• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fairies, Pixies, Elves, Sprites & Other Little Folk

rabbits on the first of most months and white rabbits on your birthday month :)
Thought you were meant to turn full circle three times as well?
I think smearing your knees with fish paste was something they made up just for me though.:doh:

Their aversion to Iron is the origin of hanging a horse shoe outside of your door (so I am lead to believe) they are not keen on salt either

Idle musings at the kitchen table...

An interesting thing is a horse shoe.

For luck, the shoe must have been thrown i.e. New horse shoes aren't much chop when it comes to luck. So. The horse shoe must've had a physical connection to a horse for it to be considered lucky.

The Forge, or the Farrier/Smithy has no connotation with luck, but a horse shoe must be hung, open end down, over the forge to imbue it with luck/good fortune...which is the opposite in any other situation.

In conclusion, can we say that it isn't the shoe, the forge, or the Smithy that imposes or transfers good fortune, but the fact that a horse was once shod with the shoe, and then that the shoe was thrown.

It's a funny old world, innit.

As a child I was told that if I found a horseshoe to make a wish and throw it over your left shoulder which I did when i found one and it did work.

Idle musings at the kitchen table...

An interesting thing is a horse shoe.

For luck, the shoe must have been thrown i.e. New horse shoes aren't much chop when it comes to luck. So. The horse shoe must've had a physical connection to a horse for it to be considered lucky.

The Forge, or the Farrier/Smithy has no connotation with luck, but a horse shoe must be hung, open end down, over the forge to imbue it with luck/good fortune...which is the opposite in any other situation.

In conclusion, can we say that it isn't the shoe, the forge, or the Smithy that imposes or transfers good fortune, but the fact that a horse was once shod with the shoe, and then that the shoe was thrown.

It's a funny old world, innit.
Although farriers are still held to be a bit 'magic' (probably because shoeing horses is a very skilled job, especially when you involve remedial shoeing) and can make the difference between a sound and useable horse and a lame one. In times when shod horses were essential for transport, this made them very powerful indeed.

Although farriers are still held to be a bit 'magic' (probably because shoeing horses is a very skilled job, especially when you involve remedial shoeing) and can make the difference between a sound and useable horse and a lame one. In times when shod horses were essential for transport, this made them very powerful indeed.
True that Catseye.

"However, I did notice the other night, when walking past a wood filled with white moths, how they could easily be mistaken for small beings,"

Silk moths, in particular, can have a very fairy-like appearance:

moths.png

Back