• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Faceless Ghosts

titch

Justified & Ancient
I was at a spooky london talk last night, the subject was the Morton Case and the speaker when talking about how the ghost would be seen with a handkerchief covering her face, made the observation that it is quite common for ghosts to have their facial features obscured, he said that whatever the agency is that makes us see ghosts seems to have trouble with faces. This struck a cord with me as when he was 14 my best friend seen a ghost, a white lady, with no face, he could observe the details of her dress and her (fit) figure, but her face was obscured.

Would a ghost with an obscured face be an argument against this particular ghost being a replay (the replay would have its face as visible as the rest of the ghost) or a figment of your imagination (you should be able to imagine a face, you see them all the time)

has anybody seen a ghost that had its face hidden ?

Sounds like a regurgitation of the old cliché where ghosts would appear with sheets over their heads, like the shrouds I suppose. Can't recall an actual account mentioning such a thing, however.

There are the hoodies of the spirit world of course, the ghost monks, if they count?

An person who was a close friend of mine years back insisted that in the cemetary near her she saw a woman in old fashioned clothes and a bonnet dancing. As she approached, the woman turned and she had just an empty black space under the bonnet, from which she emitted a scream before vanishing. This friend always claimed to have psychic experiences, but personally, I don't believe her on this one.

There was a story like that which scared the crap out of me as a kid, probably bollocks as it was in a tabloid paper, it was about a miner who was working in an area by himself and saw the back of another miner that he didn't recognise, when he went over to speak to him, the other miner turned around and had no face. :eek:

The story wasn't explicit about what it meant by 'no face' but the idea is really not something you ever want to find out firsthand. :eek:

Ah, and here we are, actually later than I thought, 1987:

Faceless Miner
Cotgrave (Nottinghamshire) - Cotgrave Colliery
Type: Haunting Manifestation
Date / Time: October 1987
Further Comments: Gary Pine, while at work in a mine shaft, watched a man dressed in black clothing wearing a helmet walk through a wall. Pine said that the figure had no face.

http://www.paranormaldatabase.com/reports/colliery.php

There's a story somewhere on these boards...somewhere in IHTM I'd guess....from someone who encountered a man with no eyes just smooth face. IIRC the man was wearing sunglasses and if I'm right he had drawn eyes on. we thought it might be cancer of the eyes.

Sounds like she's watched far too many movies. :p

Or perhaps that 1970's British show that had the nun with no face in the rocking chair at the top of the stairs.

One of my Aunts tells a story of the time her Father came back from the grave to rouse her. She awoke to the sound of someone calling her name and advising her to go check on her young son, in another bedroom. She recognised her Father by his voice, his stance and clothing but couldn't see his face, not exactly headless, but a reluctance to look above his shoulder line would be closer to describing the 'visit'.

When she went to check on her son, there was a very strong smell of gas, that wasn't detectable in her room. Needless to say, she felt very strongly her Father had returned to save her son. She was adamant that you cannot see the face of a ghost you knew when they were alive.

There was a story like that which scared the crap out of me as a kid, probably bollocks as it was in a tabloid paper, it was about a miner who was working in an area by himself and saw the back of another miner that he didn't recognise, when he went over to speak to him, the other miner turned around and had no face. :eek:

The story wasn't explicit about what it meant by 'no face' but the idea is really not something you ever want to find out firsthand. :eek:

I hope this doesn't seem ghoulish...my paternal Grandfather used to work in the collieries around Rotherham, having risen to become a drainage / ventilation engineer. Apparently, one of the many unpleasant experiences he suffered was when a poor chap got somehow caught between a coal face or seam of rock or summat and a large piece of rotating machinery, with predicitable consequences for his head and shoulders. Having grown up with this story I've always assumed this was not an uncommon type of messy fatality.

CJ did your aunt come up with that idea or is it a common believe that i haven't come across before?

I seem to recall watching an interview with the miner but a quick search on youtube brought no results. The speaker on saturday did refer to monks as one type of ghost that didnt have a visible face,and also he mentioned headless ghosts, thinking about it at work i had the idea maybe the original sighting of a "headless" ghost just had its face obscured and as folklore took over the ghost became headless.

Andys post reminded me of a story i read where a women saw a ghost with an obscured face and later found out a man had shot himself in the face in the room she had the sighting.

If it comes to horrid industrial accidents, there is a video online in some ghoulish places of a woman whose hair became entrapped in a machine. She is still very much alive as her head is freed - denuded entirely of skin! They wrap the red orb in a towel.

Such things tend to haunt me more than faceless ghosts, though the only one of those I saw disintegrated before the face was visible. :(

[...] has anybody seen a ghost that had its face hidden ?

Not personally, but that's brought back vivid memories of being scared witless by Sapphire and Steel and having to sleep with the light on :eek:

....28 years old, I was...

(apologies to Lee and Herring)

The faceless man on S&S scared the crap out of me too.

Which show was the faceless nun on?

