• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
I come across EnolaGaia's many postings
When I happen across a thread which I have to look back through for something and I see his avatar with the words 'Account Retired' beneath it, I feel that the wording somehow doesn't do him justice.
Maybe it should read something like "Revered member - gone but not forgotten"?

When I happen across a thread which I have to look back through for something and I see his avatar with the words 'Account Retired' beneath it, I feel that the wording somehow doesn't do him justice.
Maybe it should read something like "Revered member - gone but not forgotten"?
For me, when reading an old thread that I just discovered, it's more like "Oh, look! Someone has posted a detailed and interesting reply." Then I look up to see who it was - and his status - and realize my chance to ask a follow-up question is gone.

:(

We've just received the news that our good friend and fellow moderator @EnolaGaia has died.

We'll confer shortly, I hope, and decide how much information is appropriate to release.

A big thank you to him for everything he did here; he was a fine man and a major part of the reason the board runs smoothly on a daily basis.

Rest In Peace.
Vale.

I am so sorry I am so behind on events here. What sad news.

He was my favourite poster here and his responses were very measured, knowledgeable and encouraged further thought or research. he welcomed me when I was first posting and without his encouragement I don't know if I'd have submitted an article to FT.

Farewell EnolaGaia.

I've been asked by Enola/Randy's cousin Bob to update his old friends on what has apparently been a very long and difficult process:

Randy was buried alongside several relatives on Friday 15th of December at Glenwood Cemetery, Ohio.

The decision was taken independently by a lawyer and, consequently, no mourners were present at the interment. A grave marker will shortly appear, but as yet I do not have a plot number.

From our earlier conversation, I infer that the unsatisfactory nature of the foregoing was the ultimate product of the suddeness of Randy's death and a failure to discover any instruction or intimation of his final wishes.

While I understand this post will likely provoke curiosity, I have posted all I know here. When the precise location of the grave is made known to me, I shall post it here.

Thinking ahead, if any board member is located within reasonable travelling distance of this cemetery, we (collectively) might consider a floral tribute from the community. It needn't be a sea of flowers, but a token of our affection would cost each of us very little if we could find a volunteer to deliver it.

I'm so sorry to hear this he was a generous and intelligent man. Between October and November last year he was helping my colleague and I with the analysis of some historical photos. We had to temporarily hold that piece of work but returned to it a week or so ago, I was just writing the acknowledgement section when I realised I wasn't sure about his surname. I thought it was Whitaker but you don't want to get it wrong, so I just pm'ed him when I noticed the 'Account Retired' notice and found this thread.
IMO, it doesn't matter how we find out, it is always such a terrible shock. I'm so sorry for your loss, Oldrover.

I did post this already on the forum, but it was before this thread was set up and I just cannot remember where I posted it, I'm sorry, Todd, Yithian and Enola. :oops:

If you have a chance, pass on my condolences about the loss of Enola Gaia on Fortean Forum... He was brilliant!!

Best regards,
Todd Feinman

Well, Randy's gone.

It almost feels like a breach of protocol to refer to him as such on the stage side of the curtain, but he was never overly reticent when it came to biographical detail, and he only preferred to employ the Enola Gaia moniker here owing to his awareness of the miasma of mirth that sometimes accompanies the name 'Randy' on the British side of the Atlantic.

We've taken a day to gather the facts and ruminate on what it would be appropriate to release; I hope the following goes some way to satisfying everyone's natural curiosity without offending the sensibilities of his 'real-life' friends and family.

Randy was taken to hospital in the first week of December. He knew there was something seriously amiss ('I realised I was compromised' being his memorable phrase), but until the doctors informed him he'd had multiple heart attacks in a single day, he didn't know how bad it was.

Two weeks of boredom, medical tests, and food that was 'hard to take' ensued—the unpleasantries being compounded by a lack of Internet access—but he was glad to be home before Christmas, planning his revised lifestyle, and even tinkering with the controls here. I don't intend to quote his words extensively, but I suspect he would have contributed the following message (for fellow moderators) to the Christmas Thread if he had not been unwell and doubly plagued by extreme weather and power/connection outages:

In a curious way my illness has fostered more of the old fashioned basic "peace on earth; good will to men" Xmas holiday attitude in me and my contacts than I've seen in years. I've noticed more people ignoring Yuletide flash and frivolities and expressing more serious consideration of and affection for those they know. The messages and conversations incoming from folks who've not proactively communicated with me in years have been an unexpectedly comforting phenomena reminiscent of the ways we used to give more attention to expressing thanks for our families and friends.
[...]​
I'd (...) request that everyone note and / or reflect upon how the peace and happiness takes the edge off the unrelenting existential edginess that's plagued us the last few years. This is the most important part of the season's meaning, and we'd do well to keep spreading genuine peace and happiness into the coming year.

Alas, he didn't make it that far; on Tuesday old friends in daily contact reported that he had relapsed and died at home in Ohio over the New Year.

His surviving relatives are mostly cousins, and as far as we know no funeral or memorial service has yet been planned. I have just been sent a contact address for them and intend to write with our collective condolences tonight, taking cues for content from this thread. Any additional information I receive will, of course, appear here.

