• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Faces Unexpectedly Appearing At Windows

I assure you, it was Strange Universe, which was a Fox program. Trust me on this one; my memory's horrible, but I remember this quite well.

If you want to acquire a copy, check this out.

Various

I could curse Blockbuster video - I had to work there the night 'ghostwatch' was on. Sounded great.
I myself have a hatred of open doors. One night me and two of my sons - one then about nine, the other 2 or 3, - were at my father in laws house. His wife - their grandma - had not long ago died, and we were sitting around in this corridor (the house was otherwise empty). I have my back to the wall by a door (open) and my little 2/3 year old suddenly points to the door behind me and cheerily gurgles 'Granma!'
Needless to say me and my other son were a bit totally bloody petrified and had to um, 'move'.
Also work colleague of mine once mentioned her and her friend visiting a haunted house at the end of he street when she was a child; it was late, the house derelict. She says they made each other walk right up to the front door - when they got there the letterbox opened suddenly and this huge, clawed, hairy hand reached out at them.
It bothereed me, anyway!

Possibly, possibly not, but...last night Sky Moviemax showed that deathless classic 'Alien Abduction:The Macpherson tape'. To cut a long story short, it's a UFO-orientated version of 'The Blair Witch Project', based around a tape found in a deserted house. The Macpherson clan vanished on Thanksgiving (can't imagine why we've never heard this tragic tale) and all that was left behind was this eerie camcorder footage...

Actually, as these things go, it wasn't all that bad (the aliens were bloody awful though) but my point is this: there was a 'face popping up in window unnoticed by the family' scene, pretty much as described above.

Now, since the whole thing was done in a Blair Witch style ('amateur' looking, etc) I did wonder if some malevolent network had snuck out a fake documentary, rather like the BW 'Rustin Parr' documentary shown by Channel 4 a few years back.

Anyone else see this? Nice spooky ending, BTW.

Hmm...

I remember a show about some birthday-party-family-reunion-everyone-taping show, where the kids were all videotaped unwrapping gifts, and halfway through, for a split second, this white screen flashes.

They freeze it, and it shows this cowboy/girl humanoid standing on a balcony holding a rifle.

A bit cheesy, and not really scary, but near the end, they show the family watching the tape while sitting on a sofa.

Absolutely nothing to do with a window, but the couch thing kinda made me remember it.

The video appeared on a short-lived syndicated program called 'Strange Universe', and while I recall being stymied when first seeing the footage, after multiple viewings ( the pause button on your VCR can make for a handy investigative tool for the armchair fortean investigator ) it looked to resemble nothing more than a smiling child wearing facepaint. The head popped into view for just an instant, rising from the bottom of the window frame to about the center, and then lowered back down, which is what would be expected if the kid was sitting on someone's shoulders in an attempt to play a prank.

This reminds me of the film 'Signs' where they film an alien running past an alleyway at a kids party. Now that film freaked me out, although it wasn't real it was pretty spooky.

stu neville said:
Why do I do these things? I read bleedin Communion when she was on nights too.:eek:

Interesting....I had a similar reaction to "Communion." I think it's because old Whitley seems genuinely scared in the book. You'll notice that about 2/3 of the way through, he begins to repeat himself.

Now, reading "Wolfen" at night was a treat. I found myself sitting with my back to wall where I see the patio doors. Whatever else you might say or think about Streiber, he has written some good stuff.

A little digging turned up:

This is a cleaned up log, of the United Kingdom UFO Network Saturday 9th May 1998 IRC meeting on #UFO with guest John Capenter. John kindly gave up an hour of his spare time to answer some questions for the regular members of the channel, below you will find a list of questions that John was asked along with his replies. The name in between the <>'s e.g.<Nesssus> is the nick name of the IRC user asking the question and where you see <JSC> is of course the start of John's reply.

John S. Carpenter earned a Bachelor of Arts in Psychology as well as a Masters in Social Work in the 1970's. He has been trained in Clinical Hypnosis at the Menninger Clinic in Kansas. He has been providing therapy for a wide variety of psychiatric disorders and marital & family problems for 19 years. He began studying UFOs at age 8 and officially began investigations. 10 years ago. He has received over 120 cases of alleged UFO abductions and performed hypnotherapy sessions to gather data. He lectures nationwide and overseas, describing incredible patterns of similarity among the data. He has appeared on TV and in documentaries as well as on radio and in magazines worldwide. He presented six papers at the prestigious M.I.T. conference in 1992. He writes an international column for the MUFON Journal and has been MUFON's Director of Abduction Research for the past 7 years.