I'm going to say "The Dark Tower" but I'm sure if I'm wrong someone else will remember it. Regardless testament to it's writer/director the show was on mid to late 70's and the image of our hero climbing wooden steps while the sound of a creaking rocking chair sounded to be confronted with a slow tilt up a seated nun to a face that was not there still resonates with me. I wonder if today I'd find it still disturbing.

I might google some of these later, when I've woken up enough.

The Spirit of Dark and Lonely Water was faceless too, in the monkish kind of way where you can't see into the hood.

I don't remember it at all, but a bit of searching has uncovered Armchair Thriller. It appears to be from an episode called "Quiet as a Nun".
This is the best video of it I've so far found.

Bit rubbish! Other episodes of Armchair Thriller have been uploaded onto YouTube in fairly good quality. I'll keep looking.

I don't remember it at all, but a bit of searching has uncovered Armchair Thriller. It appears to be from an episode called "Quiet as a Nun".
This is the best video of it I've so far found.

Bit rubbish! Other episodes of Armchair Thriller have been uploaded onto YouTube in fairly good quality. I'll keep looking.

Thank you for that Pete, that's it exactly. Even at this quality I still find that pretty unsettling.

So what got you into Forteana mooks?

I can't remember any faces very well, even those of people like my partner or my mum. Whenever I think of them I can imagine perfectly their figure, clothing, scent, hair and how they feel to me etc but can't quite picture faces as they turn into a blur in my mind.
One of the times i believe I felt/saw a ghostly presence, I was certain I saw a head and shoulders but nothing where there should have been a face, wonder if there's anything in that?

pretty sure i posted this somewhere before, but i once was visited by a ghostly type wearing a hooded cloak-no part of them was visible, even tho i'd imagine you should see a face even with a hood on. They checked out a painting i was working on before doing the off. And that was that.

Please go into more detail about what happened...context is everything.
Also, why did you attach that screenshot of a Google search?

pah techno-gremlins-removed, thanks.
it was lateish, (or very early if you prefer), and i was up and painting. The only company i had was the dog, everyone else was asleep.
We were living in a flat that had had older residents before and an old lady in the flat upstairs who had died a couple of weeks previously, (so it was temporarily empty and unfurnished).
i left the room to fetch a drink or something (with dog in tow) and when i came back there was a figure in a black cloak standing in front of the easel studying the picture. Couldn't see any hands or a face but they were turned slightly. Anyway i came up short and the dog sort of barrelled into the back of my leg. i looked down at him as i wasnt sure how he was going to react and when i looked up again the room was empty.
Then i heard the footsteps on the floorboards from the flat above which strode the length of the room to stop pretty much above were we were still standing.
At this point i called it a night and went to bed (taking dog with me) .

was quite a nice place on the face of it but the whole time we lived there it was just unsettling and low level oddness-guess some places are just like that.

In the late 1970s, my husband was doing a re-enactment at Sudeley Castle. So the place was teeming in people in period costume. (Although in those days standards of authenticity so low you could spot a re-enactor at 100 paces!)

What dents the credibility of this is he was slightly 'tired and emotional' when he saw It. He was coming through some woods near the house, returning from having a wee, in the night and saw this woman standing not far ahead of him, in a cloak a la Scottish Widows - cloak with hood and hood up. Nothing spooky about that doing re-enactment. But something about her was weird... She seemed to be staring right at him. And as he got closer he realised she had no face. Just a blank sort of blackness where the face should have been (although her head/body was positioned in such a way he could tell she was 'looking' straight at him). Needless to say he legged it and probably the only reason he didn't pee himself was he'd just been...

He can't recall if she vanished or what - he just ran for dear life.

Years later, I was driving us back from a day out and it was getting dark, I was tired, and made a wrong turn. I realised from the sign posts we were heading right towards Sudeley Castle. When he realised where he (nearly) was he went white as a sheet and begged me to turn round. Didn't care where we went so long as he didn't even have to see the place, ever again. That reaction alone convinced me he'd been telling the truth. He says the clothing was hard to see in the dark, inany detail but he got the impression it was more 18thC than 17thC (the period he was re-enacting).

Other re-enactor friends have also told similar stories - something about being in a place in costume does seem to spark summat off, sometimes.

I remember my Dad taking us all to Sudeley Castle in the 70s, and I do recall that we saw lots of people in period costume - it may well have been one of those days. I don't remember anything spooky happening, though.
It is definitely the sort of place where you might find a ghost.

Armchair Thriller. It appears to be from an episode called "Quiet as a Nun".

Yes - this stuck with me as well. I know i let out an absolute shriek when the figure looked up - I'd assumed that it was going to be one of the characters. Not wanting to give the game away here!

Mytho - this was around 1 AM, I think so no public on the site! Out of curiosity I have looked up ghosts of Sudeley Castle - but found nothing that fits the bill. I'll never forget he way the blood drained from his face when I took the wrong turn that time - and that was 20 years later!

Back