• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fairies, Pixies, Elves, Sprites & Other Little Folk

There was an article in the FT about flying snakes a few years ago (assuming fairies have wings, that may be a "new" addition to the folklore), though they were in North America. Could this have prompted a memory blip from you?
Didn't Herodotus mention flying snakes?

Icelandic man describes his experience of seeing a gigantic disappearing greenhouse when he was a child:

Great story!
Iceland is the most other-worldly place I've visited. I posted a photo of the Elfstone outside my hotel a few months ago and, the first time we visited I heard something bizarre on the Perlan hill.
As for this guy's memory from schooldays, I would love to know if a greenhouse was subsequently built on the site, as it has a vaguely time-slippy feel to it.

Entertaining account of a gay man encountering an actual fairy in the Manchester gay village:

There are just so many historical and contemporary stories from all over the world of similar creatures being seen by humans that I think there is every chance small humanoid creatures share this planet with us, they live in caves and only occasionally come above ground.

I stumbled upon this interesting account this evening. The account is from an article by author Jon Hanna,

Aliens, Insectoids, and Elves! Oh, My!

(An article about DMT entities)

by Jon Hanna

My Own Entity Encounters
The topic of psychedelic-induced "contact" has interested me since 1987, when I had my own initial discarnate entity encounter while on a couple hits of LSD. I was attending college in Stratford-upon-Avon via a program run through San Francisco City College, where I'd been studying art. As strange chance would have it, I happened to run into a friend from SF who was passing through England on his way to Germany. He slipped me two gel-tabs. One night I dropped both tabs and went out walking with a few new friends from school. Lacking any foreknowledge of how my companions felt about illicit drug use, I kept the fact that I was tripping to myself. The acid came on, and I was enjoying our walk and discussions, during which it came out that one of the women with us was a practicing Wiccan. After we turned down an old deserted Roman road, our group fell quiet for a moment. It was late in the evening, and the only sound was the crunching autumn leaves beneath our feet. As we walked, a wind blew down the road, releasing more leaves from the trees and whirling them into a sort of tunnel above our heads. The Wiccan woman began to sing in Gaelic--a language that I'd never heard before. Despite the fact that I couldn't understand the words, the minor tones of her song were hauntingly beautiful. At the first note she sang, some of the airborne leaves transformed into about a dozen faeries--exactly the sort of traditional winged pixie-like creatures painted by the artist Brian Froud. I had never seen anything like this before on acid. While luminous and sparkly, they appeared quite solid and each seemed to have an independent existence, as they playfully darted amongst the swirling leaves. It was truly magical. I was transfixed. As the final note of my friend's song sounded, I watched all the faeries morph back into wind-blown leaves. Being the only one of us on acid at the time (to the best of my knowledge), I presumed that no one else had experienced the profoundly moving vision that I had seen. Our group remained respectfully quiet for a moment. Then someone asked our vocalist the name of the song that she'd just sung, and she replied, "Oh, that one is known as 'The Song to Call in the Faeries'."

Here's the link to the full article,
https://erowid.org/chemicals/dmt/dmt_article3.shtml

Someone once told me that when they were young, they once saw a gnome on the stairs of their house.

Unfortunately that's pretty much all I can tell you, and it's no longer possible to get any more information, but I fully believe that this person saw this apparition or whatever you want to call it. Mainly because I know the person very well, and mainly because there is absolutely no reason for this person to make up such a tale.

So I'm curious... does anyone know of any other instances where gnomes have been seen indoors?

I'm off to read that link now, to see if there's owt mentioned there.

what makes something a gnome? I mean rather than a pixie or a brownie?

Is there a taxonomy?

Someone once told me that when they were young, they once saw a gnome on the stairs of their house.

Unfortunately that's pretty much all I can tell you, and it's no longer possible to get any more information, but I fully believe that this person saw this apparition or whatever you want to call it. Mainly because I know the person very well, and mainly because there is absolutely no reason for this person to make up such a tale.

So I'm curious... does anyone know of any other instances where gnomes have been seen indoors?

I'm off to read that link now, to see if there's owt mentioned there.

My Grandma used to leave a saucer of milk out each night, on the hob, backdoor locked, and tell us kids it was for the hedgehogs.

After a while we picked her up on this - her only reply was, 'thank God someone's thinking'. She was a bit acerbic was our Alice Francis.

We've since figured it out to be for the hobgoblin who looked after her fire. Our Granny was Welsh in origin, born in the 1880's, and certainly had her moments, like covering the mirrors and cutlery in thundering storms, never uncrossing cutlery herself if they dropped that way, believing that spoons dropped meant a female would visit, and conversely, knives meant a male visitor and calling the magpies formally i.e. Mr Magpie and Mrs Magpie.

She was a funny old Lass and would've been right at home in Tyneside and North ( she believed that soft bairns got nowt, and that Spartans had the right idea when it came to raising children.)

My Grandma used to leave a saucer of milk out each night, on the hob, backdoor locked, and tell us kids it was for the hedgehogs.

After a while we picked her up on this - her only reply was, 'thank God someone's thinking'. She was a bit acerbic was our Alice Francis.

We've since figured it out to be for the hobgoblin who looked after her fire. Our Granny was Welsh in origin, born in the 1880's, and certainly had her moments, like covering the mirrors and cutlery in thundering storms, never uncrossing cutlery herself if they dropped that way, believing that spoons dropped meant a female would visit, and conversely, knives meant a male visitor and calling the magpies formally i.e. Mr Magpie and Mrs Magpie.

She was a funny old Lass and would've been right at home in Tyneside and North ( she believed that soft bairns got nowt, and that Spartans had the right idea when it came to raising children.)

My Welsh Gran was superstitious too. She told my mother that if someone kicks a can in the street death is coming, and if you look out of your window at the can-kicker you're inviting it to YOUR house!

I think I wrote some time ago in a thread that was about children seeing things when they were unwell about some gnomes who visited me when I was about 2.

I probably replied with the story about my sister, aged 7 or so, who had a temperature and saw a goblin in a mirror! She was terrified. Our mother reckons Sis was nearly an adult before she accepted that it was her own face!

I think I wrote some time ago in a thread that was about children seeing things when they were unwell about some gnomes who visited me when I was about 2.

Maybe some Mormon midgets called to the door and your mum sent them in to see you and cheer you up.

midgets.jpg

She doesn't come across as mad.
She does look a bit like a young Björk.

"They're not small and ugly, you know...they're tall and beautiful. "

How would I know that they're Elven folk then? I mean, after all, they could be Venusians with their blond hair and blue eyes, couldn't they....Or Mr Mjölnirsson from number 42...

KnowwhatImean?

Back