitive systems operate. The fact that these were the analogies arising within that historical context is no big surprise.

Another, more tangential, comment ...

The Wikipedia article mentions the 1924 German murder case of one Fritz Angerstein, who was convicted and executed. Angerstein was confronted with alleged optographic evidence implicating him as the killer. However, his conviction was based on the confession he gave after being told of the optographic evidence.

My point is that the sole cited example of optography's usefulness in a forensic / crime-fighting context has to do with its merit as stagecraft supporting psychological intimidation rather than scientific proof per se. This limited scope of utility arguably applies to polygraphy as well.

Another, more tangential, comment ...

The Wikipedia article mentions the 1924 German murder case of one Fritz Angerstein, who was convicted and executed. Angerstein was confronted with alleged optographic evidence implicating him as the killer. However, his conviction was based on the confession he gave after being told of the optographic evidence.

My point is that the sole cited example of optography's usefulness in a forensic / crime-fighting context has to do with its merit as stagecraft supporting psychological intimidation rather than scientific proof per se. This limited scope of utility arguably applies to polygraphy as well.

There was a famous murder case in the early 20th century where a policeman was murdered by a couple of thugs. They stabbed out his eyes to prevent his identifying them after death because they believed a common superstition at the time, that the last thing a person sees is recorded in their eyes.

Can't find the case online, curses.

There was a famous murder case in the early 20th century where a policeman was murdered by a couple of thugs. They stabbed out his eyes to prevent his identifying them after death because they believed a common superstition at the time, that the last thing a person sees is recorded in their eyes.

If I recall correctly, the 2007 webpage I cited above (post #12) mentioned this was a common belief in Russian circles, but Russians asked about this tale denied having heard it.

The murder I was recalling was a British case. It's in one of my crime books somewhere.

I think I have also read reference to the eyes being poked out of murder victims somewhere along the lines.

I'm astounded that I cannot find any reference within the FTMB regarding optography (I presume this subject, perhaps under a different name, must have been discussed on the forum, though I only remember reading of it in the magazine). (EDIT we have of course discussed it here. It is, at least in part, a Mythopoeikon, is it not @Mythopoeika ?)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optography

Hasn't optography been largely debunked? Or at least there is no real evidence. It keeps coming up in fiction, but that doesn't make it any more valid.

It was an old Victorian belief that the retinas of corpses might contain the image of their assassins. I have a macabre short film on the subject in the archives somewhere. Some even speculated that the last thing a good man saw was God*. So that was his retinas off to the developing-tank!
References for these might take some time but I am not making this up, as the great Anna Russell used to say! :wcry:

*One day you may get Edenhall, a long-delayed novel, based on such crazily endless research!

Last edited:
"last image seen on the retinas" plot

I've not got that one, though I have heard of it. Must look it up. :pthumbsup:

The short film I have tracked down: it was Preserve, directed by Victoria Harwood in 1999 and shown on Channel 4, 26.11.2002

It is just 11 minutes long. I think it managed to included some flirtation between photographer and medic but it is over 13 years since I saw it! The setting was Edwardian, I think. Time I fired up the VHS for these brief, long-forgotten gems!

Meanwhile, there is a mainly appreciative review from 2002 on IMDB.

:omr:

Last edited:
Optography and optograms

What is the last thing we see before death? For a long time scientists have wondered whether, since the eye is like a camera, it might be possible to capture an image of our final vision. Derek Ogbourne, an artist in whose work eyes are a common recurring motif, has been using the resources of the BOA Museum and Library to explore the story of this fascinating though macabre science. ...

This College of Optometrists (UK) webpage:

https://www.college-optometrists.or...-vision-gallery/optography-and-optograms.html

... provides a summary history of optography and optograms.

This 2016 Smithsonian article provides more on optography's history and attempted usage in criminal investigation. It also provides links to other resources on the subject.
How Forensic Scientists Once Tried to “See” a Dead Person’s Last Sight

Scientists once believed that the dead’s last sight could be resolved from their extracted eyeballs

"Image on her retina may show girl's slayer," reads a headline from a 1914 article in The Washington Times. ...