<JSC> I have a case in RURAL Missouri in which an anomalous image floats up into the view of a picture window -- out in the middle of NOWHERE on a February COLD night in 1992. Nobody actually saw the "face" at the time but a video camera -- which was being handled quite unprofessionally just happened to catch it when nobody was looking. The face floats eerily into view and then away just 3 seconds later. A "killer Rotweiler was guarding the yard; neighbboring dogs were barking wildly. No footprints. 4 days later, an orange sphere was sighted at dawn in the west over their pasture. This family wanted NO PUBLICITY and sat on the video clip for 3 months before a relative insisted they release it to someone in authority. The FBI and Air Force laughed. I was the third one they called. It stills give me a chill when I watch it. It was shown on "Strange Universe" last year. JSC

Just for the hell of it, I e-mailed MUFON to see if this video is available anywhere. Details/updates as they arrive.

Have always regarded myself as a hopeless coward. I'm not even ashamed of it; just the way some of us are made.

But here I am, 2.37 in the morning, alone downstairs, trawling the Forums. This is a townhouse, not very large. 'Downstairs' consists basically of one large living-room/dining room, with a kitchen/laundry/bathroom running at right angles. Have the front door and back doors wide open because it was 34 degrees Celsius here today.

The front door looks out to a very dark, deserted street. Back door looks out on the backyard, behind which there's a half-erected block of apartments (thus deserted) and the very large, black and gloomy rear yard of a rear neighbour. Total blackness at front and back. Admittedly, both the wide-open front and rear doors are fitted with security mesh fly-screens. My only company is a sleeping cat. Although upstairs sleeps the rest of the family.

I've had that charged, vulnerable sensation tingling in my shoulders and back of neck as I've been reading all posts in this thread, and I notice my feet are curled up, plus ankles crossed, so I wouldn't say I'm feeling all that relaxed. I'd jump out of my skin very swiftly, for sure.

Have had quite a few paranormal experiences; well, been scared sh*tless at times, to be honest. Have had a bit of a problem with mirrors from time to time, day or night. And going up the dark staircase after I've turned off all the downstairs lights uses up a lot of my courage, some nights more than others.

But I sleep with the bedroom door wide open, and leave the windows open and blinds up too. That way I have somewhere to escape through. I think my brain would implode if I found myself trapped in a closed room by something. Also, I like to be able to hear -- in case anything attacks the rest of the family. If I closed my bedroom door, I would feel I was turning my back on the others; leaving them to their fate. I always leave a downstairs and upstairs light on at night; always have. I don't think I could sleep in a totally dark house.

If someone wants to lurk outside my house, looking in through the open doors at two in the morning, then they'll have to get past me before they could get in or hurt my family. My plan is to yell at them at the top of my voice, to raise half the neighbourhood. That should scare almost anything away. They don't like exposure. Having said that, should admit that my body always lets me down just when I need it. It freezes and my brain turns to mush and I stop breathing and can't even remember my own name because I'm such a captive to terror and fear. I shake myself almost to bits, literally, and it takes a long, long time before I get back to normal. But I'd rather have a fighting chance of getting through the doors and windows, than hide inside with everything closed up, terrified. It gives too much power to whatever might be stalking you. You end up locking yourself into a smaller and smaller space and your imagination goes wild under those circumstances. Quick route to madness.

A few hours ago, at around midnight, was sitting here totally absorbed, typing, when I heard a voice at the front door -- about four metres away. Looked up with heart jumping off the Richter Scale, to see a disembodied head outside in the dark, behind the front fly-screen door. Heart stop time. Hadn't heard anyone open the gate (noisy) or walk up the path. Heart thudding, I snapped; ' Yes ?'. Turned out to be a pizza delivery guy. At midnight? I was so filled with adrenalin I could hardly speak. He was at the wrong address of course. Gave him directions. As he left, he closed the gate noisily. It doesn't close any other way, so how did he get in? But would rather have seen him through the open door from three metres away, than have the door closed, hear a knock at that time of night and have to risk opening it only to be confronted by something truly horrible. So I guess my strategy is to try to arrange a bit of prior warning.

Can't arrange that with spontaneous paranormal events of course; they're the worst.

All through childhood I was accused of being scared of my own shadow and of being 'overimaginitive'. It's worked to my advantage, I realise now. Because I seem able as a result to ignore a lot of things in the belief my fears (and even experiences) are simply the work of cowardice and imagination. In fact, that would work well in a horror movie; the audience would be biting its nails and ducking its head under a cushion while the character plodded stolidly through the ghouls in the belief they were simply a figment of his imagination.

Locked doors don't stop the worst of things, only living humans. It's the non-human things you can't see until it's too late that are the worry.