I had thought first to write of Randy's fearsome intelligence, but on putting that down in pixels, I realised at once that it was inaccurate, for though he was undoubtedly a very clever man, his tone was seldom condescending and he rarely spoke down to others. It's certainly true that he could leave me dumbstruck at times with his flights of logic, but this was always unintentional; he was no obscurantist and, as he might have put it himself, he did not view intimidation as a constructive tool.

All of the moderators had a good relationship with him. Being hyper-efficient certainly helped, but he was also very accommodating and would patiently lay out the complex technicalities of why we were liable to be overrun with Russian spybots or some mercenary hacker crew if we didn't take steps A, B and C—and as you can see, this mesage board is spotless, spamless, and enviably well-ordered!

It took only a couple of weeks for the two of us to become pretty much totally simpatico in terms of the aims and management of the board, and I couldn't have asked for a more supportive partner. He took an interest in my family and offered the kind of frank and incisive 'over the horizon' advice (a favoured term of his) that can only bridge the generational gap if expressed carefully and with love.

I shall miss him.

As chance would have it, he told me the song he 'might want played' at his funeral:

Farewell.
This is such a fantastic message, among the millions that have come through over the years. You're a diamond geezer, Yith.

I'm raising a jar to EG tonight. Slainte, old boy. RIP

I've been asked by Enola/Randy's cousin Bob to update his old friends on what has apparently been a very long and difficult process:

Randy was buried alongside several relatives on Friday 15th of December at Glenwood Cemetery, Ohio.

The decision was taken independently by a lawyer and, consequently, no mourners were present at the interment. A grave marker will shortly appear, but as yet I do not have a plot number.

From our earlier conversation, I infer that the unsatisfactory nature of the foregoing was the ultimate product of the suddeness of Randy's death and a failure to discover any instruction or intimation of his final wishes.

While I understand this post will likely provoke curiosity, I have posted all I know here. When the precise location of the grave is made known to me, I shall post it here.

Thinking ahead, if any board member is located within reasonable travelling distance of this cemetery, we (collectively) might consider a floral tribute from the community. It needn't be a sea of flowers, but a token of our affection would cost each of us very little if we could find a volunteer to deliver it.
Thanks, Yith.
Enola/Randy, there will always be a special place in our hearts for you - the members of the board will remember you.

The dead might have ears. Post a cyber tribute to our fallen comrade.

He was an educator extroardinaire. There's been an emptiness aboard since his passing, not to denigrate the work our board staff do. He had an answer for every fucking thing you'd have wondered. God bless Randy.

When you're able to discover his plot number Yith, I'd like to mail the cemetery (or his friend) a nice but small (because Randy wouldn't want anything vulgar) hag stone so it can be placed at his resting place somewhere by someone. Something only about the size of a 50p coin or smaller placed by the side. I'd send two or three so whoever receives it can chose which one to give to his plot then do something else cool with the other two.

The dead might have ears. Post a cyber tribute to our fallen comrade.

He was an educator extroardinaire. There's been an emptiness aboard since his passing, not to denigrate the work our board staff do. He had an answer for every fucking thing you'd have wondered. God bless Randy.
And he was never a twat about it. Top bloke.

Errata!

Having exchanged new year's pleasantries with Randy's cousin, it has emerged that I got the wrong end of the stick, there being cemeteries of the same name in both the state of his last home and that of his birth.

Randy is interred in the Whitaker family plot at Glenwood Cemetery in Bristol, Tennessee.

The date of death was officially recorded by the medical examiner as 26 December 2022, which should permit anyone who wanted to make enquiries and locate the grave.

No further word on his grave marker.

Edit: I have emailed the cemetery for more details and am waiting for a reply.
Edit 2: The email bounced--will have to make a call when time allows.

Last year I went out to see the Quadrantid meteors, thinking of him since I know he loved a meteor shower. I saw only one, a single very bright fireball. It seemed fitting.:hoff:
I think of him now and then when I come across something I think he would find interesting. Usually, I post it here anyway, since he was far from the only one who would want to see it. It's just not the same without him.

it has emerged that I got the wrong end of the stick, there being cemeteries of the same name in both the state of his last home and that of his birth
Is this^^ a mildly-Fortean coincidence?

@Enola would've loved any apparently-anachronistic timelines or bilocations-of-interment being reported about him on the Forum.

It seems so....appropriately (and respectfully fitting.

And this unwittingly-dark comment sends a shiver of disproportionate Poe-like fear down my spine:
I have emailed the cemetery for more details and am waiting for a reply
Bless you, @EnolaGaia... (and thanks @Yithian )

Last edited:
Unfortunately—unless I've misunderstood you or made a mistake in my posts—the dates are as follows [British format]

Randy died: 16/12/22
Randy was buried: 15/12/23
I was notified of his burial: 21/12/23
I made my latest update: 28/1/24

(EDITED: so as to recognise that the post-mortem 'last post' observation is just based upon a single-digit typo from @Yithian - 16/12/22 is evidently meant to read 26/12/22 )

Last edited:
Back