• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Far Right Behind The 'Yellow Jacket' Petrol Protests?

The Gilets Jaunes have my email address!

Just received the following email asking me to sign the petition for the removal of Macron:

"Partout les citoyennes et les citoyens se mobilisent pour des causes aussi importantes les unes que les autres. Nous vous laissons découvrir notre sélection et vous engager à votre guise.

Nous Gilets Jaunes mobilisés nous appelons, celles et ceux qui ne sont rien, les humiliés, les exploités, les indignés à signer cet appel afin d' exiger un référendum pour la démission du président de la république Emmanuel Macron."

Will have to have a word with my wife when I get home, as this must have happened through the French websites she uses and for formal stuff, she shares my email.

They're after you!

Quick translation for those without linguistic talent:

Partout les citoyennes et les citoyens se mobilisent pour des causes aussi importantes les unes que les autres. Nous vous laissons découvrir notre sélection et vous engager à votre guise.

Through all the female and the male lemons in their cars for the causes of important Australians of one kind or another. We want to date and undress you, and engage with you in your choice from our selection of masks.

Quick translation for those without linguistic talent:

Partout les citoyennes et les citoyens se mobilisent pour des causes aussi importantes les unes que les autres. Nous vous laissons découvrir notre sélection et vous engager à votre guise.

Through all the female and the male lemons in their cars for the causes of important Australians of one kind or another. We want to date and undress you, and engage with you in your choice from our selection of masks.

Stuff 'n nonsense, Yithian.
We all know there are no important Australians.

Oh yeah - and Kylie!

Seems to be getting worse over the Channel, with some reports stating that the Gilets Jaunes riots have spread to French-speaking parts of Belgium (maybe the Dutch-speaking Flemish are a bit less excitable?).
In Paris, the Arc de Triomph and tomb of the unknown soldier have been desecrated with political slogans and dozens of cars and buildings have been torched and shops looted.
Interestingly, the interviews I watched on French TV with the rioters over the last couple of days show them waving French flags, singing La Marseillaise and, in a couple of cases, calling for revolution and referring to themselves as les Gaullois.
This would be akin to the BNP or whatever they're called these days (EDL is it?) seeking to overthrow parliament on behalf of the Anglo-Saxons.
Elements of the hard left in France have seized the opportunity to join the riots and attack the beleagured police too, but I (and my French wife, who has been in touch with her family and following the events closely) are convinced that populist, hard-right forces are at the core of the Gilets Jaunes movement.

Violence baguettes violence.

[B]Hans[/B]‏ @[B]HansReloaded[/B]
FollowFollow @HansReloaded

bladed weapons confiscated from rioters by the paris police.

9:35 AM - 3 Dec 2018

bagu.jpg

"Pamela keeps abreast of developments."

French DJs have effectively committed professional suicide and watched their careers go titsup by saying less than that!
(See political correctness thread).

Reports suggest between 3 - 5,000 yellow jackets in paris so at least 10% of them arrested. Saw a lot of royalist flags on demo on tv. Real looney fringe far right.

Crowds of yellow-vested protesters have tried to reach the French presidential palace in Paris, some scuffling with police firing tear gas, amid huge security aimed at preventing a repeat of last week’s rioting.

Blue armoured vehicles beneath the Arc de Triomphe and rows of riot police blocked the demonstrators’ passage down the Champs-Elysees avenue towards the heart of presidential power. A ring of steel surrounded the Elysee Palace as police stationed trucks and reinforced steel barriers in streets throughout the entire neighbourhood.

Demonstrators waving French flags and wearing the movement’s signature high-visibility vests gathered before dawn on Saturday near the Arc de Triomphe, then tried to march down the Champs-Elysees towards the presidential palace. Blocked by police, they tried other routes. Protesters threw flares and other projectiles, and were repeatedly pushed back by tear gas.

By noon, more than 500 had been detained in Paris, according to a police spokeswoman.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/break...olice-clamp-down-on-paris-protest-890814.html

Last edited:
Reports suggest between 3 - 5,000 yellow jackets in paris so at least 10% of them arrested. Saw a lot of royalist flags on demo on tv. Real looney fringe far right.

Crowds of yellow-vested protesters have tried to reach the French presidential palace in Paris, some scuffling with police firing tear gas, amid huge security aimed at preventing a repeat of last week’s rioting.

Blue armoured vehicles beneath the Arc de Triomphe and rows of riot police blocked the demonstrators’ passage down the Champs-Elysees avenue towards the heart of presidential power. A ring of steel surrounded the Elysee Palace as police stationed trucks and reinforced steel barriers in streets throughout the entire neighbourhood.

Demonstrators waving French flags and wearing the movement’s signature high-visibility vests gathered before dawn on Saturday near the Arc de Triomphe, then tried to march down the Champs-Elysees towards the presidential palace. Blocked by police, they tried other routes. Protesters threw flares and other projectiles, and were repeatedly pushed back by tear gas.

By noon, more than 500 had been detained in Paris, according to a police spokeswoman.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/break...olice-clamp-down-on-paris-protest-890814.html

I spotted several protesters with 'FREXIT' slogans daubed on their gilets jaunes.

