• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

False Memories

A

Anonymous

Does anyone else harbour one or more 'false memories'?

For example, I clearly 'remember' a sighting of a helicopter - a large Sea King-kind of deal - hovering over my grandparents' back garden in London when I was 3-4 years old. I recall being woken by the noise in the night, and going downstairs to join my parents and grandparents at the back door to watch it....except no-one but me could ever remember anything about it.

I also have what I think is a "false memory". I remember climbing a tree, when I was 5yrs old I think, then falling from it, and before touching the ground, begining to fall smoothly, like a leaf, and landing safely. I know this could be possibly a dream, buy inside my head it`s recorded as something that really happened.
Cerebral malfunction?

When I was about 2 years old we went on holiday to Inverness and had a day trip to Loch Ness. I remember very few things about the holiday but I do have a very strong memory about one thing in particular. We had just come out of the exhibition centre at Loch Ness and it had started raining heavily. My dad put me on his shoulders and we raced back to the car. When we got there everyone was soaked to the skin except me, I was bone dry! I spoke to my mum about this and she doesn't remember it happening, but my memory is so strong about this, I remember everyone being amazed at the fact I didn't get wet!
Even if this is not a false memory, it's still a very fortean thing to happen to me.

I have a memory of being held in the arms of my mother near a window and seeing a flying bomb or doodlebug, fly over roof tops during WW2,but this was impossible as I wasn't born until a year after the war ended.

i have a memory of being in the back of a robin reliant driving by a park with some kids playing with a beach ball on the grass and turning forwards to see two high towers which were acctually flats, i remember looking around and seeing every one dressed in early 70's style clothin and the thing is i wasnt born till 79', ive told my mother about this memory and she says she has the same memory and that it was here in the car in early 1970 when she was 10ish
could i have her memory, cos i know this one is mine and ive not been told it

cas

ps when i saw the false memory's thread i read it as false mamories to start with lol

I have a vivid memory of when I was about 3 or 4, looking out of the bathroom window at night and seeing a moon-type landscape outside. There was some kind of moonbase out there, with domes and dome-like vehicles moving very slowly between them. They were all sort of greyish-purple in colour.

I remember seeing this more than once. It wasn't until I was older and realised I was too short to see out of the bathroom window, never mind that there wasn't a moonbase out there, that I realised the whole thing was impossible.

Growing up is a process in which we gradually bring our perceptions
into line with other people's. The shades of the prison house and
Light of Common Day close in around us. The reward for this is to
be considered sane but otherwise it is nearly all loss. Mind you,
childish terrors also tend to fade and I wouldn't want to relive them!

It is disconcerting, however, to find that memories are not shared
by friends and relatives. I have a fairly good memory and find that
what I remember is often more detailed than friends who shared
experiences say twenty years ago. Oh well, I suppose it frees me
to make up outrageous things. Imagination triumphs in the end. :rolleyes:

What is really bad is when you have four sisters and they all say what you remember really happened to them ( this escalating about five minutes later into a bitch fight ) and vice versa ,
Marion

I have 2 sisters and that's enough.

Oddly tho in our family memories seem to tie up. My earliest memory of being under the kitchen table with a daschund trying to nick it's meal is corroberated by my elder sis.

i have had ltos of these, one was when i was at my grandparents house, i was layin out on their deck looking at the clouds and i bearly remember seeing a flying wing that looked like stealth bomber. of course this is entirely possible but i dunno it just seems weird. I've also had lots of experiences that i couldn't remeber if it was a dream or if it was real. those are quite strange

Josh809 said:
i have had ltos of these, one was when i was at my grandparents house, i was layin out on their deck looking at the clouds and i bearly remember seeing a flying wing that looked like stealth bomber. of course this is entirely possible but i dunno it just seems weird. I've also had lots of experiences that i couldn't remeber if it was a dream or if it was real. those are quite strange
How old are you Josh? Because there was a USAF bomber like a flying wing fitted with pusher turboprops. I think it was the one tested prior to the B-52.

casio said:
i have a memory of being in the back of a robin reliant driving by a park with some kids playing with a beach ball on the grass and turning forwards to see two high towers which were acctually flats, i remember looking around and seeing every one dressed in early 70's style clothin...
Perhaps you've been watching too many "Only Fools and Horses" repeats... :p

When I was 2 I fell down some stairs and cracked my head open and had to get stitches. As I recall, I JUMPED down the stairs. I remember getting together a whole bunch of stuffed animals and putting them in a pile at the bottom of the stairs and jumping. My mother says I didnt jump, I just fell and there was no animals at the bottom. Its just so weird, why would I remember it like that?

Nikita: something to do with brain evolvement(age) and transferring what was "pretend" to "reality"? Something to do with changing something that was bad ( hurting yourself) into something good that went a bit wrong to be able to deal with it better? or it could be niether and I'm talking pants

I have recently re-met a friend I haven't seen for about 25 years. He has described the last time we met - a weekend when he came to stay at my parents house (this was unusual as they just moved to another part of the country and only lived in this rented house for about 6 months). He has described in detail what we did, even down to taking my parents for a pre-Sunday lunch drink and taking me and my sister out on the Saturday night.
The thing is none of my family can remember anything about it, which is odd as both my sis and I had a major crush on him at the time.
Is this a false memory on his part? or am I more senile than I thought!