But by the sound of many in this thread, we're lucky, very lucky, to live at this particular time in history. Imagine what it would have been like only a hundred years ago, without electric light at the flick of a switch, without taxis and 24 hour shopping, without radios and TVs for 'company'? Imagine the days when there was nothing but blackness after the sun went down? When a trip upstairs or into a cellar meant candles and tall shadows? When toilets were located in dark, lonely places. Imagine walking to work, as our forebears did at four and five in the morning, down alleyways and across fields, with no light at all ... and the same on the return home? Imagine living out on the prairies, in log cabins without window glass, without neighbours, without swiftly lockable cars for escape?

We would have survived though. We would have seen and experienced some truly horrible episodes and in the process we would have grown stronger, braver. So if you see something in a mirror or window late at night, glare back at it, scream at it, or smash the damn glass. Because .... although undoubtedly there are some very strange and 'not nice' interdimensional bastards hovering around us probably a lot of the time ... they still haven't launched an all-out attack on us yet. Instead they try their luck when we're vulnerable, when we're young or old and weak; when we're asleep or suffering a fever, or when we're alone and afraid, or when we don't expect it. Which means they're at least as scared of us as we are of them. So for the moment, while we're in a physical body, they're keeping their distance, staying hidden more often than not. So it's probably best if we learn to stand up for ourselves now, while we can -- and get in a bit of practice -- just in case we need it later. And regardless of your opinion of organised religion, maybe we should at least consider that its been around for a very long time, in one form or another. Nothing is wasted in Nature. A belief in something strong and good -- whatever the form -- is very probably one of mankinds survival mechanisms. I know I've reverted to early Sunday School prayers very quickly and automatically when under threat .. and I think it's made that bit of difference which has pulled me through. Anyway, very late at night and I'm probably talking rubbish.

Re: I must see the "face in the window" tape.

waster said:
I remember a while back when everyone was talking about a video tape about a ghost/alien/who knows face appearing in a window.It was from a family in Missouri,USA on Christmas night. They were all sitting on the couch and a face is visible in a window behind them.It's gotta be out there somewhere so if anyone knows just post a link.thanks.

TorgosPizza said:
I'm about 99% certain the show was called "Strange Universe," and was either on Fox or syndicated. The video was taken at a farmhouse in rural Missouri (I'm not sure of the town, but I think it was north-central) during a birthday party or something. Everyone was watching TV, but someone left the camcorder running and caught the image in the window...no one noticed it until they were watching the video some time later. It was supposed to be an ET. Whatever the show was called, it was funnier than all get-out: "When we return, government conspiracies revealed; brought to you by Proctor and Gamble." Why would advertisers shell out dough to support subversive media? Whatever the case, that video was creepier than hell.

hedgewizard said:
A little digging turned up:

This is a cleaned up log, of the United Kingdom UFO Network Saturday 9th May 1998 IRC meeting on #UFO with guest John Capenter. John kindly gave up an hour of his spare time to answer some questions for the regular members of the channel, below you will find a list of questions that John was asked along with his replies. The name in between the <>'s e.g.<Nesssus> is the nick name of the IRC user asking the question and where you see <JSC> is of course the start of John's reply.

John S. Carpenter earned a Bachelor of Arts in Psychology as well as a Masters in Social Work in the 1970's. He has been trained in Clinical Hypnosis at the Menninger Clinic in Kansas. He has been providing therapy for a wide variety of psychiatric disorders and marital & family problems for 19 years. He began studying UFOs at age 8 and officially began investigations. 10 years ago. He has received over 120 cases of alleged UFO abductions and performed hypnotherapy sessions to gather data. He lectures nationwide and overseas, describing incredible patterns of similarity among the data. He has appeared on TV and in documentaries as well as on radio and in magazines worldwide. He presented six papers at the prestigious M.I.T. conference in 1992. He writes an international column for the MUFON Journal and has been MUFON's Director of Abduction Research for the past 7 years.

<JSC> I have a case in RURAL Missouri in which an anomalous image floats up into the view of a picture window -- out in the middle of NOWHERE on a February COLD night in 1992. Nobody actually saw the "face" at the time but a video camera -- which was being handled quite unprofessionally just happened to catch it when nobody was looking. The face floats eerily into view and then away just 3 seconds later. A "killer Rotweiler was guarding the yard; neighbboring dogs were barking wildly. No footprints. 4 days later, an orange sphere was sighted at dawn in the west over their pasture. This family wanted NO PUBLICITY and sat on the video clip for 3 months before a relative insisted they release it to someone in authority. The FBI and Air Force laughed. I was the third one they called. It stills give me a chill when I watch it. It was shown on "Strange Universe" last year. JSC

Just for the hell of it, I e-mailed MUFON to see if this video is available anywhere. Details/updates as they arrive.

Yes ! This is the exact video my initial inquiry was about. I cant believe its been that long since i posted it :!: I come back to this site , 3.5 years later to check on this , and the thread is still going strong rofl ! and the video has not been located yet ! wow. :p

Yes ! This is the exact video my initial inquiry was about. I cant believe its been that long since i posted it I come back to this site , 3.5 years later to check on this , and the thread is still going strong rofl ! and the video has not been located yet ! wow.

