Fairies, Pixies, Elves, Sprites & Other Little Folk

PeteByrdie

Privateer in the service of Princess Frideswide
Reaction score

FrKadash

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I love that people still see the fairy folk. I don't know why, but I find it comforting. Such beings are logically so improbable, yet have been consistently observed for centuries. It gives a jaded old sceptic like me a glimmer of hope that the wild places can still contain mysteries. Good story, FrKadash. Thank you for sharing it with us.
A detail I forgot to add in the original letter was that my grandfather said the little man had a very large leather belt with a large metal or golden belt buckle, and he had his hand in the belt, like when you rest your thumb behind your belt.

Here's the account in the latest FT, thanks for letting me know it was featured Pete, my copy was in today's post :D
Sorry I don't have my proper camera here, so could only take a poor quality photo unfortunately. I edited the pic to try and make it a bit more readable though.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
The little man sounds like a stereotypical leprechaun.
What are they? Where do they come from?

PeteByrdie

Privateer in the service of Princess Frideswide
Reaction score
That was my thought, too. I never know what to make of such experiences, except that similar beings are described often enough that the experience should not be dismissed.

FrKadash

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Everyone has a different personal opinion and theory. For me I usually abide by John Keel's Ultraterrestrial theory, in that the majority of fortean encounters with humanoids, fairies, little people, strange Gibbering Insanity type beings (Keel would say Bigfoot and the Loch Ness monster too) are played by these Ultraterrestrial entities which are also the same beings behind the Biblical idea of Demons et al,. Ghosts as well, and Ouija board spirits in my own opinion could be the same thing, like the ghosts of deceased humans are forged by these Ultraterrestrial spirits taking on a role like an actor, this could be why Ouija board sessions often draw people in with truthful stuff and then sometimes start to twist it and tell lies or nasty stuff about the deceased person. But I also think these entities are so enclosed in their respective supernatural roles that they are as good as the real thing if you know what I mean, like designated programmed identities. And peoples observation of them, and belief help to keep the roles going and keep them programmed.

Anonymous-50446

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Reaction score

Mungoman

Mostly harmless...
Reaction score
I really never imagined, in my life, an American voice coming out of a Pixie Queen - My preference for a British pixie queens voice would be either a gently rolling west country accent, or a dancing northern Scottish one.

American? Never.

Cynical Apathist

Log off and get a life!
Reaction score
I have friends that are members of the local Native American tribe. The elders have an ongoing project keeping the old legends, culture, and language alive. (The state of Nevada now accepts native language classes as meeting the foreign language requirements for high school and university).
Many of the elders still believe in the mythos, shape shifting animals, Honawewe, Matagami, et al. Not just pretend believe like we do for Santa Claus, but accept the spirits and creatures as fact. Some claim they have recently seen the creatures, with as little concern as we report seeing a deer or raccoon in the yard. These are college educated Christian elders, who simultaneously hold both belief systems without conflict.

Vardoger

I'm #1 so why try harder
Reaction score
I really never imagined, in my life, an American voice coming out of a Pixie Queen - My preference for a British pixie queens voice would be either a gently rolling west country accent, or a dancing northern Scottish one.

American? Never.
A lot of facepalm worthy and eye roll worthy stuff on that site. :rolleyes:

Coastaljames

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
A lot of facepalm worthy and eye roll worthy stuff on that site.
America seems a font of particularly uncritical, almost quasi-religious paranormal interest.

I have friends that are members of the local Native American tribe. The elders have an ongoing project keeping the old legends, culture, and language alive. (The state of Nevada now accepts native language classes as meeting the foreign language requirements for high school and university).
Many of the elders still believe in the mythos, shape shifting animals, Honawewe, Matagami, et al. Not just pretend believe like we do for Santa Claus, but accept the spirits and creatures as fact. Some claim they have recently seen the creatures, with as little concern as we report seeing a deer or raccoon in the yard. These are college educated Christian elders, who simultaneously hold both belief systems without conflict.
Interesting stuff thanks :)

I actually think, if you did the research, that internationally, those that don't believe in such things would be in the minority when compared with those that do.

FrKadash

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Just found this interesting little article,

Sunday, 5 March 2017
Tiny Craft, Tiny Pilots

Ever since the days of Tom Thumb and Lemuel Gulliver, shrunken humans, tiny humans, and tiny humanoids have be grist to the mill of science fiction. Unfortunately, as I explained in my sci-fi blog, they are biologically impossible. That is why I find reports of such beings so intriguing. The list of shortest people reveals a number of dwarfs slightly taller and, in some cases, slightly shorter than 2 feet [60 cm]. Nevertheless, many of them had disproportionate body parts, and all of them grew up and lived among people of normal height. A breeding population of such little people might run into problems. What is certain is that any sighting of a normally proportioned adult much shorter than this is unlikely to refer to anything of flesh and blood. So what are we to make of the following reports of tiny pilots of tiny craft?
http://malcolmsanomalies.blogspot.co.uk/2017/03/tiny-craft-tiny-pilots.html?m=1

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Entertaining account of a gay man encountering an actual fairy in the Manchester gay village:

Victory

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
There are just so many historical and contemporary stories from all over the world of similar creatures being seen by humans that I think there is every chance small humanoid creatures share this planet with us, they live in caves and only occasionally come above ground.

FrKadash

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I stumbled upon this interesting account this evening. The account is from an article by author Jon Hanna,

Aliens, Insectoids, and Elves! Oh, My!

