• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fairies around the house?

faith2faith

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
We just bought a house and moved in about a month ago. After a few weeks, strange things started happening. First I thought it may be a ghost, but now I think we have some mischievous fairies as house guests.

Here are the strange things that happened:

-- A couple weeks ago I woke up at 3:40 am from the sound of the computer in my office coming on... by itself. Not only did the thing come out of its sleep mode to show the starting page, it opened my MS Outlook all by itself! Our PC programmer said it may be a virus, but I wasn't so sure. Anyway, I shrugged it off since it didn't happen again.

-- Two days ago, I went outside for a cigarette at around 9:30 pm... and right in front of our front porch, there was a perfect little shoeprint in the snow on the black asphalt, ca. 3.5 inches long. It was the kind of shoeprint that is usually made by a dress shoe; it was totally clear and no way it could have been something else. There was another one close to it, but it was half in and half out of the snow and not very clear, but there was no track of shoeprints leading to it... just those two prints.

I raced inside to get my digital camera, but the battery was drained (as usual when I REALLY want to take a picture RIGHT NOW :?), so I had to first charge for about 30 minutes. When I came back out, it had snowed some more -- silly me, I should have put a crate or something over the shoeprint to protect it -- but I still managed to take a picture.

I would say that size shoe would have to belong to a person ca. 20-25 inches tall, and we don't have any children in the neighborhood. My own son's shoes are way bigger than that.

-- Yesterday, I took the dog out in the frontyard to do his business. He has a leash that's fixed in the ground with a metal pin so he can walk around by himself... it's about 30 feet long and can be clipped on his collar with one of those clip-on hooks (don't know what you call them) that regular leashes have too. So he walks around the corner of the house out of sight... and comes back out... OFF the leash! There's no way he could have opened that thing by himself. I thought maybe the clip wasn't all the way closed when I put it on him, but then...

-- Today, I was outside with the dog again and let him in afterwards. I know for a fact that he went inside with me, I saw him in the living room. I went to work at my computer and then my husband and son came home. My husband said: "Why is the dog outside all by himself He was greeting us when we came home." I checked the entire house to make sure no door was open or there wasn't a hole somewhere in the wall we didn't know about and where he could have gotten out. Nothing. The only explanation: someone opened the door for him.

Today I put out some honey in a baby food jar to pacify the little rascals... I'll keep you posted on further experiences.

I can't offer a rational explanation for the shoeprint and the computer (mine only ever switches itself off, never on), the dog sounds familiar. I suspect you have a bilocator.

My little lurcher frequently bilocates, i.e. disappears to the left and then turns up seconds later from the right, or far behind etc. Even her hairs bilocate; we find them in glasses that were in closed cupboards, stuck through shirt collars and even once in a piece of incoming post.

(Please don't explain away any of the above. I LIKE to believe that I have a bilocating dog.)

faith2faith said:
...but now I think we have some mischievous fairies as house guests.

Interestings stories, especially about the dog!

I've got a problem, here, too: I had my Swiss Army knife (which also contains my flashdrive) in hand and was going downstairs. In the landing, I removed the kitchen towels from the dryer. Upon reaching the living room, I realized that my Swiss Army knife had disappeared. Searches have provided nothing.

Please let us know whether your money-in-the-jar pacification works. Thank you!

Interesting story, I agree. Could it be something similar to what happened to me today?
I have a bunch of keys and on the keyring is a small torch. The keyring has not be bashed about or fallen or anything at all, it is lying near the door on a shelf or is put into my handbag.
Today as I pick it up, the torch is in two halves and the battery is out. As I check closer, I noticed that all four screws are missing and I mean missing, nowhere to be seen on the shelf but the battery is lying there...
Really, I couldn't come up with any explanation, especially when I used the light only last week and everything was fine...fairies, ghosts, sleepwalking [not that I know of]...or what???

AnyankaJ said:
My little lurcher frequently bilocates

Mine too, she's so damn quick!
A coupla weeks ago my wife and I were looking for a halogen bulb to replace a blown kitchen ceiling light. We always keep them in the same spot, a 3-drawer plastic hardware box under the sink. I looked (male, arty approach: one quick look where they should be and declared them terminally lost) then my wife had a go (female, thorough, handles big budgets professionally because of her logical skills: who took each object out and laid them in rows on the kitchen floor while we both looked until there were none left).
No bulbs.

