Fairies, Pixies, Elves, Sprites & Other Little Folk

G

GeorgeP

Good find.
Yes, that's what I thought of too when I read that account.
What she described may have been an alien abduction experience.
My thoughts too. But who knows, the alien aspect may have been multi dimensional - another realm sharing the earth with our own?

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
My thoughts too. But who knows, the alien aspect may have been multi dimensional - another realm sharing the earth with our own?
That is also not impossible, yes.

Ghost In The Machine

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
This thread makes me want to read 'Jonathan Strange' again!

Dianne Purkiss's book 'Troublesome Things' is an interesting read. Fairy abduction stories share a lot of motifs with the 20thC alien abduction stories, it seems.

I have a friend who used to walk a lot in the Lake District and she swears to me she once found something in a really remote place, well off the tourist track, that she thought was a fairy house... Next time I see her, will ask her to tell me the details again. But I know she was utterly convinced there was 'something' in the wilder, more remote areas.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
This thread makes me want to read 'Jonathan Strange' again!

Dianne Purkiss's book 'Troublesome Things' is an interesting read. Fairy abduction stories share a lot of motifs with the 20thC alien abduction stories, it seems.

I have a friend who used to walk a lot in the Lake District and she swears to me she once found something in a really remote place, well off the tourist track, that she thought was a fairy house... Next time I see her, will ask her to tell me the details again. But I know she was utterly convinced there was 'something' in the wilder, more remote areas.
It could be a 'fairy door' that some child had nailed to a tree. Some of them look quite good.

Or...was it a lot more than that?

Ghost In The Machine

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
It could be a 'fairy door' that some child had nailed to a tree. Some of them look quite good.

Or...was it a lot more than that?
That is brilliant! I want one! (But can't cos my dog would eat it). But no, I seem to recall her describing a small, free-standing structure. She did tell me where it was, well roughly, as well so next time I see her I will ask her. She worked in a tourist trap so spent her days off walking to the remotest places she could find, where she could get away from every last tourist.

G

GeorgeP

In the Horror Film thread I mentioned the movie - Cats Eye. I also briefly discussed something from my childhood that involved finding a tiny hand print in my nans house - behind the wardrobe. The bedroom was getting an overdue makeover and some wallpaper if my memory serves me well. The hand print was approximately slightly bigger than the bowl area of a dessert spoon. Three long thin fingers (the middle one was the longest) that were slightly outstretched and a plump looking thumb. It was less than 12inches above the floor and was very distinct. It was black in colour and well formed on the plaster. It was wiped away with some elbow grease which left a clean looking hand shaped area of plaster. Years later I brought the subject up with my Nan who wasn't surprised by that find. She grew up in a house that had similar oddness and strangeness connected with it.

Mungoman

Mostly harmless...
Reaction score
A very well written account of what happened to her. It sounds like it was an absolutely terrifying experience and I hope neither she or any other members of her family ever experienced any thing like that again.

There might be an explanation in a delayed reaction to her sleeping/relaxation tablets that she took when she was flying as I've heard of people reacting very strangely on those and I can imagine that night hag/sleep paralysis hallucinations could be affected by taking them. I am also not sure that her daughter might not have been rewriting history as memories can be very unreliable.

But all the same, I am not an expert and I wasn't there so I shall keep my mind open. It would be interesting to know if indigenous Australians have any myths and stories about little people. It's clear from the myths in the UK that the little people are very far from being wafty ethereal Victorian sweeties.

G'day staticgirl, there are many incidences of small spirit-world beings in Australian Aboriginal Mythology. Some are good folks, others, quite malignant.

There is a 'Balyet' who lives in the gullies and gorges and is associated with mists. She once was a young girl who was punished for a transgression by being turned into this lost spirit - she takes young children.

There are Potkorok's who live in water - they are small spirits and need to be warned before you come down to drink. chucking a stone ahead of you into the water is a good idea.