It's just possible Josh 809, that you saw a British Avro Vulcan, which was a 1950's nuclear bomber with a delta wing. To see one in the air is a sight never forgotten.

The RAF kept them flying until about ten years ago. They were used I belive to bomb Port Stanly airfield.

There is at least one in private hands, which was flying until about two years ago & went round the shows. It's now grounded as it needs an entire new air frame, but an American air group is intrested in buying it to rebuild as it is a rather uniqe design.

It could be that, I also had forgotten the worst part of it that amazed me later. My mom told me several years later after meeting the doctor who gave me the sticthes at a mall that at the time, they had out me in something called a papoose and it kept children still while getting stitches. It tied you in and I was the only child to get out of it. I cant remeber this at all!

David, are you a jellyhead?

when i saw the flying wing i was 7 and right now i'm 14, and i live in washington state U.S.A.

Jelly Head: I was recently told that, like trainspotters are nicknamed gricers, plane spotters are called jellyheads. As I don't know any planespotters I thought, well, David seems to know about planes, I'll ask him. Might have been wastin' me time then!

I thought it was propheads? I'm not one, I would like to point out.
I just find it useful to know what I'm colliding with.
David...plane spotter test, what were the other two V-Bombers called?

Please, sir, ! know sir!

Sit down, rynner.

(sigh)

Hermes said:
...I clearly 'remember' a sighting of a helicopter - a large Sea King-kind of deal - hovering over my grandparents' back garden in London when I was 3-4 years old. I recall being woken by the noise in the night, and going downstairs to join my parents and grandparents at the back door to watch it....except no-one but me could ever remember anything about it.

Curously I remeber seeing almost exactly the same thing - except it wasn't a sea king - it had this big bulbous cigar thing on the port side of the nose, a radar I think - and it cruised out from behind a stand of trees, about 3 meters above the ground in absolute silence, although I recall feeling the pulse of the rotors. I was standing in the family home at the time, I was about 14 or 15, and although my parents both saw it only I paid it any sustained attention... Spooky!

Niles "Unmarked Helicoptor" Calder

Back in 1990 I was driving along a dual carriageway sometime close to midnight. As I was driving I saw a bright light in the sky which did not look like a plane but more like a really bright star. I was so intrigued by this that I pulled into a layby and got out of the car for a better look. I watched it for a few seconds before it disappeared behind a cloud.
I really did believe I'd seen something weird. I left the dual carriageway after about half a mile and turned onto a road towards my house where I saw a hitchhiker. I decided to stop for him as it was absolutly chucking it down with rain.
So this is my strange memory, I observe a UFO, star, plane whatever in a clear sky and half a mile later I pick up a hitch hiker in torrential rain. You may be thinking that I'm getting 2 similar memories confused but I definatly remember babbling onto to this poor hitch hiker about the UFO I'd just seen. I remember this because I've often wondered how this poor guy felt being picked up in the middle of the night, in pouring rain by some weirdo going on about UFO's.
I can also remember many more details such as where I had been (a gig), the road I was on and even the date as I still have the ticket somewhere.

Its a phenomenon often experienced by people on telly...sun shinning brightly when they are in the car, they get out and put up an umbrella...

as a kid we used to go walking on cherhill downs (old hillfort) or salisbury plain nearly every weekend, and for years i had a very clear mental picture of the top of silbury hill - just a flat circle with long grass. i always thought this was a dream or day dream as for years it's been roped off and who in their right mind would climb it?

anyway was talking to my grandfather recently who asked me did i remember climbing up there? i looked at him blankly and he said that at the age of about three we'd gone there for a picnic and i'd said what's on top? after saying nothing/nobody knows he'd turned away for a second and on turning back been horrified to see me climbing busily up the side... naturally he called out and clambered up after me as best he could to found me at the top looking around, then led me back down the ridiculously steep grass sides. he's never forgotten it and still couldn't quite believe that i'd done it. so there you go, not a false memory or a hidden one - forgotten but remembered all at once.

also makes me think of the first time i went up glastonbury tor as a teenager. felt rather ill-at-ease coming back down the (considerably less steep) sides of it, but had a distinct feeling of deja-vu, as if picking my way down a very steep grassy slope was something i'd done before. funny really.

In that case escargot, no I ain't! I just live near Old Walden, where they have a collection of vintage aircraft & where once in a while somthing bigger is flown over for the crowds & you tend to know in advance what maybe coming over.

The Battle of Britain Flight becomes pedestrian after a while, though an old aunty of mine (who was in the WRAF in WW2), was once sleeping in the garden, when the only flying Me109 came over low. She dived for cover into the undergrowth before she fully woke up & was still swearing like a trooper twenty minutes later. Said that the last time she'd seen them B*****ds they'ed been shooting at her!:D

Oh! And Mr Jones Sir!!!!!

Would the answer be the Victor & the Valiant?:p

Back