• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Fashion & Clothing: Follies, Fads & Social Norms

Ah, this is the kind of discussion I enjoy!

I was inspired to look at boating blazers and 1 and 2 are very nice. But probably I'm too old for that. I'm too much a cheapskate for numer 3. And that blazer is too thight, I hate that.
View attachment 75158View attachment 75159View attachment 75160
Me off to one of the grandchildren’s christenings a few years back. Not sure if the candy striped jacket I am wearing would be classed as a blazer or a sports jacket.
Whatever, I’ve unintentionally lost a shed load of weight since that was taken and it now hangs off my shoulders…off to the charity shop.

FullSizeRender 4.jpeg

As a big fan of The Prisoner, I was invited to a wedding in The Village. I arrived on friday night, spent the whole weekend there and left on sunday evening. My stay above the pottery shop overlooked 6’s place. Oddly, I decided to sport an off-white linen suit. (Which is what 6 would have noticed of course).

This seems to be the regular outfit of Ralph Lauren. No one else could get away with this combo:
20240408_212951.jpg

When you're wealthy, you can dress any way you wish at formal occasions.
I've been to several formal events and have a full evening suit, with either waistcoat or cummerbund, and bow ties. It's part of the image ... and it increases the 'imposter syndrome' in me ... but I embrace it with enjoyment.
Anyone can dress the way they wish, but there are expectations at certain occasions. The trick is being so rich, no one dares to object ... just admire their 'eccentric' or 'original' style.

Me off to one of the grandchildren’s christenings a few years back. Not sure if the candy striped jacket I am wearing would be classed as a blazer or a sports jacket.
Whatever, I’ve unintentionally lost a shed load of weight since that was taken and it now hangs off my shoulders…off to the charity shop.

View attachment 75290
I'm getting a Morrissey vibe here T;
mrsy.jpg

I've been to several formal events and have a full evening suit, with either waistcoat or cummerbund, and bow ties. It's part of the image ... and it increases the 'imposter syndrome' in me ... but I embrace it with enjoyment.
Anyone can dress the way they wish, but there are expectations at certain occasions. The trick is being so rich, no one dares to object ... just admire their 'eccentric' or 'original' style.
T-shirt, shorts and flip-flops.
Especially for job interviews.

A colleague asked me to repair a jacket that has a rip along the front facing where the studs are. I've advised using Tenacious Tape which will do a better fix than sewing and take about two minutes.

Some people's down coats end up nearly made of that stuff. :chuckle:

I've often thought that beautiful people look good in almost anything, it's them making the 'look' look good, and I guess likewise rich people retain their status in almost anything.

Not so much as clothes maketh the man as the other way around.

I mean, heck, cool people even made smoking look good.

A few years ago in a decent hotel in Washington we saw a bloke sitting eating breakfast with a guest.

The guest was in a full suit and the one I assume was staying in the hotel was in his pyjamas.

He didn't look at all bothered.

He was in front of me asking for a yoghurt. I was intending to get some scrambled egg, there were a few portions available. Whilst he waited for his yoghurt he tipped the lot into a bowl and eat it whilst waiting.

I didn't wait for more to come ouf.

Ech! I saw a strident woman slop and shout around in pyjamas at breakfast in an iconic spa hotel in Budapest, a few years ago.

Staff did not bat an eyelid. Maybe she was rich. Fellow diners looked askance at each other. Repulsive! :(
During the morning there seems to be a 'thing' around where I live of women going to the local shop over the road in their pyjamas and dressing gowns. I think it's become fashionable to do that.

I've yet to see any men doing the same.

Yes, here too. People wearing pj bottoms with t shirts. I once saw a couple out at the mall in ONESIES. Thank goodness I have not seen that since.

Back