Fairies, Pixies, Elves, Sprites & Other Little Folk

Ghost In The Machine

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
It's the cipher used by Mary Queen of Scots she used in captivity. The voice is reading Robert Burns' poem "Lament for the approach of spring"
LOL. Is he in Scotland? I hope we never solve the mystery of who he is but would be fun to crack that code.

Ghost In The Machine

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
And I've worked out the word in the clouds is Avalon

Just started reading the book mentioned in Enola's post no. 319, and stumbled straight on this:

"...A third form of Welsh popular belief as to the whereabouts of fairyland corresponds with the Avalon of the Arthurian legends. The green meadows of the sea, called in the triads Gwerddonau Llion, are the

Green fairy islands, reposing,
In sunlight and beauty on ocean’s calm breast..."

Souleater

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
I posted on another thread about my experience with pop up people
When i was very young (2 years old or so) my mom told me later that she would quite often hear me talking in our bathroom, having quite long chats, when she inquired as to whom i was talking, i would say "the pop up people", i have no memory of actually talking to these pop up people in the bathroom but have a vague memory of it happening. Does anyone else have any similar encounters with pop up people?
Also when i was a child, in our front garden, we had an old staddle stone (big stone mushroom like thing, used to raise grain silos etc off of the ground to prevent vermin getting in) which had a chip out of the base, about 4 inches by 2 inches big, we always called it a fairy door. (The staddle stone is still in my folks front garden but at a different house)

Aurora Newman

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
Yes I do believe in Fairies very much so. I like having Fairies in my life. They lift the spirits. I don't do any meditation or other stuff to connect to them. I just know they're there. One day I'll start sketching them, when I'm done with drawing Mermaids (some say Mermaids are of the Fey aswell). I do two types of Mermaid art spoof and real to life. I plan to do the same with Fairies!!

Coastaljames

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I believe the fae phenomena is real. I believe it is very similar to and comparable to the Bigfoot phenomena. There is a very strong connection between them. Maybe even a symbiotic connection.

I believe they both exist. But exist in ways different to other things existing. They exist but not like a bear exists, or a shoe.

This existence is very much connected to people's interactions with wild places. I don't think either of them exist without this interaction.

Every culture on the the planet in every country and at every time has a tradition of wildmen and little people. They are both universal. They exist. But in a special way.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I saw this footage on youtube a while ago, im pretty sure its a hoax, but its well done, and all the people involved are pretty good if they are acting, might be real, who knows :p

Seen it before. I think CGI, but if it is real, it's probably a stray praying mantis (escaped from someone's collection).

Iris

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
That was very interesting lordmongrove.
Reminds me of when my daughter and I went on an indigenous walk at Monkey Mia and the guide told us he would see little people when he hunted at night.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
That was very interesting lordmongrove.
Reminds me of when my daughter and I went on an indigenous walk at Monkey Mia and the guide told us he would see little people when he hunted at night.
Maybe that's why it got called 'Monkey Mia'?
It's largely desert there, nowhere for anything to hide.

Mungoman

Mostly harmless...
Reaction score
Maybe that's why it got called 'Monkey Mia'?
It's largely desert there, nowhere for anything to hide.

Yeah Nah Myth - there's plenty of places to hide at Monkey Mia...the resort is a bit bare but the rest of the place is alright.

Monkey Mia (Gutharraguda, Monkey Mia's real name, means two bays).

1615767768959.png

Mungoman

Mostly harmless...
Reaction score
A landscape totally alien to what I see everyday:(

Yeah, I must admit, me too PeteS. I'm about 4,000 K's east of MM on the Bruie Plains of New South Wales - it's mainly grey and white box country, with Cypress Pine in spots, Red IronBark on the occasional ridges and Sheoak around subsurface water.

The only thing lacking IS water...and the aquatic life of course. Our water source is the Bogan River - when it runs, so we're making do with bore water.

It's a treat to travel this big country, and I adore coming over a ridge to discover the surrounding bush that you've travelled through for 300 K's has dramatically changed to a completely different habitat.

Anyway, Monkey Mia - a nice spot mate.

Min Bannister

Possessed dog
Reaction score
That's the first time I have watched on one of those videos. That's utterly charming and has a bit of a Detectorists vibe. Which is a compliment because The Detectorists is some of the finest tv I have seen in years.
Hehe yes, it's Russel and Hugh!

Mikefule

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
What an interesting thread, with room for all parts of the spectrum of Fortean approaches to a subject.

There are things that you can see or experience that exist outside of your body, and yet which lack any solid existence of their own. Examples include a rainbow, a reflection and an echo. Two people a hundred metres apart can see a rainbow at the same time, but it is not the same rainbow.

Dismissing hundreds or even thousands of years of fairy lore from a wide range of cultures with reductionist explanations like "a race memory of an earlier bronze age people" is no more "scientific" than some airy hand waving explanation by analogy with references to planes, dimensions, or wavelengths.

Likewise, dismissing it all with a generic psychological explanation misses the point.

Fairies are like fear, love, and hope: they exist in the sense that people experience them, they do things to appease or encourage them, and they allow their belief in them to affect their own behaviour.

Here's my thought on fairy land. It has happened to me a handful of times in 58 years. I first had this insight when I went to Bampton in Oxfordshire to watch the traditional Morris dancers. I drove round the corner and there they were outside the pub, dressed in clean fresh brilliantly white costumes, lit by a shaft of sunlight, their lines straight, and every man off the ground at the same time, and they looked perfect. For the rest of the day, they were a bunch of mainly middle aged men in slightly grubby whites who had enjoyed a pint and were going through the motions of their traditional dances. In that first moment when I saw the they looked exactly like they ought to look; for the rest of the day, they looked like they really are.

There are moments when everything is exactly as it should be. There is the moment when the low afternoon sun brings out the golds and yellows in the birch forest, when the ground underfoot is dry and carpeted with leaves that are golden and not yet decayed, and when you glance in the right direction just as a jay or a green woodpecker rises from the ground. You step on a dry twig and the sharp crack of it breaking echoes and that is the only sound you can hear. A moment later, the sun has gone behind a cloud, a group of mountain bikers goes tearing past, and you notice that the path is strewn with litter. That first perfect moment was something like fairy land.

It is almost like deja vu, which I have experienced a few times. It is a moment of perception that is gone almost before you notice it.

Ghost In The Machine

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
HE IS BACK!
Thanks! I wouldn't have found this for days probably if I'd not seen your post.

It's all a bit more arty when shot by Tom. (Who has messed with the colour saturation nicely, by the look of it). And at last we get to see Tom.

Love that he's back. He's what my kids call "wholesome". There's so little wholesome left in the world. Dartmoor, too, he said. Not sure I've noticed him identifying places, before. Love that he's back. In time for Beltane, too... That's no coincidence.

Mungoman

Mostly harmless...
Reaction score
Thanks! I wouldn't have found this for days probably if I'd not seen your post.

It's all a bit more arty when shot by Tom. (Who has messed with the colour saturation nicely, by the look of it). And at last we get to see Tom.

Love that he's back. He's what my kids call "wholesome". There's so little wholesome left in the world. Dartmoor, too, he said. Not sure I've noticed him identifying places, before. Love that he's back. In time for Beltane, too... That's no coincidence.

His beards whiter though...