There are the Turong's, spirits who live in trees and will chuck gum nuts and twigs at you as you walk under the trees.

After dark, is not a good time to be wandering the Australian bush, needless to say.

David Plankton

I AM HIM.
Reaction score
In a recent issue of FT there was a piece about someone doing research into a possible link with ghost sightings and mould spores. They were looking into the possibility that certain types of spores found in old (and not so old) buildings could produce a reaction in certain people, giving them hallucinations.
Just started reading Fairies: Real Encounters With The Little People, Janet Bord and remembered the link between 'Little People' sightings and Fairy Rings, the circular marks on grass caused by a species of mushroom.

Mungoman

Mostly harmless...
Reaction score
My apologies Mytho - I read your comment as 'impossible' and not 'not impossible' - I. need. to. read. more. slowly.

Anonymous-50446

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score
I’m fascinated by these accounts. There’s little doubt there are ‘occurrences’ of several types, and when you’ve read enough of these stories you can even categorise types of ‘occurrences’. I’ve no doubt they happen, but my feeling is that the brain interprets these ‘events’ according to its own experience, which are in turn are shaped by the current ‘zeitgeist’. So for a period and for a lot of folk ‘fairies’ in (say) the middle of this century in the UK, but for others, in the 70s and 80s ‘alien abductions’ and so on.

Something does happen that’s for sure, but I think we’d do well to look at situations and circumstances, rather than the interpretation the brain puts on the ‘event’.

Ghost In The Machine

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
My mum came from an unbroken line of farmers on the borders of the East/West Ridings. I read somewhere that in the nineteenth century this community was regarded as the most superstitious people in the UK - specifically, the farming families.

She always left a bowl of bread and milk - she called 'pobs' - "out for the fairies". And it would be gone in the morning. Of course if you looked out of the kitchen window, you'd see hedgehogs eating it at night... Cat food is what you're meant to leave out for them! - and she must have known this as well as we did, but it was always "for the fairies". Maybe in some Mrs Tiggywinkle kinda way, the hedgehogs were somehow the fae? Or they were in her head.

My husband's mate bought a Welsh hill farm in the 1980s. I don't think it was great arable - he was a romantic townie trying to live The Good Life. Apparently, there was this stream on his land that he was told never to damage or pollute or change the course of, in any way, or the fairies would make Bad Things happen. At one point, he claimed, he messed with it in some way and the Bad Things ensued quickly. And carried on til he reversed his messing about - forget what he said he did. But when he put it right the Bad Things stopped happening. I have Irish friends who have told me about roads not going in a straight line as a blackthorn, elder, or similar is bang in its path and it was thought to be terrible bad luck to grub up a tree the fairies liked.

G

GeorgeP

My mum came from an unbroken line of farmers on the borders of the East/West Ridings. I read somewhere that in the nineteenth century this community was regarded as the most superstitious people in the UK - specifically, the farming families.

She always left a bowl of bread and milk - she called 'pobs' - "out for the fairies". And it would be gone in the morning. Of course if you looked out of the kitchen window, you'd see hedgehogs eating it at night... Cat food is what you're meant to leave out for them! - and she must have known this as well as we did, but it was always "for the fairies". Maybe in some Mrs Tiggywinkle kinda way, the hedgehogs were somehow the fae? Or they were in her head.

My husband's mate bought a Welsh hill farm in the 1980s. I don't think it was great arable - he was a romantic townie trying to live The Good Life. Apparently, there was this stream on his land that he was told never to damage or pollute or change the course of, in any way, or the fairies would make Bad Things happen. At one point, he claimed, he messed with it in some way and the Bad Things ensued quickly. And carried on til he reversed his messing about - forget what he said he did. But when he put it right the Bad Things stopped happening. I have Irish friends who have told me about roads not going in a straight line as a blackthorn, elder, or similar is bang in its path and it was thought to be terrible bad luck to grub up a tree the fairies liked.
I love tales like that, they just make you want to visit such places.

