• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fashion (Clothing; Attire): Environmental Impacts

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
We don't often think of the garment / clothing / fashion industry as a major polluter and producer of waste, but it most certainly is ...

The Atacama Desert in Chile is famous as the driest place on earth. It's also the site of the biggest unsold clothing dump on the planet.
Chile's desert dumping ground for fast fashion leftovers

A mountain of discarded clothing including Christmas sweaters and ski boots cuts a strange sight in Chile's Atacama, the driest desert in the world, which is increasingly suffering from pollution created by fast fashion.

The social impact of rampant consumerism in the clothing industry -- such as child labor in factories or derisory wages -- is well-known, but the disastrous effect on the environment is less publicized.

Chile has long been a hub of secondhand and unsold clothing, made in China or Bangladesh and passing through Europe, Asia or the United States before arriving in Chile, where it is resold around Latin America.

Some 59,000 tons of clothing arrive each year at the Iquique port in the Alto Hospicio free zone in northern Chile.

Clothing merchants from the capital Santiago, 1,800 kilometers (1,100 miles) to the south, buy some, while much is smuggled out to other Latin American countries. But at least 39,000 tons that cannot be sold end up in rubbish dumps in the desert. ...

"The problem is that the clothing is not biodegradable and has chemical products, so it is not accepted in the municipal landfills," said Franklin Zepeda, the founder of EcoFibra, a company that makes insulation panels using discarded clothing.

"I wanted to stop being the problem and start being the solution," he told AFP about the firm he created in 2018.

- Water waste -

According to a 2019 UN report, global clothing production doubled between 2000 and 2014, and the industry is "responsible for 20 percent of total water waste on a global level."

To make a single pair of jeans requires 7,500 liters (2,000 gallons) of water. ...

Whether the clothing piles are left out in the open or buried underground, they pollute the environment, releasing pollutants into the air or underground water channels.

Clothing, either synthetic or treated with chemicals, can take 200 years to biodegrade and is as toxic as discarded tires or plastics. ...
FULL STORY: https://news.yahoo.com/chiles-desert-dumping-ground-fast-023315135.html?fr=sycsrp_catchall

Last edited:
This article from Business Insider provides more information on the Atacama dumping situation.

AtacamaClothesDump.jpeg
A mountain of unsold clothing from fast-fashion retailers is piling up in the Chilean desert

... Fast fashion, while affordable, is extremely harmful to the environment.

For one, the fashion industry accounts for 8 to 10% of the world's carbon emissions, according to the United Nations. In 2018, the fashion industry was also found to consume more energy than the aviation and shipping industries combined. Researchers estimate that the equivalent of a garbage truck of clothes is burned and sent to a landfill every second.

And the rate at which consumers buy clothing does not appear to have slowed down in the 21st century. According to statistics from the Ellen McArthur Foundation, a UK-based think-tank and circular-economy charity, clothing production doubled during the 15 years from 2004 to 2019. McKinsey also estimated that the average consumer purchased 60% more clothes in 2014 than they did in 2000. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.insider.com/discarded-fast-fashion-clothes-chile-desert-2021-11

I think most of us care, we just don't know what to do about it.
It needs a lot of labour, but here are some suggestions:
  • Some fabrics could be shredded and mixed with clay to make mud bricks, fine for use in a desert.
  • Soil erosion could be combated by shredding fabrics and making netting, which could be buried in parts of the land where soil erosion is greatest. Some of this fabric may eventually rot and biodegrade over time.
  • Some of that clothing can be burned in an incinerator to generate power.
  • Instead of sending perfectly good clothing to the tip, maybe it could be redistributed to 3rd world countries. I mean, if they are throwing it away, they can afford to give it away. They could remove brand labels and anything that would identify it as designer wear.
  • Some fabric can be shredded and combined with carbon fibre and resin to make structural items.
  • Cotton items can be shredded and made into high-quality paper.
  • Items made of nylon can be melted and the plastic can be recycled (up to a point).

I was thinking not to buy it in the first place.

I very seldom buy new clothes, I cant afford them for a start, and I can always find good stuff at the car boot or charity shop; people give me stuff because they know full well that I will use it until it wears out, and sometimes I find stuff thrown out.

When stuff wears out I give it to the local garage who always need rags to wipe things with; of course it then gets thrown out but it has had a final use first, and they are grateful they dont have to buy in that blue paper.

One of my Heritage groups is making rag rugs. I save the nicer stuff for them.

Im sure what I am doing is pretty milquetoast and in a minute someone will come along with much more effective ideas.

I was thinking not to buy it in the first place.

I very seldom buy new clothes, I cant afford them for a start, and I can always find good stuff at the car boot or charity shop; people give me stuff because they know full well that I will use it until it wears out, and sometimes I find stuff thrown out.

When stuff wears out I give it to the local garage who always need rags to wipe things with; of course it then gets thrown out but it has had a final use first, and they are grateful they dont have to buy in that blue paper.

One of my Heritage groups is making rag rugs. I save the nicer stuff for them.

Im sure what I am doing is pretty milquetoast and in a minute someone will come along with much more effective ideas.
I think every single effort helps. I also very seldom buy and enjoy looking a little Raggedy Annie. It keeps my neighbors wondering :)
Seriously, as long as conspicuous consumption and consumerism are signals of social status, the problem likely is not solvable.

CBC Marketplace has season 45 episode 14 in which they track down where all of our (crappy) donated clothes end up that the charities can't sell. It ends up in third world trash heaps like the one in OP.

I used to think I was being good by donating clothes to charity shops, where some of it can be shipped to poor people in developing countries.

But have since read a lot this gets dumped in these countries, and slows the growth of their own clothing industries and styles.

The first post (above) addressed unsold clothing being dumped in the Chilean desert. This US News & World Report article addresses the even broader issue of industrialized nations dumping huge amounts of used 'fast fashion' apparel in Africa and Asia. The full article contains listings of exporting / importing nations, statistics, and much more discussion on the adverse effects of this dumping.

How Fast Fashion Dumps Into the Global South

A major point of contention at the United Nations Climate Conference – which comes to an end this weekend in Glasgow, Scotland – is the divide between wealthy and developing countries. And just as there is an increasing divide between countries that became rich from fossil fuels powering their economies and poor countries being told those fuels are now too dangerous for the planet, the fast fashion industry is exposing a chasm between wealthy countries exporting used clothing and developing countries becoming textile dumping grounds.

Currently, the U.S. leads the world in secondhand clothing exports. In 2018, the U.S. exported nearly 719 million kilograms (1.58 billion pounds) in secondhand clothing, over 200 million kg higher than its runner up, Germany. These exports end up in secondhand markets around the world, particularly in the Global South, and often at a rate and volume higher than its recipients can handle. ...

This problem is especially pronounced across Africa, which counts six of the top 20 countries for secondhand clothing imports – Kenya, Angola, Tunisia, Ghana, Tanzania and Uganda – and South Asia, where Pakistan and India receive the highest and second-highest volume of secondhand clothes worldwide. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.usnews.com/news/best-co...te-mans-clothing-is-clogging-the-global-south

It's not just donated clothing. This problem of "dumping" relates to other products as well, having an adverse impact on local economies.

Back