They're not easy to miss being packaged in orange and white boxes. A quick look elsewhere then knowing the efficacy of a plea to whatever mischievous entity gets their kicks hiding stuff, I asked them to bring the bulbs back please, and we'd be really grateful. My wife searched the top drawer - nothing. Second drawer down a 3-pack of halogen bulbs right on top of everything else.

I don't care how it works it's always worth a try. BTW we were both late for work so tricks were out.

This isn't quite as dramatic as your experience, but I'm posting it because 1) when I was telling my skeptical boyfriend about it, I joked that it might be fairies, 2) the incident seems to be associated with a pet (not mine though) and 3) it just happened two nights ago.

I live in a two-flat and rent the upstairs to my mom, who's been out of town for months due to her boyfriend's health situation. On Thursday as I was getting home from work (about 6pm) and looked at the upper part of my house, I saw that a light was on in my mom's apartment. I headed up the stairs and found the kitchen light on, promptly switched it off (it's a flip switch which takes some force to flip) and then speculated about how long I must have left it on, since I only go up there periodically and try to keep all of the lights off. But then the very next night (Friday) as I was heading home from a friend's house, I looked up and saw the very same light on! The last time I'd been up there was the night before to turn off the switch, and my memory was pretty clear about it. And once again the switch was flipped up.

I was up in my mom's apartment not only to turn off the kitchen light again, but also to put up a little kitty that had meowing at me outside my house, because it was very cold and windy that night. (I've got cats in my own apartment, so it made more sense to keep her upstairs.) Being a little bit superstitious I decided that the kitchen light coming on by itself was a sign that I had to take the cat in for the night. Luckily, there was a phone number on her collar tag and when I spoke to her owner in the morning I was given the instruction to "just put her out so she can find her way home" which is on the next block.

I won't go into the details, but I've experienced other incidents of strangeness at this house that seemed to involve my pets and also made me think of fairies.

I should go out and look for fairy footprints in the snow. :)

LeapingEri said:
...as I was heading home from a friend's house, I looked up and saw the very same light on! The last time I'd been up there was the night before to turn off the switch, and my memory was pretty clear about it. And once again the switch was flipped up.

Interesting story.

But, there is another angle: someone else has a key. Be careful.

A few years ago my Wife's parents were on holiday. We were popping by the house once in a few days to move the post away from the door & check everything was ok. One of these times I went there when it had got dark. I only went in to the Hall & kitchen and not the living room. As I left the house i looked back and saw that the living room light was on. This puzzled me more than anything, and I went back in to the house and switched the light off. I know I switched it off. On the way down the drive again, I looked back and the light was on again. I did not go back in this time. There was nothing wrong with the switch, the same light switch is still there nearly 20 years later and this has never happened since, as far as i know.
I often wondered what that was all about.

jeff544 said:
A few years ago my Wife's parents were on holiday. We were popping by the house once in a few days to move the post away from the door & check everything was ok. One of these times I went there when it had got dark. I only went in to the Hall & kitchen and not the living room. As I left the house i looked back and saw that the living room light was on. This puzzled me more than anything, and I went back in to the house and switched the light off. I know I switched it off. On the way down the drive again, I looked back and the light was on again. I did not go back in this time.
As your in-laws had gone away for a while, could they have left some of the lights on a controlled timer? I used to do that - the lights go on and off at various times, leading any snooping burglars to assume that someone is still at home.

rynner said:
jeff544 said:
A few years ago my Wife's parents were on holiday. We were popping by the house once in a few days to move the post away from the door & check everything was ok. One of these times I went there when it had got dark. I only went in to the Hall & kitchen and not the living room. As I left the house i looked back and saw that the living room light was on. This puzzled me more than anything, and I went back in to the house and switched the light off. I know I switched it off. On the way down the drive again, I looked back and the light was on again. I did not go back in this time.
As your in-laws had gone away for a while, could they have left some of the lights on a controlled timer? I used to do that - the lights go on and off at various times, leading any snooping burglars to assume that someone is still at home.