FrKadash

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
This is from 2014 but I don't remember seeing it posted before now o_O

This Irish cottage may be haunted by violent fairies
Corinne Purtill, GlobalPost 3:46 p.m. EST November 22, 2014

LIXNAW, Ireland — All is not well in the cottage at the edge of the Ballynageragh bog.
The simple home lies on the outskirts of this blink-and-you'll-miss-it village in west Ireland's County Kerry.
During the last two decades, no fewer than five inhabitants of the tiny white building used for public housing died suddenly in tragic and unusual circumstances.
The unsettling events have tapped into a culture of legend and supernatural belief that continues to color life here.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...lpost-irish-cottage-violent-fairies/18170933/

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
It sounds familiar to me - I think it has been posted before.
Interesting case.

Ulalume

tart of darkness
Reaction score
This is from 2014 but I don't remember seeing it posted before now o_O

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...lpost-irish-cottage-violent-fairies/18170933/
Yes, it was posted somewhere on the forum previously, but I haven't the foggiest idea where now. IIRC, one former resident of the house posted here on FTMB that the house had an extreme problem with damp and mold. Nothing was able to fix it, or was not satisfactorily fixed, or something along those lines. IIRC, the former resident believed that people who'd died had succumbed to toxic mold.

IamSundog

Not insane
Reaction score
I came across this interesting tale today. Its from a women who woke up in her bed and found Gnomes trying to drag her into the wardrobe.

http://malcolmsanomalies.blogspot.com.au/2015/08/attempted-abduction-by-gnomes.html
This account was indeed posted in FTMB way back in 2004 by a poster known as Finehair. I have always considered it one of the creepiest stories I've ever read.

http://forum.forteantimes.com/index.php?threads/finehair-again6s-gnomes-caution-may-be-tripe.35297/

FrKadash

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

IamSundog

Not insane
Reaction score
Yeah thats what I'm saying. I'm responding to the set of posts about it from last August.

That's how long it took me to find it....

Jim

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Remains of the most recently discovered early human species, Homo floresiensis (nicknamed ‘Hobbit’), have been found between 95,000 and 12,000 years ago on the Island of Flores, Indonesia. H. floresiensis individuals stood approximately 3 feet 6 inches tall had tiny brains, large teeth for their small size, shrugged-forward shoulders, no chins, receding foreheads, and relatively large feet due to their short legs. Despite their small body and brain size, H. floresiensis made and used stone tools, hunted small elephants and large rodents, coped with predators such as giant Komodo dragons, and may have used fire.

Tales of little, hairy people, whom they called Ebu Gogo - Ebu meaning grandmother and Gogo meaning 'he who eats anything'. The tales contained the most fabulous details - so detailed that you'd imagine there had to be a grain of truth in them.

One of the village elders told us that the Ebu Gogo ate everything raw, including vegetables, fruits, meat and, if they got the chance, even human meat. When food was served to them they also ate the plates, made of pumpkin - the original guests from hell (or heaven, if you don't like washing up and don't mind replacing your dinner set every week).
The villagers say that the Ebu Gogo raided their crops, which they tolerated, but decided to chase them away when the Ebu Gogo stole - and ate - one of their babies.

They ran away with the baby to their cave which was at the foot of the local volcano, some tens of meters up a cliff face. The villagers offered them bales of dry grass as fodder, which they gratefully accepted. A few days later, the villagers went back with a burning bale of grass which they tossed into the cave. Out ran the Ebu Gogo, singed but not fried, and were last seen heading west, in the direction of Liang Bua, where we found the Hobbit, as it happens.
When my colleague Gert van den Bergh first heard these stories a decade ago, which several of the villages around the volcano recount with only very minor changes in detail, he thought them no better than leprechaun tales until we unearthed the Hobbit. (I much prefer Ebu as the name of our find but my colleague Mike Morwood was insistent on Hobbit.)

