• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

False Memory

A possibility I've been considering for a long time. Dad, to this day, prefers to do as much himself as possible, and temp fixes that end up lasting way longer than intended were not uncommmon. Also, both parents have difficulties with taking responsibility for their words and actions, Mum especially. These are prime reasons I've never been entirely able to dismiss the memory as false.
But you would really have to go some to 'impale' a finger, and it's not likely that you would need to put so much force into flushing a toilet that you could cause yourself to impale, even on wire. Although you could have scratched yourself, or spiked yourself, on it, and looking back in a panic that translated into 'impaled'.

Yeah, the impalement has always been, for want of a better phrase, a sticking point. Best hypothesis I could come up with was I 'impaled' the fleshy bit at the tip, but that would require something extremely thin, so seems highly unlikely. The "scratch that became more in my head" hypothesis is a lot more plausible.

A possibility I've been considering for a long time. Dad, to this day, prefers to do as much himself as possible, and temp fixes that end up lasting way longer than intended were not uncommmon. Also, both parents have difficulties with taking responsibility for their words and actions, Mum especially. These are prime reasons I've never been entirely able to dismiss the memory as false.
My first thought was (as Tunn theorised) that the metal hook that is connected to the plastic cistern lever had been replaced with a piece of wire and that's what you cut yourself on;
syphon.jpg

If I may interrupt the toilet talk...

I remember an episode of Law and Order that - despite a disclaimer to the contrary - was based on a local and relatively well known murder case (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Reyna_Marroquín). I was convinced of this, even remembering certain scenes with the actors involved. A few years ago I tried looking it up and found out it was actually an episode of NYPD Blue.

I remember the brass goblets, pinched the one on my parents bottle and got a hiding for it. I snuck a taste of the bottles contents once- it was dark red, quite a fruity taste reminiscent of blackcurrant throat sweets and very sweet. Not to my taste at all.

Looking back, that might be why I got the hiding rather than prizing out the goblet.

I remember the brass goblets, pinched the one on my parents bottle and got a hiding for it. I snuck a taste of the bottles contents once- it was dark red, quite a fruity taste reminiscent of blackcurrant throat sweets and very sweet. Not to my taste at all.

Looking back, that might be why I got the hiding rather than prizing out the goblet.
My sister and I shared a doll's house. There were a couple of tiny brass goblets in there - I wonder if these bottles are where they came from. We liked to re-purpose things if we could. (A particular bottle cap made the perfect boater for one of my fashion dolls!)

Monday is bin day. I went down to retrieve the recycling bin, and looked around in vain for the food caddy. We haven't been using ours as we had a hotbox, but it's much less effective than it was and so we decided to join the general food waste policy instead. Except the food box wasn't there. I walked down the street a bit but couldn't see it. Thing was, I had a distinct memory of seeing it at the roadside when I cycled past the end of the drive this morning. Except it wasn't there, because it was still back at the side of the house, but I KNEW I'd seen it down the bottom! I even remember seeing the silver house numbers that the In-House GP drew on with marker pen...

Monday is bin day. I went down to retrieve the recycling bin, and looked around in vain for the food caddy. We haven't been using ours as we had a hotbox, but it's much less effective than it was and so we decided to join the general food waste policy instead. Except the food box wasn't there. I walked down the street a bit but couldn't see it. Thing was, I had a distinct memory of seeing it at the roadside when I cycled past the end of the drive this morning. Except it wasn't there, because it was still back at the side of the house, but I KNEW I'd seen it down the bottom! I even remember seeing the silver house numbers that the In-House GP drew on with marker pen...
Friendly neighbour returning it for you?

Back