• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Faith Healing

Good for you! If they're asking for "donations" for their "services" then you could be onto something. Even if they aren't asking, I suppose.

I think there might be a more appropriate thread for this but I can't find it.

READING, Pa. — A pastor in a fundamentalist Christian sect that rejects doctors and drugs has been charged in the death of a child — his own granddaughter — from medical neglect. The novel prosecution is raising hopes among some advocates that it might spur change in a church that has resisted it.

Faith Tabernacle Congregation has long told adherents to place their trust in God alone for healing. As a result, dozens of children, mostly in Pennsylvania, have died of preventable and treatable illnesses. Church members reject modern medicine as a bedrock tenet of their faith, even as some have faced manslaughter charges in child deaths dating back 35 years.

Until now, though, no leader in the sect has ever faced charges.

"It could be a new tool to save the lives of these children," said Rita Swan, one of the nation's top experts on faith-based medical neglect. She leads the group Children's Healthcare is a Legal Duty, which works to eliminate religious exemptions in state laws requiring parents to provide appropriate medical care.

With a routine course of antibiotics, 2-year-old Ella Foster would have almost certainly beaten the pneumonia that took her life in November. But her parents refused medical care, and she succumbed shortly after they asked the Rev. Rowland Foster to anoint her. ...

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...icine-case-against-pastor-is-novel/ar-BByd25Y

I think there might be a more appropriate thread for this but I can't find it.

READING, Pa. — A pastor in a fundamentalist Christian sect that rejects doctors and drugs has been charged in the death of a child — his own granddaughter — from medical neglect. The novel prosecution is raising hopes among some advocates that it might spur change in a church that has resisted it.

Faith Tabernacle Congregation has long told adherents to place their trust in God alone for healing. As a result, dozens of children, mostly in Pennsylvania, have died of preventable and treatable illnesses. Church members reject modern medicine as a bedrock tenet of their faith, even as some have faced manslaughter charges in child deaths dating back 35 years.

Until now, though, no leader in the sect has ever faced charges.

"It could be a new tool to save the lives of these children," said Rita Swan, one of the nation's top experts on faith-based medical neglect. She leads the group Children's Healthcare is a Legal Duty, which works to eliminate religious exemptions in state laws requiring parents to provide appropriate medical care.

With a routine course of antibiotics, 2-year-old Ella Foster would have almost certainly beaten the pneumonia that took her life in November. But her parents refused medical care, and she succumbed shortly after they asked the Rev. Rowland Foster to anoint her. ...

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/in-sect-that-shuns-medicine-case-against-pastor-is-novel/ar-BByd25Y
Being a Christian I find it hard to believe people are deceived by such charlatans. The man is criminal outright.

There's a scene in that new documentary about Stephen Gleason (the paralysed former football player the ice bucket challenge was all about) where it follows him to a faith healer on the orders of his fundamentalist father in the belief it will cure him. Gleason, who can just about walk at this point, goes up to the front, the preacher does the whole "Christ compels you" act, and he tries to run whereupon he collapses in a heap. It was incredibly offensive, and I felt for his wife who was plainly furious.

Disabled Daughter of U.S. Faith Healers Wants to See Her Parents Prosecuted

Mariah Walton was born with a small hole in her heart. It could have been fixed with a relatively low-risk procedure when she was still a child, but her parents, devout Mormons, did nothing. They believed that through acts of faith, including lots of prayer, God would heal Mariah.

It’s an odd position, considering that, in their world, the Almighty created her, birth defect and all. Why would you beseech God, who is supposedly omniscient and has the perfect plan for everything and everyone in the cosmos, to undo what He knowingly created?

But that’s mere logic, and logic isn’t something that holds sway over most believers.

For some unfathomable reason, praying did nothing for Mariah (pictured). Now, at 20, her health is as bad as it’s ever been. She’s permanently disabled thanks to pulmonary hypertension. A respirator and an oxygen tank go everywhere she does.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friend...-healers-wants-to-see-her-parents-prosecuted/

I believe in a the creator (I prefer to call him Lord), however. But these misguided idiots are responsible for the girls death. I don't see why they aren't put on trial!

Isn't that the fruitcake who held back last year's tornado off Florida?

Thought this was worth publicising:
News story

Faith healers in Australia preying on Russian women by praying over their valuables, then stealing them. You can criticise the Russian ladies for gullibility, but they're not the ones exploiting some very vulnerable people.

Thought this was worth publicising:
News story

Faith healers in Australia preying on Russian women by praying over their valuables, then stealing them. You can criticise the Russian ladies for gullibility, but they're not the ones exploiting some very vulnerable people.
Is that faith healing or faith stealing?

Another terrible case.

A pregnant mom of three girls so feared her husband would leave her unless she delivered a son she went to a veritable sorcerer—who told her a hole in the head would do the trick.

The pregnant woman was so desperate not to give birth to a fourth daughter that she consulted a faith healer, who said he knew just what to do: Hammer a two-inch nail into her skull.

The woman, who has not yet been identified by police, showed up at the Lady Reading Hospital in Pakistan this week with extensive bleeding from her skull. She at first told the Peshawar city medical staff she had been “advised” to recite chants and hammer the nail into her own skull to guarantee the gender of her unborn child would be male.

Upon further investigation, doctors became convinced that it would be impossible for such a self-inflicted wound, and determined that someone else had done the hammering.

The doctors did not go to police but rather posted images of the unusual head injury online. Police were alerted to the image and are now searching for the fake “aamil,” or faith healer, who advised the potentially fatal non-remedy.

They are also searching for help identifying the person who led the woman astray.

Peshawar police, who tweeted a photo of the pregnant woman’s skull with the nail intact, say they are using CCTV footage to try to to retrace the woman’s steps from the hospital to find the culprit. She left the facility immediately after the nail was removed. “The process of identifying the victim from the CCTV footage as well as from the computer entry data is underway,” police tweeted. The local police captain said a special team had been assembled to bring justice to the fake healer “who played with the life of an innocent woman and put a nail in her head with [the] false promise of a male child.”
https://www.thedailybeast.com/faith...-a-nail-in-her-skull-would-result-in-baby-boy

When my Mum was a young girl in the UK, she had a huge wart that kept growing between the knuckles of one hand. It would grow so large that eventually it would get knocked off and bleed, then grow right back.
Her mother took her to the village 'witch doctor' who told her to take a potato, chop it in half, rub both ends on the wart, and then bury both pieces in the back yard before she went to bed that night.
Well, she did that - and the next morning woke up with no wart, it was gone and never returned!

When my Grannie had a wart, she went to the local horse-woman and cadged a long, grey hair from her horse's tail. Once home, she made a loop around the offending wart with the hair and off he popped!

The irony was that the horse-woman happily subsisted with a face full of warts! She humoured my Grannie's mithering. :)

Didn't we have a thread on folklore-based wart/verruca removal?

I used to buy them off my kids, 50p a throw. Worked every time.

Around here people put masking tape or duck tape on their warts.

I guess you would have to be careful if the wart was on the private parts, ouch !

Back