Have you tried the P2P networks?
There's a lot of paranormal video's shared and collected on these networks.

Thanks Quicksilver,

I was feeling pretty groggy this morning but now I'm wide awake.

Holy crow, Quicksilver! I about fell off my chair with that clip! Good one! Yikes! *lol*

I've had a terror of faces in windows since I was little. 'Salem's Lot and The Amityville Horror didn't help. Neither did my high school boyfriend, who pressed his face up against a window screen by my bed one night. He made a noise, I woke up and rolled over . . . instant pandemonium.

I vaguely remember watching the video clip everyone's been looking for. It's been several years now, but I do remember not being very impressed. It looked for all the world like someone with an alien mask on a broomstick, slowly raising and lowering it outside the window. I'd like to see it again though, just for fun.

Re: Ghostwatch--isn't it out on video or dvd now? I'd love to watch it sometime.

I really shouldn't read threads like this late at night. I'm sitting all alone downstairs, everyone asleep, next to a big patio window (curtains drawn) with a bloody great mirror behind me. Urk @_@

About fears with windows- when I was little I hated the curtains of my bedroom window being open when it was dark, because I thought Spring Heeled Jack would get me. I was a right paranormal buff as a nipper, and I read somewhere about Jack leaping up to windows and breathing in a toxic gas. Despite the fact I live nowhere near London I was terrified of looking out and seeing him peering in my window, then all this deadly gas pouring out of his mouth.

Gonna be sleeping with the lights on tonight...

Quicksilver, there should be a "Not Safe For Work" warning on that thing! The first time I saw it I nearly jumped out of my chair. Hmm. Maybe this is what I get for browsing the FTMB on work time. ;)

Hehe, I know what you mean.

Five minutes after forwarding the link around my office, a chain of shrieks could be heard all over the building.

How I laughed. :twisted:

Quicksilver = :devil:

That should wake them up, anyway!

Late one spring night when I was about twelve, my mom looked out my bedroom window to keep an eye on a big storm that was coming up from that direction. Our dog, perhaps also nervous about the storm, decided to climb upon his house, which was just outside my bedroom window, and take a look inside to see what we were doing. The next lightning flash brought about a commotion that wrecked my bed and should have damaged my hearing but didn't. :shock:

The doghouse got moved the next morning.

Dib

I had to stay late at work last night. I work on the first floor of a small building in the woods in a big, dimly lit room that used to be a library. Directly behind my desk is a long, narrow window that looks out onto the front entrance of the building. All of the higher ups are out so I'm reading the latest post (Dib's very cute dog story) on this very thread to pass the time when there's a sudden knocking at the window. Eek! A dark, scruffy figure in an old army coat is banging away at my window! It's our tech support guy (who happens to be my boyfriend) who has arrived after hours to find the front door locked.

Not a very exciting story, but it sure startled the heck out of me. You'd think one of these days I'd learn my lesson...

perhaps this should be in the coincidences thread, but this is a story relayed to me by my parents

In about 1970, my parents were in college. One night their university was having a showing of Night of the Living Dead, which had come out about a year or 2 earlier. My parents walked across campus thinking it was an older, campy horror movie; they wanted to laugh at it. They didn't expect a truly scary soon-to-be horror classic. So after the show they had to trudge the whole way back to their apartment, and of course it was now quite dark. Finally reaching home, my father locked the door behind them, as they were both a bit on edge. after about 10 minutes there was a slow, loud knock on the door. My mother nearly jumped out of her skin. My dad opened the door, and in came a huge, dirty, groaning, shambling beast of a man. "uuuuuurrrghhh", he loped forward nearly falling on my dad. Mom screamed. Dad freaked, catching the guy and pusing him back out the door, slamming it behind him.
It was only after hearing the guy yell through the door "hey!... i'm.... looookin fer Bob'sh plashe man......." that dad realized that the zombie suspisciously reeked of booze.

Quicksilver said:
I got this one via email and it freaked me out - have a look.

http://www.funnyjunk.com/movies/49/Relaxing+Car+Drive/stream

:devil:

Even my computer had a reaction to that awful video. I got booted off the internet a second after viewing it. I saw one like it before, with a bowl of fruit on a table, very picturesque, until the pleasant scene was interrupted by a sudden distorted, screaming face that flashed on the screen. At least that one came with a warning not to view it if you had a bad heart. I have a headache now. Reaching for my aromatherapy oil ....hmm.."de-stress - bergamot, ylang ylang, lavender..."

To me, it just looks like a dog springing up to see through the window. Possibly with the aid of a trampoline!

Back