• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

False Memories

I could have sworn that I had two identical casserole dishes. You know, those old pyrex things with a design on the side. I remember about three months ago having them out and thinking 'gosh, I never knew they were the same design, I thought I just had two roughly the same size', but them being a matching pair.

Washing them up yesterday and one has a poppy design on the side, the other has black snowflakes. I am pretty sure I've never seen the snowflake one before...
Is this the one you don’t remember? I was worried you might be referring to the black and blue Chelsea design and I’d have to go and check ours were all still there. :rollingw:

Attachments

• DC984B5D-A3DC-4B6E-840F-AFDA9CD6BA65.jpg
    DC984B5D-A3DC-4B6E-840F-AFDA9CD6BA65.jpg
    171.9 KB · Views: 13
I could have sworn that I had two identical casserole dishes. You know, those old pyrex things with a design on the side. I remember about three months ago having them out and thinking 'gosh, I never knew they were the same design, I thought I just had two roughly the same size', but them being a matching pair.

Washing them up yesterday and one has a poppy design on the side, the other has black snowflakes. I am pretty sure I've never seen the snowflake one before...
Just seen on TV, someone flicking through an old 70's Argos catalogue, and I glimpsed the very pyrex dishes with the poppy design you mentioned :)

I have what must be a false memory of listening to a news broadcast of Winston Churchill’s funeral in January 1965 when I was about 18 months old. The memory is very clear that I knew who he was and what was happening, which seems very unlikely at that age.
I remember Churchill’s funeral very well because was I five and a half, old enough to take notice.
However, at the time and for years afterwards Churchill was revered to the point of worship by people who'd known him as their War Leader.
It's possible that part of my early memory of him includes this constant discussion of his worthiness.

Reactions: Ger

Pyrex is great but alas, eminently breakable. I've owned loads of pieces which are routinely smashed and replaced from car boot sales and charity shops.
I've also lent bowls out when cooking for others and suspect I've had different ones back.

So might one of these eventualities explain your mystery?

Is this the one you don’t remember? I was worried you might be referring to the black and blue Chelsea design and I’d have to go and check ours were all still there. :rollingw:
That's the one!
Pyrex is great but alas, eminently breakable. I've owned loads of pieces which are routinely smashed and replaced from car boot sales and charity shops.
I've also lent bowls out when cooking for others and suspect I've had different ones back.

So might one of these eventualities explain your mystery?
I suspect that I've been given this snowflake one from someone with something in. The weird thing is that I've not had either of these dishes out since I thought 'oh, I've got two matching dishes!' And nobody has donated me any food either. I suspect that I've just mis-seen the dishes and seen the red one twice and thought I was looking at two separate dishes.

That's a very sensible (if borderline paranoid) attitude there, escargot. Perhaps I ought not to disclose on here that my greatest fear is being force fed marshmallows whilst wrapped tightly in bubblewrap, just in case some evil mastermind will decide to inflict that most terrifying of tortures on me.

Damn. Too late. I've said it. Oh well. Never mind.
Just enjoy the experience!

When I was about four or five I had two dreams that I thought were real. I was apparently making a fuss about not being able to find a green toy steam engine. I’d never had a green toy steam engine and an attempt was made in the end to buy me one as I refused to believe I had dreamt it.

I couldn’t actually describe it very well, nor point one out in shop windows or toy catalogues, etc. which meant the attempt was doomed and was what finally convinced me that it was a dream.

The other was about finding an intensely blue shell on a trip to the seaside. I must have been older then and after a few questions about anyone else remembering it I concluded that that was a dream as well.

I was obviously convinced the engine was real though as I do remember the story being told to people for quite some time afterwards.

When I was about four or five I had two dreams that I thought were real. I was apparently making a fuss about not being able to find a green toy steam engine. I’d never had a green toy steam engine and an attempt was made in the end to buy me one as I refused to believe I had dreamt it.

I couldn’t actually describe it very well, nor point one out in shop windows or toy catalogues, etc. which meant the attempt was doomed and was what finally convinced me that it was a dream.

The other was about finding an intensely blue shell on a trip to the seaside. I must have been older then and after a few questions about anyone else remembering it I concluded that that was a dream as well.

I was obviously convinced the engine was real though as I do remember the story being told to people for quite some time afterwards.
I think a lot of children go through that stage where dreams feel so real, and life still hasn't become quite sorted out in their heads, that they mistake dreams for reality, particularly if the dream evokes powerful emotions.

I think a lot of children go through that stage where dreams feel so real, and life still hasn't become quite sorted out in their heads, that they mistake dreams for reality, particularly if the dream evokes powerful emotions.
Perhaps they are the dreams that you actually remember, for whatever reason, for more than a few minutes that cause that confusion to kids?

I remember at infant school I had a memory of a small red steam like train on the playground and I kept looking for it in real life. But I have since come to the conclusion that must have been a dream. Funny it’s a train too.

Back