• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Hawk The Slayer Blu-Ray in the Network sale -

http://networkonair.com/shop/2244-hawk-the-slayer-blu-ray--5027626804244.html
hawk-the-slayer-blu-ray-.jpg
Very handy. Presumably so you can see how awful it is in high-def.

An interesting list to those of us that have been round long enough to have seen most-all of these films

I've seen most of these, and laughed myself silly and the sheer brilliance of them all!

Warcraft: The Beginning.

I'm not familiar with the game but it basically looked like LOTR on speed. Quests are shorter and winged beasts & magic are used to travel a tad more quickly, more often. Humans, Orcs, Dwarves, Elves etc, Its mostly Humans & Orcs in this film.

An OK Fantasy/Thriller. 7/10.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0803096/

Last edited:
Warcraft: The Beginning.

I'm not familiar with the game but it basically looked like LOTR on speed. Quesrs are shorter and winged beasts & magic are used to travel a tad more quickly, more often. Humans, Orcs, Dwarves, Elves etc, Its mostly Humans & Orcs in this film.

An OK Fantasy/Thriller. 7/10.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0803096/
My nephew went to see it with low expectations and loved it. Take from that what you will.

The Warcraft movie is breaking box-office records... in China

The movie is tanking in the US, thanks to dismal reviews, but it had a $46M opening day in China, the best-ever midweek opening box-office in Chinese film history.

China is also a major market for the World of Warcraft MMORPG.

That number is only through 10 p.m. on Wednesday, so it could grow as late show results are tabulated. Some analysts believe that “Warcraft” could haul $150 million in its first five days of release in China.

It’s also been a boon to Imax. The wide screen company racked up a record $5.3 million in ticket sales, surpassing the previous high-water mark set by “Furious 7” with $4.7 million.

http://boingboing.net/2016/06/09/the-warcraft-movie-is-breaking.html

i watched the warcraft movie this afternoon, the reviewers are too harsh, its not a brilliant movie but it entertains well, and as an ex WOW player i found a bit more to enjoy, not enough to make me play again though. 7/10

Saw Warcraft this week, with low expectations but I enjoyed it a lot. Although it wasn't devoid of humour, it felt like there was a seriousness at its heart which was refreshing, though I can see that if one didn't buy into it then it would rapidly pall, as it seems to have done for mainstream critics. Still, I enjoyed it and will probably watch it again.

Saw Warcraft this week, with low expectations but I enjoyed it a lot. Although it wasn't devoid of humour, it felt like there was a seriousness at its heart which was refreshing, though I can see that if one didn't buy into it then it would rapidly pall, as it seems to have done for mainstream critics. Still, I enjoyed it and will probably watch it again.
High fantasy films suffer from the inherent problem that the audience has no investment in the world from the beginning, so that feeling of simply caring what happens has to be earned. It can be earned in novels and tv series more easily.

High fantasy films suffer from the inherent problem that the audience has no investment in the world from the beginning, so that feeling of simply caring what happens has to be earned. It can be earned in novels and tv series more easily.

This makes a mockery of what you are saying.The pinnacle of high fantasy on the silver screen

I saw it a second time and enjoyed it even more.

What's it all about then? That trailer consists of people in extraordinary wigs saying random stuff in sexy accents. I'm not complaining, just confused.

It does give an especially vague sense of what to expect, doesn't it?

What's it all about then? That trailer consists of people in extraordinary wigs saying random stuff in sexy accents. I'm not complaining, just confused.

It's a portmanteau fantasy movie relating three Italian fairy tales. Not for kids, though (think Company of Wolves).

I saw it a second time and enjoyed it even more.

Same here.

Warcraft's "LOTR on speed" (as you say) quality meant there weren't scenes that over-stayed their welcome second time around. I'll no doubt get it on DVD when I find it cheap in a few years, I think it's got a few more viewings in it yet.

It's a portmanteau fantasy movie relating three Italian fairy tales. Not for kids, though (think Company of Wolves).
I loved A Company of Wolves as a kid. I haven't seen it as an adult but worry I'd find it pretentious. Perhaps I should watch it again.

I loved A Company of Wolves as a kid. I haven't seen it as an adult but worry I'd find it pretentious. Perhaps I should watch it again.
I found it a bit curious.
It's different, I suppose.

And I've just Googled it and discovered it's called The Company of Wolves not A Company of Wolves, so there you go. I couldn't even get the title right. Dumb bird!

I've watched it since and of course it will now be seen as very 80's by some people ... I still like it though, the make-up F/X still stand up anyway.

In atmosphere content, it's very similar to the excellent Something Wicked This Way Comes to me.

Yeah, The Company of Wolves is fine, Angela Carter was on to a very good idea with her fairy tales revision and the film makes a decent job of presenting her themes. Plus, you know, people turning into werewolves and heads getting smashed off, etc.

Tale Of Tales: Very Grimm Tales! Got darker as the film developed. An Ogre, Giant Flea, Sea Monster, Shape Shifter and more. Set in Medieval Italy but anachronisms abound: 18th century muskets, llamas, 19th century diving suit - 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea style.

John C. Reilly dons the Vernian diving suit to hunt a Sea Monster. 8/10

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3278330/

Yeah, The Company of Wolves is fine, Angela Carter was on to a very good idea with her fairy tales revision and the film makes a decent job of presenting her themes. Plus, you know, people turning into werewolves and heads getting smashed off, etc.
Thought it was excellent myself, decidedly odd in places, which is fine.

There was also a movie of Carter's The Magic Toyshop around the same time, though it seemed to vanish without a trace afterwards, took me over 2 decades to track down a copy, even that was a DVD rip from someone's old videotape.

It's quite disturbing, also odd and has some fantasy elements to it.

They cast an adult actress in the child role as, rather like GOT in some ways, they couldn't legally have filmed what they did with a minor.

Back