More amusing though are the allegations that some protesters were chanting "nous voulons Trump pour président" (we want Trump for president). After Macron rolled out the red carpet for Trump in his lavishly OTT state visit, that would be the ultimate insult!

Violence baguettes violence.

[B]Hans[/B]‏ @[B]HansReloaded[/B]
FollowFollow @HansReloaded

bladed weapons confiscated from rioters by the paris police.

9:35 AM - 3 Dec 2018

View attachment 13446

FALSE

The photographs posted by @HansReloaded did not originate in the gilets jaunes protests of November and December 2018, and could be found online well before that period. They appear to have been posted originally in September 2017 by a French Twitter user who added the caption “French self-defense”:

French self-défense. pic.twitter.com/tgvymxZCrK
— Buby-stoukette ☆ (@BubyBuubs) September 12, 2017

That user confirmed in a later tweet that the photographs were taken at a branch of La Chaise Longue, a chain store with locations throughout France that specializes in novelty household items and gifts, such as the “couteau à pain baguette” (“baguette knife”) — which can be purchased from La Chaise Longue’s online store for €21.95 ($24.99 as of 6 December 2018):

SOURCE: https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/baguette-knives-paris-protests/

Received an email this morning (or more strictly speaking my wife did) inviting us to attend the inaugural meeting of Les Gilets Jaunes à Londres (Yellow Vests, London chapter).

https://london.frenchmorning.com/20...roupe-de-soutien-aux-gilets-jaunes-a-londres/

Some leaders of the movement are keen to see it spread to other countries. There have already been demonstrations in The Netherlands and Belgium, thankfully without the violence seen in France.
Looks like they are initially emailing French ex-pats in the UK, but would like to see the protests spread to the wider population.

I disagree with their politics, but would be interested to hear what message they are peddling in the UK.

If anyone's interested, the meeting is at the Wellington pub in Lambeth SE1 8UH (just over the road from Waterloo station) this Saturday at 15:00.
Entry is free.

Received an email this morning (or more strictly speaking my wife did) inviting us to attend the inaugural meeting of Les Gilets Jaunes à Londres (Yellow Vests, London chapter).

https://london.frenchmorning.com/20...roupe-de-soutien-aux-gilets-jaunes-a-londres/

Some leaders of the movement are keen to see it spread to other countries. There have already been demonstrations in The Netherlands and Belgium, thankfully without the violence seen in France.
Looks like they are initially emailing French ex-pats in the UK, but would like to see the protests spread to the wider population.

I disagree with their politics, but would be interested to hear what message they are peddling in the UK.

If anyone's interested, the meeting is at the Wellington pub in Lambeth SE1 8UH (just over the road from Waterloo station) this Saturday at 15:00.
Entry is free.

Hmmm, the organiser is opposed to a wealth tax. I thought the yellow jackets were supposed to represent the interests of ordinary people.

Lots of ordinary people are opposed to a wealth tax.

Lots of ordinary people are opposed to a wealth tax.

If it only affects the very rich, if your protest movement is based on the fact that workers, small farmers, truck-drivers and the self-employed in general are paying too much tax then It's surprising that you would oppose a wealth tax.

Reactions: Jim
15:00 at the Wellington pub. Meat raffle £1 a strip. Don't spit on the carpet.

Given the less than clandestine nature of the meeting, I wonder how many cameras will be trained on the attendees? Will there be more undercover Special Branch than aggrieved citizens?

If it only affects the very rich, if your protest movement is based on the fact that workers, small farmers, truck-drivers and the self-employed in general are paying too much tax then It's surprising that you would oppose a wealth tax.

Many grass roots / 'populist' movements are a bit of an ideological lucky dip? Once any elements within attempt to establish some sort of more formal foothold in the political spectrum expect it to fracture into a score of bickering pieces.

15:00 at the Wellington pub...

A political movement from France...meeting at The Wellington Hotel? Opposite Waterloo Station? I'm not sure if that's deliberate irony, or coincidence.

Many grass roots / 'populist' movements are a bit of an ideological lucky dip? Once any elements within attempt to establish some sort of more formal foothold in the political spectrum expect it to fracture into a score of bickering pieces.

A political movement from France...meeting at The Wellington Hotel? Opposite Waterloo Station? I'm not sure if that's deliberate irony, or coincidence.

Indeed, it demands increased services, better state pensions and benefits but wants to cut taxes. It's "leadership" does not represent the base.

(ABOVE) If the leadership doesn't represent the base it has that much in common with Labour and the Conservatives, at least.

(ABOVE) If the leadership doesn't represent the base it has that much in common with Labour and the Conservatives, at least.

The yellow vests "leadership" try and placate the base with the demands for pensions etc but really represents tax cuts for the wealthy. But if those less well off are to get better services and lower taxes then it the better off who must pay more tax. Otherwise you are dealing with voodoo economics.

Can you smell the scaly hand of Russia trying to wreck the EU and NATO behind this? I can.

Can you smell the scaly hand of Russia trying to wreck the EU and NATO behind this? I can.

I really don't, I see another anti-tax movement being manipulated to deliver massive tax cuts to the ultra-rich while ordinary people get crumbs and a bonus of cutbacks in essential services.

Back