(An article about DMT entities)

by Jon Hanna

My Own Entity Encounters
The topic of psychedelic-induced "contact" has interested me since 1987, when I had my own initial discarnate entity encounter while on a couple hits of LSD. I was attending college in Stratford-upon-Avon via a program run through San Francisco City College, where I'd been studying art. As strange chance would have it, I happened to run into a friend from SF who was passing through England on his way to Germany. He slipped me two gel-tabs. One night I dropped both tabs and went out walking with a few new friends from school. Lacking any foreknowledge of how my companions felt about illicit drug use, I kept the fact that I was tripping to myself. The acid came on, and I was enjoying our walk and discussions, during which it came out that one of the women with us was a practicing Wiccan. After we turned down an old deserted Roman road, our group fell quiet for a moment. It was late in the evening, and the only sound was the crunching autumn leaves beneath our feet. As we walked, a wind blew down the road, releasing more leaves from the trees and whirling them into a sort of tunnel above our heads. The Wiccan woman began to sing in Gaelic--a language that I'd never heard before. Despite the fact that I couldn't understand the words, the minor tones of her song were hauntingly beautiful. At the first note she sang, some of the airborne leaves transformed into about a dozen faeries--exactly the sort of traditional winged pixie-like creatures painted by the artist Brian Froud. I had never seen anything like this before on acid. While luminous and sparkly, they appeared quite solid and each seemed to have an independent existence, as they playfully darted amongst the swirling leaves. It was truly magical. I was transfixed. As the final note of my friend's song sounded, I watched all the faeries morph back into wind-blown leaves. Being the only one of us on acid at the time (to the best of my knowledge), I presumed that no one else had experienced the profoundly moving vision that I had seen. Our group remained respectfully quiet for a moment. Then someone asked our vocalist the name of the song that she'd just sung, and she replied, "Oh, that one is known as 'The Song to Call in the Faeries'."
Here's the link to the full article,
https://erowid.org/chemicals/dmt/dmt_article3.shtml

Schrodinger's Zebra

I tried to warn you...
Reaction score
Someone once told me that when they were young, they once saw a gnome on the stairs of their house.

Unfortunately that's pretty much all I can tell you, and it's no longer possible to get any more information, but I fully believe that this person saw this apparition or whatever you want to call it. Mainly because I know the person very well, and mainly because there is absolutely no reason for this person to make up such a tale.

So I'm curious... does anyone know of any other instances where gnomes have been seen indoors?

I'm off to read that link now, to see if there's owt mentioned there.

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Reaction score
what makes something a gnome? I mean rather than a pixie or a brownie?

Is there a taxonomy?

Mungoman

Mostly harmless...
Reaction score
Someone once told me that when they were young, they once saw a gnome on the stairs of their house.

Unfortunately that's pretty much all I can tell you, and it's no longer possible to get any more information, but I fully believe that this person saw this apparition or whatever you want to call it. Mainly because I know the person very well, and mainly because there is absolutely no reason for this person to make up such a tale.

So I'm curious... does anyone know of any other instances where gnomes have been seen indoors?

I'm off to read that link now, to see if there's owt mentioned there.

My Grandma used to leave a saucer of milk out each night, on the hob, backdoor locked, and tell us kids it was for the hedgehogs.

After a while we picked her up on this - her only reply was, 'thank God someone's thinking'. She was a bit acerbic was our Alice Francis.

We've since figured it out to be for the hobgoblin who looked after her fire. Our Granny was Welsh in origin, born in the 1880's, and certainly had her moments, like covering the mirrors and cutlery in thundering storms, never uncrossing cutlery herself if they dropped that way, believing that spoons dropped meant a female would visit, and conversely, knives meant a male visitor and calling the magpies formally i.e. Mr Magpie and Mrs Magpie.

She was a funny old Lass and would've been right at home in Tyneside and North ( she believed that soft bairns got nowt, and that Spartans had the right idea when it came to raising children.)

Iris

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I think I wrote some time ago in a thread that was about children seeing things when they were unwell about some gnomes who visited me when I was about 2.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
My Grandma used to leave a saucer of milk out each night, on the hob, backdoor locked, and tell us kids it was for the hedgehogs.

After a while we picked her up on this - her only reply was, 'thank God someone's thinking'. She was a bit acerbic was our Alice Francis.

We've since figured it out to be for the hobgoblin who looked after her fire. Our Granny was Welsh in origin, born in the 1880's, and certainly had her moments, like covering the mirrors and cutlery in thundering storms, never uncrossing cutlery herself if they dropped that way, believing that spoons dropped meant a female would visit, and conversely, knives meant a male visitor and calling the magpies formally i.e. Mr Magpie and Mrs Magpie.

She was a funny old Lass and would've been right at home in Tyneside and North ( she believed that soft bairns got nowt, and that Spartans had the right idea when it came to raising children.)
My Welsh Gran was superstitious too. She told my mother that if someone kicks a can in the street death is coming, and if you look out of your window at the can-kicker you're inviting it to YOUR house!

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I think I wrote some time ago in a thread that was about children seeing things when they were unwell about some gnomes who visited me when I was about 2.
I probably replied with the story about my sister, aged 7 or so, who had a temperature and saw a goblin in a mirror! She was terrified. Our mother reckons Sis was nearly an adult before she accepted that it was her own face!