• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fantastic Fo....oh, no!

Yep, have to agree there - I think Sin City worked brilliantly. It stands up to repeat viewings really well, too.

Caught FF2 on DVD the other day, and it's okay ... not as much fun as the first, but it was nice to see the Silver Surfer on screen (the promise of which has been going onsince the 1970s!)

But they screwed up on the baddie again, this time making Galactus a weak-ass ... cloud. Okay, so maybe the humanoid giant of the comic book wouldn't have really worked, but how could the producers/writers et al have thought that a big cloud in space was better? The least they could have done was give the ... cloud some godlike powers, but no. I won't spoil the ending for anyone, save it to say 'why didn't the surfer do that in the first place, then?'

Wouldn´t the answer to that question be because at first he had no reason to not see Earth destroyed?

No. The Silver Surfer was only working for Galactus so that Galactus wouldn't destroy his own home world (no doubt populated by millions of other silver surfers).

So if one Silver Surfer can stop Galactus in his tracks, imagine what a whole planet full of them could do.

So the question is: if the Silver Surfer could do what he could do, why was he working for Galactus in the first place?

But he only got those powers when he became Galactus´herald. So there was no planet full of silver surfers.

Xanatico said:
But he only got those powers when he became Galactus´herald. So there was no planet full of silver surfers.

Okay, just to clarify things: The Silver Surfer was originally a humanoid named Norrin from the planet Zen-La. Norrin always wanted adventures. When Galactus came to feed from Zen-La, Norrin tried to stop him and in the end he offer himself as a herald to Galactus in exchange of Zen-La not being eaten. Galactus saw something in him and decided to accept his trade. He gave him part of his powers, a silver like cover that would protect him from space and a board, being a sport Norrin was adept to perform in Zen-La's lava rivers (or something). After finding many worlds for Galactus to feed (and acting as a herald for Galactus, Norrin helped to save many lives, just by letting people know that the Big G was coming, giving them time to leave the planet if they could), Norrin found Earth to be very similar to Zen-La, and (at least in some versions of the story) Sue Storm to be very similar to the woman he loved. So the memories of his lost love and his home planet made him decide to revolt against Galactus.

Anyway, in Marvel continuity the Silver Surfer convinced Galactus to leave Earth alone, and he was exiled here as a punishment. I am guessing the Surfer didn't destroy Galactus, just transported it somewhere else, because quite obviously, if you are an universe spanning malady feeding on innocent planets you don't want to have a herald who can destroy you in the blink of an eye.

Also, I would have loved to see the titaninc humanoid figure of Galactus instead of the cloud, but my son believed that the real Galactus was hinding behind the cloud and that was just a manifestation of his pressence.

No planet full of silver surfers? Ah bugger - I've gone and revealed my ignorance again!

Anyhow, in the film they seemed to be implying that the Silver Surfer drew his powers from his board, whereas you seem to be saying that the Silver Surfer has the power within himself and that the board is just a form of transportation. Just what is the relationship between the silver surfer and his board?

I think in the comics he just uses it for transport. But in the movie they needed a simple way for his powers to be stolen.

Onix_Martinez said:
Also, I would have loved to see the titaninc humanoid figure of Galactus instead of the cloud, but my son believed that the real Galactus was hinding behind the cloud and that was just a manifestation of his pressence.

You do see a familiar-looking shadow at a couple of times.

Onix_Martinez said:

I assumed the 'cloud' was more a tip of the hat towards the more recent Ultimate re-imagining as 'Gah Lak Tus', the swarm of 'insects'?

Also, in the Gah Lak Tus story, as well as the female Vision/Silver Surfer character, there are multiple Silver Surfers who act as doomsday cult leaders. They also have 'angelic' wings rather than a silver board which fits in the apocalyptical theme. So may be not a planet of Silver Surfers, but certainly a lot of them.

I don't know anything about the later stuff but I do remember Galactus replaced the Surfer with Gabriel The Air Walker in FF 120 - in the 70s -

He had sortof wings -

-

Rrose_Selavy said:
I don't know anything about the later stuff but I do remember Galactus replaced the Surfer with Gabriel The Air Walker in FF 120 - in the 70s -

He had sortof wings -

-

There was a miniseries recently with a few Galactus sidekicks in it: Heralds of Galactus. Pretty rubbish if I remember correctly.

However, recently, there was a really great and, to me, unbearably sad and moving miniseries in the Marvel Knights imprint where the Silver Surfer dies because his body, or at least the surface of it, breaks down as if it had cancer or AIDs.

Back