The anatomical details in the legends are equally fascinating. They are described as about a meter tall, with long hair, pot bellies, ears that slightly stick out, a slightly awkward gait, and longish arms and fingers - both confirmed by our further finds this year, very similar to fossil finds.

They [the Ebu Gogo] murmured at each other and could repeat words [spoken by villagers] verbatim. For example, to 'here's some food', they would reply 'here's some food'. They could climb slender-girthed trees but, here's the rub, were never seen holding stone tools or anything similar, whereas we have lots of sophisticated artifacts in the H. floresiensis levels at Liang Bua. That's the only inconsistency with the Liang Bua evidence.

Do the Ebu Gogo still exist? It would be a hoot to search the last pockets of rainforest on the island. Not many such pockets exist, but who knows. At the very least, searching again for that lava cave, or others like it, should be done, because remains of hair only a few hundred years old, would surely survive, snagged on the cave walls or incorporated in deposits, and would be ideal for ancient DNA analyses.

Interestingly, we did find lumps of dirt with black hair in them this year in the Hobbit levels, but don't know yet if they're human or something else. We're getting DNA testing done, which we hope will be instructive.

short video w a few shots of the Ebu Gobu crpytid

another video with some anthropology and folklore

Last edited:

Jim

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Indonesian islands are also the home to the 2 possible humanoid cryptids the Hobbit "Ebu Gogo" from Flores and the Orang Pendek from Sumatra. This video briefly cover both.

FrKadash

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I didn't want to post this in IHTM because it happened to my granddad :D

Anyway his sighting happened back in the early 1980s I believe, at the time he had a huge circus type trailer/mobile home which was parked on my family's field in the New Forest. The trailer backed on to the forest itself, and one day my granddad was sat in his chair by himself when he saw out of the window a little man in a green suit, a funny little hat and classical gnome boots, my granddad told us the little man smiled at him and stayed on the spot then either him/it or my granddad waved at the other, I don't know who waved first but the wave was reciprocal. The gnome then simply disappeared, I want to say he said ''in a puff of smoke'' but I'm not sure now, I know the little man just vanished before my granddad's eyes. Anyway that is the story that I sent in to FT. My nan refused to believe him but he stuck by his account until the day he died.

PeteByrdie

Privateer in the service of Princess Frideswide
Reaction score
I didn't want to post this in IHTM because it happened to my granddad :D

Anyway his sighting happened back in the early 1980s I believe, at the time he had a huge circus type trailer/mobile home which was parked on my family's field in the New Forest. The trailer backed on to the forest itself, and one day my granddad was sat in his chair by himself when he saw out of the window a little man in a green suit, a funny little hat and classical gnome boots, my granddad told us the little man smiled at him and stayed on the spot then either him/it or my granddad waved at the other, I don't know who waved first but the wave was reciprocal. The gnome then simply disappeared, I want to say he said ''in a puff of smoke'' but I'm not sure now, I know the little man just vanished before my granddad's eyes. Anyway that is the story that I sent in to FT. My nan refused to believe him but he stuck by his account until the day he died.
I love that people still see the fairy folk. I don't know why, but I find it comforting. Such beings are logically so improbable, yet have been consistently observed for centuries. It gives a jaded old sceptic like me a glimmer of hope that the wild places can still contain mysteries. Good story, FrKadash. Thank you for sharing it with us.

David Plankton

I AM HIM.
Reaction score
I love that people still see the fairy folk. I don't know why, but I find it comforting. Such beings are logically so improbable, yet have been consistently observed for centuries. It gives a jaded old sceptic like me a glimmer of hope that the wild places can still contain mysteries. Good story, FrKadash. Thank you for sharing it with us.
Pete, have you read this?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fairies-Re...swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1461735901&sr=1-9

I've probably mentioned it before, maybe even on this thread but I recommend it as a fascinating read.