• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

False Homecoming

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell with yesterday's knickers
Caveat: I know there is probably a thread about this somewhere, but I don't know what it's called so can't search for it, and b) it didn't happen to me, but my daughter.

I was on the late shift night before last, with a finish time of 10pm, so usually home around 10.20. When I got in, my daughter told me that she'd heard me arrive home about ten minutes earlier. She had the TV on, so didn't hear the car, but she (and my dog) did hear the front door bang and me come into the porch. The dog, apparently was waiting for me and was most confused when I didn't come through into the house. Dog was also a little subdued when I did, eventually, arrive home at my usual time. She (daughter, not dog, dog is clever but not that clever) said that she was absolutely sure it was me coming home.

It was a windy day and I wondered if the wind had blown the door open, but it was deffo shut when I got home (it's damp and jams).

It's a vardoger! I am a wee bit jealous as I've always fancied experiencing one. They are fascinatingly common - well, not common exactly, but within the realms of totally inexplicable strange phenomena, there are many accounts of them.

Hooray! They don't seem linked to any negative or unpleasant. Just one of those things!

Thank you both! Vardoger, that was the word I was groping for!

Spoke to my daughter about it this morning, she is still puzzled. She very definitely heard the front door (it's quite distinctive, and she was only in the next room) open and close, and the dog went to sit by the inner door, expecting me to come through. Unless it was someone walking through our unstreetlighted, rural, fairly isolated village, just trying doors...brrr... But the dog would eat a burglar.

Thank you both! Vardoger, that was the word I was groping for!

Spoke to my daughter about it this morning, she is still puzzled. She very definitely heard the front door (it's quite distinctive, and she was only in the next room) open and close, and the dog went to sit by the inner door, expecting me to come through. Unless it was someone walking through our unstreetlighted, rural, fairly isolated village, just trying doors...brrr... But the dog would eat a burglar.
Yes, I'm betting the dog would react totally differently to a stranger, than to you. Even if she didn't see you/vardoger/stranger... My dog ignores some people's footsteps (my neighbour's) and barks wildly at others, in the same place.

Back