• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Face Blindness / Prosopagnosia

I have the same problem. I like fillums with people of different races as they're easier to follow! :lol:

Can't understand ones where people impersonate each other - not a cat in hell's chance of following those. :roll:

meowfur said:
EXACTLY!! I didn't know other people were like this! I had the deuce of a time with the movie "The Departed," because while I know they're two different people, I could NOT tell Matt Damon from Leonardo DiCaprio in this film. And since the plot involved much double dealing, I was thoroughly lost.

I've heard that about The Departed a few times, funnily enough. They do look similar in that film, I suppose, but this one invites those confusions, so it seems.

I don't have face blindness but sometimes I can't exactly remember people's faces...a while ago I confused this guy's face with this old man's face, but then when I saw the actual guy I recognized him. They just looked so similar and the young guy looks old and the old guy looked young and I've only seen the young guy a few times...

gncxx said:
meowfur said:
EXACTLY!! I didn't know other people were like this! I had the deuce of a time with the movie "The Departed," because while I know they're two different people, I could NOT tell Matt Damon from Leonardo DiCaprio in this film. And since the plot involved much double dealing, I was thoroughly lost.

I've heard that about The Departed a few times, funnily enough. They do look similar in that film, I suppose, but this one invites those confusions, so it seems.

Did the beard not help? I thought you'd be more likely to confuse Matt Damon with Mark Wahlberg.

Dr_Baltar said:
Did the beard not help? I thought you'd be more likely to confuse Matt Damon with Mark Wahlberg.

No - no problem AT ALL with Mark Wahlberg. :wow:

One of them had a beard? Huh. Nope, didn't notice that either.

I reckon it was a trick beard. They passed it around between themselves to confuse us.

meowfur said:
Little_grey_lady said:
I have it too - like the OP films are often very difficult for me to understand sometimes. For example if two actresses are brunette and similar build, I have been known to watch for over an hour, assuming they are both the same character.... much confusion taking place as a result.

Funnily enough, I'm more or less fine in real life. I do struggle if a friend has had a hair cut/change of colour but otherwise apart from my short sightedness, I manage.

It's pathetic how relieved I am to find other people who have this issue. :)

YEY... same here :D Matt and Leonardo could be identical twins as far as I'm concerned! Culturally on a slightly lower note, Neighbours at the moment has two women - Dannielle and Tash who I spent a month thinking was the same character... they could be twins as well.

I think we need to form a support group and petition the government for benefits. After all, blind people don't need to pay a licence fee for the TV so maybe we should only pay half?

Little_grey_lady said:
I think we need to form a support group and petition the government for benefits. After all, blind people don't need to pay a licence fee for the TV so maybe we should only pay half?

I LIKE the way you think. ;)

``

I don't have the problem with films, but I do have it in the real world. I've failed to recognize my paternal grandfather, my younger brother (with whom I lived for the first 27 years of his life), an uncle, cousins, school teachers, as well as current girlfriends and close personal chums.

That's the worst manifestion of the condition. According to the Wikipedia entry :roll: on prospoganosia, Penn Jillette of the illusionist duo Penn and Teller also has this condition, and supposedly did not recognize his own mother on at least one occasion.

Penn Jillette, hmm, used to fancy'im. :lol:

I'd make sure he remembered my face. Or summat. :twisted:

I also have Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (I'm past leader (and current substitute leader) of the main OCD support group in my metropolitan area) as well as (self-diagnosed) Aspergers Syndrome.

So there might be a connection to "face blindness."

Of couse the fact that I'm severely myopic probably doesn't help things either. :)

escargot1 said:
Penn Jillette, hmm, used to fancy'im. :lol:

I'd make sure he remembered my face. Or summat. :twisted:

CERTAINLY he'd remember the naval jewel.

:lol:

OldTimeRadio said:
I also have Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (I'm past leader (and current substitute leader) of the main OCD support group in my metropolitan area) as well as (self-diagnosed) Aspergers Syndrome.

So there might be a connection to "face blindness."

Of couse the fact that I'm severely myopic probably doesn't help things either. :)

OCD - I have that too. My doctor finally found a drug that helps immensely. I hate taking meds, but I hate the OCD more. I kept thinking I could control it if I just tried HARD enough. I knew that was a fallacy, for other folks, but I figured I could exhibit self control.

Wrong. :nooo:

OTR, does the support group work for you?

This newly published research article describes the discovery of an interconnected network of brain components which - if damaged or corrupted - are strongly associated with acquired prosopagnosia. This research provides a significant breakthrough in understanding which neural components are affected in prosopagnosia.

Here are the bibliographic particulars and some excerpts from the abstract ...

Looking beyond the face area: lesion network mapping of prosopagnosia
Alexander L Cohen, Louis Soussand, Sherryse L Corrow, Olivier Martinaud, Jason J S Barton, Michael D Fox
Brain, awz332, https://doi.org/10.1093/brain/awz332

Abstract
Damage to the right fusiform face area can disrupt the ability to recognize faces, a classic example of how damage to a specialized brain region can disrupt a specialized brain function. However, similar symptoms can arise from damage to other brain regions, and face recognition is now thought to depend on a distributed brain network. The extent of this network and which regions are critical for facial recognition remains unclear. Here, we derive this network empirically based on lesion locations causing clinically significant impairments in facial recognition. ...

We conclude that lesions causing prosopagnosia localize to a single functionally connected brain network defined by connectivity to the right fusiform face area and to left frontal regions. Implications of these findings for models of facial recognition deficits are discussed.

FULL ARTICLE: https://academic.oup.com/brain/advance-article/doi/10.1093/brain/awz332/5628038

This personal commentary piece was written by a man who's had problems with prosopagnosia his whole life. He discusses the above-cited research in relation to his own condition and that of his son - diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder (ASD) and similarly challenged at facial recognition.
Your Face Confuses Me. My Condition Could Help Understand My Son's Brain

My brain can't tell the difference between Ryan Reynolds and Ryan Gosling. And the Hollywood Chrises? Yeah... forget it. I have a condition called prosopagnosia, which means I have no talent when it comes to recognising people.

My son has a similar issue. As somebody on the autism spectrum, he also struggles with reading faces. New research suggests that by studying brains similar to mine, we might be able to better understand brains like his. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.sciencealert.com/your-f...ondition-could-help-understand-my-son-s-brain

Back