No, that was not the case. it is a standard light switch, and a damn ugly ceiling fitting with about 6 bulbs in - no timers etc. They have the same set up now, and have not had any cause for repairs or anything in all the years. (apart from new bulbs obviously)

ElishevaBarsabe said:
LeapingEri said:
...as I was heading home from a friend's house, I looked up and saw the very same light on! The last time I'd been up there was the night before to turn off the switch, and my memory was pretty clear about it. And once again the switch was flipped up.

Interesting story.

Well, then that someone is about 20 inches tall... I'd think I can take him. :lol:

faith2faith said:
ElishevaBarsabe said:
LeapingEri said:

Interesting story.

Well, then that someone is about 20 inches tall... I'd think I can take him. :lol:

Ha! You need to watch more horror movies. Small creatures are always the worst, attacking their victims from odd angles, speeding around, popping up out of nowhere.

I forgot to mention that my boyfriend does have a key! (He fed the cats while I was away, probably a good idea to have someone trustworthy keep an extra key.) I can't imagine him doing it as a prank, though. Even if he had, he would've confessed shortly after I told him about the mystery. My sensible explanation is that my memory was faulty, but I swear I was paying more attention than usual the night before when I turned out the lights, because I knew that I might not be up there for a few days.

little people

My mother saw a elf when she was 8 years old and it terrified her. She spotted it sitting by the fire, crossed legged, hands cupping its chin. She described it as being very small, dressed in tight fitting greens and blacks and having a very old looking face. Its body was that of a younger person and this didnt seem to match its old looking face. My mother ran to her own mother and when the returned to where shed seen the little man - he had vanished leaving a slight marking where it had sat.

Years before this my grandmother felt (lean on her ) and then saw a little figure run out of her bedroom. This was a few weeks after my mother had been born. This little visitor had apparently got onto the bed, leaned on my grandmothers side and watched my mother - whos little eyes where like saucers according to my grandmother.

I myself have had one encounter late at night. I awoke with the sensation of something at the end of the bed. I lifted my head and saw a hairy looking thing, its small hands touching the bed. I just lay there transfixed on this little creature who eventually melted away - the radiator taking form where it had once been.

Nice work, is it part of your showreel? The dead fairy prop is very well done...

those clips

in my opinion the "fairy" in those clips is nothing but a well made model.

Neither clips are anything to do with me. But they are real in my opinion.
Do you really think the clip of the kids in the garden is a set up?
What makes you think they are both fake?

They're fake because they're on an obscure YouTube channel, if someone really had anything like that they have cashed in flogging it to the tabloids.

And why does the cameraman run at the end of the second clip? If I had that for real I'd have made sure I got a decent shot of it.

If you believe that then I have this contact in a bank in Nigeria, who needs to get 10 million dollars out of the country anf would be willing to split it with you if you give him you name address and bank account details...

I think one of those world famous Cottingley Fairies photographs is supposed to be real. Frances Wright claimed this but didnt reveal which one it was. Anybody got any ideas?

We have threads on the Cottingley Fairies. Don't get me started on them. :D

''And why does the cameraman run at the end of the second clip? If I had that for real I'd have made sure I got a decent shot of it. ''

Because it freaked him out? So what do you think it is then?
Other people have reported seeing the same entity.
Seems too natural to be a set up.

Can't you read? It's an admitted fake.

''Can't you read? It's an admitted fake.''

Where on the net does it state the garden entity is a fake?

1. it looks identical to the dead version (which is fake)

2. those others who claim to have seen it probably mean on utube.

3. the video if true would have lead to tv/newspaper coverage

4. its animation is a poor wallace and gromit :)

5. there would have been more follow vids of the tree and general location of the creature - including a 24/7 webcam

In conclusion, its someone just having a bit of fun.

Rigsby said:
''Can't you read? It's an admitted fake.''

Where on the net does it state the garden entity is a fake?

The dead fairy's a fake http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/hoaxes/deadfairy.asp as posted earlier, so it seems pretty obvious that the "live" fairy which looks identical is....

BTW: Macrosblack, that's an interesting story you posted earlier.

Not like fake videos....

Wow, just seen the clip of the fairy in the garden, looks real to me!
Obviously the 2 clips are completely unconnected.

Back