• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Family Abandons Home Owing To 'The Watcher'

Netflix is doing a show on this incident - here is a viral video in aid of the project:
Welcome to the newest episode of Come On In! I'm Karen Calhoun, from Darren Dunn Realty, and I can't wait for you to see what lies within the walls of 657 Boulevard with yours truly! Located in the highly desirable community of Westfield and originally built in 1921, this historic residence has been renovated to perfection! 4 BD/5 BA, a complete chef's kitchen with a working dumbwaiter and a hot tub wood countertop, sunroom, two-car garage, and a stunning swimming pool and spa are just some of the wonders this house has to offer. The neighborhood value? High -- and only going up! The neighbors are truly lovely. They'll keep an eye out for you! 657 Boulevard is anxious for you to move in! Apply now! https://www.netflix.com/title/81380441

Well they made Olivia Newton Johns song from Grease sound incredibly creepy as hell lol

Obviously you couldn't film this story without the family actually moving in...

Watched the first episode, not so taken by it, events that should have been downright scary weren't. I found Bobby Cannavale (as the father) annoying.

I've seen a few episodes of The Watcher now and the family shown to not do the only sensible thing that that the real family did instead: not live in the house, is ruining any enjoyment of the show for me. Forget pride, I'd be out of there asap. There's also too many plot holes not to mention the family not only not bothering to close the curtains but even also standing at the windows in their underwear. Every few minutes, I've been saying to the characters on the screen "Hey, here's an idea! .. try f***ing moving out!?".

I know this neighborhood and the culture of the area and I've always been very suspicious of the entire narrative. Anyone who could afford that house could afford a strike force of attorneys, private detectives, contractors, and retired FBI agents to remove the problem. These days there are even ways to find out what's in the walls. Something else going on.

I've seen a few episodes of The Watcher now and the family shown to not do the only sensible thing that that the real family did instead: not live in the house, is ruining any enjoyment of the show for me. Forget pride, I'd be out of there asap. There's also too many plot holes not to mention the family not only not bothering to close the curtains but even also standing at the windows in their underwear. Every few minutes, I've been saying to the characters on the screen "Hey, here's an idea! .. try f***ing moving out!?".
But the aim of The Watcher (if I've got it right, I haven't seen the series) was to MAKE the occupants move out. Sheer bloody mindedness should dictate that I would stay, very firmly, inside the house. But, as you say, Swifty, drawing all the curtains, closing the blinds, but very ostentatiously doing things that couldn't be seen, such as occasionally emerging carrying three inflatable canoes and a small model horse, leaving them on the front lawn, and going back inside. Bonus points for random hammering noises.

If The Watcher was deprived of the ability to, actually watch, but could still comment on what was happening inside the house - you know it's someone who has the opportunity to come inside. If they can no longer see what's happening, it's going to drive them out from cover...

Yes, the normal reaction esp. In New Jersey is to say "oh crap , honey we got a nutcase in the neighborhood," take normal precautions, report to the police and if it continued check with the neighbors and bring in the team. Moving the family out in terror happens in movies. These folk put down at least $300k for the house with a big mortgage. They can afford a good security setup, some contractor time, and a medium. Doesn't make sense.

Yes, the normal reaction esp. In New Jersey is to say "oh crap , honey we got a nutcase in the neighborhood," take normal precautions, report to the police and if it continued check with the neighbors and bring in the team. Moving the family out in terror happens in movies. These folk put down at least $300k for the house with a big mortgage. They can afford a good security setup, some contractor time, and a medium. Doesn't make sense.
Ramonmercado, how many horror flicks does that note reference? To start with, at least 2 called or about a watcher.

Ramonmercado, how many horror flicks does that note reference? To start with, at least 2 called or about a watcher.

Too many to cite! There are also elements of the "hidden tenant" in the series which is a common horror trope.

Overall I enjoyed The Watcher; though the way the father expressed his anger issues were a bit hard to take at times, it just made for an annoying character.

Too many to cite! There are also elements of the "hidden tenant" in the series which is a common horror trope.

Overall I enjoyed The Watcher; though the way the father expressed his anger issues were a bit hard to take at times, it just made for an annoying character.
Thanks I don't plan to watch the series (but I'm glad you liked it), I was referring to the original note provided by the original owner.

Back