A 20-year-old woman, Theresa Hollander, had been beaten to death and her body found in a cemetery. But the fact that her eyes were still open gave her family hope: Perhaps the last thing she saw—presumably the face of her murderer—was imprinted like a the negative of a photograph on her retinas, writes Lindsey Fitzharris for The Chirurgeon's Apprentice.

Accordingly, a photograph of the woman's retina's was taken, "at the suggestion of a local oculist, who told police that the retina would show the last object within her vision before she became unconscious," The Times reported. The grand jury would see the image on Saturday.

Though it may sound like folly these days, many believed in these statements at the time, which was a period of riveting developments in both biology and photography. People were well aware of the similarities between the structure of the human eye and that of a camera, so the idea that the eye could capture and hold an image didn't seem so far fetched. Indeed, some experiments made it seem possible. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smar...-tried-see-dead-persons-last-sight-180959157/

It's said that a close up of the eyes of the last of Jack the Ripper's Canonical victims, Mary Jane Kelly, was taken for this reason. If it is true, the photograph has not survived

This 2013 academic paper from Progress in Brain Research would seem to be a good reference on the subject. The abstract (only) is accessible online.

Optograms and criminology: science, news reporting, and fanciful novels.

Lanska DJ1.

Abstract

A persistent nineteenth-century urban legend was the notion that photograph-like images of the last-seen object or person would be preserved in the eyes of the dead. This popular notion followed technological developments (the daguerreotype and ophthalmoscope) that antedated by decades a basic understanding of retinal physiology. From 1876 to 1877, Boll described photochemical bleaching of the retina and produced a crude retinal image that remained briefly visible after death in an experimental animal. From 1877 to 1881, Kühne elaborated the processes involved in photochemical transduction, and created more complex retinal images, or "optograms," that were visible after the death of experimental animals under special laboratory circumstances. In 1880, Kühne reported the first human "optogram" when he examined the eyes following the state execution of a convicted murderer. Although the work of these physiologists increased public interest in "optography" as a potential tool in forensic investigations, Kühne and his student, Ayres, concluded after an extensive series of investigations that optography would never be useful for this purpose. Nevertheless, because of the prior tantalizing results, optography became a frequent consideration in speculative news reports of sensational unsolved murders, and as a plot device in works of fiction, some quite fantastical. Fictional portrayals included works by Rudyard Kipling and Jules Verne. Despite denouncement of optography for forensic investigations by Kühne, and by numerous physicians, the general public and mass media continued to press for examination of the retinae of murder victims well into the twentieth century, particularly in high-profile unsolved cases.
Progress in Brain Research 2013;205:55-84. doi: 10.1016/B978-0-444-63273-9.00004-6.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24290260

Can't find the case online, curses.

It was the murder of PC 489 George William Gutteridge on 27.9.27 in Essex.

george_gutteridge-600.jpg

PC Gutteridge, a WW1 veteran of the Machine Gun Corps, stopped a car at about 0400hrs on the road between Romford and Ongar, not knowing that it had just been stolen from Billericay.

One of the car’s occupants, Frederick Guy Browne, shot the officer twice in the left cheek. PC Gutteridge staggered back and fell to the ground. Browne and his accomplice William Henry Kennedy exited the car and walked to the injured officer. Browne then murdered PC Gutteridge by firing a .455 bullet into each of his eyes.

Several accounts of the murder giving more details here.

l believe that it was one of the first, if not the very first, cases where microscopic examination of fired bullets, cartridge cases and a revolver were pivotal in securing a conviction.

Another officer in Liverpool nearly shared PC Gutteridge’s fate: when he approached Kennedy to arrest him, Kennedy pushed a handgun into the officer’s ribs and pulled the trigger, but the weapon failed to fire.

Both the offenders were hanged.

maximus otter

Last edited:
Back